Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry this is so short.. my muse took a break! Thanks for all the feedback, it's awesome!
Prince of Dreams Chapter Three



“I would like to thank all of you for coming tonight…”

Spike’s rich voice flowed through the room like honey. Buffy was momentarily mesmerized by the sound. His accent was almost… well… British. Funny that she had never noticed it before. If one did not know any better, one would think that he was a born and bread Englishman. He dressed in the highest of British fashion with highly shined Hessians. His hair was riot of curls cropped close to his head in a wonderfully strange shade of blonde and copper. But his eyes… his eyes. A woman could get lost in those. Deep pools of cobalt blue surveyed the room as he spoke. A slight smile gracing his full mouth. How could this be the man that almost had her mother killed? She knew it was, for she was there when he took her. But had he changed? Was he sorry?

“Mother, I need to speak with your for a moment.” Buffy whispered. “I need to know everything about William.”

Joyce’s eyes became guarded. “What do you want to know about William?”

Buffy put her hand on her mother’s arm. “Everything you know.”

”Why?”

Buffy closed her eyes, drawing her brow down in annoyance. “Mama, please. I need to know.”

“Buffy..” Joyce sighed, covering Buffy’s hand with her own. “You know everything that matters. You know that he kidnapped me, but you also know that he saved me from a certain death. That is all you need to know.”

“Mama, I need to know EVERYTHING. Why did he kidnap you?” At her mother’s silence, Buffy grew agitated. “Mother, I MUST know. Please do not hide things from me. You promised that you would always tell me the truth. I NEED to understand what happened.”

“Why the sudden interest in William, Buffy? You have known him for 8 years and only NOW you are asking me? I don’t understand.”

“Mother, please. I need to understand the situation with a woman’s eyes. Not a child’s.”

Joyce’s eyes softened at her tone. “You were so young when everything happened. Alright child, I will tell you everything you wish to know.”

*****

Alexander Harris listened to Prince William Stanislaski with disdain. God how he hated the bastard. How could someone be so bloody pompous when he wasn’t even one of them? He wasn’t part of the Ton. He was a bloody immigrant with money. That’s it. Why did everyone seem to hang on his every word? He was a murderer, if one listened to the gossip. He had killed someone in cold blood. For what, no one dared to speculate. But, it had been bad enough for the Prince to be exiled from his own country. He wished the wanker would stop talking so he could go find Buffy.

Ah.. Elizabeth. Just her name was enough to lighten his mood. Who would have guessed his fortune? She loved him AND she had money. It was fabulous. And to think that he cared for the girl too? Remarkable. When he set his cap for her, little did he know that she had a brain behind that blonde head of hers? She was so spunky and so willing to do ANYTHING for him. It was a wonder that he hadn’t bedded her already. But, she had to trust him. She had to believe that he was a gentleman, not a dowry chaser. He did care for the gel, but he never thought of her when he was lying between Drusilla’s thighs.

Drusilla… that name was enough to make his cock heavy. The woman had absolutely no shame in bed. None. A bloody marvel, she was. The way that her quim felt around his cock was heaven enough, but the fact that she didn’t wish anything from him? Now THAT was absolutely remarkable. She was happy enough when he graced her with his presence. The occasion bauble kept her happy in his absence. She did not wish to marry him, or saddle him with children that he couldn’t feed. In fact, she was very careful not to get herself heavy with a burden that neither of them wanted. He would defiantly keep her with him once he landed his prize. And think of all the pretty things he could buy her once he had Buffy’s money?

He just had to keep Buffy waiting for a little while longer. His plan was almost set. She was such a responsive thing. And if that kiss in the garden told him anything, he wouldn’t have to wait long for her to come to him. All he needed was her alone to compromise her so badly, that Summers would have no choice but to let him marry her, dowry and all. Xander smiled to himself. He couldn’t wait to open her sweet thighs to see the prize for all his patience and hard work.

Soon, he told himself.. Very soon.

*************
Buffy stood speechless after her talk with her mother. Spike thought that JOYCE had killed his brother? Joyce.. her step-mother, who was afraid of spiders? To think that she could actually kill someone in cold blood? That was almost inconceivable to anyone who knew her. “I don’t understand. He thought that YOU killed his brother? Why you?”

Joyce smiled slightly. “Sergei and I were engaged to be married.”

Buffy’s mouth opened in an “O” from. “So that automatically means that you killed him?”

“I found his body, Buffy.”

Buffy’s gasp reverberated through the small library. “You FOUND him?”

Joyce nodded, her eyes heavy with the memory. “Yes. Someone had stuck a letter opener in his throat. He was still alive when I found him. He reached for me, and I got blood all over my dress. I don’t remember much after that, but the police arrived and they took me to jail. They were going to hang me, Buffy.”

Buffy paled. “HANG YOU? Oh, Mama..” Buffy breathed, blinking away tears. “How did you get away?”

Joyce smiled. “A nun believed in my innocence and smuggled me out of the prison. I received safe passage to London on a charter boat, and my mother sent a missive to Giles explaining what was happening. Then they got me the position as your governess with your father.”

“But Spike was looking for you, wasn’t he?” Buffy asked, her brow dropping. “He found you in London after you married Papa… and he took you back to Russia.” Buffy smiled recalling the memory. “I remember.”


London, 1854

11 Year old Buffy Summers didn’t think life could get much better. She had a new mother, Joyce, and she was shopping for a new dress! Things in Buffy-Land were absolutely great! She could hear her new mother laughing at someone the dress maker lady said, and her heart filled with joy. After the death of her mother, Buffy never thought that her father would actually fall in love again. To see how happy Joyce made her father was enough for her, but the fact that Joyce seemed to love Buffy too? It was fabulous. She finally had her family that she always wanted.

Family…

That word had always been foreign to Buffy growing up. Her mother died when she was so young, the only female influences she ever had was the servants and her God Mother, Jenny. But that all changed when Joyce came into their lives. She was like a whirlwind of love and compassion. She had changed the darkness in her father’s eyes to light and love. Buffy didn’t think she would ever be able to pay her back for that.

“Mama, what do you think of this?” Buffy asked, holding up a piece of fabric. “I think it would go with my eyes.”

Joyce smiled, taking the fabric in her hand. “I believe you are right, Buffy. You will look beautiful!” Joyce pronounced, hugging her new daughter warmly. “I think we shall buy you 10 dresses with in the color!”

Buffy giggled. “I think that is a grand idea!” She flung her around Joyce. “I love you.”

Joyce’s eyes glistened. “I love you too, Buffy.”

“Aw, how sweet..” a dark voice interrupted. “And to think I came all this way just to mess up this pretty little picture.”

Joyce turned toward the voice. Her heart was hammering. How did he find her? “William.” She stated, placing Buffy behind her.

Spike inclined his head, his eyes never leaving Joyce. “Joy.”

Buffy clung to her mother’s skirts. She didn’t like this. Why was her mother so afraid? “Mama, who is this man?”

Spike tilted his head to the side. What a pretty young gel, he thought. “Hello, Cutie. Who are you?”

“I am Elizabeth Summers. Who are you?”

Spike smiled slightly. “Prince William Stanislaski at your service, my lady.” Spike told her, bending down at the waist.

“Shut up.” Joyce seethed, grabbing Buffy by the shoulders. She crouched down to her level and spoke into her eyes. “Listen to me, Buffy. I love you… always remember that I love you. I want you to run.”

“Run?”

“Yes, darling. Run as fast as you can back home and get your father. Tell him who is here and tell him that I love him.” Joyce’s eyes misted over. “Please Buffy. Tell him that I love him.”

Buffy started crying. “What is going on? Why are you saying goodbye to us? Don’t you want to be with us?” Buffy threw her arms around Joyce. “Please don’t leave me, Mama. I love you. Have I been bad? Please stay.”

Joyce felt herself breaking down. She needed to be strong. She HAD to be strong. “I don’t want to leave you, honey. I have to. I love you always.” She pulled Buffy back so she could look into her eyes. “Now run, baby!” She told her, pushing her towards the door. “Run!”

Joyce and Spike watched as Buffy ran out the door, heedless to whoever was in her way. Spike brought his malicious gaze back to Joyce. “It is time to pay for what you did, Joy. Did you think you could run forever?”

“Go to hell, your Highness.”




Buffy was brought back to her senses by her mother. “The speech is almost over, Buffy. You need to be out there so you can dance. Did you find out everything you needed to know?”

Buffy smiled. “Not everything, but enough.”

Now she had to talk to Spike.