Chapter 67 Heaven and Hell

AN* I think we need a little break from Angelus – but not for long……





Buffy woke warm and safe in the arms of her lover. She had not returned to her room at daybreak as normal. She was beyond caring what the servants thought; they would be married within the week.

Their night together had been magical. Spike has been so tender with her and had loved her for most of the night. She was pleasantly sore and thoroughly happy. Her lover was spooned against her back, holding her as if he would never let her go.

Her head was resting on his arm while his other hand was warm against her stomach. She felt him draw her closer and knew he was waking. Her sex was starting to swell in anticipation and she could feel her fluids flow.

Lifting the coverlet slightly, she looked down at his hand. She wondered how just the feel of him could make her want him, and admitted to herself that she must be in love. Small kisses were nibbling at her neck and his hand was rising slowly to her breast.

“Morning, luv.” He whispered against her hair. “God, you smell wonderful in the morning, kitten.”

Too comfortable to move, she wondered what he meant by her smell.

“Smell?” she queried as she snuggled back against him.

Spike smiled against her skin. “You smell of vanilla and roses, sweetheart, makes me want to eat you up.” He demonstrated his need by biting her shoulders playfully until she was laughing and twisting towards him.

“I love you, Spike”

Spike looked at her and smiled happily. “I know, pet, but not as much as I love you.”

Lowering his head, he kissed her with all the skill he possessed. He held her close to him, moving his hands slowly down her spine from her neck to her luscious bottom. Gently he rolled her to her back and hovered above her. She was so beautiful that she took his breath away. He could not believe that within a week she would be his forever in the eyes of the world.

There was someone knocking loudly at his door. The lovers stared at each other for a few seconds wondering what to do. There must be an emergency in the household requiring attention immediately.

“Under the covers, kitten, till I get the door.”

Buffy smiled cheekily at him. “Do not think for one minute, Spike, that half the household do not know I am in your bed. I will not hide.”

He kissed her hard, before rising and wrapping himself in his dressing gown. Buffy wriggled further down the bed and drew the covers under her chin. The knocking was constant and Spike had screamed for them to wait a few moments.

Opening the door, he was surprised to find Willow standing there.

“Please, my Lord. I’m sorry but there is some news from Craven Hall and I need to find Miss Buffy.” Her face was the colour of beetroot, and seemed to get worse as she continued. “Her grace believes I will find her with you, my Lord.” Her face looked at him, her whole countenance pleading. “Please, my Lord. Her Grace needs her immediately.”

Buffy was out of the bed within seconds and searching for her night rail and robe. Willow had seen her naked before and she knew the little maid would not be shocked. As she lifted the night rail over her head, she asked Willow if her mother was ill.

“No, miss. But the news is grave. I am to fetch you at once.”

By now she was dressed decently and hurried from the room. Spike promised to follow as quickly as possible, turning and scrambling for clothes as she left the room.

##

In the drawing room, the duchess was pacing the floor and wringing her hands. Annandale was standing by the fire watching her closely. The missive from Craven Hall had arrived but an hour ago, and his love needed to break the news to the family. Dawn was sitting fearfully on the sofa, and Willow had sent word that Buffy would join them soon.

Buffy ran into the room still clad in her night rail. Her panic subsided almost immediately when she saw her mother pacing. All types of scenarios had run through her head. She had convinced herself that her mother was ill and Willow did not want to tell her. What news from Craven Hall could be bad enough to wake the household at seven of the clock in the morning?

“What’s wrong, mama?” she cried almost from the doorway as she ran into the room.

Joyce stopped her pacing at her daughter’s voice.

Panic set in quickly. Something must be seriously wrong if her mother required the whole family present. Sitting down beside Dawn, she took her sister’s cold hand in hers.

William opened the door without ceremony and stood stock still. He surveyed the people in the room before his eyes met with his father’s. Annandale looked at his son with a sad look in his eyes. They were too close as father and son for William not to understand that something was seriously wrong.

Joyce rang for refreshments and took a deep breath.

“Children, I have some grave news.” She looked at Annandale, who nodded his head in support. “You father is dead, his body was found yesterday in Craven Wood. It would appear that he was thrown by his horse and his head was crushed under its hooves.”

The two Craven girls sat on the sofa and stared as one at their mother. There was not a sound in the room until Annandale spoke with venom.

“Angelus”

All eyes in the room turned in his direction.

Realising that he had spoken out loud, Annandale hung his head. He should have kept his mouth closed, but the man’s name had come into his mind as soon as he has been informed of Henry’s death.

William looked at his father in confusion.

“Why would you think of Angelus, father?” he asked.

Annandale looked at his son as if he had two heads. He wondered what spell Drusilla had held over his son to not consider her husband’s vile reputation. His worry for his son, and William’s relationship with Buffy, finally spilled over into temper.

“Did that bitch drug you, William? Did she tell you constantly what a nice man Angelus was? Why, in God’s name, won’t you listen to anything anyone says against the man?

Joyce immediately placed her hand on Annandale’s arm to calm him. She shook her head slightly before she spoke.

“Henry’s death was an accident, Thomas. We cannot blame Lord Angelus for this. Henry was thrown from his horse and trampled. It was an accident that could happen to anyone.”

Annandale stared at the woman he had come to love and respect. It was no use; no one would listen to him. He would have to make his own discreet enquiries regarding Angelus’ movements.

Not only was Henry dead, but convention stated that Buffy could not marry for a year.

“Joyce, we have a bigger problem than Henry’s death. William and Buffy cannot marry until the year of mourning is over.”

The sisters had still not moved from their places on the sofa. Dawn was sobbing quietly, and Buffy was staring at Annandale in disbelief as his words registered in her brain.

“We cannot marry, Thomas?” she asked in a small voice. “We have to marry next week; we cannot wait a year.”

Dawn turned her head and stared at her sister.

“We have just been informed of our father’s death and your head is full of dresses, flounces and flowers in Cathedrals. You selfish, heartless, bitch Buffy. Our father is dead and you do not care. Have you no heart except for William?”

Buffy turned on her sister and opened her mouth to reply when she noticed that Dawn was crying openly now. The news of her father’s death, and the men arguing around her, were too much for the young girl. Dawn stood and ran from the room, Buffy following in her wake.

Annandale decided that someone had to make the decisions now, and an upset and angry Dawn would not help the situation. Taking hold of Joyce’s arm, he bid her sit down as he turned to William nodding at him to do the same.

Annandale remained standing as he surveyed Joyce and his son.

“Joyce, my love, we need to hope for Xander’s return as quickly as possible. He needs to know that he is now a Duke and he needs to learn the responsibilities that go with the title. We need to get in touch with Henry’s lawyers as they will need to verify his death, and we need to remove ourselves to Craven Hall as quickly as possible to arrange the burial.”

Turning to his son, he asked him to leave them alone and find Buffy. William nodded at his father and removed himself to find his love.

As the door closed behind him, Annandale sat beside Joyce and took her hand.

“Joyce, we need to get the children married today by special licence before everyone knows of Henry’s death.”

When she looked at him blankly, he knew he would have to explain further.

“If they do not marry before word of Henry’s death becomes common knowledge, then they will not be able to marry for a year. Both you and Buffy will be unable to go out, and when you do it can only be to worship. You and I both know that William and Buffy are already sharing a bed, Joyce, we don’t need a bastard brought into the families too.”

Joyce continued to stare in shock at Thomas as he continued.

“We need to get William down to Doctor’s Commons before noon to get the licence, Joyce. We also need to get hold of a priest to wed them this afternoon, and we need to make preparations to get ourselves down to Craven Hall.”

When he noticed that she was coming back to life, he sighed in relief. His strong, loving woman was coming back to him. He hoped it had been shock that had held her rigid and not her illness. She looked at him and smiled.

“You are right, Thomas. We need to see them married today. We have to inform the Prince too, Thomas. He has done so much for them that we cannot just ignore him.”

Annandale had forgotten the help the Prince of Wales had been to the couple. She was right, they had to inform him of their plans immediately or he could start the biggest scandal of all.

“Thomas,” she queried in a small voice. “Will you write the letter for the Prince while I find the direction of Henry’s lawyers? I suppose we will need to take one of them to Craven Hall to verify the death.”

Once again, Annandale was impressed by Joyce’s character and fortitude. The biggest crisis had hit her little family, yet she manfully carried on. He was coming to love this woman very much.

“Of course I will write to prinny, sweetheart. We are in this together you know and I won’t fail you now.”

##



Up in Dawn’s room, Buffy and William were trying to console the crying girl. She had not been affected like Buffy, Xander and their mother by the Duke’s machinations, and still held him in respect. All respect and love Buffy had felt for her father had long since gone, and she could not find the tears to weep for him.

Buffy was talking to her gently, when the bed chamber door opened. Poor Willow seemed to be the bringer of doom this day. She quickly informed Buffy that her mother required the whole family downstairs.

Dawn went into a fit of the megrims and refused to leave her bed. Shrugging her shoulders, Buffy followed William from the room. The couple looked at one another as they walked slowly towards the stairs. William lifted his hand for Buffy to hold. She took comfort in the gesture and held his hand tightly in hers.

As they entered the drawing room, they were met by the sight of Annandale and the Duchess writing side by side at the huge desk against the window. They looked so much like a happily married couple that for a few moments Buffy stood still and watched them. Her mother, must indeed, feel comfortable in Annandale’s company. She could not think of any time in her life where she had witnessed her father and mother happy together. Another sin to lie at the dead man’s door.

Both Annandale and Joyce turned from their task when they registered the presence of the couple in the room. Smiling at her daughter, Joyce beckoned the couple to her. From her seated position at the desk, she addressed them.

“Buffy, William, thank you for coming so quickly. We had plans to make and much to do.”

She turned on her chair and addressed William direct.

“William, we have to get a special licence today.” She laughed softly at the sight of the rumpled young man. He had obviously dressed without the skills of a valet that morning. “Get yourself cleaned up, William, and make haste. We need to have the marriage over this afternoon before we leave for Craven Hall.”

Turning back to Buffy, she ignored the look of shock on William’s face.

“Buffy, we need to prepare for our journey to Craven Hall. I know Dawn is rather upset at the moment and I will see to her presently, but we cannot delay. Thomas is writing to the Prince to inform him of Henry’s death and our plans.”

Buffy stared at her mother before replying.

“I realise that there has to be some haste, mama, but I would have liked Xander to be at my wedding.”

Joyce smiled at her. “I know, Buffy, but we cannot afford to wait. After the spectacle of the betrothal ball no one will be surprised the wedding was brought forward. Thomas has already sent for a priest and Willow is organising the packing for our trip. I fully intend we continue to Annandale once your father is put to rest.”

“Well, mama, if you think that is best I should leave and get ready for my wedding.”

William spoke then, “I will leave now and make my way to Doctor’s Commons for the licence.” He quickly left the room, still in a state of shock at how quickly events had progressed.

Annandale rose and walked over to Buffy and took her hand in his. He had to make sure that she still wanted to marry his son. With the events of the last few weeks, he would not be surprised if she wanted to walk away.

“Are you sure you wish to marry William, Buffy? Now that your father is dead there is no impediment if you wish to break the engagement. Neither your mother or I would go against you if you changed your mind.” He smiled down at her before continuing. “My son loves you very much Buffy, but I would rather see him hurt now than to place his future in your hands.”

His gentle words reminded her of the bargain she made with herself and William just a few weeks before. No doubt father and son had spoken and the duke was trying to warn her. The man who held her hands now had become the rock the Craven family needed. Her mother was truly happy for the first time in her life and she did love William very much. Holding his hand tighter, Buffy knew just what to say in reply.

“Thomas, when this marriage was first proposed I made plans. The fact that William was marrying me for my money was a godsend. I saw the marriage as a way of putting as much distance between my father and my family as possible. I made conditions of my own, of which I am sure you are aware, and William accepted. At the time he was desperate to get back to Drusilla and I was expendable.”

Noticing the shock on Annandale’s face, she realised that William had not told him the whole.

Smiling at her future father-in-law, and if the God’s were willing the man who would become her step-father within a year, she continued.

“Things change, Thomas. I still expect Sp…sorry William, to give me half the dowry when he receives it, and the fifteen thousand to repair the estate. However, I no longer expect him to live on the dower estate now that it has been sold to Clem. I approved the sale with him, Thomas, as I want him with me; not ten miles distant.”

“I happen to love him very much and trust him with my family and my life. Drusilla’s little display at the ball, and how he reacted to her, convinced me his love was real. I needed that, Thomas. Even though it embarrassed the whole family and the Regent, I needed to know how much he loved me.”

She placed her free hand over his, and squeezed tightly.

“He loves me, Thomas. I have no doubt of that. We were destined to be together and after today nothing will part us. He is mine and I am his. It’s as simple as that.”

Joyce stood up from her chair and there were tears in her eyes. Her daughter was happy and this marriage would be blessed. Her husband may have been dead for less than twenty four hours, but the Craven’s were not down. Looking at two of the people she loved with all her heart, she decided that it was time to make ready for the wedding.

“Now that the air has been cleared, Thomas, I will leave you to finish the correspondence. My daughter and I have a wedding to prepare, and I still need to speak to Dawn.”

With a regal air, mother and daughter left the room.




##


Angelus was paying his daily visit to Drusilla. She was lucid today and they had talked at length of his activities the previous night. His plans were coming along nicely. Telford had still to be found but that would not take much longer. Kirkbride was too high with the Prince to disappear too quickly.

He would have to wait to kill him.

Drusilla was still incarcerated in her own room. It smelled of urine and vomit, but she seemed to be happy there now she had Miss Edith.

“Dru, sweetheart.” He called her attention back to him from the infernal doll.

“Yes, Daddy?” she cooed in her best little girl voice.

“How do you propose we bring William back to you? You told me you had a plan.”

She started to dance around the room to music only she could hear. Angelus hung his head. He would get nothing from her when she was like this. Instinct told him to hit her till she told him something useful, reason held his hand still.

Suddenly her dancing stopped and she turned her deep brown eyes to his.

“My Dark Prince has no quarrel with you, Daddy. I planted the seed years ago and now there will be a big tree to climb.”

His patience was fast running out.

Barking at her he asked her to explain the tree.

“When my Dark Prince hears your name, Daddy, I make him forget everything immediately. No one can tell him lies about how bad you are as the tree is too big to climb, and no one but me can cut it down.”

My God, but she was clever. He finally worked out her riddle. She had used her skills on William for years; why had he not worked it before? Over the years she had used her mesmeric skills to convince William to not think of Angelus in any way. For that reason he held no fear, nor did he know of his reputation.

It was a revelation. What he could do with knowledge was endless. Whitmore would not hide from him, as others did, because he did not believe that he was in any danger. It would be easy to get to him and his bit of skirt.

His wonderful wife had laid the best foundations for his plans.

To keep control of William once he belonged to the Angelus clan meant he had to get Dru out of here. That plan would have to wait a little longer. Once he had William under his control at the house in Chelsea and his bride weeping at his feet, he would come for Drusilla.

Together they would break the boy.

Breaking his fiancé would be his affair alone.