Author's Chapter Notes:
*in robot voice* Hel-lo. My name is Van-ess-a. I am pro-gramed to tell you the char-act-ers from Buf-fy and An-gel are not mine. They be-long to Joss Whe-don. This pro-gram ends in 3-2-1......*normal voice* What the fuck was that?!?! GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!!
Chapter 13: Worth It

Spike had stayed at the hospital for almost a month, and Buffy never left his side. The chemotherapy was working very well but he was out of it most of the time. He got tired quickly, and found it hard to stay awake for longer then a few hours.

Dr. Wilkins had asked if Buffy had quote: ‘been too hard on the boy during the horizontal mambo’, End quote; in a joking matter, making Buffy blush and Spike laugh, as he was completely oblivious to the fact that she probably had.

Dr. Wilkins had told Buffy that the chemo stage was done and that he could go home if he felt up to it. Knowing Spike…he wanted to get out of that hellhole as fast as possible.

Giles, Joyce, Xander, Gunn, Oz, Willow and Cordy had all come to see him ever since Buffy told them a few days after he was checked into the hospital. Rupert had come to visit for a few weeks, but after Spike had insisted he go back to the Mother country and stay with the rest of the family, he reluctantly left to do just that, making both Buffy and Spike promise to call if something came up. The rest were all shocked and cried with Buffy. But while they were with Spike, they acted as if nothing changed, as they laughed at how he mocked and joked about himself. He was slowly starting to lose his hair, and joked about how he shouldn’t have bleached it so much.

Buffy helped her boyfriend out of the car once they reached the house on Revello drive. Buffy wrapped an arm around his waist and Spike had his arm draped around her shoulder, both for comfort and support. He was still weak from the medication.

She helped Spike up to her room, and let him rest on the bed for a while.

“Buffy…” Spike stared up at the ceiling, waiting for her to turn around and look at him. “Cut it off.” He said imprecisely.

“Excuse me?” Buffy raised her eyebrows, clearly confused.

“My hair…it’s already falling out. Cut it off.” Spike was a little bitter about the fact that he was losing his hair. It’s what gave him his whole bad boy look.

Buffy walked over to Spike, and sat down next to him. “It’s not that bad…” she said as she ran her hand through his hair. As she did so, a few hairs remained in her hand, going unnoticed to Spike. Her hand quickly let go of the hair on her hand as Spike turned to look at her, not wanting him to see how bad it really was. “Okay!” she replied cheerfully, even though she was most definitely not cheery.

* * * * *

After Buffy had shaved his head, leaving him with a short buzz cut, Buffy lay down in her bed with him as he slept. She gently scratched his head, as it rested on her chest. She thought back to the time they spent together before she found out, slowly understanding what he said and why he said it.

Flashback

“So what ever happened to a couple of years, Spike? You should have been back a long time ago…what was the hold up?” Buffy asked sitting on the floor crossed legged, with Spike sitting the same way across from her.

“Oh, um.” Spike wracked his mind for a buyable answer, anything other than the truth. God he hated lying to her. “Dad wanted me to finish school there, said I could come back after graduation.”


End Flashback

Things were starting to piece together now…

Flashback

She heard him step onto the back porch through the open bedroom window. She listen to the beeping of the buttons, and inaudibly climbed out of the bed and stood behind her curtain, so he couldn’t see her if he happened to glance her way.

“Hey, dad…I’m fine, I guess. No, no it’s not that…they’re good…well Joyce is. We just got in a fight that’s all…don’t really want to talk about it now…I haven’t told her yet…yes I know, dad, I’m still figuring things out…!”


End Flashback

Buffy remembered listening in on that conversation. He had to have been talking to his dad about wanting to tell her about him being sick. That was bugging me for days! Buffy thought to herself.

Flashback

“Spike, whatever happens between us…I want to stay friends, okay? You mean too much to me to end that.” Tears were freely falling from her eyes now, and dripping down her cheeks.

“I never doubted that for a second, pet.” He wiped away her tears with the pad of his thumb. “But you need to know, that no matter what…I’ll always be here for you. Always.”


End Flashback

Tears filled her eyes at the thought of him leaving. But he was right…if he did leave, he would always be with her.

She closed her eyes and willed herself to fall asleep with her lover. She didn’t want to think negatively right now. She just wanted to rest.

* * * * *

Buffy woke up a few hours later, to see an empty space beside her. Where’s Spike?

Buffy walked down the stairs and found Spike downstairs in the kitchen making lunch. She rubbed her sleep filled eyes, as she walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist.

“What are you doing making lunch? I told you I would do it, you need your rest.” Buffy put a soft kiss on his t-shirt clad shoulder.

Spike flipped the grilled cheese sandwich in the pan over, before turning around in her arms, giving her a light kiss on the forehead.

“Well first off: I woke up with a burst of energy, and thought I’d take advantage of it cause I know it wouldn’t come about often. And secondly: You and I both know you can’t cook if you’re life depended on it.” He finished with a sexy smirk and a wink.

“I can make stuff…” She started with a pout. “Like…like…cereal! I can make cereal!” she exclaimed with a big smile and a nod.

“Really? And how do you make cereal?” he asked already knowing the answer from past experience.

“Put the jug of milk beside the box.” She paused for a few seconds before continuing. “Okay so maybe I can’t cook, but I could have tried.” She ran her hand down his cheek and had a more serious look on her face. “How you feelin?”

“I’m alright…my head’s a little cold.” He said jokingly, rubbing his shaved head.

“Spike I’m serious.” She replied with a light smack to his chest.

“Luv, stop worrying please. The more you worry the worse it seems. I’m really fine…just as long as I don’t have to go back to that sodding hospital anytime soon.” Spike turned back to the pan and slid the grilled cheese into a plate. “Here…lunch is served.” He handed her the plate with a big smile, and a proud stance.

“What about you…aren’t you eating?” she asked after giving him a quick peck on the lips and walking back to the island, and sitting down.

“Naw…I already ate. You go ahead.” Spike didn’t want to tell her that he wasn’t hungry and couldn’t eat at all, fear of just throwing it up afterwards. He had completely lost his appetite, and letting Buffy know that would send her off her rocker with worry.

* * * * *

The rest of the day was spent with Spike mostly resting up, but trying desperately to stay awake with Buffy. After she told him she’d be there when he woke up about a dozen times, he let sleep take him.

It was his birthday tomorrow at 12:00 am exactly, and she wanted to wake him in time to give him a little surprise.

It was 11:57 pm and everything was set up. All she had to do now was wake him up. She checked her watch before quickly straightening out her clothes.

She walked up the stairs and into his room. She quietly opened his door, and walked over to his bed. He looked so peaceful, with his arm thrown over his eyes, and a slight pout on his lips.

She lightly brushed her lips against his in a gentle caress of rousing him from sleep. When he didn’t move she frowned then peeled his arm away from his face. She almost didn’t want to wake him, but she had to. He wasn’t going to miss his birthday.

“Spike?” she said softly.

No response.

“Spike, wake up.”

No response.

After a while she got a little scared, Her breathing picked up, and her heart raced. Her eyes went wide as a horrible thought danced around in her mind.

She shook him lightly, then a little harder.

Spike’s eyes fluttered open slowly, and she sighed in relieve.

“God Spike! You scare the shit out of me!” she put her hand over heart and trying to calm herself down.

“What did I do, I was sleeping?” he replied with a sleepy whine as he rubbed his eyes.

“Don’t worry about it. Look, I want to show you something so…get up and come with me.” Buffy said with an excited voice, jumping up from the side of the bed.

“You know, you’re asking a lot from me right now, luv.” He stated in a playful tone, tossing the blanket of him and throwing his legs off the edge of the bed.

“Yeah, yeah…please hurry! I got a surprise for you…you’re gunna love me for this!” Buffy jumped up on and down on the spot clapping her hands, with a smile that lit up the room.

Spike made his way to the door where Buffy stood, and brushed her hair out of her face. “Don’t need a surprise to love you…I already do.” He placed a kiss on her forehead before Buffy grabbed his hand and walked him down the stairs.

Buffy walked him out the back to door, to reveal the thick, soft and feather stuffed comforter from her bed lying in the middle of her backyard, surrounded by a bunch of wide, three wicked circular candles, giving the midnight air a cinnamon scent. There was another blanket folded neatly in the middle of the white one, blue with pink patches; said blanket being the one Spike ‘accidentally’ brought to England with him. There was also a small box sitting on the blanket, in a navy blue wrapping and a silver bow.

Spike’s jaw had almost dropped to the floor in amazement. “You-you did all this?” he asked Buffy his eyes still on the setting in front of him.

“Yeah-huh! I went out and got some things while you were sleeping.” She told him, walking him into the middle of the blanket. She unfolded the blue and pink blanket, and draped it over them both, as they sat down. “But let me tell ya…you are not easy to shop for. Took me a good couple of hours to find something perfect.” She handed him the box with a happy smile. “Happy Birthday, baby.”

Spike took the box and looked at, then back at her. “Oh, come on…I’m getting nervous, open it.” Spike pulled off the bow, and tore open the wrapping paper. He lifted the lid on the box, and a giddy smile took over his face. Buffy bathed in it…she loved seeing that look.

“Oh my God Buffy…I can believe this!” he stated as looked at the silver Gucci watch. It had a black background with silver roman numerals. The silver had a frosted look to it, and on the back of the clock it had a small, engraved message.

‘William, you’re always in my heart
And I will forever be with you…
Yours eternally, Buffy.’

A tear ran down his ran as he read it, knowing it was true. He slipped it onto his wrist after wiping away the tears. “I love it!” he looked over at Buffy and gave her a happy, but incredulous look. “How the sodding hell could you afford this?”

“Dipped into my savings account, and got one small advance on my allowance.” She said matter-of-factly with a shrug. Spike raised an eyebrow at her accompanied by a knowing look. “Okay…a few big advances…but it was worth it…to see that look? Yeah, it was worth it.” She said the rest in a whisper, almost to herself. But he had heard.

Spike pulled her into his arms, hugging her tightly to him.

Happy Birthday indeed. Spike thought.


please review!