Chapter 61 The Regent’s Power



AN* Thank you all again and again for your reviews – Please all thank Mollie for encouraging me out of a slump. Yea Mollie!!!!!



As for MRS, Serenity and Eve – you all know how I feel.





Clem decided to drop in to the Craven household and let them know of his conversation with the Prince. A warm feeling washed over him when he entered the drawing room as the whole family greeted him volubly. Surprised to see the whole family together, he was coerced into telling all about his visit to the Prince.

He told them of the grandeur of the visit and of all the members of the ton who had gathered there. The ladies, understandably, were more interested in the female members of Prince’s acquaintance, and he had to think hard to remember how each was dressed and how nice their manners were.

Once he had described the inside of Clarence House, and its inhabitants, it fell to William to finally ask what had transcribed between he and the Prince. Slightly hesitant, he took his time informing them that the Prince had elevated him from a Lord to an Earl.

Silence prevailed over the room for a few moments; all were stunned at his declaration. Annandale rose from his place on the sofa and walked calmly over to Clem. He bowed in deference to his new title, and shook his hand.

“Well deserved my boy. I am so pleased for you.”

Once Annandale had spoken the silence of the room was shattered by the amount of questions he was barraged with. Did he have a country seat? Did he have to enter parliament now? Was he happy? What was he the Earl of?

He answered all the questions with smiles; yes he was happy, yes he would have to enter parliament. He proudly informed them that his new title was The Earl of Strathaven; and he had not been given a country estate as he had informed the Prince that he had recently acquired one.

Dawn jumped into the conversation as only young girls can, and asked him where his new estate would be. He told her of Annandale and William’s offer to sell him the Dower Estate of the Annandale’s and how he would soon be their neighbour when they moved to the north.

Ecstatic that she would not be losing her new friend when they left London, Dawn ran up to Clem and gave him a huge hug. Clem wrapped his arms around her and returned the affectionate gesture before slowly pushing her back from him.

“I have another announcement to make.”

All eyes turned upon him as the little party were silenced in anticipation.

Clem cleared his throat before he began. “Yesterday I had the pleasure of making the woman I love my wife.”

Stunned silence greeted this statement. With the exception of William and Annandale none knew he even had a particular female friend. William decided to let Clem tell the family as much of Faith’s history as he felt they needed to know. He would keep his friend’s confidence, and back up whatever story he told the Craven family.

“My wife is Lady Faith Willbourne, eldest daughter of the Earl of Avonbridge. She was cast out by her family over ten years ago thanks to a bastard who abused her and convinced her father that she had been a willing participant. I will not go into details of how she lived for the first five years, but I will say that she has been part of my life for the last five.”

He paused a moment to gather his thoughts before he continued. If the Craven family gave Faith the cut direct, he would never see them again. He had to be sure they would accept her once they moved north. Clem would not be happy at losing William and Buffy’s friendship, but his first priority was his wife.

“Faith will never be accepted by society in London. Her reputation, thanks to the bastard who hurt her, can never be repaired. She is frightened to walk the London streets and will hardly leave the house for fear of being recognised.”

He lifted his head high as he continued his tale.

“Annandale and William have kindly offered to sell me the Dower estate which I have accepted. Faith and I will be moving north as soon as any repairs are made to the house. I would like to know now if you have any objections to living next door to someone with her past. If you do, please voice them now before I accept William’s offer and buy the Dower House.”

Silence prevailed once more in the drawing room. Clem let out a long sigh of regret. It was obvious that ton prejudice would result in the end of his friendship with William and his new family.

Buffy was the first to speak.

“Well, I must say Clem, that you have indeed shocked us today.”

Clem’s face fell at her statement, he wondered how long it would be before he was asked to leave the house and never return.

Buffy smiled at Clem before she continued.

“I am most disappointed in you, Clem. If you had but told us of your plans I am sure my mother, sister and I would have been most delighted to be part of the wedding party.”

Deliberately ignoring the look of astonishment on Clem’s face, she continued.

“I take that is where William was most of yesterday afternoon?”

Clem just nodded in response, too shocked to say anything.

Once more she smiled at Clem. “Well he will pay for not informing me of his whereabouts yesterday, Clem, I promise you. As for not accepting your bride I do not see a problem. If she loves a wonderful man like you then she is more worthy of the ton’s respect rather than its scorn.”

The Duchess moved forward to Clem and shook his hand.

“Clem, please bring Faith to meet us tomorrow evening for dinner. If we are to be neighbours when we move, then I believe we should get to know one another before then.”

Clem could not believe his ears. The Craven family were determined to accept Faith into their society and he was undeniably pleased. He was not sure he would be able to persuade Faith to leave the house to visit them, but he would do his best. He felt he had to tell them some truths.

“I will ask her, your grace, but I am not sure I will be able to persuade her. Faith’s past is something she does not like to share, and she will be afraid that everyone will ask questions of her. She does not like to lie and would be most embarrassed should anyone try to draw her on the subject.”

Joyce just smiled at Clem before responding.

“Do not worry, Clem, we will ask her nothing. Tomorrow’s talk will be all about estate management, new clothes and the plans for William and Buffy’s wedding.”

Annandale walked up to Joyce’s side and placed his hand on Clem’s shoulder.

“Move north at the same time as us, Clem. There will be more than enough room in Annandale to accommodate us all. Stay with us until the Dower House is habitable. We can all get to know Faith better and she can start to feel safe with us.” Annandale squeezed Clem’s shoulder tighter. “Please Clem. You know that we would be glad to have you both.”

Clem could not help himself. He grabbed Annandale towards him and hugged the man hard.

“I don’t know how to thank you all. This would be the best thing for Faith and I can’t wait to get her out of London. If it was not for the fact that I will be walking Buffy down the aisle, we would leave within days. I have to get her out of London soon.”

William, although silent throughout the little drama played out before him, could feel the sting of tears at the back of his throat. Clem had been a truly great friend to him and if Buffy and had her mother had not accepted Faith, he would still have found a way to keep in contact with them. It was the strength of character displayed by both Joyce and Buffy to go against all that the ton required of its members that impressed him the most.

He wondered how he had ever existed without her. She had become his life.

“Clem,” William said. “I have another proposition for you. Why don’t you and Faith make your way to Annandale as soon as you wish, and my father will give Buffy away?”

Joyce looked at William and a huge smile lit her face.

“Why William, that is a wonderful idea. I am sure Buffy will not mind, and we can always tell the Prince that a Duke should really give away a Duke’s daughter. He will be most satisfied with the new arrangements I am sure. I will write to him tomorrow and tell him of the changes we wish to make.”

Buffy smiled at Annandale with affection. “I would be honoured, your grace, if you would accept my mother’s proposal and walk me down the aisle.”

Annandale beamed at the little group before him. It had been a long time since he had felt so much part of a family. He was he realised, for the first time in fifteen years, content.






The following day at precisely two of the clock, Lord Liam Angelus arrived at Clarence House for an audience with his Regent. He had spent an hour that morning with Drusilla, but it had not been one of her lucid days. This time when he visited she had at least been bathed and dressed in clean clothes sent from his house. They had tied her to the bed again while she ranted and raved over bad puppies and sunshine, and he was disappointed she had not recognised him.

Even tied to the bed and incoherent, he had felt her pull. She looked glorious in her bound state, even with her wandered mind. Angelus knew of old that she was at her most dangerous like this and ensured he did not look into her eyes. She had controlled many of her ciscebo with her talents, and the one time she had managed to mesmerise him he had woken with no recollection of time. He had not liked the feeling and had made her promise never to try and put him under her spell again. He left the hospital with a promise to return.

As he showed his summons to the guards stationed at the gates of Clarence House, he went over in his head just what to say to the Prince. He would promise to take her to Ireland out of the way. It was an idle promise as he had no intention of taking Dru to his home in Ireland. He would get her out, as was his duty, then he would decide what to do with her. She had become too dangerous to keep but too useful to die. He would have to find a way.

He was led to the main hall where the Prince held court. He quickly realised his humiliation was to be a public affair, and inwardly he swore revenge. Knowing he could not kill his Regent, and get away with the murder as he had done in the past, stuck in his throat. His revenge would have to be very subtle and subdued. He would think of something.

As he approached the dais where the Prince sat, he carefully schooled his features to one of sorrow. He knew that prinny would not be sympathetic to him if he walked in displaying the rage that was in his heart for this man and his aides.

He preferred to wait.

The Prince of Wales was not a handsome man nor one of good manners. His father was mad and his brothers displayed a far greater intelligence than he. However he was, while his father’s illness continued, the acting King. He spoke, his subjects listened and obeyed. He may not be popular with the lower classes of his people, in fact they hated him, but the members of the ton relied on his largesse for their order in society.

Angelus knelt on one knee in front of the Prince as was the custom. To bow to any man went against his nature, but he would curb it for the day. The Prince took great satisfaction in seeing the feared Lord Angelus almost prostrate at his feet, and did not give his permission to rise for some time.

As Angelus rose and looked his sovereign in the eye, he knew that the man was on a mission to destroy. Dru’s outburst must have wounded him deeply, yet it was he who would feel the pain. He would lash her to within an inch of her life when he got her home.

“Angelus” the Prince began. “I am sure you know why you have been summoned here today. I would like you to give me an account of your wife’s behaviour.”

Angelus instinctively knew that he was expected to agree with her incarceration. He would have to tread carefully to ensure her release.

“I do not know, your highness, I believe she may have gone mad without my presence to guide her. I have been gone long on my estates in Ireland and have neglected my duties towards her.”

He bowed his head hoping the Prince would see the gesture as one of humility.

“Indeed Angelus, she has been without your presence for some time. If it were not for Kirkbride and Athelstone she would have run amok at the Craven ball. You should be thankful they had the presence of mind to attend to her care.”

Angelus felt his rage reach enormous proportions as he finally learned the name of the man who had helped Kirkbride. He knew of him and would send his minions to find his direction. Athelstone would pay, just like the rest.

Bowing his head in what could be considered a thankful gesture; Angelus readied himself to make his proposal for the removal of his wife.

“I would like to take my wife from Bedlam, sire, and remove her to Ireland where I may take care of her for her lifetime. It would free a room in the hospital, and my wife would no longer be in the country. If you accept my proposal, sire, I will remove her today and we will be on a boat to Cork by tomorrow.”

The Prince looked down at Angelus for some time. Drusilla’s insult had been the outside of enough and he did not want the woman to enjoy any type of life other than that which she currently held. He was determined she would stay in Bedlam,

“I think not, Angelus. It was quite plain to all who attended the ball that your wife, sir, has lost all reason. I insist that she stay in Bedlam until the trustees believe her fit for human society. I do not believe that state of mind could be accomplished with only a few days treatment.”

Angelus opened his mouth to protest.

The Prince lifted his hand to stop Angelus’ words.

“I have spoken to you of my decision, Angelus. There is nothing more to say. You may leave now.” And with that statement said, the Prince lifted his eyes from Angelus and looked away.

There was no one in the room that missed the gesture. As far as the regent was concerned Angelus no longer existed.

As he walked through the throng of people in the hall to make his exit, they all turned from him.

Lord William Whitmore and Lady Elizabeth Summers would pay for his disgrace this day.

Once he had dealt with Craven.