Chapter 63 Calm before the storm




Clem and Faith had started their journey northwards as soon as transport could be arranged. They were almost hot on the heels of Xander and Giles and hoped to make good enough time to catch them up. Annandale had already expressed concern at the amount of money the two men were transporting, and had suggested to Clem that he and Faith accompany them.

They could not far behind the men now. Good roads and Faith’s happiness at leaving London behind had made the journey a pleasant one. Faith had packed only what she needed for the journey, content to leave her old attire behind. In her eyes it was the trappings of her whoredom, and she was a respectable married lady now.

Her husband had been of the same mind. Clothes could be purchased in Carlisle as easily as London. His wife’s haste to leave a city which mocked her had become his prime concern. The further away from London their carriage travelled, the happier his wife became.

Having made good time, they had less than a few days travel to go. They had arrived in Preston at nearly ten in the evening and had quickly procured an Inn for the night. On arrival they found they were but one day behind Xander and Giles, and were determined to make an early start in the morning.

With the candles dimming and the fire burning low, the couple snuggled together under the blankets. The had made love for over an hour and were now lying sated and warm beneath the sheets, the only sound in the room being the quite rhythm of their breathing. Clem held his wife close to his breast, delighting in the feel of her hair across his torso.

Without warning, Faith’s breathing became harsh and uneven. Clem knew from experience that she was in the throes of some old nightmare. Many times he had held her when she was lost in her own mind. Damaged she may be, but he hoped he would help her heal.

This time it was different. Faith was not just tossing and turning as was her usual want, she was kicking and punching. Clem stood quickly from the bed shivering in the cold air. He had never seen her like this before. Always she calmed when he held, this time she seemed determined to fight him in her sleep.

He watched her carefully from the side of the bed, determined that he not wake her. Learning long ago that waking her during one of these episodes was not he best way to deal with her demons, he stood silently praying the dream would pass.

Within moments of his vigil, she started to speak. She had never spoken before when she was like this, and he almost forgot his promise to himself not to wake her. He sat on the bed next to his thrashing wife, carefully avoiding her unconscious blows and kicks. As her hand came near, he grabbed it and held on.

He could only make out the occasional word, and only then if she shouted. Watching the sweat gather on her brow, he wondered how he could bring her back. Gently he rubbed his fingers across her knuckles hoping the gesture would calm her. Clearly it did not. Her thrashing became more pronounced until she sat straight up in bed and, with eyes wide open, stared silently at the opposite wall.

Her grip on Clem’s hand was fierce. He could feel his fingers go numb and start to swell. It was as if she had spasmed around his hand and could not pull herself free. He started to twitch with the pain, twisting and turning from side to side trying to break her hold.

Within moments he was free as she abruptly let his hand go. He immediately held the injured hand to his chest and tried to rub the blood back into his fingers. Slowly she turned her head in his direction as her sense returned.

Staring into his eyes she muttered, “Clem, we did not tell William about Angelus”

Still rubbing his hand while trying to get back under the covers to her warmth, Clem smiled his reply.

“I know, sweetheart, but Annandale has left him in no doubt that the man will be out for revenge and he has insisted that Buffy and Will go nowhere on their own.” Life was returning to his hand as moved down the bed to hold her to him.

She quickly turned to lie in his arms. This was the only man who made her feel safe and protected from the world she had been forced to inhabit for so long. There was much of her time with Trenton that she had not told him, or ever would, and she hoped that once settled on their new estate her memories would no longer haunt her dreams.

Clem held her tightly against him, and with his good hand drew lazy patterns on her back. He knew she enjoyed being soothed this way, and was glad to feel her start to relax.

“Do you want to tell me about the nightmare, Faith?” he whispered over the top of her head.

Faith snuggled even closer, if that were possible, and he felt her shake her head negatively.

“Not tonight, Clem. We are almost home now and I think I need a little more time.”

Deciding to change the subject, she lifted her head slightly and smiled up at her husband.

“I think William has found his perfect bride, Clem. The whole family welcomed me even knowing what Trenton had made me become. They did not judge me on his actions, but on how I welcomed them as friends.” Intently, she looked at him, “I will not forget that kindness, Clem, and one day I well repay it.”

Clem could see how serious she was. He moved his hand from her back and gently started to play with her hair. “I know, sweetheart. When the Annandales join us in a few weeks time, we will sit down with Will and Buffy and talk about Angelus.”

Faith frowned at Clem before she replied. “It might be too late by then, Clem. I do not think Angelus will wait until they are married to extract some revenge. The man is an animal.”

He did not know what to say to her in reply. She was right, Angelus was an animal and they were too far on their journey now to return. A sudden thought struck him.

“Would you feel alright about talking to Lord Alexander, sweetling? We could tell him of some of Angelus’ tricks and let him convey the message when he returns to London.”

Faith lifted herself on one elbow and smiled brightly at him.

“Yes, Clem. Thank you for thinking of that. When we reach Annandale, we will speak to Lord Alexander.” She started to get excited and sat up in the bed. Looking down at Clem, her eyes shone in anticipation. “We will write William a letter and let him know what to look out for. He will be put on his guard and that may help him.” She clapped her hands in delight, and Clem was struck at how childlike she looked in her glee.

“Yes, that is what will do, Clem. We will write William and Buffy a letter when we get to Annandale.”

Smiling benignly at his excited wife, Clem drew her into his arms.

##


Buffy’s wedding dress and trousseau were finally complete. The household had been set about its ears for two days as each new parcel had been delivered. Annandale and William had been banished to their clubs, as the women of the household unpacked, tried on and repacked the various items ready for their journey north.

Joyce had not been well of late and her girls had insisted she sit quietly in her suite as they paraded their new clothes up and down her sitting room. The duchess was in her element. Her two beautiful girls were happy and content. Both girls were excited to be dressed up in their finery for their mother’s approval. Joyce was happy that Buffy had finally found love with William, she believed that away form the influence of Drusilla Angelus he was turning out to be a wonderful young man.

Dawn, with the exuberance of youth, was pleased to have a new wardrobe. As with all young girls, she most concerned with her appearance and was pleased that the modiste their mother engaged had made clothes which suited her so well. There were day dresses, walking dresses, two new riding habits as well as all the accessories she would ever need. Her mother watched, smiling, as she danced around the room.

“I can hardly wait to leave, mama.” Dawn smiled at her mother as she pirouetted around the room. “We will have such fun at Annandale, especially with Clem and Faith living so close.”

Her mother smiled at her youngest daughter in delight. Her children had always been her one solace in her loveless marriage, and she was glad they would all be living together. Thomas had spoken to her of how he had persuaded Xander to join them for the hunting season. Soon they would all be under one roof without Henry’s influence in their lives.

Joyce was also happy with Annandale. He came to her room every night and took her to the stars just as he promised. She truly felt like a woman who was loved while in his arms, and should the relationship be nothing more than a flirtation for him, she did not care. For now she was happy and that happiness appeared to be infecting her children too.

Dawn stopped her dancing around the room as the door to her mother’s chamber opened and Buffy walked in dressed in her full wedding finery. Willow had carefully dressed her hair and attached her veil with the Craven tiara. It had been the one piece of jewellery Joyce had kept back from the sale, and looking at how beautiful her daughter looked, she was glad.

Buffy looked resplendent. The dress was perfect. White silk overlaid with golden lace. The lace had been used to fashion the veil and set against the brilliance of the diamonds, the effect was almost ethereal. Willow has styled Buffy’s hair into the Grecian Knot which complimented the tiara perfectly.

Tears came unbidden to Joyce’s eyes at the sight of her daughter. She stood up from her chair and walked towards her holding out her arms. Buffy ran into her mother’s arms and let herself be hugged tightly.

“You look absolutely beautiful, my dear. You will make me so proud when you walk down the aisle on Thomas’ arm. I cannot wait to see William’s face when he sees you.”

Smiling at her mother as she pulled back to stand in the middle of the room, Buffy replied.

“I know exactly how William will react, mama. I cannot wait to see his face too.” She laughed at her own comment. “I will go and dress for dinner now, mama. The men will be returning soon and I do not want to be late.”

Joyce nodded and intimated that she would do the same. Her Thomas would be home soon and she wanted to look nice for him.


##

William and his father were sitting quietly in White’s, drinking slowly from their brandy goblets and catching up on news. Clem’s elevation to Earldom had already been mentioned on a few occasions, and his absence since the event had been commented upon too. William had easily fielded all queries by mentioning that Clem had been called to his new estate. His marriage to Lady Faith was no one’s concern.

As the clock struck seven, Annandale rose.

“I think it’s time to return to our ladies, Will. I feel the pressing need to return home.”

William smiled at his father as he rose from his chair.

“Indeed, father. I, too, have a pressing need to see my betrothed.”

Annandale nodded in understanding as the men left the club.

Their carriage was waiting, John Coachman at the ribbons. Father and son were laughing and obviously in high spirits and the old retainer would soon be regaling tales below stairs of their master’s happiness. They had been given instructions to close up the Annandale town house; all the furniture had been covered and the knocker removed from the door. The older servants had already been transported back the estates, and only a small number of staff were retained to keep the house in order.

Everything was going well with their plans for the wedding and the move.

The implied threat of Angelus had almost been forgotten.

##

He had not forgotten them.

His minions continued to track the Annandale and Craven families every move. At ten of the clock every morning, a meeting was held in the Angelus home discussing the latest news of their lives. He had been less successful with his reports on Telford as the man appeared to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Hearing that Telford had left London with his doxy in tow, he had sent men out on all the roads from London to find him.

He could wait for his revenge on Clem. There were others waiting in the wings for him to practice his skills upon. Athelstone would be the next in line for his blend of torture, he decided. Kirkbride was too entrenched at court to be missed.

Athelstone was a different matter entirely.

According to his minions, Athelstone would be visiting him tonight.