Chapter 8 – Making plans

Buffy walked into the breakfast room the following morning knowing exactly how she would handle William. She already knew that a wedding was expected between the two of them and she was not supposed to know. When her father mentioned matrimony today she would titter and smile and give the impression that she was so happy. She would pretend to be in love.

Inside she was seething. How dare her family decide who she would marry! She would show them all by bringing her husband to his knees then leaving him and she would make sure her dowry left with her.

Seating herself at her customary place opposite her beloved sister Dawn she smiled at her mother Lady Joyce.

“Good morning mama” Buffy made voice sound slightly breathless. “I met the most wonderful man last night mama and he spent the evening with both papa and myself.” Buffy made her eyes drop demurely to her plate, “he is so handsome and has such wonderful manners.” Buffy knew she had to convince her mother that she was really attracted to her beau for her plan to work.

Lady Joyce smiled at her eldest daughter. Her husband had informed her the previous evening that he had found a husband for their daughter whose lineage he approved of. “One day he will be a duke my dear and his father went to Oxford with me.” Joyce had smiled her approval at her husband as he kissed lightly in her forehead and left her to sleep alone as he did every night. He had not shared her bed in many years and Lady Joyce did not dare to ask whose bed he did sleep in as she knew it was not his own.

Before Lady Joyce could reply, her husband entered the room. “Good Morning all,” he smiled at all the ladies seated at the table and sat down at the head.

Turning his attention to Buffy, his grace addressed her “Buffy, Lord William has asked me for your hand in marriage and I have accepted on your behalf.”

Buffy turned to her father and looked him in the eye.

“I would like that above all things papa. He is most handsome is he not?”

Craven moved back slightly in his chair. He had expected some form of resistance from Buffy and his surprise showed.

Recovering his composure he smiled at Buffy “I am glad to hear that child as I gave him permission to call at three o’clock today to ask for your hand.” A pang of conscience passed over him as he realised the type of life he was leading his daughter into, but it was the way of the ton.

Lady Joyce looked at her husband then looked towards her daughter “Do you really want to marry this man Buffy? You are still young and there is still time to make your choice”

“She has already said she would welcome his suit Joyce” her husband scowled “don’t interfere”

Lowering her eyes to her plate at the censure in her husband’s voice Lady Joyce murmured “Of course dear. You know best”

Buffy bit her tongue on the set down she would like to give her father. He always treated her mother like that. She had vowed many years ago that no man would treat her the way her father treated her mother. Her plans for William would ensure that this would never happen.

Lady Dawn started to move restlessly in her seat. Excited at the thought of meeting her sister’s prospective husband she commented “When will the wedding be papa? Can I be an attendant? I do so wish to be an attendant.”

Before his excited younger daughter started to babble at the table, his grace made the announcement that he would engage St Paul’s Cathedral for the ceremony which would take place within a month.

His wife stared at him across the divide. “Henry dear, it will take more than a few weeks to plan a Cathedral wedding.”

Craven narrowed his eyes at his wife “you will make it happen Joyce I am sure. I will ask my secretary to assist you.”

Lady Joyce knew better than to argue with her husband in front of the servants and dropped her head again.

Turning to Buffy, Craven spoke to Buffy in clipped tones. “Make yourself pretty today Buffy, I do not want William to regret his proposal today”

“As you wish papa” replied Buffy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in her bed chamber once breakfast was complete Buffy was sitting at her dressing table staring at her reflection when her sister burst into the room. At thirteen years of age Lady Dawn already displayed signs of becoming a great beauty.

“What does this Lord William look like Buffy? Is he as handsome as you say? Do you love him?” Not a breath had she taken between sentences.

Buffy knew that she would have to keep up the pretence with her sister and started to extol his virtues. “Oh Dawnie,” she cried “he is so handsome. He has wonderful blue eyes. His cheekbones are so high and his figure is very manly.” Buffy gave her sister what she hoped was a dreamy smile. “He kissed me last night Dawnie, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.” At least Buffy did not need to lie on that point. She blushed remembering what had happened during the kiss and her actions when she returned to her room.

“Would you like to help me dress for my proposal Dawnie?” Buffy smiled at her sister. “I must look my best today.”

Both sisters moved towards the dressing room. Buffy allowed Dawn to look through her dresses and chose the one she would wear today. Inside Buffy was still angry. Women had no rights to their lives, especially women of the ton. She was expected to accept William as her husband and give birth to his children while he dallied with that dark haired strumpet. She had to find a way to tear him from her.

Buffy moved back into her room and sat on her bed thoughtfully. She wondered why she needed to remove William from that bitch’s clutches when she had no feelings for him. She needed him in order to be free from her father but that was as far as she was willing to go. Oh she liked the pleasure his fingers gave her but as she found out the previous night she could do that herself. It must be the kissing she thought, she did enjoy his kisses.

She was still dreaming on her bed when Dawn returned from the dressing room with a cream and gold muslin gown. “Do you think this will do Buffy?” her sister asked hesitantly. “I think you always look pretty in this.”

Smiling at her sister’s enthusiasm Buffy agreed that the gold and cream confection would do.

“I will arrange your bath for you Buffy” Dawn smiled over her shoulder as she left the room.

Yes the cream and gold gown would most certainly do. It was cut slightly lower in the front than some of her other day dresses and she would normally have added a fichu to the front of the gown to hide her breasts, but today she was determined that William would see the gown in all its glory.

She could not wait.