Chapter 65 Preparation



AN* - to all my wonderful readers and reviewers – I thank you all

This is for the plot bunnies amongst you. Enjoy my dears, enjoy.






It was now five minutes before his minions were due to arrive and inform him of the death of the Duke. He had really wanted to be there and witness it for himself as the man had ruined nearly all his plans. Practicality had taken over and he knew that this death must not be attributed to anything but an accident. There were other deaths he could play with which would satisfy his needs.

The alibi had been inspired. Lady Catherine had, indeed, been taught well by Craven. His body still smarted in places from her ministrations. It was a pity that he could not have spoken to the Duke before his demise; he would have liked the direction of the carpenter responsible for the creation of secret room. There were many appliances in use there that had proved most agreeable.

Catherine had pleased him well. Not only could she administer the pain he loved, she enjoyed receiving it. He had been more careful than normal in his play as he did not want her to turn on him. She was still his alibi and he needed to ensure she was compliant. He had gone to the trouble of making the woman come on a few occasions, not for mutual pleasure but for remembrance. The whore would remember her first encounter with Angelus as pleasurable; the second encounter may not bode as well.

His eyes moved to the clock as he heard the knocker resound on the door. His minions were not late, they were never late. He strode to his desk in the library and sat down to receive them. The news they bore would have to satisfy him until tonight. Tonight was Athelstone’s turn for a visit.

Three gentlemen were announced by the butler. Each man bore the office of Gentleman, and would have passed as such in any drawing room of the Ton. All owed him favours, and he called upon their services when he required them. All the men were as unscrupulous as he, and they worked together well.

Their news brought a smile to his face that did not reach his eyes. Craven was dead, brought down by his own horse. His minions had done well in their task and he would reward them once his wife was free. All would have their turn with her, alone or together he did not care. She would perform this service for her husband without argument, she was good that way. He may even watch her time with the men, it may be a good diversion. Maybe he could persuade Catherine to join them. He would have to think about that.

For now, they would have to wait.

The men discussed their plans to abduct Athelstone and bring him to Angelus. They had spent a lot of time following him and ascertaining his habits. Unfortunately for the man, he was a creature of habit. When not in the company of the Prince, he spent his time at White’s or Boodle’s deep in play. He had more than enough money to cover any debt, but he was careful and often left the tables when the play was too deep. The man did not drink to excess, nor was he too flirtatious with the ladies.

It had not taken long to discover his vice. The man was a sodomite and preferred the company of young men at a tavern in Whitechapel. His nightly habit of visiting the pleasures found within its walls was quick to discover, and exploit. Athelstone was at present enamoured of a young man who worked in the tavern and visited him every night. The young man had been easily bribed to drug Athelstone that very evening and allow his minions entry. They would have to deal with the young man at the same time; there must be no one who could tell the tale of Athelstone’s disappearance.

Plans had been made and times arranged before the little group broke up. Athelstone would be brought to Angelus before midnight, and he needed to prepare. His pleasures of the evening before had played their part in his plans for Athelstone, and he needed to visit with the fair Catherine again this evening. Her little room, equipped as it was, would be perfect for the man’s torture. She could join in if she was so inclined, she might enjoy it.

Looking at the clock, he noticed it was time to leave for Bedlam and speak to Drusilla. Ringing for the butler, he requested his horse be saddled and brought to the door. He hoped she was lucid today as he had much to prepare before this evenings activities. Walking into the hallway, he gathered his beaver hat and great coat to take his leave.

##

Drusilla was, indeed, lucid today. They had loosened her restraints but kept her locked in her room. He had brought her stupid doll to her just the day before and she had cooed and clucked over it for an hour, ignoring him. It had been most tempting to take the doll and smash it against the walls, but that would have upset her to the point of madness and he needed her as lucid as possible.

She smiled as he entered her cell. When he did not smile back, she pouted at him. He was not in the best of moods as the clerk on duty had demanded the ten pounds for her keep. It was worth it to keep her from public display. He did not need any more attention to be brought to bear on him while he executed his revenge. Parting with money had never sat well with him.

“Is Daddy angry with his princess today?” she pouted at him.

Knowing he would have to show her some affection to keep her sweet, he opened his arms to let her run to him. He held her fast against his chest to make her feel secure. On many levels he was fond of her, but Darla would always be his love. He missed her money making skills more than he missed her body. Her source of income to the Angelus coffers had kept his household most comfortable. He would have to look for another source of income soon.

He lifted her chin and gave her a chaste kiss on the lips. Glad of any affection from her Lord, Drusilla wrapped her arms around his neck in an attempt to deepen the contact. Angelus allowed her to show her affection for a few moments before gently pushing her away. He needed information today, not cuddles from an insane whore.

“Drusilla, my love.” He began as she disentangled her arms from his neck. “Have you given any more thought to William and how we will bring your puppy back to heel?”

Drusilla frowned at his rejection; then smiled at the thought of William.

“Miss Edith talked to me last night, Liam.”

Angelus turned away from her; he did not want to show the disappointment he felt. The bloody doll was the bane of his life, but Dru was convinced the messages the doll relayed to her were nothing but the truth. He schooled his features carefully into one of interest. Occasionally the thing did manage to convey something of interest; he sincerely hoped this was the case now as his patience was thin. Definitely not in the mood for the pictures drawn by stars and such like, he drew her to the cot in the corner of the room to allow them both to sit while she told her tale.

Drusilla looked at him, her happiness that Daddy was willing to listen to Miss Edith was written all over her face. Daddy did not like Miss Edith and had often said he would bash her brains in for talking to Drusilla. Sometimes she had hidden Miss Edith away from Daddy when his moods were bad.

Looking into her eyes, he held both her hands in his. He knew of old how much she needed physical contact, it was the reason she made such a good whore; she enjoyed the work.

“Drusilla, my love, what did Miss Edith tell you last night?” he asked gently.

Drusilla looked down at their joined hands and wished Daddy would take her home. She had been punished enough and she really wanted to please him. He must be very angry with her to keep her here. She must remember all that Miss Edith had said to please him. Lifting her head, she stared at the wall.

“William is covered in sunshine now, Liam, and it will be hard to bring him back. He thinks he loves her and that she loves him. Miss Edith tells me that his sunshine no longer plays with him as she did before, and they are happy together. Miss Edith says I must leave them be now, Liam, but I cannot.”

She turned her head to look at him and he noticed the tears in her eyes. He was slightly taken aback by her display. He had always assumed that Drusilla’s relationship with William had been no more than mutual satisfaction between the sheets. Now it would appear otherwise, his wife definitely held affection for Lord Whitmore.

Her voice was small and pleading as she continued, “William has turned to the sunshine forever, Daddy. He will not come back unless I can look him in the eyes. I can bring him back to me if I can hold him to me and whisper pixie words to him.”

Angelus did not think for one minute that Whitmore would visit her in Bedlam. He may not like Miss Edith, but the doll was rarely wrong. If, indeed, William had fallen in love with the Summers chit, he would need to get Dru out of here before they could execute a plan. He fully intended to kill the chit as soon as possible after the wedding, thus leaving William in charge of her dowry. His mad wife would soon loosen his purse strings once he was away from the fair Lady Elizabeth.

He would have to wait until after the wedding to secure her release. Any earlier would be too dangerous to his plans. He realised that in her unstable state, Drusilla would try to bring William to heel before the money was secure. If she succeeded, they would all be swimming in the River Tick.

He held her hands tighter as he spoke of his thoughts.

“Drusilla, I will need to make some plans for bringing William to you. I have to leave you now and return home. Will you be alright here while I am gone?”

Drusilla smiled at her Daddy and tilted her head to one side.

“Of course, Daddy, I have Miss Edith to keep me company and she talks to me all the time.”

Angel kissed her gently on the cheek.

“I will be back tomorrow, sweetheart, and you can tell me what Miss Edith has told you. Will that be nice?”

A huge grin spilt her face as she nodded vigorously.


##

His visit with Dru had left him dissatisfied. Her ramblings, such as they were, struck a chord inside him. He needed Whitmore brought to heel and he would have to wait until the wedding.

This was an occasion when he was not content to wait.

After an early dinner at home, Angelus prepared for a visit to Catherine. He was most anxious to make use of her secret room that evening. He wondered if he could replace Drusilla’s money making skills for Catherine’s. It would be so simple to procure gentlemen of the Ton who would clamour for her particular delights. She had only charged him ten pounds for his pleasure. He would charge one hundred pounds per hour for her, but only give her ten. If she was happy with a paltry ten pounds, who was he to argue.

After tonight he would have her at his mercy. He fully intended to finish off Athelstone within her home. Once the deed was complete, he would blackmail her into working for him as a whore. It would keep his coffers full and it would keep her mouth shut.

Yes, it was a good plan. He must set his lawyers on the task of procuring the Chelsea lease. No need to move her direction when her current dwelling was so convenient.

Arriving at her door at eight of the clock, he was quickly ushered into the small sitting room. Catherine was sitting demurely in a pale pink gown, hands folded in her lap. Her dark hair had been artfully curled and styled and she had rouged her cheeks and lips. She was a little old for his tastes, but her skills made up for the loss. Maybe he would fuck her before their guests arrived.

No, he would not fuck her now. It would more pleasurable after Athelstone’s demise. For now, he needed to prepare.

He allowed Catherine the social niceties required of the Ton. His brandy was poured by the butler and they engaged in small talk for some time. Angelus glanced at the clock and noticed that they had but two hours to prepare. He must lay out his plans clearly.

“Would you ring for you butler, Catherine, I need to speak to the man.”

Startled slightly at his request, Catherine rose to ring the bell pull. Within a minute, the man appeared, and Angelus pulled two pounds from his roll of soft. Handing the notes to the surprised butler, Angelus bid him and all other servants to leave the house and not return until the following morning. The money he had handed over would be more than enough to keep the small household staff happy. Two pounds was almost half what most earned in a year, far less overnight.

Catherine felt a frisson of unease as Angelus dismissed her servants. She did not know why he had done that, and was worried that his pleasures would be harsh. It did not help that he dismissed any attempt on her part to hold a conversation about his plans for the evening.

He was content to wait until the last servant left the house.

It took longer than he anticipated for the house to be quiet. He had heard scurrying and laughter in the hallways as the servants prepared for their evening out. He did not really care how the butler dispensed the money, as long as they were gone.

One hour later, only he and Catherine were in the house.

“Catherine, my dear, we will be expecting some guests to join us later.”

Fear rose in her throat. Was the man contemplating passing her round like a Haymarket whore? She was now alone with him and had no way of fighting him off.

Angelus watched with glee as the fear she felt became a palpable force in the room. He fed off it for a good few minutes before he continued.

“Do not worry, my dear Catherine, they are not coming here for your pleasure; but for mine.”

He watched her face in pleasure as her fear increased. Her brow was sweating and her neck was turning a beautiful shade of red. Her breathing was coming in short pants and her fingers were nervously tightening in her lap.

This was just too delicious.

Leaning forward in his chair, he clasped his hands together and looked directly at her.

“My guests will be arriving before midnight, Catherine, and one of them will be leaving in a sack. We will be using your little room of torture for the event.”

Catherine whimpered in horror as he spoke to her. She realised he was serious and that he was going to involve her in murder. He was going to use her home for his own purposes and there was little she could do. Her servants were gone and only she remained.

Angelus smiled evilly at her. “When my guests arrive we will all retire upstairs, Catherine, you included. I want you to see what happens to people who turn against me. When we are finished, my dear, you and I will discuss your future and how you may serve me.”

She was beyond coherent thought by now at his words. Wondering if he was going to kill her too brought tears to her eyes and she could feel her whole body shake. Too nervous and frightened to speak, she stared at him with liquid eyes.

Oh, she was just too delicious. Her fear fed his black soul and he was enjoying himself immensely. The pleasure of killing Athelstone would be increased a thousand fold now that he had this sorry creature in the room with him. He hoped she would be sick, that was always fun.

He stood and held out his hand for her to take.

“Come with me, Catherine, there are some adjustments we need to make to your collection of toys before our guests arrive.”

Catherine shakily placed her hand in his, wincing at the pain of his grasp as he dragged her from the room.