Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello all! Thanks for the reviews on the first chapter! Warms my heart! ::hugs::

So in this chappy, Spike is 28. He is 8 years older than Buffy
London, England 1863

I hate balls.

That was what was going through Buffy’s head as she stood by the wall, watching everyone dance. Every ball was the same. She stood in the same spot by a balcony, watching everyone else have a good time. As she watched the couples twirling on the floor, she felt a twinge of envy. Most gentlemen didn’t ask her to dance because she wasn’t the most beautiful girl, with her looks. Most gentlemen preferred brunette’s with dark eyes. That was just fine with her, though. She only danced when it was necessary, with her father or her uncles. It didn’t matter anyway because the only person Buffy wanted to dance with, she never would.

Alexander Harris was the man of Buffy’s dreams. Xander, she called him. He had to title, and seemingly no money, but that didn’t matter to her. She knew that he loved her. Her father had called him a dowry chaser, but she didn’t believe that. Even across the room from one another, like right now, his heart called to her. He would sneak glances at her when he thought that no one would notice. He sent her flowers; they would sneak off and meet together in the garden. If her father ever found out, he would probably send her off to a convent, but it didn’t matter. She would find a way to be with Xander if it killed her.

“Something on your mind?” A snippety voice called from behind Buffy.

Buffy turned to see Faith Harris walking toward her. “Faith, so nice to see you.”

Faith smirked. “Is it? I guess it is good to see you too. Are you still mooning over my brother?” she asked, her eyes pointing to Xander. “You know that he is way too good for you.”

Buffy’s smile was tight. “As always, it is a pleasure to speak with you, Faith, but I fear I must leave now.” Emily turned to leave, but stopped when Faith’s voice stopped her.

“And do what? Ask Alexander to dance? How would your father feel about that? To see you twirling around with my brother?” Faith asked snidely, drinking a sip of her champagne. “You know, I really don’t see what my brother likes so much about you. You look like a dolly. With all that hair and those starry eyes. No wonder no one ever wants to dance with you. I wouldn’t want you on my arm either.”

Faith’s words had hit their mark. Buffy was never thought of as beautiful, but she thought she was pretty enough. At least Xander thought she was pretty enough, and that was all that mattered. But still, Buffy could feel the tears start to form in her eyes. Faith really knew how to kick somebody down. Buffy tried to fight back the tears, but as much as she wanted to, her mind wouldn’t cooperate. She could feel them trail down her cheeks.

Spike watched the encounter from the other side of the room. Damn that stupid girl! Spike thought, watching as tears formed in Buffy’s eyes. There was only one way to put a stop to this nonsense. As Spike made his way over to Buffy, he watched Faith through guarded eyes as she smiled into her champagne glass. “Hello, Buffy. Would you care to dance?”

“William..” Buffy breathed, more relieved to see him than she ever knew possible.

“Your Highness, I don’t think our little wallflower likes to dance.” Faith sneered, putting down her champagne glass. “But I would be more than happy to dance with you.”

Spike noticed the way Buffy grimaced as Faith spoke. It only furthered his plan. “No thank you, Miss Harris. I asked the most beautiful lady in the room for this waltz, and that, my dear, isn’t you.” Spike smiled at Buffy. “Shall we, my lady?” he asked, offering her his arm.

Buffy beamed up at him. “Yes, your grace, let’s dance.” She replied, giving him her arm. “I’ll talk to you later, Miss Harris.” Buffy threw over her shoulder, just in time to see the look of rage and jealousy on her face. “Thank you so much for getting me away from her, Spike.” Buffy whispered as they took their places for the waltz. “ It means a lot to me.”

Spike smiled at her. “I didn’t do it for you. I wanted to dance with the most beautiful woman in the room. I have quite the reputation, you know.” Spike smirked down at her, and swept her up into a waltz.

Buffy could feel her face getting hot. “There is no need to lie to me, Spike.” Buffy whispered, looking down at his cravat.

Spike stopped the dancing and lifted her head with his finger. “I would not lie to you, Buffy.” He had to contain himself as Buffy looked at him. She was looking at him with such wonder and awe… like she had never been told that she was beautiful. “I think we need to speak outside, Miss Summers.”

***

The air outside was cool, the breeze picking up in the night sky. Spike ushered Buffy to the garden, sitting down beside her on the bench. As Buffy studied the night sky, Spike studied Buffy. She was a beautiful creature, he thought. But still so innocent of the world. She had no idea what the world could hand her if she wasn’t careful. “I know about Alexander Harris, Buffy.”

“There is nothing to know.” Buffy told him, her heart racing in her chest.

“Look at me, Elizabeth.” Spike requested. He did not speak again until he could see her eyes. “There is much to know about that fortune hunter.”

Buffy’s eyes flared. “Don’t speak about him like that. He loves me!” She exclaimed, but promptly shut her mouth after revealing such a secret.

Spike studied her face. “He loves you? Is that what he told you?”

“Yes.” Buffy snapped, turning her face away from him.

“Then why hasn’t he asked your father for your hand? Is he afraid that Daddy will say no?” Spike inquired, looking at her stiff posture.

“He knows that my father will not allow me to marry him. That is why we are planning to elope once Xander gets some money.” Buffy told him, looking straight back into his eyes. “Why do you care if I marry Alexander Harris?”

“Because I care about you, Buffy.” Spike told her, unashamed of his feelings. “I don’t want to see you disinherited by your father because you chose a man who could not provide things for you!”

“Why do you care?!” Buffy asked, getting up from the bench. “You have no reason to care if I get disinherited at all!”

Spike stood up. “I would be dead right now if it hadn’t been for you and your mother. I have every right to care about you!” Spike exclaimed, reaching for her wrist. “I’ll prove it to you.” He told her just before he pulled her to him.

“How?” Buffy asked, her breath coming in small pants. He was entirely too close. In all her twenty years, Buffy had never been held this close by a man, and now she feared she might die from it.

“Like this.” Spike whispered before his lips came crashing down on hers.


Buffy stood frozen....Prince William Stanislaski wasn't kissing her... was he?

It seemed her mind was frozen, but her body knew exactly what to do. Her arms came up around his neck, anchoring her to the only solid thing in her universe. His mouth was gentle, but insistent. His hands moved up to caress her face, opening her mouth to the thrust of his tongue. He moaned, as if the taste of her mouth was killing him. She responded tentatively, her tongue shyly meeting his, in a slow thrust of pleasure.

Spike groaned again, crushing her in his embrace. He had waited so long for this moment... for this kiss. Now she was in his arms, pliant and willing. One of his hands grasped the back of her neck, tilting her head back so he could open her more to his kisses. She tasted like champagne and flowers. Spike sighed, gentling the kiss by degrees, until he could finally let her go.

Buffy looked up at him with wide eyes. "What was that?" she asked, her breath coming in small bursts.

Spike searched her face. "I don't know."

"That was..."

"For me too." he whispered, his hands running over her arms.

Buffy stepped out of his embrace. "That can't happen again. I love Xander." Buffy turned away, her hand coming up to her lips. "I love Xander..." she whispered again.

"Are you trying to convince yourself or me?" Spike asked, stepping toward her again, and putting his hands on her shoulders. Gently, as if not to scare her, he drew her back until she rested against him. Spike turned his head into her hair. "Buffy, don't be afraid of me."

"I'm not. You are just shocking me with all of this." Buffy told him, a small hitch in her voice.

"Shocking you?" Spike asked, kissing the side of her neck.

"Yes..." Buffy moaned, turning in his arms. "I never thought that you would ever feel something for me other than sisterly affection..."

Spike smiled and shook his head. "Buffy.." he whispered, titling his head in for another kiss.

"You call me cousin!" Buffy said quickly, shaking her head. "I have to go... I'm sorry.." She whispered, and quickly ran up the steps, and into the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~

Twenty minutes later, Buffy stood by her mother's side at the edge of the dance floor.

"Are you alright dear? You seem a little preoccupied." Joyce asked, reaching out and touching Buffy's arm.

Buffy smiled brightly. "I am fine, mother. I am just a tad tired."

Joyce frowned. "Do you wish to go home? I can do the dance for you."

"The dance?" Buffy asked, her brow furrowing.

"The dance to begin the ball. You told William that you would dance it with him." Joyce reminded her.

Buffy grimaced. "No, I forgot. I will dance it, Mother. Don't worry." Buffy put on a good show, but inside she was shaking. How was she supposed to dance with Spike after what happened in the garden? How could she let him touch her and not remember the way she shamelessly let him have his way with her? She felt her skin grow warm at the memory.

"Are you alright dear? You look a little flushed.... are you ill?" Joyce asked, her questioning brown eyes on her only daughter.

"I am fine, Mother. I am a little overheated. I think I shall go outside and get some cool air on my cheeks." Buffy replied, taking her fan out of her curricle.

"Do you want me to come with you, dear?"

"No, I will be fine, Mother. I will be back in a few minutes."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~


Outside in the Stanislaski Garden

Spike wondered around aimlessly. How long he had waited for Buffy's kiss... it was better than he had ever dreamed. She was so passionate, so pure. He ached to touch her again, to be with her. How could this have happened? He hadn't meant to kiss her.... but when she stood there with fire in her eyes, it was the only way that he could show her that she was more than just a friend to him. Spike sighed, raking a hand through his hair. How could he have let it go so far?

A noise from behind a hedge captured Spike’s attention. Voices could be heard shortly after. Intrigued, Spike walked over to the edge of the hedge to peer around it. Much to his surprise, the person... or should he say people, making that noise was Buffy and Alexander Harris. "Interesting.." Spike whispered, keeping his spot at the hedge. "Very interesting."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh Buffy.." Xander sighed, wrapping his arms around her. "I have longed to hold you all night." She felt so good in his arms. How he wanted to have her like this always. "Just a few more years, my love, and we will be together."

Buffy smiled, looking up into his handsome face. "Why do we have to wait? Why not just go now?" Buffy asked, holding him tighter against her. "We could just run away..."

Xander broke from the embrace with a sound of annoyance. "We CAN'T just run away, Buffy!" Xander told her sternly, his hands holding her shoulders. "Where would we go?"

"Anywhere!" Buffy cried. "It doesn't matter where we are, just as long as we are together! Don't you understand that?"

"No! I don't understand." Xander told her coldly, walking away from her. "What kind of life could I give you? We would be penniless..."

"But happy!" Buffy argued, her arms dangling lifelessly at her side. "We would be happy."

"As what?" Xander scoffed. "The wife of a farmer?"

"Why not?" Buffy smiled, walking over to him. "We would be happy together. It doesn't matter to me if we go to balls or if I have fancy dresses. I just want you."

Xander sighed, as if defeated, wrapping his arms around her. "I know, my love. We would be happy, but I want more for you than that. I want you to have the life that you have always dreamed of...a life that includes your family. Your father would be furious if we eloped.. Especially if I had no money to my name." He smiled, rubbing his nose against hers. "Just trust me, love. Everything will work out."

Buffy sighed and nodded, defeated. "I trust you Xander.... with everything I have."

Xander smiled. "Kiss me before I go in, my love. I have been waiting all night for one of your sweet kisses." he told her, bending his head down to receive her kiss. His lips were warm and soft, brushing lightly against hers in the briefest of touches. She tried to deepen the kiss, to feel again what she had felt with William. To prove to herself that it wasn't just him that made her feel that way. Xander resisted though, pulling back before she felt the smallest of flickers. "Mmm.. thank you.." he whispered, lifting his head.

Buffy smiled slightly. "Go inside before someone sees us." She waved as he walked back inside to the party. Slowly, Buffy lifted her hand to her lips. "Oh God.. what has he done to me?" Her hand was trembling against her lips, angering her. She squared her shoulders, and made her way back to the party.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~

The ballroom was a sight to behold. The floor was littered with couples, all eagerly waiting for the official start of the dancing. A dance at Greystone, William’s palace, was a yearly occasion that everyone wished to hold an invitation to. Candles glittered all around the room, and above their heads in a beautiful chandelier. Buffy spied her mother and father talking in a group of their old friends. She recognized a few as her godparents, Duke of Carlinton, Giles, and his duchess, Jenny. Another couple was her father's business partner Lord Robin Wood and his wife, Willow. Buffy smiled as her mother caught her eye. Buffy waved and started to make her way over until a hand on her arm stopped her. "Allow me to escort you, Elizabeth." And Buffy found herself looking into the face of Prince William Stanislaski.

Buffy's skin burned from where his gloved hand touched her skin. Why was this happening now? Why when she finally found happiness with Xander? "I would be honored, your highness."

Spike smiled at her, his eyes twinkling with humor. "Spike. Don't you think we are on a first name basis, Elizabeth?" His smiled widened at her blush. "Shall I escort you?"

"If you wish it, your majesty." Buffy replied, her eyes trained on the floor.

Spike bent his head, and whispered in her ear.. "I wish it very much, Buffy. Very much."

Buffy's head shot up at his statement, and she found herself nose to nose with him, in a very inappropriate position... especially in a crowded ballroom. If she thought it was impossible to blush anymore, she was wrong. She could feel herself getting much hotter by the moment. Fortunately, her discomfort was only momentary. A servant came to her rescue, talking to Spike in hushed tones. When he looked back at her, his face was preoccupied. "Unfortunately, I cannot accompany you to your parents. It is time for my blasted speech."

He looked so much like a petulant child that had been deprived one of his favorite toys, Buffy had to laugh. "Don't worry, Spike, you get to dance with me."

His eyes darkened at the use of his childhood name. "I will hold you to that, Elizabeth." Spike whispered, bringing her hand up for his kiss.

And as he walked away, Buffy couldn't help but think that she was playing with fire... and the funny thing was, she didn't care if she got burned.