Author's Chapter Notes:
Probably should have posted 2 and 3 together. Sorry if there was any confusion from chapter 2.
Buffy’s struggled with her emotions. She couldn’t decide if she should be sobbing her heart out for Angel or turning cartwheels because she had her Spike back. Her Spike. He looked just the same, well of course he would. But the feeling, it was as if they had never been apart.

She lay in bed gazing at the ceiling. Her thoughts going back their final night together before the battle.

That night she had stood on the porch for the longest time. Contemplating the morning to come, the lives she was responsible for, the girls she may lose. She was used to feeling alone, but this was different, it had occurred to her, almost as a surprise, that this time she didn’t have to be completely alone.

When she entered the cellar he had been waiting for her, standing, looking for the entire world like her salvation, her champion. She has paused at the bottom of the stairs not wanting to spoil the image of him. It couldn’t last. They had been drawn to each other by the invisible force of their love. Not a word was spoken as he gently placed his arms around her. Kissing her lightly, gently, Buffy knew that he was taking his lead from her, not wanting to destroy the trust that had built up between them.

They had made love most of the night, really made love, not the violent blind shagging. This had been gentle and almost reverent. They clung to each other not wanting to be out of skin contact. How many times had she relived that night in her mind over the months after? And now, she had found him again, her gentle vampire.

The contrast of emotions tore into her again. How many times had Angel come to her aid, protected her, and guided her? For his faults always been there even when she hadn’t wanted him. Now he was gone forever.

Eventually Buffy gave up trying to sleep. She climbed out of bed and padded down towards kitchen. On the way she paused briefly outside Willow and Kennedy’s room. She tapped gently on the door. When there was no immediate reply she decided to continue with her trip to the kitchen. She had managed a few steps when the door opened. Turning she was confronted with a scowling Kennedy.

“Buffy!” The girl hissed, surprised. “What’s wrong?”

“Oh nothing.” Buffy answered in a hushed tone. “Sorry if I woke you. I wondered if Willow was up?”

The witch’s head appeared behind her girlfriend. “I’m up, I’m up.”

“Is it important?” Kennedy snapped. “It’s very early!”

“No, not important. I just wanted some talkie time. It can wait.”

Willow cut in, fastening her robe around her. “It’s ok. I’m up.” She pecked Kennedy lightly on the cheek. “You go back to bed sweetie.”

Buffy had continued to the kitchen.

Kennedy pouted. “I wanted to spend some ‘us’ time as we’re awake so early…”

“Me too, but I think Buffy needs to talk? I’ll bring you back a big mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows?”

“Why do you have to jump when she says so? It’s not even as if she is the one and only anymore, not like my world saving witch, I want to show you how special you are…” She whined.

“She’s my friend and I get the feelies that she needs me. I won’t be too long?”

Kennedy reluctantly let Willow past. “She still has the power though.” She muttered bitterly as the redhead walked away.

In the kitchen Buffy was raiding the fridge as Willow entered.

“Where does all the food go?” She muttered, her head in the icebox.

“Slayering is a high calorie occupation.” The witch replied. “That’s why you’re all so super skinny, but eat like pigs.”

Buffy grimaced. “Thanks for the piggy image Will.”

They settled either side of the counter with a box of Lucky Charms between them for munchies, sans milk.

“So Buffy. What’s the topic?”

“Last night when I was out with the girls. We went to a demon bar and I found Spike!” Buffy blurted out excitedly. She could barely contain herself waiting while her friend digested the information.

“Tall, blonde, Buffy obsessed, vampire, Spike?”

“Is there any other?”

“Guess not.” Willow was obviously shaken.

“He’s alive and living in London…” Buffy went on to relate the previous evening’s conversation as verbatim as possible. When she finished Willow reached out and held her hand.

“Are you ok honey?”
“About Angel? I don’t know, yes, no, I think I am still processing. About Spike, a big resounding thousand times yes, yes, yes!”

Willow smiled knowingly. “So does this mean you need me to go out and find some blood because you are too tired after ‘patrolling’ all night? I take it there is a sleepy vampire upstairs with a very smug smile on his face?”

“No.” Buffy said primly. “I slept alone. Thank you!”

Willow looked confused. “I thought you said you found him. Where…Why?”

Buffy shrugged her shoulders. “I tried to get him to come home but he was all bad moody about it. I think he felt kinda weird coming back here.”

“Spike did? Are you sure he’s the same Spike?”

Buffy grinned. “Yeah I know. Must be a side effect of the soul or something.”

So…?” Willow grinned. “When are you going to see him again?”

Buffy thought about this for a moment. “I… I don’t know?”

“Let me get this straight. You found Spike, who you just admitted happens to be the love of your life and you don’t know where he is or when you are going to see him again? What’s wrong with this picture?”

Buffy shrugged. “This is Spike we are talking about. He’ll turn up.”

“He hadn’t turned up before now?” Willow said gently.

“No… that was before though. We’re all with the communication now, Well… as communicaty as we get. He knows how I feel about him. There’s no reason for him to stay away.” Buffy was content with her explanation.

Willow didn’t want to burst the bubble. She deeply hoped for her friend’s sake that she was right.




Spike had also been contemplating the chance meeting. As he walked away from the gate he was glad that he’d resisted. The easiest thing would have been to follow Buffy; damn it took nearly all his strength to walk away. But no, this time he was determined to take things slowly. It was going to be difficult. Patience had never been one of Spikes strong points, but he had spent so long convincing himself that she was better off without him.

Now everything had changed. There she had been, blonde beautiful Buffy, in the flesh telling him that she loved him, couldn’t live without him. Ok, she had still hit him, but that was Buffy all over. If he was going to get a second chance he wanted to give her what she deserved. This time without the imminent end of the world to hurry them, the romantic in him demanded a courtship. She was going to be swept off her feet.

Deep inside Spikes subconscious Angelus stirred. His surprise at his resurrection and even greater surprise at being confronted with Buffy had nearly caused him to reveal himself. Clearly he was not in the body that he was used to. This one was smaller, leaner. He was lucky that his initial slip had not been noticed. Calling her Buff would be a dead give away.

Tentatively his essence stretched out. Not enough to alert his host, but just a feeling out of where he was, and more importantly, who.

His presence attracted the demon in Spike. It purred gently, recognising its Sire.

Angelus acknowledged the childe immediately. He could not believe his luck. No wait, this wasn’t luck this was something more. It was only natural that the Sire would be connected to his childe. They were linked through all eternity, apparently even after the more permanent form of death. He was in no hurry to be on his way to the hell dimension that was no doubt waiting for him. This was a new development that needed to be exploited to its fullest.

At the same time he would have to be careful. Since becoming close to the slayer, Spike had not been the childe he once was. Angelus could feel the love flowing through his host as he thought of her. Then there was the soul, always troublesome, in his experience. Hadn’t his own made his life a living hell, with the brooding and the doing good? How would Spike’s soul react to an evil interloper? Best to keep hidden for the moment until the situation could be more fully assessed.

In the meantime the bloodlust in Spike began to rise. Angelus latched onto it with a vengeance, keeping himself concealed behind Spikes own yearnings to feed.

Spike felt his stomach rumbling. The need for food was suddenly strong. He thought of the jar of pig’s blood back in his apartment and made a face. No matter what he added to it, it still tasted like pigs blood.

Briefly he imagined the taste of human blood. His mouth watered involuntarily. He shook his head. ‘Where the bloody hell had that come from?’

Mentally slapping himself, he decided it best to get back home. ‘Hunger must be worse than I thought.’

Deep inside Angelus subsided. ‘You run along home boy. I can wait… for now.”