Author's Chapter Notes:
I got to say conning Joss into believing that i own the characters from Buffy and Angel is fairly hard. He keeps saying that i'm crazy...but i'm not i'm just obsessed. :D
Chapter 7: Figure It Out

Spike reached the house and stepped in quietly, noticing all the lights were off. He figured Buffy had already fallen asleep. He grabbed the cordless phone from the wall in the kitchen and brought it out to the back porch.

* * * * *

Buffy had heard Spike come in the door. She stayed quiet and still, not wanting him to know she was still up. The truth was, no matter how exhausted she was from crying, she couldn’t fall asleep.

She heard him step onto the back porch through the open bedroom window. She listen to the beeping of the buttons, and inaudibly climbed out of the bed and stood behind her curtain, so he couldn’t see her if he happened to glance her way.

“Hey, dad…I’m fine, I guess. No, no it’s not that…they’re good…well Joyce is. We just got in a fight that’s all…don’t really want to talk about it now…I haven’t told her yet…yes I know, dad, I’m still figuring things out! Dad, everything changed when I came out here. I-I like her, a lot…but when you think about it, it’s logical, right? I mean she knows me better than anyone…only one I can talk to. Seems right that she’s the only one I want to be with.” Spike waited a long pause. “So, you’re tellin’ me you knew this was gunna happen? Wow, I really feel like a daft ponce right now.” He said with a chuckle. “Alright, I better get going…I’ll talk to you later. Bye.”

Buffy stood there in complete shock. He liked her back? He liked her back! She let a big smile take over her face. She started doing a little happy dance around her bed, before hopping in it, when she heard Spike mount the stairs.

She closed her eyes, and cuddled into the blankets.

* * * * *

Spike hung up the phone and went back inside. Taking a deep breath, he went up the stairs and stopped at Buffy’s door. He slowly and carefully turned the knob, and looked inside. She looked beautiful…all snuggled in her bed. The small strip of moonlight shone through the curtain, and onto her face.

He could tell she was crying. Her nose was red, and tears had stained her cheeks. He felt horrible for being the one to make her cry. He was always the one to wipe away her tears. He made a vow to himself that he would fix things in the morning.

He closed her door, and headed back to his room.

* * * * *

Buffy finally let out the breath she was holding. She heard Spike walk into her room. Even though she paid attention to the conversation with his dad, she still didn’t want to talk to him…not yet. She sighed and willed herself to sleep.

* * * * *

The next morning, Buffy woke up to the bright summer light that shone into her room. She stretched and sighed, as she got out of the bed and padded into the washroom.

When she got there, Spike was already brushing his teeth. He turned to her and gave her a nod, and continued at his task.

Buffy greeted him with a brief, tight smile, then grabbed her toothbrush and started her morning routine.

The room was quiet. The only sound being the brushes along their teeth and the odd spit into the sink.

This silence was killing her. She forced herself to finish quickly and get out of there, before she went insane. Spiting on last time, she rinsed out her mouth and headed back into her room. She threw herself on the bed, and stared up at the ceiling. She found a great fascination with it for some reason…also it was keeping her mind off the sexy blonde that she was crushing on.

Finally she got up and put on a pair of baby blue, velour shorts, white flip-flops and a white tank top. She brushed out her hair, and put it up in a high ponytail. Buffy applied a small amount of make-up, a thin line of black eyeliner on the rim of her bottom eyelid, and clear lip-gloss to her full pink lips. She headed down the stairs and into the kitchen, to prepare her self something to eat.

She got out the cereal box and the milk and poured them both into a bowl. Sitting down, again in silence, she ate her food, trying not to cry from joy that she found out that he liked her back. Even though she knew this she was still not in the mood to talk to him…it was still too awkward. She just needed to keep her distance from him right now…just for a little while.

As if on queue, Spike walked in and sat down across from her. Spike was dressed in a pair of tan cargo shorts, matching tan Lugs and a tight black beater. He just sat there, looking down at the tile of the island, a look of concentration on his face. Buffy lifted her eyes from her bowl to look at him, chewing her spoonful slowly.

He looks so lost…what’s goin on in that head of yours Spike? She put her spoon down with a clank, and looked up at him, her hands folded in front of her.

“Okay…Spike. Look, I know that what I told you last night might have been too much…but it’s true, okay, I do like you. I got so busy with trying to make you jealous, and getting you to notice that…I didn’t realize the only way I should have done it was to tell you. Now I’ve gone and royally screwed things up in our friendship-”

“You didn’t.” Spike cut in. He looked up at her and grabbed her hand. “Buffy…you didn’t screw up anything okay? The truth is: I have feelings for you too, luv. And the whole ‘trying to make me jealous’ thing worked like a bloody charm. I hated seein you with another guy…then I realized: I wanna be ‘that guy’. And trust me, pet, I noticed. As soon as I walked through that door I noticed.”

Buffy had tears in her eyes and she couldn’t stop them from coming. “Will, you have no idea how badly I wanted to hear you say that.” She took a deep breath, to calm her nerves. “Spike, whatever happens between us…I want to stay friends, okay? You mean too much to me to end that.” Tears were freely falling from her eyes now, and dripping down her cheeks.

“I never doubted that for a second, pet.” He wiped away her tears with the pad of his thumb. “But you need to know, that no matter what…I’ll always be here for you. Always.” He let his hand caress her cheek running his thumb lightly over her bottom lip, feeling the softness of it. “And if you let me…I’d like to do something for you.”

Buffy was in a complete state of shock. As soon as his thumb touched her lips the way he did she thought she’d been dreaming. “What kind of something?” she asked with wide eyes accompanied with a hopeful expression.

Spike gave her a soft smile. “A date kind of something.” The bright smile on her face told him it was a definite yes.

“Have you seen you?” she looked at him incredulously. “Of course I’d let you.” The two jumped up with absolute exhilaration, and launched into each other’s arms.

Holding her tightly to him, Spike ran his fingers through her hair softly. After a while he pulled away to look at her. “Alright luv. Head on upstairs and get ready. I want to make the most of this date.” He shot her a smirk and a kiss on the forehead.

“Today?! I thought maybe you’d give me a little bit of a notice.” Buffy didn’t mind at all, and she was happy that he was so eager to go out with her.

“I am. We leave in 20 minutes…now get that cute body of yours up there and get ready.” He said poking her stomach playfully.

Letting out a giggle Buffy replied. “Where are we going? I need to know what to wear.”

“It’s a surprise.” Spike looked over her quickly. “Second thought. Don’t bother.” Buffy looked up at him with a raised brow. “You look great! Come on lets go.” Spike grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the kitchen and into the entry.

Spike quickly grabbed his car keys, and pulled her out the front door.

* * * * *

About 10 minutes later, the two pulled up a gravel road. Buffy got out of the car with excitement. She looked around at her surroundings and then back at Spike.

“Oh my God, Spike. I didn’t think you’d ever remember this place.” She walked over to him and they walked to a nearby tree.

“How could I forget? This was our second home when we were kids.”

Spike had taken her to a secluded area, complete with a big willow tree, a little grassy field, and a clear miniature pond. They had always spent their mornings there, knowing that no one could find them in their secret spot. Spike would chase Buffy around the field until they couldn’t run anymore, and they collapse to the ground and watch the clouds move in the bright blue sky above them.

Buffy walked over to the pond and took off her flip-flops before placing her feet in the refreshing water. Spike did the same and leaned back on his palms. Buffy pulled her ponytail out, and laid her top half on the grass behind her.

“You know, I came here everyday for two years after you left…hoping that maybe you’d show up and things could be the way they use to. I stopped when I figured out that you weren’t coming back.” Buffy lolled her head to the side to look up at Spike.

He gazed over her, and noticed how beautiful she looked with her golden tresses splayed out around her face. Spike turned on his side and rested beside her in the grass. He played with a lock of her hair, twirling it around his finger. “I missed this place…I missed you.”

Buffy smiled up at him. “I missed you too. I have never had a friend quite like you, William Giles. Even if you were in a different country, it didn’t change anything. You were the one guy that I measured all others against…and none of them ever made the halfway mark.” Buffy reached up and cupped his chiseled cheek. “You were the special one…the one I placed up on a pedestal and held closer to my heart than anyone.”

Spike could see all the sincerity in her eyes, and couldn’t take it anymore. Spike leaned over and captured her lips with his. He wanted to do that ever since she told him that she liked him.

Buffy was a little surprised at first, but quickly adjusted. She wrapped her arms around his neck and brought him down to her, deepening the kiss. Spike weaved his hands through her hair, bringing her closer to him, loving the taste of her on his lips.

Buffy had been kissed before, but he made her feel like she hadn’t been. It was so passionate, so powerful that she thought not even the strongest forces could break the bond they were sharing. It was like he knew exactly what it was she liked, and was giving it to her selflessly.

After some time, Spike pulled back slowly, looking down on her with adoring eyes. Placing one last kiss on her lips, as he brushed her hair out of her face, and behind her ear. A smile graced his lips and he stood up slowly grabbing her hand, and pulled her up as well.

“Come on, luv…I wanna show you something.” He walked her over to the willow tree, and pushed past the long branches to get to the trunk. “I hope it’s still here.” he said walking around the trunk searching for the markings; Buffy’s hand still nestled in his large one. He stopped abruptly, and let his fingertips run over the carved and bumpy surface. “This is it. I got my dad to stop here one last time before we went to the airport. I borrowed his army knife and did this.” And there it was etched in the hard bark, was: ‘Buffy and William’ and right beneath it: ‘best friends 4ever’

That was the sweetest thing she had ever seen. She couldn’t believe she hadn’t noticed it before. She went there everyday for two years.

Her hand went up the carved words, tracing them with her finger. She closed her eyes and let a tear slip down her cheek. Opening them, she looked over at Spike, and noticed that he was watching her. She wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head on his chest. Spike marveled at the feel of her, and swallowed her in his embrace, and rested his cheek on top of her head.

She couldn’t believe how right this felt. Like everything was all in the right place. She loved him…she didn’t know how yet, if it was as a friend or more…but she did. And it felt good.

please review!!!