Author's Chapter Notes:
This story has been revised. It was suppose to be based on a true story, but I switched it up a little...Okay a lot. :)
Chapter 1: Old Friends

8 years ago

“I don’t want you to go.” 10-year-old Buffy Summers said hugging her best friend tight, letting tear fall freely down her cheeks.

“I don’t want to go either.” William Giles’ plane was scheduled to leave for England in an hour, and his father waited in the car for him while he said his goodbye to his best friend.

“Then don’t.” Buffy said pulling away, and giving him a pout. She wiped her eyes with her sleeve, as she let silent sobs escape from her mouth.

“William, it’s time to go!” Mr. Giles called out to his 10-year-old boy from the parked car.

William glanced over at his father, and then back at Buffy, and giving her another gripping hug, not wanting to let her go.

“I’ll miss you.” Buffy whispered against his shoulder.

“I’ll miss you, too. I’ll call you everyday. I promise.” The two reluctantly pulled away, tears in their eyes, and said their final good byes.

Buffy and her parents watched the father and son drive off down the road. Little Buffy, turned and ran back inside, when she couldn’t see the car anymore, letting more tears fall as she locked herself in her bedroom.

* * * * *

Present Day

Buffy skipped down the stairs in her white beater and black short-shorts, and into the kitchen, with the biggest smile on her face.

“Macho, macho man! I want to be-hey mom-a macho man!” Buffy sang the song under her breath, dancing around the kitchen to the fridge.

“Well, honey, you in a very chipper mood this morning!” Joyce looked down at her watch, and smiled. “And you’re up before 1:00 during the summer.” Joyce sat at the island and popped a grape from the plate in front of her, in her mouth.

“It’s just ever since I found out last night that Will was coming back, I’ve been…‘chipper’ for lack of a better word!” Buffy poured her self some juice, and hoped up on the counter. “It’s been 8 years, mom. I’ve missed him like crazy. Can’t wait to show him off to everyone.” She took a big gulp of her juice, finishing it and put the glass in the sink.

“Well, Rupert said that William would be here around 2-ish so you have…two hours to get ready.” She said looking down at her watch again.

Buffy’s eyes widened. She hopped off the counter and rushed to the bathroom for her shower.

* * * * *

2 hours later, Buffy was up in her room picking out her favorite casual outfit. She was wearing her faded, low-rise, blue jeans, and her light pink baby doll shirt. She looked over herself in the long mirror, when the doorbell rang.

She ran out of her room. “I got it, I got it!” she yelled to her mom, who was just standing to answer the door. Buffy bit her lip with excitement. The last picture of William that was sent was when he was 15, and she was sure he had changed since then. She swung open the door, and launched herself into Spike’s arms.

Taken back a little, he staggered back a step, dropping his bag to wrap his arms around Buffy. They stood there, not moving from that position for a while, enjoying the feel of having their childhood friend so close again.

Joyce stood by the bottom of the steps, with a smile gracing her lips at the happy friends in front of her.

Finally, Buffy pulled away to get a look at him. “Will, you look great!” she ran her hand through his bleach blonde locks, tousling them a little. “Love the hair.” Nodding as she did so.

Spike held her at the waist looking over her. “Bloody hell, you’ve changed! Still tiny as ever, though.” He said with a smirk. He pulled her back into his arms for another hug. “God, I missed you so much.”

“I missed you, too.” Then Buffy frowned and pulled away, smacking him light on the chest. “You stopped calling.” She wanted to look and sound angry, but she could never be mad at William. He was her weak spot.

“I know, luv. I’m sorry…a lot of things were happening. But you won’t have to worry about that now, cause I’m not leavin’. I convinced dad to let me stay here.”

A genuine grin grew on Buffy’s face. And Spike returned it. He picked up his bag, and followed Buffy into the house.

Spike noticed Joyce standing there and gave her a warm hug. When Spike was ‘William’ he always looked at Joyce as a second mother, while his mom was living in England.

“It’s good to see you again, Joyce.” He greeted as he pulled out of the hug.

“It’s good to see you too. Um…the guest bedroom is all made up for you already.” She pointed up the stairs.

He gave her a nod and followed Buffy up the stairs. “So, you’re dad told me you go by Spike now. What’s that all about?” she turned to look at him at the top of the stairs, with a raise brow.

“It’s a nickname. A few of my soccer mates gave it to me.” Buffy smiled and walked into her room with Spike in tow.

Buffy walked over to her bed and plopped down in the middle with her legs crossed.

Spike looked over her room. It was the same for the most part, except instead of the walls being the bright bubble gum pink they were, they were now an earthy tan. Her bed was bigger, and had a less ‘little girl’ and more ‘young woman’ feel to it.

He dropped his bag down, and walked over to the bed and sat beside her.

“So, Spike…how was England? Any hotties?” she asked flashing him a great big smile.

He chuckled. “There were a few chits. No-one permanent. You? You must have tons of blokes bangin’ down your door.”

Buffy scoffed and let out a bitter laugh. “Yeah, no.” she looked down at her fidgeting hands. “Buffy isn’t so big with the date-age. I’ve got this thing, where somehow I always seem to screw it up.” Buffy looked back up at him and gave him a shy smile. “Maybe one or two guys, but it didn’t last. Which is okay, cause they weren’t exactly good boyfriends. I think I’m kinda a jerk-magnet.” She explained to him with a laugh.

Spike could tell that even though she was laughing, it was a touchy subject. He knew her all too well. Quickly, he changed the subject.

“So…where’s your dad?”

“Have no idea.” Spike shot her a look of confusion. Urging Buffy to continue. “He left…when I was 14. Haven’t seen him since.” She hung her head, not wanting Spike to see her unshed tears.

* * * * *

4 years ago

At 11:30 at night, Buffy sat on her windowsill, looking down into her driveway. She watched her dad, angrily throw his suitcase and duffel bag in the trunk of his red corvette, then slam it shut. She observed as he briskly walked to the driver’s side and got in the car.

Revving the engine, he pulled out of the driveway and sped down the street. Buffy let quiet sobs rack through her body.

Looking down at the cordless phone she held in her hand, she turned it on and dialed a memorable number.

“Willow…I don’t think he’s coming back this time.” She told her friend, her voice strained by the lump in her throat, letting the tears fall.


* * * * *

Present Day

“Buffy I’m so sorry.” Spike hooked his finger under her chin and met her gaze. He wiped away a lone tear that traced her cheek. “I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for you.”

“It’s alright. I really wished you were, though. It would have made it a hell of a lot easier.” Buffy turned her head, and looked at the window that looked down to her driveway. “I sat by that window all night waiting for him to come back. He’s left before that…but he always came back early the next morning. But that night, he didn’t. I cried for weeks, trying to convince myself that he’d be back…blaming everyone including myself for him leaving.” Silent tears dripped from her bright green orbs. “He didn’t even say goodbye…he just…left.” Her voice turned soft and hurt.

Spike embraced her in a comforting hug that only William could give her. He murmured comforting words in her ear to calm her. She snuggled into his warm arms, small sniffles escaping her nose. Spike ran a soothing hand over her hair, causing her to stop crying and even her breathing.

Spike pulled away slowly, and placed a chaste kiss on her forehead. She gave him a small smile, and took in a cleansing breath. She wiped her eyes, pushing her feelings about her dad aside; she made a suggestion to lighten up the mood. “So…how’s ‘bout we go out tonight? We can go to the Bronze! It’s the best club in Sunnydale. Well actually the only club in Sunnydale, but it’s the best nonetheless.” She was already starting to get excited.

“Sounds great, luv.” Marveling at her instant mood change.

Buffy let out an enthused squeal, bouncing on the bed slightly. “I can finally show you off to all my friends! Yay!” she leaped off the bed, and planted a firm kiss to the top of his head then ruffled his curls. “Come on, I’ll show you your room.” She called over her shoulder as she picked up his bag and walked out of her room.

Spike smiled widely at his energetic friend, noting that she hadn’t changed a bit. He stood up and followed her to the room one door down.

a/n: that's the first chapter for ya. this story is already finished so you won't really have to worry about late updates...please review!!!