Chapter 52 Too late at night

AN* Thanks again for all the reviews – they truly make my day.






It was after three in the morning before the last of the guests took their leave. Once prinny had gone, it was like a mass exodus. The Craven engagement ball would be talked about in the drawing rooms of the ton for weeks to come. The entertainment had been most enlightening. William wanted them all gone as he really needed to talk to Buffy alone.

He had taken Xander into the library earlier in the evening to bring him up to date. Shocked and stunned at what the Prince had demanded of his father, Xander wondered how long he would have to accompany him at Craven Hall. William doused his fears by informing him it would be better if he stayed in London and distance himself from his father.

“Give Buffy and I a few weeks to settle into Annandale, Xander, and then follow us north for a few weeks shooting.” William smiled at the stricken young man. “Clem has told me of your talent with construction management, surely you would like to see the progress that has been made in your absence.”

Nodding his agreement at William’s plan, he smiled back at him. “Yes, that is indeed a good idea. It will give me time to see if the events of tonight have caused problems with my courtship of Cordelia.”

William laughed at the look of despair on Xander’s face.

“You are the son of a Duke, Xander, and your prospects are to be a Duke. I can assure you that there will be no impediment from tonight’s actions to your courtship.” William lowered his voice before he continued. “You do have a mistress do you not, Xander?”

Slightly red-faced at such a direct question, Xander nodded his head. He did not wish to discuss Anya’s many charms with William. Xander was still half convinced that William would continue to be the rake and libertine he had always been once the marriage had taken place. Anya was his and he had no intention of sharing her, especially with his future brother-in-law. After all if William no longer had Dru and Buffy was unavailable to him till the wedding, the man would need release somewhere.

William laughed silently to himself. He could almost read Xander’s mind. He quickly assured the young man that he could calm his urges for a few more weeks. There was no need for him to visit a whore, especially one that appeared to be important to Xander. He did not add that Buffy would visit him tonight and they would most definitely have a play-time. Buffy had teased him mercifully both on and off the dance floor. She would pay for that when he got her alone and naked. He could hardly wait.


Buffy accompanied her mother to her room. Annandale followed closely behind. He had been concerned all evening with Joyce’s health and had noticed how pale she had been when she returned from her talk with Craven. The man was cruel beyond belief and although he may not have struck Joyce, Annandale was convinced he had hurt her with savage words. He longed to comfort her, hold her and if truth be known, take her to bed.

Annandale said good night to the ladies as he passed them on his way to his own room. He would sleep well tonight knowing that Craven had already left the house. He was sure to take his temper out on his mistress and of that Annandale was glad. If the woman enjoyed the pain Craven dealt, she was as bad as he.


As soon as Xander had left to visit Anya, William hurried to his room. He was determined to be prepared for Buffy’s visit. It had been more than a week since they had been together and his anticipation was rife. He realised how much he had missed just holding her as she slept safe in her arms. Deciding that if all she wanted tonight was to be held, he would do that with pleasure, as long as she was naked. Naked Buffy was a wonderful thing to hold.

It was almost four in the morning before Buffy knocked softly on his room door and entered. As she walked into the candlelit room and closed the door behind her, she noticed William was sitting up in bed with the covers drawn up over his legs and hips. His naked torso almost glowed in the candlelight and she smiled at him from the other side of the room.

Instinctively William knew that she wanted to talk. He beckoned her to his side and held out his arms to allow her to snuggle in beside him. Surprised that she lay on top of the covers, he decided he would not comment and let her start the conversation.

She lay spooned to his side with her head on his shoulder. Her arm was wrapped around his chest and one leg was placed over his. William’s arms wrapped around her and he kissed the top of her head. They lay cuddling for a few minutes; the only sound in the room being the crackle of the fire and the ticking of the mantle clock.

“I cannot stay long, Spike” she whispered against his chest. “The servants will be up and about in but a few hours and I should be back in my own bed by then.”

William hugged her closer. He knew she spoke the truth, but he would have given his soul for her to stay beside him tonight. When it came to Buffy’s feelings he was determined to play the gentleman.

“What happened tonight, Spike, and where is my father going? I noticed Giles and papa’s valet clearing out his room as I passed.”

With great care, William recounted the events in the library. He went over in great detail how the Prince had arranged for the dowry to be passed to Lord Kirkbride and had suggested that Clem walk her down the aisle. Feeling Buffy nod against his chest, he was pleased she was happy with the new arrangements. When it came to discussing where Drusilla now slept, he could feel her stiffen slightly in his arms.

Gently he pushed her away from him. He wanted her under the covers beside him before they discussed anything else. Buffy realised his intent and quickly moved under the covers beside him. After a few moments settling back into a comfortable position, William continued to tell her about the Drusilla’s fate.

The return of Angelus was not mentioned. Buffy did not know the reputation of the man and William was convinced that Liam would have no interest in them. He put the warnings from Clem to the back of his mind and snuggled closer to his love.

Buffy lifted her head from his shoulder and caught his eyes in the candlelight. There were some questions she needed answers to and they were all about Drusilla. She wondered to herself if he was holding her in bed now, only because he could not have his whore.

“Spike,” she asked in a soft voice. “Do you still have feelings for Drusilla?”

William thought carefully before he answered. “I was with her ten years, Buffy, and it’s hard to turn off the strong feelings I had for her.”

Buffy started to pull away from his hold but he kept his arms closed around her. Looking deep into her eyes he continued. He wanted her to see the depth of feeling he held for her now.

“I thought our love was eternal, kitten. I believed I could love no one but her, yet when I saw her tonight all I thought was; why had I stayed at her beck and call for so long. She is nowhere near as beautiful as you, nor does she have your wonderful ways.” He leaned down and kissed her gently on the lips before continuing. “She never showed me the love you do, nor make me feel as though I am the luckiest man in the world.”

He pulled her further into his embrace, lifting her leg over his. As he continued to speak he held tightly to her hand and drew it over his heart.

“Two weeks ago, Buffy, I would have walked out of the ballroom at her side not caring whom I hurt. Tonight I wanted her out of my sight and I did not care where she went. For her to hurt you as she did tonight, I will never forgive her, and I hope you believe me when I tell you that I will never see her again.”

Buffy’s eyes had never left his in all the time he had spoken. She could see the sincerity with which he spoke, yet she still did not truly believe he loved her as much as he claimed. When he held her like this and spoke to her she wanted so much to show her love, yet she still held back. She had been hurt so much by the actions of her father in the last few weeks and she was scared to be hurt again.

William could read her face so well. She still did not trust his word, and he could not blame her. He had maybe been too honest with her, but he felt she had the right to know how he felt. Dropping further down the bed and rolling slightly so that they faced each other, William declared himself.

“I love you, Buffy. I will always love you. You are my light and my life and I will do anything to protect you.”

Staring back into his eyes she wished she could return the sentiments. They had been in this situation before where he had declared himself as if expecting her to return the favour. She was sure in her heart that she did love him, but she was still just that little bit scared.

“You are in my heart, Spike, but that is as much as I can tell you. I believe you when you say you love me, but I still have reservations. Please be patient with me. One day I might say the words back, as I have no intention of saying them unless I mean them.”

William smiled at her before laying another gentle kiss on her lips.

“At least I have my crumb, sweetheart. I ask for nothing more.”

Wrapping her arms tightly around his neck, she placed a gentle kiss on his lips. Within moments the kiss deepened and they drew even closer together. For the first time since entering the room, Buffy noticed that William was naked beneath the coverlet. She was clothed in a nightrail and dressing gown and could feel the heat of his erection against her leg.

William lifted his mouth from hers and slowly traced a path to her neck. He nipped and suckled at her pulse point until she was wriggling against him. When she lifted her leg over his, he could feel her heat against his dick. His hand immediately went down to her thigh and lifted her leg higher so he could rock against her. Continuing his assault on her neck for a few moments more, he slowly made his way down to her breast and sucked her through her clothes.

Buffy’s head was thrown back in want, and she was making those delicious little sounds she made when she needed to come.

William was desperate to be inside her. He moved his mouth back to her ear and whispered.

“Buffy, sweetheart, let me in. We are only two weeks from the wedding, no one will know. Please, darling, I need to be inside you. Love you, kitten, so much.”

Reality hit Buffy with a jolt. She would not be able to resist him much longer. Her resolve was almost at an end when he held her like this and kissed her into oblivion. As she was contemplating how to stop him, his fingers brushed over her clit and moved to enter her. Slowly he pumped one finger inside her and as her need covered his hand, he carefully inserted another. In and out in a steady rhythm he moved, occasionally brushing her clit. It was enough to drive her mad with want, but not enough to satisfy her.

“I….can’t….Spike.” she stammered. “Wedding night…..must keep…AHHHHH…pure.”

William knew that he was winning this battle. He decided that he would leave her frustrated tonight. When he finally took her he wanted there to be plenty of time to do everything he ever dreamed of doing to his golden goddess. They were lucky if they had one hour before the servants were up and about.

It was the hardest thing he had ever had to do, but William withdrew his hands from her. He could not resist a taste and pulled each finger into his mouth and sucked. Almost laughing at the pouting expression on her face, he leaned down and kissed her passionately.

“Come on, my love, I will take you back to your room.”

Buffy was still pouting at him. “You could at least make sure I get some pleasure, Spike. I promise I would do the same for you.”

As quick as a flash he had rolled her over and was lying on top of her.

“Don’t Buffy. Don’t tease me like this. I love you and I want to make love to you. If you want to stay pure then you have to leave now. I don’t think I could stop myself if you stay here much longer.”

She grinned up at him. “We could do what we did before, Spike. I know you liked it.”

William let his body drop on top of hers and his groan rumbled into her neck.

“I don’t want to be anywhere but your cunt, luv. I want to make you mine forever.”

Lifting himself from her, he left the bed. Holding his hand out to her, he bid her join him.

“Come on, sweetling; let’s get you back to your room.”

Buffy grinned as she looked down at William’s erection; it was weeping so much that some pre-cum had fallen to the carpet.

“You can’t go through the halls with that.” She laughed as she pointed to his dick.

William looked down and grinned back at her.

“I think you better get back to your room on your own tonight, kitten. I have something I really need to take of.”

Laughing hard at his predicament, Buffy agreed. She pulled his head down for a chaste kiss and whispered how she would see him at breakfast.

William loved her laughter and was glad to be the cause, but if she did not leave soon he would return to being the rake he used to be and flatten her to the bed for a sennight.

“Go, please, Buffy” he begged “Before I forget my promise to leave you pure”

Buffy smiled at him as she made her way through the door.