Author's Chapter Notes:
Not all chapters have smut in them, however when they do I will let you know.
Chapter 9 – The ring

William stood with his father in the family drawing room in Grosvener Square.

“Well Will?” his father asked, “how do you like the Summers chit?”

“She will do.” William replied, and gave his father an outline of the bargain struck between Craven and himself.

Annandale stared at his son with his mouth slightly open in astonishment. “Are you telling me that all he requires of his son-in-law is to bed his daughter till she starts to breed?”

William smiled at his father. “Yes Sir. Once the deed is done I can remove her to our Northern estates where he will send his wife and younger daughter to keep her company. Craven did state that for one month of the year I must visit her there and sleep with her every night”

His father stared at him in wonder. “My God boy there are men in the ton who would envy you that arrangement”

“I know father,” William moved towards the brandy and poured himself a large glass. As he lifted it towards his lips he looked at his father once more. “He did put a clause on this arrangement however”

“If I were you boy I would accept any condition.” Annandale walked across room and poured himself a brandy like his son. “Out with it then Will, what is the condition?”

Taking another mouthful of the brandy before replying, William moved to sit on one of the chairs by the fireplace. His father followed his lead and sat down on his favourite chair opposite his son.

“The condition, father, is that I have to be so discreet about my relationship with Lady Drusilla that no word of it must come to Buffy’s ears. That should not be a problem as I doubt that Buffy’s family run in the same circles as Dru”

“Buffy? Who the hell is Buffy? The Summers chit’s name is Elizabeth” his father snarked at him.

“Buffy is her pet name in the family, and to be honest father I like it better than Elizabeth. It’s unusual and unique. Just like the girl” he added.

Annandale looked at his son in surprise. The Summers girl had made an impression on his son of that he was sure. Both he and Craven had agreed this match many years before though neither of their children realised it. Craven had put there plan in motion in a far better way than the Annandale could have imagined. The old man had appealed to his son’s failings and it was an excellent ploy.

“When do you see her again Will?” his father asked of him.

“I am to make my proposal today at three o’clock.” William glanced at the clock on the mantel as he spoke and noticed he would have to leave soon to keep his appointment with his bride to be.

Rising from his chair, William spoke to his father once more. “Time for me to leave for Berkley Square father. I have a proposal to attend”

His father rose and walked towards his son and they shook hands. “Good luck my boy and I wish you happy.” Removing his hand from his son’s strong grip he casually asked “Have you a ring?”

William’s head went back in surprise. “Good God, father, I forgot I would need a ring. I can’t very well propose without producing something for the chit’s finger”

His father smiled at him and told him to follow him to his study. Once the door was closed ensuring total privacy between the two men, Annandale moved towards the portrait of his late wife Anne, and moved it aside to reveal the safe. Unlocking the door with a key he found in his pocket he withdrew a large jewel case. This he placed on the study desk and using another key on his watch chain he opened the lock and lifted the lid.

“Pick something of your Mother’s lad. She would have liked you to give something of hers to your fiancé.”

William moved forward to the case, he tried not to notice the tears that had come to his father’s eye as he offered the jewels. His parent’s marriage had definitely been a love match and William knew that he missed her terribly since her death fifteen years before.

“Why did you never marry again father? William queried “With your name you could have had your pick of the ton beauties. That is if you like them straight out of the schoolroom. I like my women to have a bit of experience. It would be very boring to have to teach ‘a lady’ how to please you in bed.”

“Maybe my boy, but no one could replace my Anne.” As he said this his eyes strayed to the portrait on the wall. “She was beautiful inside and out and I could never love another woman as I loved her. She was my life.”

Knowing this to be true, William placed his hand on his father’s shoulder. “I know this father. The Annandale’s love long and deep, it is a family tradition.” William removed his hand and walked towards the study desk to pick a betrothal ring. “I love Drusilla father, but our match is not to be. I cannot give her up, but I promise you that I will do nothing to hurt Buffy. I will be the best husband I can and I promise that you will be proud of both of us”

Annandale gave his son a watery smile as he nodded towards the jewel case. “You better get a move on Will. Can’t keep a lady waiting”

William smiled at his father and looked down into the jewel case. His eyes were immediately drawn to a large emerald surrounded by brilliant diamonds. He remembered that Buffy had green eyes and this would suit her perfectly. Lifting the ring from its bed in the case he turned it to the light and marvelled as the way the light from the window caught the gems.

His father looked at the ring his son has chosen and inwardly approved his choice. “I gave that ring to your mother when you were born Will. She made me the happiest man on earth that day.” Once again tears came unbidden to his eyes. Turning away from his son he gruffly told him to get a move a move on and propose to the future Duchess of Annandale.

William pocketed the ring and once more shook his father’s hand before taking his leave.

There was a large part of him that hoped he would receive a betrothal kiss. His manhood stirred at the thought. A betrothal kiss would definitely brighten his day.