Chapter 69 Ashes to Ashes


AN* Thanks to all my faithful readers and reviewers – you know I love you all.




##



The Duke of Craven had been placed in his final resting place, the family vault. Xander had returned in time to attend his father’s funeral, but only just. Arriving at Craven Hall on the morning of the funeral, he had not had time to take in the enormity of his father’s passing. He was now the Duke of Craven with all the responsibility the title entailed. His father was dead and everything was now his, to do with as he pleased. He hoped he would make a good Duke.

As the door had finally closed on the family vault, Dawn cried for the loss of her father. Buffy and Xander had stood either side of the young girl, each holding a hand in comfort. The Duchess had stood still, proud and erect as only one with her breeding was capable of. William and Thomas had stood behind the family, each desperate to comfort the women they loved. Convention held both men still as the family laid their patriarch to rest. They would be there for their women when they were needed.

The reading of the will was over quickly. Small bequests to long-standing members of the household were received with pleasure, and in some cases, richly deserved. Giles benefited more than others receiving the unheard of sum of one thousand pounds. Even Xander had gasped out loud when the lawyer had read the amount. After spending almost two weeks in the man’s company, Xander did not grudge him a penny. Giles had proved his worthiness and loyalty to the family too many times to count. Xander wondered if Giles would leave the Craven family now that he was a man of means. He hoped he could persuade him to stay.

Joyce received a portion of one hundred thousand pounds. Not much considering the amount of money she had brought Craven on their marriage, but more than she expected. Buffy’s dower was held in trust and could not be touched, thus leaving she and William secure. Dawn’s dowry had been taken care of by her mother’s trustees and would continue to be held in trust until her marriage.

Eventually the lawyer outlined the ducal fortune and holdings to Xander. Craven had been exceptionally good at investments, and as such over the twenty five years of his marriage had multiplied his fortune to over five million pounds. Open-mouthed, Xander stared at the lawyer sitting behind his father’s desk. Every penny of the Craven fortune was gathering interest in Coutts Bank, waiting on its new master.

It was a somewhat subdued group that made their way to bed that night. All, except Xander, would be leaving the following day for Annandale. Their journey would be long, but with luck they would be in their new home within the week. An uneventful journey was expected by them all.


##

Angelus read over the notice of the Duke of Craven’s death in The Times. Smiling to himself he read a similar notice concerning Athelstone. Kirkbride had had the audacity to challenge him on the death of his friend, but Angelus had covered his tracks well. His minions, all well-known members of the ton, had verified that he had spent the night with them playing cards at his home.

The death of Kirkbride would have to wait a month or two. Angelus was too close to his goal to allow suspicion to darken his mood now. There would be time enough to deal with Kirkbride; he would just have to wait.

Looking up from his desk as the study door opened, Angelus was slightly taken aback by the arrival of one of his clan. They had all stood down while the family had buried Craven; expecting them back in London within the week. He wondered at the reason for the man’s visit.

The minion stood nervously as the study door closed behind him. He was afraid of the man sitting behind the desk. In his youth he had made the mistake of abducting, raping and killing a debutante then turning to Angelus to ask for help. The man sitting quietly contemplating him now owned him body and soul.

“Angelus,” he anxiously said. “There is news of Telford and his doxy.”

Sitting back in his chair, Angelus nodded for the man to continue. He enjoyed the look of fear and respect in the man’s eyes.

“They were married some few weeks ago, and have made their way to Annandale’s estate in the north.” The man’s appeared to grow more nervous as he continued. He had much to tell Angelus and was not sure how the man would react. “Whitmore and the Summers chit were married three days ago, before the announcement of Craven’s death in the papers. As the Duke was buried today, there is talk that they will make their way to Annandale within the sennight.” Stopping for breath, the man waited on his master’s reaction.

Angelus smiled a cold smile at the man before him. “Married, you say. How interesting. I had hoped to postpone their nuptials for a year, but this is even better news. William has her money now and access to more now the Duke is dead. Craven’s stupid son will be easily parted from his cash.” If possible, his smile grew colder. “I must make some plans. Get hold of the others and bring them by four of the clock today.” Nodding his acceptance, the man took his leave.

As the door closed, Angelus’ mind rang with the possibilities before him. He had put Catherine to work but two days ago and already her client list was growing. There were many in the ton that enjoyed her particular brand of pleasure, and the fact she was a Lady meant they paid highly for her charms. She had already made him over one thousand pounds. Her reward for her work had been a much lesser amount. He intended to keep it that way. The use of her little private room would play a large part in the further advancement of the Angelus fortune.

Its use as a room for revenge, when he required it, held staggering possibilities in his mind.

So the Cravens, the Annandales and the Telfords would soon be in the same house. He could not have planned it better if he tried. It would be simple to take them down one by one. He and his minions would have to visit the locale and learn the lay of the land. It was a task they performed often and practice made them experts. They were all master manipulators and proficient in abduction and murder.

He could hardly wait.

Drawing forth maps of his intended destination, he planned his route well. He would leave them in comfort for a few weeks before making his move. His motto had always been to divide and conquer, and he saw no reason to change his stratagems now. His carefully laid plans had kept from the gallows his whole life. There was no reason to worry now.

There was but one drawback to his mission, and he planned to take care of that today. Calling for his outer coat and hat, he made his way to Bedlam.

It was time to bring Drusilla home.