Author's Chapter Notes:
Look! Two chapters in one month, wonders never cease to exist! Ok, thanks again to Sotia for the never wavering support that encouraged my muse to show up. Also, many thanks to the few readers who are still out there and still making with the reviews! I know I have lost a great deal of readers by taking so long to update and I sincerely hope that this chapter will suck you back in. I think it's pretty darn good. Lastly, I wanted to say that there are two chapters left, and maybe an epi for clarification. As I stated numerous times, I never intend to leave a WIP (just plain annoying if you ask me). The rest of the story will jump around quite a bit, you may be confused, but all with be explained in the end. Just trust me. It will also be very dark and angsty! You have been warned! This ending will be nothing like my other stories! However, I am toying with the idea of a sequel, if interested. Just let me know! Ok, enough rambling, on with the show....
Slowly, the clock crept towards the bewitching hour as Spike navigated the ancient black car down the rustic moonlit roadway. Silence filled the air, suffocating in its thickness and laced with the mounting anxiety that rolled off the platinum blonde in waves. His white knuckled hands grasped the steering wheel and he chewed his luscious bottom lip in contemplation; mentally replaying everything that had been said and done at that evenings meeting, as well as what hadn’t.

“Argh!” Spike growled, slapping the wheel with barely contained frustration. “What the bleeding hell was that all about?”

“That, being…what?” Buffy asked tentatively, daintily licking on a cherry flavored lollipop and staring out the car window. Hearing Spike growl with aggravation, she giggled and added, “I mean, we’ve been on the road for like thirty minutes and the most exciting thing so far, aside from the stimulating non-conversation thing, was the caution light a couple miles ago. So, splainy please.”

“Don’t be daft! I’m talking about what happened at the meeting, or rather, what wasn’t discussed. I’m not bleeding blind, Buffy!” He all but growled in response. With a loud sigh, Spike reached on top of the dashboard and grabbed the rumpled pack of cigarettes he had tossed up there before the trip. Inhaling deeply, he continued, “Between whatever nonsense my father and Wesley are obviously up to, with the hushed conversations and hooded glances around the room, I have to come home and find you sporting a fresh set of bruises, care to explain were they came from?”

“Nothing major.” Buffy mumbled, careful to avoid hitting the nasty gash on her bottom lip with the sucker. “I tried to persuade Faith into leaving Willow and that ignorant plan of theirs alone, but the only agreement that was made was between her fist and my mouth. Stubborn ass woman.”

“And your little excursion couldn’t have waited for me? What…just had to make some kind of gesture to prove to everyone else that you’re fighting the good fight, now? Or, maybe you wanted to weasel back into the good graces of your former lovers, yeah?” Spike bit out, letting his anger at finding Buffy injured control his response. Upon hearing the sharp, unneeded intake of breath from the opposite side of the car, guilt over his reaction plagued his soul and made his heart heavy with grief. “Buffy, pet…I’m sorry for that. I’m a bad, rude man; please forgive me.”

“Oh, look!” She exclaimed with false enthusiasm as she pointed out the window. “Grapevines, which I’m guessing are standard, issue decoration for a vineyard. This must be our destination, pull over.” Sensing he was about to start up again with the apologies, Buffy waved him off and said, “Not now. We’re here for a reason and it’s not to fight with each other, ok? We’ll deal with it later.”

Minutes later, the car was parked and they ventured side by side down the aged cobblestone path towards the rickety looking rundown vineyard. “Why do these places always have to be so bloody difficult to find? Would it be so hard to lock them safely in a well lit, public place? No, of course not, have to be bleeding buried beneath a crumbling shack to add that element of danger from the sodding roof collapsing.” Spike crumbled, crushing his cigarette beneath the heel of his boot before pushing the creaky wooden door open to reveal an even more desolate sight before them. “Oh, well tha’s just brilliant, innit?”

“What? Poor lil’ Slayer actually needs a floor to walk on?” Buffy retorted, only half joking as she deftly made her way across the broken rafters and cracked floorboards towards the middle of the room. “Aw, come on, Slayer! You aren’t going to let a girl show you up, are you?” She called out, taunting the still grumbling Slayer as he gradually made his way across the wrecked flooring until he was finally standing just a few short feet away from Buffy with a smug look on his face. “Don’t give me that look; you’re only over here because your manhood was threatened. So, where do you think this axe thingy is?”

“Scythe, luv…like the Grim Reaper carries about.” Spike clarified, holding out a hand for support as Buffy worked her way down the dilapidated stairway. “Course, I’ve got no idea what it looks like, where it is and how we’re going to find the damned thing.”

“Well, since this whole adventure was big on the cryptic, I’m going to guess the prize is totally at the bottom of the cereal box.” She replied wryly, staring down the whole in the middle of the staircase, giving the couple a bird’s eye view of the filthy basement below.

“I’m guessing we jump now?”

“Might as well, pet. It doesn’t seem like the rest of the stairs will hold us anyway, yeah?” Still clutching her tiny hand in his, they nimbly descended into the dank darkness of the vineyard’s basement. The nagging sensation that had plagued him since they entered the building finally cumulated and left a sinking sensation deep in his belly. Glancing around the dimly lit basement, it occurred to Spike that an abandoned vineyard shouldn’t be aglow with romantic lighting. He was about to mention this to Buffy, when she shrieked and motioned to the corner of the cellar like a child on Christmas. “Well, would you look at that?” Spike muttered, disbelief filling his words as he started across the room to where the object of their desire was perched on top of a chunk of rock. “It’s a bit like the Sword in the Stone, yeah?”

“Quit with the awe and pull it out already!” Buffy burst out, the thrill of their find combined with the anticipation that had built since Andrew had mentioned the specially designed weaponry finally spilling over. “Ooh! It’s pretty!”

“Yes, indeed it is and may I extend our thanks to you, Slayer, for being here to remove it for us?” A cold, eerie voice commented from behind them. “Now, would you be so kind to hand it over?”

“Not bloody likely.” Spike announced as he singlehandedly yanked the gleaming silver and blood red scythe from the mountain of rock that had been its home for centuries. “Don’t tell me that was too hard for you? ‘S like running a hot knife through butter; was so easy. You must be a bleeding weakling, mate.” Hoping off the rock mantle he’d been standing on, Spike took a menacing step towards the decrepit vampire huddled before them.

“At my age, one does tend to not fare well with such…physical requirements. However, that’s why it is oh so necessary to travel with protection.” With a wave of his hand, the brown cloth swaddled vampire motioned behind him, where at least a dozen snarling vampires were poised to attack. “Our lovely leader predicted that you would come sniffing around for your precious scythe. She’ll be so pleased to find out she was right!”

“I’m hurt! You expected me to be here and yet, you only brought this pathetic group? ‘Fraid you bruised my ego.” Spike replied snarkily. Twirling the weapon in his hand like a baton he sauntered towards the impressive group and prayed that they couldn’t smell the emotions that radiated from inside. Although fear wasn’t one of them, trepidation certainly was and for a brief second he faltered in his decision to attack; wondering if just the two of them could take on the double digit crowd. Just then, he saw Buffy spring into action, pouncing like a predatory feline at the octogenarian in command. “Right then, off we go!” With a ferocious battle cry, Spike catapulted himself into the fray, swinging the scythe with precise accuracy; his body radiating with the energy that emanated from the ancient weapon.

Side by side, they fought with the deadly precision of two skilled warriors and slowly the numbers against them dwindled off until there were only five remaining. Spike had lost sight of Buffy and figured that she had disappeared to the other side of the room in search of other opponents. Spinning quickly, he staked an approaching vamp with the wooden end of the weapon and grinned proudly as the dust settled to the floor.

Another approached and for a brief moment, Spike wondered why they always seemed to attack one at a time. Strategically, it would have been to their advantage to rush them head on with a surprise group attack; which would undoubtedly been more to their benefit with lesser fatalities on their side. Shrugging his shoulders, he figured their stupidity would be his gain and jumped back into the fight and took down another vampire in the blink of an eye.

Sensing one of the enemies approaching from behind as another stalked towards him, Spike swung the blade forward in a perfect arc and sliced the head off the one in front with ease, before thrusting the wooden stake under his arm to stab the one behind in one fluid motion. Satisfied that the second hit had landed perfectly, he pounced on top of a nearby crate and flung himself in the direction of the final vampire; landing on his feet at the same time the scythe decapitated the creature.

Pleased with the outcome, Spike wiped the dust that had settled on his shirt to the floor and turned around to find Buffy. Blood drained from his body, his face chalk white as his eyes instantly filled with tears as his gaze fell upon her stilled body.

Crumpled next to the stairs, Buffy struggled to gain her footing, but failed do so when another white hot flash of pain ripped through her midsection. Forcing her eyes to open, she glanced down to where her bloodstained hands covered the gaping wound in her belly. Tears of pain coursed down her cheeks and she lifted her head in search of Spike; their eyes connected and time froze briefly as the sorrow in his gaze washed over her. Less than a second later, he was next to her; his tears slipping from his face to mix with the blood covering her shaking hands.

“I’ll be fine, really.” Buffy insisted, pushing away his hands as he frantically tried to lift her shirt to inspect the wounds. “Guess it’s a good thing I didn’t wear my good shirt, huh?” Her pathetic excuse for humor came out in a ragged whisper as the pain coursed through her body and all thoughts she may have had about the white tank top, chosen at the last minute, flew right out of her mind.

“Oh, God! Buffy, luv…I…I didn’t know it was you.” Spike sobbed, “I…just felt a vampire behind me…GOD! I should have looked!” Chest heaving, he choked back his tears and reached into his boot for the knife he had tucked away just in case. Bringing it to his wrist, he placed the tip against the pulsating blue vein just beneath the alabaster skin. “You need blood.” He stated, rather than asking, as his hands shook with guilt and fear.

“Spike, no!” Buffy whispered as she made a pathetic attempt to push away his offerings. “I can’t…shouldn’t, I don’t think I can control it, the demon, right now. Please, just wait until we get home, ok? We really need to get out of here.”

Nodding, Spike tucked the knife back into his boot and carefully tucked Buffy into his arms. With the scythe grasped tightly in Buffy’s tiny hands, Spike quickly navigated his way through the rapidly darkening basement and back up into the main quarters of the vineyard. Glancing down at the precious bundle in his arms, his heart briefly clutched with fear when he noticed her eyes were closed and she wasn’t breathing, before remembering that Buffy would be dust if the worse case scenario did occur.

Once outside, he sprinted up the walkway to the car; throwing open the passenger side door with little grace. Carefully placing Buffy into the seat, he swiftly removed his black T-shirt, bunched it up and covered the abdomen wound with it. “Buffy, sweetheart? I need you to hold this, yeah? Gotta keep pressure on it, luv.” Satisfied that she would do as she was told, he slid across the trunk and climbed into the driver’s seat; throwing the car in gear before the door was closed.

Just shy of thirty minutes later, Spike barreled through the front door of his home; sufficiently startling the remaining occupants. “I need blood, now!” He bellowed, stomping over to the couch and glared at the couple sitting on it until Fred and Angel scurried away. Gently, he laid the precious cargo in his arms on the couch and kneeled on the floor beside her; mentally willing his love to open her beautiful green eyes. Intently focused on the unconscious vampire, the rest of the room faded away until a delicate hand placed a coffee cup of warmed blood in front of him. Glancing up, he spotted Tara and muttered a grateful offering of thanks before turning back to Buffy.

The next couple of hours passed infuriatingly slow for the couple who were now located in their bedroom, since Spike had found it increasingly difficult to deal with the other people in the living room with them. After a quick wash in the shower, where he had soothingly washed away the caked blood that stained her slowly healing stomach, Spike had crawled into bed beside her; settling in for a long night. Thankfully, shortly before sunrise, he had been greeted with the wonderful sight of her luminous eyes staring back at him. Instantly, Spike’s eyes had filled with tears, which led to kissing and eventually, they made love just before dawn.

Checking once more to make sure Spike was indeed asleep, Buffy quickly dressed in a clean tank top and silk pajama bottoms before slipping downstairs for nourishment. Rounding the corner to the kitchen, she was startled to find Rupert sitting at the table, reading the newspaper and sipping a cup of coffee. “Morning.” She whispered, heading directly to the refrigerator and grabbing a bag of blood for breakfast.

“Spike told me what happened,” Giles spoke up, immediately getting to the point, “He mentioned that you refused to take blood from him after you were injured, even though it was offered freely.”

“Yeah, well…he’s not here to be dinner for me.” Buffy muttered, leaning against the counter as she sipped from the coffee cup, “It would have been too dangerous, couldn’t risk it. You sound surprised.”

“Yes, well, you are demon even though you seem to forget that fact quite regularly.” Giles replied with distaste. “Of course, it changes nothing, you understand. We will be proceeding with the plan set forth by myself and Wesley, the other nonsense is off the table. And, there will be no mention of it to Spike, do you understand?”

“Figured as much, leave it to a bunch of ‘Know it all’ Watcher’s to ignore any information given to them by anyone other than their precious Council. Is it because your poor little egos might be bruised by listening to someone like Andrew? Can’t bear the fact that a demon might know more than you do?” Buffy replied bitterly as she glared at Spike’s father, her eyes blaring with rage. “Can you honestly ignore what he said…even if it might save your son?!”

“Listen here, we will do what is in the best interest for everyone and no one, especially not you, will convince me otherwise!” Rupert ground out, slamming his cup to the table with enough force to splatter the steaming liquid over the sides. “It’d be best if you realize that your opinion in this matter is neither wanted nor needed and all in all, the best thing you could do at this moment would be to bloody well disappear.” Pushing the chair back, Rupert stood up and prepared to leave the room, “I do not trust you, this whole situation suddenly appeared at the same time you did and I find that to be a little more than just a mere coincidence. Sadly, I cannot convince my son otherwise. Lowering his voice, he added, “Mark my words, if given the chance…I will dispose of you properly, consequences be damned.”

TBC...


**One last note: You will not like Rupert, maybe later! Also....Reviews would be appreciated.**