Author's Chapter Notes:
!!!!PLEASE READ!!!!
Okay so here's the deal...i told you before that i changed the end of this story because i wanted to see how it turned out....and it was a little weird lol. I've been wanting to change the end for some time now but never got around to it. So here it is...no random other world and no confusion....but for a better ending to the story there was something that i had to sacrifice but i think it turned out waaaay better this way. i hope you like it...sorry for those last few chapters :S my mind took me too far haha ....anyway let's get on with it and please leave a review to let me know what you think of the alternate ending (BETTER OR WORSE)????
Chapter 19 PART I: It's Times Like These

When Spike woke the next morning he felt the pain of his bruises and cracked ribs. Keeping his eyes closed, he willed the pain away, and that’s when he heard the hushed voices of the nurses in his room.

“I just think that we should tell him now before he gets his hopes too high.” one nurse stated quietly.

“He’s going to be broken! He’s gone through enough as it is. We should wait until he’s adapted to the situation better.” The red headed nurse argued in a whisper.

That’s when Spike stepped in. “Tell me what?” he said with a groggy voice.

Both nurses whipped their heads around to look at the man trying to pull himself into a more comfortable position. “Oh nothing, sir. Are you ready for you’re medication now?” said the red head.

He nodded his head, but looked at the both questioningly. Kelly; that’s what her nametag said, grabbed the pills that would help him with the pain, and placed them in his hand along with a cup of water.

The first nurse stepped towards the bed. “Actually there is something we need to tell you.” Kelly glared at her, as she continued. “Your wife has little to no brain wave activity. Usually those that make it out of a coma, show signs of dreaming or thoughts at the least. Your wife isn’t showing any signs of waking up soon or anywhere down the road.” she frowned sympathetically. “The chances are slim, but if she does…she’ll be completely incapable of doing anything for herself. She won’t be able to speak, walk, remember you or anyone for that matter.”

Spike took this in and didn’t even notice himself crying until a tear landed on his hand. He couldn’t control the sobbing that took over him. He lost his wife. And his daughter just lost her mother. And he was lost without her. Nothing mattered anymore, except for Lana, and he had to get her through this. He’d be strong for her…his daughter who was a spitting image of her mother.

Kelly wiped the few tears that fell from her face. A lot of the nurses knew of the young couple and the sweet story behind them, and it broke Kelly’s heart to see more pain enter this man’s life.

The two nurses left the room together. “God, you didn’t have to be so harsh.” Kelly whispered to the more experienced nurse as they left.

“You can’t get attached, Kelly. You have to state the facts and get straight to the point. Once you start a connection with the patients is when our job gets harder. Trust me I know.” With that Kelly follow the other nurse to do their rounds.

* * * * *

Spike sat in the wheelchair by Buffy’s bedside, weeping with her limp hand in both of his. He was saying his goodbyes. So were Joyce, and Lana…and Willow and Xander, Cordelia, Gunn, Oz and Tara. They all agreed that even if she did wake up, that was no way for Buffy to live. She was a bright and happy person, and trapping her in a body that was unable to do anything was not what everyone wanted for her.

After a couple of hours everyone left Spike, Lana, and Joyce to mourn the loss of their beloved Buffy. The Doctor had pulled her plug, called time of death and left the room with apologies. Joyce went to fill out all the paper work and left Lana with Spike.

“So, When will we see mommy again?” Lana asked with tears in her eyes, and pain in her voice.

Spike took a deep breath. “You’ll see her in your dreams, luv. Every night she’ll be with you…you just have to believe she’s there. Mummy will always love you, kitten. And I’ll always be there for you.”

He held her close and kissed her. It was times like these that his young daughter shouldn’t have to go through such heartache.

* * * * *

Chapter 19 PART II: I Think She Sang


12 years later… September 7, 2023

Spike looked at himself in the mirror in the bathroom. He was 36, and his age was starting to catch up with him. He needed to stop brooding so much. Both people walked around the house somberly; grabbing things needed for the night, and dressing for the evening. It was still hard 12 years later, but together they were stronger.

Lana glanced over to the man starting the car. “Are you sure you’re ready for this, Dad?” said the seventeen year old. “You don’t have to if you don’t want to. I can do it alone.”

“No.” Spike smiled brightly at his daughter that looked every day more and more like Buffy. “This is something I have to do…something that we both need to do.” Spike threw the car in park once they reached the parking lot, and both of them got out of the car, walking towards the bright flashing light above the door of the establishment.

Lana grabbed her father’s hand to reassure him. The two of them had grown so close in the past six years that they became the other’s rock. Lana had grown wise beyond her years, and was happy that she thought to do something as special as this for him and for her mother.

Lana had found the sheets of music and lyrics one day a few weeks ago, while cleaning out the attic, and promised her dad that her song would be heard. Spike and Buffy already had her in piano classes by the time she was four, hoping that maybe she would hold the musical gene like her parents did. And boy did she! The way her dainty fingers rolled across the ivory keys was phenomenal. And her voice, like an angel’s. Her voice was piercing and she sounded just like her mother. When she would sing in her room, it would take all his power to not run up there in the hopes of seeing his love.

So when she said she wanted to do this, with him he couldn’t say no. They met up with the Bronze’s manager, who is also the MC, and helped them get set up on stage. All of Buffy’s friends were there sitting at the tables right up front. Xander, Gunn and Oz all offered to play with them, but it was something that they needed to do alone. It was a personal song…A song meant for them to sing. He just wished that Buffy was there with them.

The MC walked on stage as Spike and Lana warmed up. “Alright, ladies and gents. This is a very special night at the Bronze. We have Spike here with his daughter Lana singing a song that their wife and mother wrote years ago. This one’s for Buffy Summers-Giles…we miss you girl!” The manager never changed at the Bronze, and when he heard that Spike wanted to do this for his wife he couldn’t say no to an old friend. He was shocked to hear of her tragic death and promised Spike and Lana that if they ever needed anything to give him a call.

Lana stretched her hands, and placed her hands on the keys of the piano in front of her. Spike took his spot on the stool and grabbed the cordless mic from the MC. “Thank you.” he said into it. “Buffy wrote this song for me when we were teenagers…she promised me it was a song that her and I would sing together one day. Unfortunately, she won’t be here to do that…but our daughter is. So here it is…it’s called ‘There You’ll Be’.”

Lana started with the soft notes of the piano, feeling the music in her bones.

Spike started with the opening verse, tears already welling in his eyes.

When I think back
On these times
And the dreams
We left behind
I'll be glad 'cause
I was blessed to get
To have you in my life
When I look back
On these days
I'll look and see your face
You were right there for me


Lana’s voice melted in with the chorus, hitting the high notes while Spike hit the low ones. They sounded great together.

In my dreams
I'll always see you soar
Above the sky
In my heart
There will always be a place
For you for all my life
I'll keep a part
Of you with me
And everywhere I am
There you'll be
And everywhere I am
There you'll be


Spike didn’t even care now that the tears were streaming down his cheeks like a waterfall. He kept his voice strong, and sang her song with as much passion as Buffy put into it when she wrote it.

Lana took the second verse, starting softly as her mother’s words touched her heart. Lana didn’t get to know her mom that well being she was only five when she died. But her dad told her everything that made her special to him. How they were best friends since they were kids and the beautiful tale of how they became lovers. Her dad was a romantic, and because of that so was she. Lana smiled before taking a breath…

Well you showed me
How it feels
To feel the sky
Within my reach
And I always
Will remember all
The strength you
Gave to me
Your love made me
Make it through
Oh, I owe so much to you
You were right there for me


Father and daughter sang together once more.

In my dreams
I'll always see you soar
Above the sky
In my heart
There will always be a place
For you for all my life
I'll keep a part
Of you with me
And everywhere I am
There you'll be
And everywhere I am
There you'll be


Spike belted out the next verse…he still remember the way Buffy looked into his eyes the whole time she sang this part to him, and know he found himself looking up at the high ceilings singing it back to her.


'Cause I always saw in you
My light, my strength
And I want to thank you
Now for all the ways
You were right there for me
You were right there for me
For always


That last line he pushed out hard, forcing Buffy and all the angels around her to hear his voice…hear him call out to her his love and undeniable devotion to the one and only woman he ever gave himself to.

Lana lightly let her digits tap the keys before her, and continued on with her father.

In my dreams
I'll always see you soar
Above the sky
In my heart
There will always be a place
For you for all my life
I'll keep a part
Of you with me
And everywhere I am
There you'll be
And everywhere I am
There you'll be
There you'll be


As the music slowly came to an end, and the melodic voices of Spike and Lana softened; faintly through that last line, Spike could have sworn he heard her singing with them. By the look in Lana’s eyes, she heard it too. Neither of them heard the crowd scream and applaud, nor did they notice the tear tracks down the cheeks of their friends, or the MC thank them for a beautiful duet.

Father and daughter exited the stage, and left the Bronze out the back door. Spike wrapped an arm around Lana’s shoulders and hugged her in tight placing a soft kiss to the crown of her head. “I think she heard us, pet.” his voice was rough with unshed tears.

Lana hugged her dad back. “I think she sang with us. Let’s go home Dad.”

They walked towards the car, feeling as though a great weight had been lifted off both of their shoulders. They knew Buffy was there…they had felt her, and now it was time to move on but keep her in their thoughts and in their hearts.


Chapter End Notes:
please review!