Author's Chapter Notes:
I, Nessa Symone, from the bottom of my heart, I promise that I'm going to forget all about stealing Spike from Joss Whedon and everyone at ME....*flips over page* and learn to live with the facts that I can never have him. Okay there I'm done, can I go now!?
--thanks to those who reviewed i love you!!!--


Chapter 5: Jealously Overrules All

The gang had planned to go to the Bronze the next night, and ‘Plan D’ hadn’t been put in motion yet. She had no idea what she was going to do…it never took her this long to get a guy’s attention.

She didn’t mean to be a megalomaniac but, pretty much all she had to do was walk past them and she would have them wrapped around her finger…but she would never really get herself involved, afraid of things getting too serious. But she wanted this…she wanted things to get serious with Spike, because he was her best friend and no one knew her better than he did, even though he was gone for so long.

The two strolled in together, and walked over to their usual spot by the dance floor. Sitting down, Buffy noticed Willow give her a hopeful look, as if to ask: ‘Did he go for it?’ Buffy shook her head ‘no’ discreetly and sat down across from her.

Willow, Buffy, and Cordelia all danced their hearts out, while Xander and Spike had a little manly bonding time. An hour or so later, the girls came back, breathing heavily after the series of fast songs.

Buffy plopped down in her chair, flicking her hair out of her face. She glanced over at Spike with a smile. “Can you get me a drink, Spike? Dehydration is about to occur.” Spike stood up with a nod and a smile, as he headed up to the bar.

Buffy watched as he walked over, getting lost in the crowd of people. She whipped her head around to her friends and leaned onto the table. “You wouldn’t believe the body on that one. Yum!” Her face was lit with excitement. Xander, gave a knowing nod, and pushed his chair back.

“Girl talk. I get it…I’m just gunna…yeah.” Xander stood up and walked over to the dance floor, after spotting an old friend.

“Oh, I can believe it…damn, he is total drool-worthy material, lemme tell ya.” Cordy responded looking to the side of Buffy, getting a good look of the bleach blonde in question.

“Well, did Spike go for the ‘shameless flirting’?” Willow asked with hopeful eyes.

“Nope. I think he just thought it was just two best friends cuddling. I mean I’ve pretty much tried everything, and he still doesn’t get it.” Buffy dropped her head to the table.

“Did you prance around in you skimpiest outfit and send yourself flowers?” Cordy asked popping a fry in her mouth.

“Ye-huh!” she replied lifting up her head. A frown drew her brows together. “What’s taking him so long, I need a drink! Alcohol will make this better…maybe.” Buffy dropped her head into her folded arms on the table.

“Um…I think I know what’s takin him so long.” Cordy said with wide eyes, looking past Buffy.

“What?”

“Harmony.” Buffy whipped around to see Harmony running her finger down his chest, and flashing him a suggestive grin.

“Argh! What a skank! I can’t believe her; this is the second time she’s done this. First Riley now him! My God, what’s her deal? It’s like she gets a kick out of stealing people from me!” Buffy let out a frustrated groan.

She didn’t know what to do. She didn’t want Spike to fall for Harmony and her seductive way of getting him into her bed…or wherever else she found comfortable. If he was smart he wouldn’t, right? He’d notice Harmony was just some slut that would sleep with any sweet piece of ass-really sweet piece of ass by the way- she could get her hands on…

“I don’t know what to do guys…I mean look at that big fat ho bag, putting her hands all over him!” Buffy flung her arm in Harmony’s direction, but didn’t dare look at her.

“You are so jealous.” Cordy stated with a knowing look.

“Your point exactly?” Buffy shot her an annoyed look for telling her something she didn’t want to admit.

“Make him feel your pain.” She matter-of-factly replied with a shrug. Buffy and Willow waited for her to continue. “Get that cute but of yours on that dance floor, and find yourself a little boy-toy. Trust me, walk around with a hot piece of arm candy and he’ll want exactly what he can’t have. Common knowledge.” Cordelia started looking around for Buffy’s plaything for the night. “Look at that big hunk of salty goodness. God if I wasn’t helping you out right now, I’d snatch him up myself.”

Buffy swung around in her chair, and saw the tall, dark headed man walk into the Bronze. He was most definitely a cutie, but she preferred ones of the bleach-headed sorts. Actually, she never really went for blondes…but Spike was just special. Shaking away her thoughts, she turned back to her friends.

“He’s…okay.” She said with a shrug.

“Okay? Okay!? Honey, he’s more than okay! Now go…make your move, and be sure Bleach boy sees it. But don’t be obvious.” Cordy advised pointedly as Buffy stood up and slowly made her way to the man who was now walking to the bar…opposite Spike, thank God!

Buffy took a deep breath and put her confidence face on, and sat on the stool right beside him. She flashed him a bright smile and looked over at the bartender.

He wiped up the spilt liquid on the counter in front of her, and gave her a smile. “Buffy! I haven’t seen you in a while…what would ya like?” he rested his palms on the counter, and gave her an intense look.

It was palpable that he liked her, but she had told him time and time again that it wasn’t going to happen.

“Hey Ford. A beer…be lenient, please, I forgot my wallet at home.” Buffy really had her wallet in her purse…but he didn’t need to know that. She wanted to see if the hottie next to her would fix her little problem. She knew Ford, and he wasn’t going to cave this time.

She gave him wide innocent eyes that he could never turn down. But he told her ‘not to worry about it’ every time she came here, even if she was going to pay. That’s what almost got him fired.

“I dunno Buff…” his eyes narrowed thinking about it. He was about to respond, when a big hand slid a 5-dollar bill to him. He took the bill and started getting her beer.

“I got it.” His eyes were on Buffy while he spoke. “I’m Angel.” He flashed a bright grin, and stuck out his hand.

Oh yeah…works every time. Buffy stuck out her hand and shook his slowly, a dazzling smile on her face. “Buffy. Thanks, by the way. You really didn’t have to.”

“Not a problem.” He looked at Ford as he popped the cap, and slid her the bottle, giving him a slight nod.

Buffy took a short sip, looking at him over the bottom of the bottle. “So you from around here?”

“Uh, no, actually, L.A. just came here for a break from the city. What about you?”

“Yeah…I’m a Sunnydale local.” She stated with fake enthusiasm. “Not exactly Fun Town, but it’s home.” She took another sip.

“I like it here. It’s quiet.” He took in the loud scene around him and frowned. “Well, quieter.” He corrected with a chuckle. Buffy laughed along with him, when one of her favorite fast songs came on.

She quickly glanced over at Spike and Harmony (who she had a good view of) and noticed they were on their way to the table.

Buffy thought fast. “You wanna dance?” she tilted her head to the side and waited for an answer.

“Yeah, that’d be great.” He stood with her, and she picked up her beer.

She figured, she’d beat Spike to the table, drop her beer off quickly, before dancing with Angel. Just her little way of telling them: Phase 1 of ‘Plan D’ has been completed.

As Buffy placed her beer on the table, Cordy smiled and raised an eyebrow, curious as to what was to happen next. Willow just smiled with wide eyes. Cordy shook her head and chuckled silently at how well her blonde friend played this little game of ‘I Just Want What I Can’t Have’…little did she know that Buffy wasn’t playing a game.

Buffy swayed with him on the dance floor. She stuck an individual leg outside of one of his, and the other one on the inside, and grinded with him to the beat of the music. Yeah he was attractive, but she didn’t get that feeling she got with Spike when she danced with him. This was strictly to make Spike jealous.

* * * * *

Spike walked over to the table, Harmony clinging to his arm gallingly. She wouldn’t stop all night. At first he thought it was nice to have someone want to touch him all the time but now, he was starting to get irritated.

“Hey guys…” he looked at the table and noticed Buffy wasn’t at it. “Where’s Buffy?”

The two girls looked at each other and laughed, then turned to Spike again. Cordy straightened her face, and pointed to the spot of the floor where Buffy was dancing (if one would call it dancing) with Angel.

Spike paled. He didn’t even know his jaw was clenched until is started ticking, which didn’t go unnoticed by the brunette and redhead.

“Who’s that?” he asked slowly through gritted teeth, trying to rein his sudden burst of flaming anger, his eyes never leaving the couple on the floor.

“Oh, um…I really don’t know, you’d have to ask her.” Willow replied restraining a laugh.

“Trust me…I will.” His eyes narrowing on the ponce with his arms around her.

“And the million dollar question is: why do you care?” Cordelia asked completely intrigued.

“Well-it’s-I-she-” Spike stopped his flustered words, ignoring the girls pursing lips and just barely contained giggles, while taking in a deep breath. “She’s my best friend…I’m just lookin out for her, alright?” he let out a sigh. “I need a smoke.” He walked out of the club, Harmony hot on his heels.

The two friends laugh their asses off once he left; swimming in the fact that he was sooo jealous. Yeah, he was protecting her…but not just because she was his best friend.

* * * * *

When the song was over, Buffy made her way back to the table, while Angel went to the bathroom.

“Hey…what’s so funny?” Buffy asked still breathless from the dancing.

Cordy and Willow couldn’t stop laughing since he left.

“Spike saw you dancing with Mr. Man and got all stammery.” Willow stated with a wide smile.

“Yeah, but not before, the colossal surge of anger that nearly blew his top. Honey, he was so jealous, he practically reeked of it. Good job.” Cordy folded her arms and leaned back in her chair.

Buffy sat down, and smiled happily. “Really he was really jealous? That’s great! So, where did he go?”

“Oh, went outside for a smoke…you never told us he smoked.” Willow said looking at Buffy with raised brows.

“That’s cause I didn’t know. Will was so against smoking when we were younger. He yelled at my dad for it.” She finished with a laugh. “Hmm. I guess people do change after a long period of time.”

Angel walked back to the table and tapped Buffy on the shoulder. She turned around with a smile. “Hey, Angel…um these are my friends Cordelia and Willow.” She pointed them out as she spoke. “Guys, this is Angel.”

The girls greeted him, Cordy a little more than Willow.

“Um, look Buffy; I got to go…got an early morning, but um, I’ll be in town for a while if you’re interested.” Angel shoved his hands into the pockets of his black leather coat.

Buffy thought he was a nice guy, and so far, nothing was happening with Spike. Maybe he could get her mind off him for a while. Oh, what the fuck. She pulled a napkin from under Cordy’s plate of fries and asked him for a pen.

She jotted down her number, and handed it to him with an alluring smile. He bent down and placed a kiss on her cheek before heading out the door of the club, and brushing past Spike.

* * * * *

Spike saw the whole exchange. All from, him walking up behind her…to Buffy giving him her number… to the kiss on the cheek that made her blush.
Spike just had to size him up when he swept past him. The evil eye was a very light way of the look he was giving him. If looks could kill, tall, dark and dreary would be six feet under.

He stalked back to the table, after finally getting rid of that annoying, high pitch voice that clung to him.

He didn’t know what he was going to say when he got over there, but he didn’t like that fact the she was giving out her number to some bloke she just met.

I got to stop her from seein this guy…I don’t like him. His hands all over her…touching her like she’s his. Piffle. He doesn’t even come close to deservin’ her. Can’t she see that?! He’s just a big lug, lookin for a good roll and tumble under the sheets. He sighed slightly frustrated. Why am I making such a big deal out of this? Buffy can make whatever decisions she wants. I don’t rule her life…Spike frowned deep realizing something huge.

“I’m jealous.” He whispered to himself stopping dead in his tracks. He stared at her, laughing with her friends. “Who wouldn’t be?”

a/n: thanks for reading...please review!!!