Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry this chapter took so bloody long to post, but it was a bitch and a half to write. Honestly took me 4 days of piddling around with it to reach a stopping point. Anyway, hope you all like it even though it's really just a go between chapter. Please review, maybe muse will show up soon. BTW...I will be out of town next week on a lovely beach vacation so there will most likely not be any updates unless my little sister's laptop gets fixed before we go. Also, I am starting a new fic and should post it this weekend sometime. There is still a good bit of polishing to do as well as finding a title. If it's not posted by Sunday morning, I will have put it up when I get back in 2 weeks. TTFN!!!
Later that afternoon, Spike untangled himself from Buffy’s embrace and gathered his scattered clothing; mindful not to awaken the slumbering vampire. As he laced his boots, Spike tried to convince himself that the only reason he was being so quite was because they had gotten very little sleep over the course of the day and pushed away his nagging conscience that was calling him a coward.

When Buffy had confided in him about her past and the real reason behind killing her husband, Spike had taken one look into her tear filled eyes and pulled her into his arms. As her tears dried, they had tumbled back into the bed, kissing fervently; both needing something different from the embrace. Buffy had found comfort, while Spike had drowned in her passion; pushing his fears to the corners of his mind.

Now, as Spike pulled on his boots, he stared at her sleeping form. Naked, sprawled across the bed, one arm stretched out to the side of the bed that Spike had occupied moments before as if searching for him, Spike was mesmerized by her beauty. With strength he hadn’t know he possessed, Spike stood up from the wing backed chair and headed for the door. His hand was wrapped around the doorknob, ready to make a quiet departure, when her muffled words weakened his resolve.

“Spike?” Buffy mumbled, scooting further across the bed in search of the searing warmth his body radiated. Not finding what she was looking for, Buffy finally opened her eyes wide and looked around the room; settling on the frozen Slayer at the door. “Spike?” She asked again, this time with a worried tremble in her whispered words.

“I…uh…didn’t want to wake you, pet. ‘s getting late and I have things to do…patrol and all.” He explained, shuffling from one foot to the other and glancing nervously around the room. Truth was, he had plans with his friends to celebrate Fred’s birthday and as much as he had enjoyed their night of passion, Spike was not ready to face explaining whatever sordid relationship that was blossoming between him and Buffy to his friends. At least, until he figured out what actually was going on between them and what his feelings for the insatiable blonde vampire really were.

“Oh.” Was all that Buffy managed to choke out; her normally chatterbox self failing to make its presence known. Fearing rejection, she pushed down the desire to ask if she would see him later that night. Sitting up, Buffy reached for the previously discarded black silk robe and attempted to put it on but was having a difficult time since her hands were shaking nervously.

“I’m going to a birthday party at the Bronze.” Spike admitted, shoulders sagging in defeat. The hurt look in Buffy’s green eyes as she struggled for something to say had gone straight to his heart, leading to his confession. “Pet, look at me, please.” He asked, crossing the room and perching on the bed beside her. “They can’t take it right now…meeting you and knowing about us; whatever we are. If my friends hadn’t been there that night,” Spike paused and took her hand in his, “I would have died. You would have killed me. I can’t hurt them like that before I truly know what is really going on between us. They can’t know you are here.” Sitting there beside her, Spike hated to admit to himself that Buffy’s tear filled eyes didn’t bother him; didn’t make his heart clench with fear at the thoughts running through his mind. When she nodded silently and stood up, his hands itched to reach for her, but somehow he managed to keep his hands to himself. “Listen, I really have to go. Duty calls before partying, pigeon….I’ll see you later, yeah?” Standing up, Spike reached out and brushed a stray strand of golden locks from across her face and tucked it behind her ear before turning towards the door.

“Yeah, later.” Buffy responded with a devious smile as a plan formed in her mind. Pushing herself off the bed, Buffy headed towards the bathroom with a bounce in her step. “Have fun tonight.”

Confused by her sudden change in demeanor, Spike could only shake his head in wonder since Buffy had disappeared behind the bathroom door and instantly locked him out. Grabbing his duster, Spike left the mansion and began the boring walk home.


Inside the locked bathroom, Buffy busied herself by filling the claw footed tub with nearly boiling hot water; adding a few drops of vanilla bath oil just before easing down into the tub. Sighing with pleasure, she languidly soaked in the scented water until she could feel the moon start to rise; signaling that it was time to prepare for the night’s festivities. After shaving her legs and trimming the curls at the apex of her thighs neatly, Buffy got out of the tub and wrapped a fluffy white towel around her body. Padding barefoot into the bedroom, Buffy busied herself by digging through the closet until she found the perfect outfit. Grinning devilishly, Buffy said, “Silly Slayer forgot to say I wasn’t allowed to go out if his friends couldn’t recognize me.”


Having shown up to the birthday celebration nearly two hours late because patrol turned out to be more hectic than he had planned, Spike had a great deal of catching up to do. Grabbing a drink from the bar, Spike headed towards the booth where his friends were sitting.

“Man, it’s about time you showed up!” Gunn exclaimed, “Guess Dru kept you busy after you guys got home last night, huh?”

“Um…right, ‘bout that…Drusilla and I broke up last night.” Spike muttered as he slid into the cracked vinyl booth next to the birthday girl. Leaning over, he placed a kiss on her cheek and said, “Sorry I was late, ducks. Patrol was busier than I had expected.”

“Oh, it’s no problem. You’re here now, right?” Fred stammered, her cheeks blushing profusely thanks to the unrequited torch she held close to her heart for Spike. “Sorry to hear about you and Drusilla. Are you ok?”

“Dru and I obviously weren’t meant to be. I’ll be fine, don’worry about me.” Spike assured Fred, oblivious to her blushing complexion as he always was.

“Yeah, you’ll be fine! ‘Course I’d be pretty damn fine if someone as hot as that lil’ blonde number was checking me out.” Gunn interjected with a drunken leer plastered across his face.

“Blonde?” Angel inquired, “Where the hell was I at? Love me some blonde action.”

“Huh? Blonde? Oh…uh…right, nothing happened there. She was just looking.” Spike replied hastily, figuring now was not the best time to tell his friends about the development between him and Buffy. After a few derogatory comments from Gunn, Spike was relieved when the conversation headed in another direction.

Swirling the ice cubes around in his bourbon, Spike let his mind wander back to the previous night and was surprised when he realized he missed Buffy. Sitting silently, lost in his own thoughts, Spike nearly dropped his glass when he finally looked up and saw Buffy across the dance floor. “Bloody hell…” He muttered, body going rigid as he watched her dance seductively with a small group of obviously over-hormonal men.

“What is it, Spike?” Angel asked, noticing his best friend’s change in demeanor. Following Spike’s line of sight, Angel’s eyes rested on the slender woman dancing in front of them. With a petite, lithe figure wrapped in black vinyl low-rise pants and a maroon snake skin pattered strapless top with short raven colored hair, Angel thought the she was possibly the sexiest thing he had ever seen. “So that’s what’s got your attention, huh? Go bust in on them, man.”

“Right, like a girl of that caliber is just going to drop all of those guys for Spike?” Gunn remarked with a challenging smirk. “I’ll bet the next round of drinks that he gets shot down on first contact.”

“I’ll take that bet, mate.” Spike pushed himself out of the booth and cockily strode toward the center of the dance floor where Buffy was currently gyrating against a hulk of a man. Casting a glance over his shoulder at his friends, Spike smirked and stepped up to the entwined couple. “Mind if I cut in?”

“I was wondering how long it was going to take you.” Buffy pushed the other guy away and paid no attention to the objections that spewed from his mouth. Wrapping her arms around Spike’s neck, she pulled his face down to hers and captured his lips in a kiss. When she felt his hands slide down her body and come to a rest on her buttocks, pulling her groin against his suggestively, Buffy said, “I take it that my being here didn’t make you mad?”

“Mad ‘s definitely not what ‘m feeling right now, pet. God, you look bloody amazing tonight.” Leaning down, Spike began nipping along her neck and suckling at her ear lobe. “Fuck, pet…wish we were somewhere a bit more private.”

Buffy pulled herself away from his embrace and took his hand in hers, pulling him towards the back stairs that led to the balcony. “I’ve got a place in mind.”
Spike paused for a moment in order to toss Gunn a triumphant smile and laugh at his friend’s bewildered expression before allowing Buffy to lead him through the throng of people on the dance floor.

Once upstairs, Buffy was disappointed to find another couple sitting on the couch she had her sights set on. Getting their attention, she quickly flashed her game face and was pleased when they scurried down the stairs and out of her way. She led Spike over to the couch and pushed him back onto it; Buffy placed a leg on either side of his and straddled his lap. Hungrily, she attacked his lips with fervor; kissing him passionately until he was panting for air.

“Fuck, pet…you‘ve got no idea how hot you make me.” Spike murmured as he watched Buffy slide down so that she was kneeling between his legs. Reaching out to touch her black wig, he said, “As much as I am enjoying your new look, I miss your real hair, Goldilocks.” He started to pull the wig off when she stopped him.

“No taking off the disguise, Slayer.” Buffy warned as she reached for his zipper. “Can’t let your friends see who I really am. Now behave or I might just leave you up here all by your lonesome. You don’t want that do you?” By now, she had his pants unzipped and spread open enough that she was well aware that he had chosen not to wear underwear. Buffy leaned forward to lick and kiss along the exposed patch of skin; relishing in the whimpering noises coming from above. Just as she wrapped her tiny hand around his hardened shaft, the hairs on Buffy’s neck stood straight up and a chill ran down her spine. Eyes wide with fright, she said, “Spike, they’re here!”

TBC...