Chapter 51 The end of an era


Reviews are wonderful and to all who take the time to write, I thank you. For those who e-mail me direct, it is wonderful to hear from you.




Buffy could hardly contain her curiosity over the events in the library. She stood at her mother’s side and watched the ballroom doors for any sign of William or her father. They had been gone some time and many whispered conversations were being held behind the fluttering fans of the ladies.

Holding her head high, Buffy waited. The men had been gone for more than thirty minutes and she was now officially worried. The Prince of Wales was widely known to hold grudges for years and if he afforded the cut direct, it was the end of that person in society. Everyone in the room had heard Drusilla say that her father had invited her to the ball and Prinny would never forgive him for the insult he had received this night.

She thought she would not care, but deep down she did. Until recently she had loved her father very much and it had shocked her to the core that he had conspired to treat her as he had. It had surprised her to hear from his own lips how much he wanted to distance himself from a family who loved him.

Eventually the ballroom doors opened for the entry of the Prince followed by his aides, William and her father. William was smiling from ear to ear as he caught her eye. She smiled at him in return, not realising half the ton noticed the interaction between the couple. There was no doubt in anyone’s mind that Lord William Whitmore, heir to the Duke of Annandale, had finally found his match.

Lady Joyce stared at her husband as he entered the room. His face looked ravaged and she wondered how the Prince had reaped his revenge. She had loved this man for over half her life and it was not easy to ignore the feelings she held inside. However there was nothing as precious to her as her children, and he had hurt them deeply. Dawn as yet did not understand the hurt her father was about to bestow, and she hoped Buffy and Xander would shield her from the worst of the ton’s derision. It was good that the family would be removing to William’s home soon.

Annandale could feel Joyce’s distress. He stood behind her and slightly to her right. His hand itched to lie on her shoulder to give comfort, but it was a gesture he could not use in front of the ton. This graceful woman had caught his heart in the past week and he longed to spend more time with her. He was considering following her little family to Annandale after the marriage.

Craven drew up in front of Joyce and nodded. When he asked her to accompany him out of the room for a moment, Annandale used all his will-power not to follow. His son was talking in hushed tones to Buffy who was nodding her understanding. He sincerely hoped his son was not discussing what had happened when they had left the room; there were two many ears surrounding them.

William was whispering to Buffy that she need not worry and he would explain all in more detail later. He, like his father, realised that too many people were curious to know what had happened during their absence and he did not wish the details to be known outside the family just yet. When Craven removed himself to the country, the ton would come to its own conclusion. Whatever scenario the ton decided to place on his departure was none of his concern.

Xander, standing at Buffy’s side, was almost dancing from foot to foot in curiosity. His love, Lady Cordelia Chase, stood at his side chaperoned by her mother. Although many did not consider him to have much sense, Xander realised that family matters must stay within the family.

William turned and smiled at Xander. When he gave an almost imperceptible nod in his direction, Xander realised things were not as black as he believed. His sigh of relief was noticeable to William and his smile grew in response. William doubted that Xander’s prospects with the Chase chit would be damaged by tonight’s proceedings. After all, Xander would one day be a duke. A lot of scandal could be forgotten when a dukedom was on the marriage mart.

****

Craven drew Joyce into the library, the scene of his humiliation at the hands of the Prince of Wales. The one thing he had enjoyed about his marriage was the fact the Joyce had been so biddable to his wishes. She would know the truth by the end of the evening due to Whitmore’s presence at his humiliation.

“I am heading for Craven Hall tomorrow, Joyce.”

Expecting his wife to ask questions, he was surprised when she stood silent at his declaration. There was nothing he could do but tell her of the Prince’s ‘command’. When he outlined the Prince’s plans for the wedding, Joyce said nothing

Joyce continued to look at her husband with no emotion on her face. Craven could take her silence no longer, he had spoken at length for over twenty minutes and throughout that time she had said nothing. His temper rose at her lack of emotion.

“Have you no comment to make, Joyce? Or will you continue to stand there like a statue? My god, no wonder I hardly shared your bed, you never moved between the sheets either.”

Turning bright red in the face, Joyce’s temper snapped. Over twenty five years of frustration was pent up inside her and this was the opportunity to let it all out.

“Why, you absolute bastard of a husband. For over twenty five years you have used my money for your own ends while you used me as your brood mare. I have never even had your respect in all that time, have I Henry? You married me for money and thought to push Buffy down the same path. You reeled William in using the trust my family set up for my children. Did you tell him that you were handing him her dower and her yearly portion from your own funds?”

Craven could not look at her in the face. She had deduced his actions in arranging this marriage and he was not happy at being caught out. His embarrassment pushed him into attack.

“Do you think anything else would have made him even consider her? You know Annandale and I had planned this marriage almost from her birth. By the time she was of age to marry, he was so far down the road of debauchery only the promise of money would bring him to heel.”

Joyce shook her head at her husband and laughed. Wiping the tears from her eyes with her hand she thought it was time he heard some truths.

“Henry, this is the best match that I have ever seen in ton circles. He adores her with his whole being. I have talked to him at length over the last week and he would do anything for her. Buffy may not yet be sure of her own heart, but I am sure that she will love him the way her loves her very soon. He discarded his mistress in front of three hundred people and his Regent for her, Henry, there is nothing you can do now to stop this match.”

She looked with scorn at her husband before she continued.

“The best part of this marriage is your insistence they move to the Annandale estate. I will be happy to join them and it will be a wonderful place to bring up Dawn. I do not need you any more, Henry, and the quicker you are out of our lives the better.”

Craven stared back at his wife, she had never spoken to him like this in all their time together.

He continued to stare as she continued.

“I am happy with the wedding arrangements the Prince has decided upon, Henry. After tonight I hope to never see you in my life again. We cannot divorce as there is no cause on my side and there never will be. I absolve you of all guilt for the women you have bedded over the duration of our marriage, and wish you happiness at Craven Hall.”

She walked past him to the library door. As she turned the handle she looked back at him and shook her head.

“I might have made you a good wife if you had loved me, Henry. ‘Tis a pity you did not even try. I wish you well and trust we never meet again.”

Tears came unbidden to her eyes as she closed the door behind her. It had taken every ounce of strength she had not to cry on front of Henry. She had managed to keep her dignity, but her marriage was finished.