Author's Chapter Notes:
i changed the names of this chapter it was originally "White Flag" but i wanted it to be something other than the name of the song in this chapter...just so you know!! mmk on with the story
Chapter 14: Growing Back/Growing Closer

For the rest of the summer everything was going perfect. Spike was getting better after he got surgery and shortly after that his hair started growing back. The enormous smile on his face when he noticed his hair was longer than the buzz cut he was accustomed to over the summer was something Buffy wouldn’t have traded for the world.

She stood in the doorway watching Spike play with the growing ends in the mirror. Spike turned to look at her his face glowing.

“I got hair! See, see…it’s growing back, I didn’t even notice it until now!” Buffy took note of the childish tone her boyfriend had. He sounded like a seven year old that just found five bucks on the road. His hair was about halfway to being the length it used to be.

He squeezed a blob of hair gel in his hand then rubbed them together and ran them through his hair, styling it in soft brown spikes. He was slowly getting the bad boy look back. In a month or two when my hair grows out to its regular length, I’ll bleach it again. He promised himself.

Buffy just smiled, and walked up behind him snaking her arms around his waist. She rested her head on his shoulder blade, and played with the hem of his shirt.

“Cordy just called…her Willow and the guys are going to go to the Bronze. Wanna go? You can show them you’re hair…” Buffy said the last part with a giggle.

“Yeah…let’s go. Haven’t been down there in a while, what with school startin up and all.” Spike turned around in her arms and placed a soft kiss to her lips.

“Okay…well let me just freshen up and we can be on our way.” Buffy then walked back into the bedroom to get ready.

* * * * *

“How’s he doin’? I-I mean how did Buffy sound when you talked to her? She should be okay right, cause Spike’s okay now, and we don’t have to worry about, you know, him feelin all with the queasy, right?” Willow asked one right after the other, not giving herself the chance to breath.

“Whoa Wills…chill out. Buffy said he was fine. Said he was doin a lot better than last week. They should be here any minute.” Cordy assured, as she searched the floor for the two.

“Yeah…Spike said he even feels up to singin’ again. Seems like things are started to look up.” Xander rubbed his hands together. “Man, I miss those guys…I mean we barely get to see them, with an exception of in class but otherwise…” Xander trailed off in thought. “Why do you think that is?”

The two girls, Oz, and Gunn all stared at him with raised brows, or knowing looks.

“What?”

“Oh come on…a twelve year old could tell ya why…” Willow stated hiding her giggle along with everyone else.

“Well in case you haven’t noticed…Xander’s got the brain capacity of a ten year old.” Gunn joked causing the whole table to laugh.

“Ha ha, very funny. No, really why?”

Cordy sighed loudly, getting out the last of her laugh out before she spoke. “Xander please don’t tell me you’re that naïve.” Cordy placed a comforting hand on her boyfriend’s back. “Those two have been do it like animals in heat ever since Spike was healed from surgery.”

Willow decided to jump in to the convo. “Yeah…I mean they can barely not do it in class…you have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to notice the sexual tension between them. Spike was ‘out of order’ for lack of a better idiom, for almost two months…you really thing they wouldn’t make up for lost time?”

“I’m dumb!” Xander stated with a goofy grin, insulting himself for not realizing what’s been going on between his friends.

“It’s alright Xander, it gets the best of us.” Oz spoke for the first time. “Not me of course…I just choose not to talk. Saves me the trouble of embarrassment.” He finished in an expressionless manner.

The group continued to laugh at Xander’s expense.

* * * * *

“Mmm…Spike. We should really get inside. The guys are waiting for us.” Buffy managed to get out between kisses.

Spike kissed Buffy one last time before pulling away, trying hard to ignore the whimper the she made from the loss of contact. “Yeah, you’re right. I thought I’d be okay after the two times at the house…but I was very wrong.” Spike’s voice lowered as he kissed Buffy passionately once more.

The sound of the Bronze door bursting open caused them to jump away from each other with surprise. The two fixed themselves up before walking into the Bronze as nonchalant as possible.

They found the gang at the usual spot in the back and quickly made their way through the crowd hand in hand.

“Hey guys…sorry we’re late, we had a-a-” Buffy’s stutter was cut short by Spike.

“A thing! We had a thing to-um-take care of before we left. Yes!” Spike got out with more confidence that he felt. He accented his ‘yes’ with a nod.

“Mmhm!” Buffy squeaked out in agreement.

“Riiiiiiight…do ya really think we were born yesterday?” Cordy asked with one brow raised.

“Yeah…we know what you were doin’. You don’t hide it very well.” Gunn stated with a chuckle.

“Uh, Spike? You got a little lipstick…” Willow said rubbing her lip where the lipstick was on him.

Spike quickly brought his hand to his mouth to wipe off the make-up. The couple blushed profusely knowing they’ve been caught red handed.

“So! Anyways…” Buffy stopped and noticed everyone’s expecting looks. “Oh, I have nothing to say…that was my attempt at shooing away the topic of mine and Spike’s sex life.”

“Well, on that note…the band has a gig at the Jolt in a couple of days, Spike are your pipes up to par?” Xander announced to the table.

“Yeah, always have been! Wait, the Jolt? We got a gig at the Jolt?! How, I mean they don’t have open mic night there.” Spike replied.

“No, man…not open mic. An actual gig…we gon’ be up there with the big boys Blondie!” Gunn exclaimed with a grin.

“Really that’s great! How did this happen?” Spike asked excitedly. Buffy noticed the obvious happiness in his eyes and was happy for him. He loved singing, and nearly bit off the doctor’s head when he told him he should put the band on hold for a while.

“I got a friend…the DJ hooked us up. He heard us play here once and thought we were great.” Oz jumped into the conversation with a smile on his face.

It shocked everyone at the table, but no one called him on it.

“Well that’s just great, baby. And you know I’ll be there to watch you.” Buffy said to Spike, before placing a kiss on his lips.

Willow started looking around the Bronze, craning her neck towards the door.

“Who ya lookin for Wills? And what’s with the blinding smile…not that I’m not happy that you’re happy it’s just-I’ll shut up now.” Buffy rambled, in a rush.

“Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell you. I invited a friend of mine from my Wicca group…she’s a little shy, but get on the right topic, and she’ll talk your ear off. She’s really sweet too.” Willow told the group with a giggle. Willow found her friend in the crowd and frantically waved over to her.

“Hey! Tara this is Buffy, Spike, Cordelia, Oz, Gunn, and Xander…everyone this is Tara.” Willow pointed out her friends as she said their names, and each gave a wave, smile or a nod, in greeting.

“Hi.” Tara sat down in the seat beside Willow.

The gang quickly accepted Tara as a part of the group. Willow was right, you get her on a topic she likes, and she’s not so shy anymore. They got to talk about the Wicca group, and the different things they did in it. The conversation was cut short when the announcer got on stage.

“Hey party people!! Hope everyone’s havin fun! Now please welcome to the stage…DJ Shift!” The crowd cheered as the DJ got on stage behind his booth.

He waited for his praises to die down before playing the song.

When Spike heard a slow song start up, he stood up offering his hand to Buffy, who accepted, and walked her to the dance floor.

Cordy looked over at Xander, glare in place, and arms crossed.

“What?” quickly getting it, he did the same with Cordy and brought her into the middle of the dance floor.

I know you think that I shouldn't still love you
I'll tell you that
But if I didn't say it
Well, I'd still have felt it
Where's the sense in that?


Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy’s waist and pulled her closer to him. Grabbing her hands, he pulled one around his neck and held the other in his hand over his heart. She smiled brightly at him, as she played with the blonde curls behind his head.

I promise I'm not trying to make your life harder
Or return to where we were

Well I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be


All that was going through Buffy’s head was the words of that last verse, and how much she loved the man holding her in his arms. She thought how lucky they both were for the surgery and his recover to be a complete success. She buried her head in his hard chest, smiling, as an overwhelming feeling of happiness took over her.

I know I left too much mess
And destruction to come back again
And I caused but nothing but trouble
I understand if you can't talk to me again
And if you live by the rules of "It's over"
Then I'm sure that that makes sense


Spike still couldn’t believe that Buffy; the one women that knew him better than anyone, was living in his arms, and completely in love with him just as much as he was in love with her.

Well I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be

And when we meet
As I'm sure we will
All that was then
Will be there still
I'll let it pass
And hold my tongue
And you will think
That I've moved on


He rested his cheek on the top of her head. Everything is gunna be okay. Spike repeated his mantra over in his head. I’ll never leave her…I couldn’t if I tried.

Well I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be

Well I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be

I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be


The blonde couple held each other tighter not wanting to let go of the warm embrace even though the song was over.


please review!