Author's Chapter Notes:
None of the characters from Buffy or Angel are mine they all belong to Joss and everyone at ME. For once I'm actually going to accept that...hehe but not for long..*evil grin*
Chapter 6: Slip Of The Tongue

It had been a week since the night at the Bronze, and Buffy and Spike had been trying to act indifferent about the events that night. Although Buffy and Angel weren’t dating, he would still call her and they would hook up every once in a while.

Buffy had told him that they would be better off as just friends, than anything more, and he completely agreed. But Spike didn’t have to know that.

* * * * *

A few of the times that Angel had called the house, and Spike had answered, he could feel his blood boil at the git’s voice. He could here Buffy giggling on the phone up in her room, and making plans for him to come over.

He didn’t want to sit around here while they did God knows what in her room.

Once Buffy got off the phone, Spike jumped off the couch, grabbed his duster, and yelled up the stair to Buffy telling her he was going out…and not to wait up. Yeah…like she would, you wanker! She’ll be up, but not thinkin of the likes of you…too busy shagging Mr. Broody. Spike let out a huff, and slammed the door behind him.

He didn’t know where he was going to go…but he found a drink was in order. So he found himself walking in the direction of The Bronze.

* * * * *

Buffy really wished Spike wasn’t out. She kinda thought they could have a talk. For some reason he was being all distant towards her now and she really didn’t like it. She figured she would put some time aside soon to spend some alone time with him. She was missing it; there was no doubt about that. She just didn’t want him running away scared. Yeah, Cordy and Willow said that he was jealous…but they could have easily misinterpreted it. He could have been looking out for her in the big brother way he always has.

Sighing deeply, she fixed up the house before Angel came to pick her up. He told her he was going to take her out for a drink before he had to go back to L.A., his way of saying goodbye, and she’s been a good friend over the past week.

* * * * *

About an hour and a half later, Buffy and Angel sat at the bar in The Bronze. The two told each other they’d keep in touch, and to call whenever they found themselves in each other’s towns.

Angel had offered her a ride home, but she had declined and told him she could use the fresh air, and the walk. He was a little uneasy about it, not wanting her to be out walking around at this time of night, but respected her wishes.

Buffy stepped out of the club and into the cool summer breeze of the back alley. She thought she was alone when she heard a giggle from behind her.

She knew that giggle. It was Harmony. Wonder what man-slut she has her hands on tonight?

She turned around just out of her curiosity. She saw a bleach blonde smiling down at her, running his hand down her arm.

Her eyes widened as her heart clenched. That was the last person she suspected. The words came out of her mouth before she could stop them.

“Spike?!” the two blondes looked over at her, like deer caught in headlights. “You’re the ‘man-slut’?!”

Spike gave her a confused frown, then pulled away from Harmony. He quietly told her that he’d talk to her later, and she headed back into the club.

Buffy just stared at him as he stepped closer to her. She forced herself not to cry at the sight she had just seen. It hurt…she felt like her whole body was set on fire, and she couldn’t do anything but let it consume her.

“Buffy…what are you doing here? I thought tall, dark and broody was comin over, for a lil grunt work.” His jaw was clenched at his own words. You ponce, only hurtin yourself.

Buffy looked at him incredulously. “What!? Spike what would make you-” she stopped herself knowing full well that she had lead him to believe they were together. “Angel and I aren’t together.” She said avoiding his gaze. “We’re just friends…he was leaving town, this was like a goodbye.”

“Well you surely didn’t look like friends on the dance floor last week.” His voice came out more bitter than he had expected.

Buffy couldn’t say anything, because she didn’t want to explain why she acted the way she did. They stood in silence for a while until Buffy spoke up.

“So you’re with Harmony now. Wow…that’s rich.” She said with a sour laugh. She crossed her arms over her chest feeling a sudden chill.

“What’s that suppose to mean, Buffy?” he was a little taken back by the harsh tone in her words.

“Oh, come on Spike. I know you’re not that blind.” Well obviously he is if he still hasn’t noticed you, Buff. “You’ve been here for what? Over two weeks, and you still haven’t noticed? Two days after I met Harmony I realized her pattern.” She paused letting the first bit sink in before she continued. “Harm’s a slut, okay…she’ll get her claws in you, and just when you think she’s gunna play nice…she rips them out.” she looked at him intensely, trying to get him to see her point.

“Who said I was looking for anything long term? What if I just want that ‘summer fling’, Buffy?” his voice had a tone almost as hard as hers.

She tried to stop the anger from rushing out of her…but to no avail.

“GAAAHH! Spike…don’t you understand what I’m trying to say?!” she asked, walking around him, so her back was to his. She ran her hand rapidly trough her hair. “Trust me Spi-”

Spike looked at her back, with narrow eyes. “What do you have against Harmony? Huh? Why do you have such a problem with me dating her?!”

Buffy flung around, her hair flipping with the momentum. “Because she’s not me!” she said in desperate cry. She didn’t even know she actually said them until she saw the look on his face.

Spike’s jaw had practically hit the floor. He didn’t know what to think right now.

She was shocked that she finally said it. She had wanted it to come out for a while now, but she never had the courage. But Spike had just made her mad enough then.

“Buffy-” Spike started but was cut off by Buffy’s raised hand.

“Don’t. Please. It’s really best if we didn’t…I got to go.” She kept her eyes on the ground, not daring to look up at him. She walked past him and started heading to the main street when she felt someone grab her arm. She stopped, but didn’t turn to look at him.

“Buffy, don’t pretend that that didn’t happen back there…” Spike pointed to the place that they were previously standing.

“I’m not pretending. I know what happened…I know what I said. And as much as I didn’t mean to say it like that…I wouldn’t take it back for the world.” Buffy fixated her eyes on a spot on the ground as she spoke. After a few moments of silence, Buffy blinked away her tears, letting them fall down her face. “You, um. You should go back in there…I’m sure Harmony’s waiting for you.” Her voice was soft but strained with pain.

It was then that Spike realized that he was still holding onto her arm. He let her go, watching as she walked off into the night.

He stood in the alley for a while, staring after her, trying to come to terms with what had just happened.

Apparently she was jealous of Harmony, just as he was jealous of that Angel bloke as she called him.

He walked to his car, and sat on the driver’s side. Both arms draped over the steering wheel, and he rested his forehead, on the back of his hands. He thought back to earlier in the week, and how close they were…now she wouldn’t even talk to him.

Wait one bloody minute. That’s why she was bein so close to me lately. All the times she was flirting with him and he figured she was just being playful, rushed into his mind. God, I’m such a git! Maybe I really am blind. He was pissed that he didn’t notice it earlier. It could have saved him a lot of energy.

This was starting to kill him. He liked her…it was a different feeling that he got when he was around her. Nothing like what it was like with the others. Especially Harmony. Yeah he knew her ways, but he just wanted to make her to be jealous. Apparently he already had. Now he felt really bad about it.

Then something else shoved its way through his brain. Fuck…I can’t be with her. The timing is all wrong. It would never work out. After everything in England…I got to talk to dad. He’ll know what to do.

Spike lifted his head up and started the car. Spike decided he’d drive around a bit before he’d go home. Give Buffy some time to be alone.

* * * * *

After about a 10 minute, slow-paced walk, Buffy had reached her house. She was happy that her mother was away for another couple of weeks for work. She headed up the stairs to her room, discarding her shoes and clothes on the way. Once in, she changed into her shorts and a tank top, and slipped under the covers.

She held Mr. Gordo tightly to her chest, crying softly, and letting her tears drop onto the plush. She felt like her heart was constricting, and being torn apart at the same time.

“This sucks.” She whined between sobs.

please review!!