Author's Chapter Notes:
post season finale's of both BtVS and Angel
Previously on BtVS: Buffy is living in London at the Slayer Academy. Whilst on a trainee Slayer field trip she comes across Spike in a demon bar. One broken nose and a few snarky comments later, the Vampire finds himself again under the original slayer’s spell, this time without the hocus pocus.
Wanting to give his girl the courtship she deserves Spike gathers all his self control, leaving her to go to her bed alone and limiting their contact to nothing more than a kiss. (All be it with the rising music and the… rising music.) Buffy reluctantly lets him go, using the time to deal with her true loves return and the knowledge that her first love Angel died in the final battle.
Unbeknown to them both, is seems their renewed connection has also channelled the demon Angelus who has taken up residence in Spike’s subconscious.
Angelus is weak and confused, biding his time… for the moment.




Buffy decided to cut short the patrol. Since she had spent most of the evening looking out for Spike the girls weren’t getting the full benefit of her instruction. Plus with them in tow, she couldn’t concentrate on finding her blonde vampire. She decided to drop off the group then get back out for another look. He had to be around somewhere.

As they approached the gates of the manor house Buffy was lost in thought, perhaps Willow was right and she should have got Spike’s address, what if he had disappeared again, how would she find him? She’d be so confident that he would be back. The nagging thought refused to leave her head. What if she had taken him for granted that once too often?
Buffy became aware that one of the girls, Gillian wasn’t it, was talking to her.
“What?” She asked, completely oblivious to what the girl had said.
“I was wondering about the…” The teenager was cut off in mid sentence.

“Slayer!” That familiar dark growl made the hairs stand up on Buffy’s neck. She turned towards the sound.

He was leaning lazily against the gatepost calmly smoking a cigarette. With a flick the butt was thrown into the gutter as he stepped out of the shadows. Behind her Buffy was aware of the girls gasping.

“Spike!” She kept her voice devoid of all emotion. Her arms folded in front of her chest.

He strode over towards the group, the arrogant swagger working to the fullest effect. He stopped a few feet in front of her.

“You starting up a meals in hush puppies delivery slayer?” The deep British accent was filled with menace.

“You’d have to get through me first Spike.” She countered.

Spike laughed sending chills of fear down the girl’s spines. “Then dance with me Slayer.”
They began to circle each other. Each watching for the first move, any slight opening.

“Can any of you girls tell me what we have here?” Buffy asked.

One of the girls raised her hand, but quickly realised that her action was not going to be noticed. “A Vampire?” She said nervously.

“A Vampire?” Spike raised an eyebrow, an evil grin plastered across his face. “Just a vampire?”

The girls looked at each other, confused. Buffy’s and Spikes eyes never left each other.

“This is not just any vampire.” Buffy began. “Note the absence of just dug myself out of a grave-iness, the lack of desperation to feed and the… Spike are you wearing aftershave?” Buffy’s brow furrowed as she caught a feint trace in the air.

Spike stopped circling, his head on one side. “Just because a fella is dead doesn’t mean he can’t smell good. Now can we get on with this?”

“What? Yes, of course. Anyway as I was saying, this is what they call a master vampire. He will have sired others, has been around for centuries. He has the speed, the agility, the experience.”

“Not to mention the good looks and cat like grace.” Spike cut in.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Not to mention the modesty that goes with it.”

Spike suddenly sprang at her, pushing Buffy backwards. She leapt to her feet and countered with a kick to the face. Spike ducked and threw a punch connecting with her jaw, with lightening speed Buffy’s own fist barrelled into his face causing him to reel momentarily. She grabbed him by the collar of his duster sending him spiralling across the pavement. Running after him she pounced, missing him completely as he was already on his feet. Her kick knocking his feet out from under him as she caught him this time, straddling him, the stake in her hand.

Buffy was breathless, she wasn’t sure whether it was the fight or the close proximity to him. “You have to watch these ones they can be tricky. He may have even taken a slayer or…”

“I may even take another one.” He whispered hoarsely. The innocence of his statement in complete contrast to the lecherous grin he now wore. Buffy was glad it was dark as she felt herself blush to the roots of her hair.

The girls were standing open mouthed.

“I think we made our point don’t you?” Buffy said to Spike as she helped him to his feet.

“In more ways than one.” He obviously needed to adjust things under the semi privacy of his coat.

This sudden stop in hostilities had the girls even more aghast.

“So he’s not a master vampire?” Gillian, yes Buffy was sure it was Gillian, ventured.

“Oh no I am.”

Gillian looked even more confused. “Then…”

Buffy decided to put them out of their misery. “Spike is a master vampire, he has even killed two slayers…”

Spike looked sideways at Buffy; he wasn’t entirely comfortable with that bit.

“But, he has a soul now, of his own doing, he’s one of the good guys. He’s a… friend.” Even to Buffy’s ears it sounded seriously lame.

She dismissed the bemused girls who ran up the driveway giggling.

“A friend?” Spike was looking at her with those adorable questioning blue eyes.

“Most of them aren’t even sixteen yet. What did you want me to say? This is Spike, he’s a master vampire and we have red hot monkey sex?”

Spike nearly choked. “Red hot…”

Buffy held up her hand. “Don’t even go there.”

Spike grinned, realising that she had embarrassed herself. Taking her hand he said simply. “C’mon. Something I wanna show you.”



In ten minutes they had reached the graveyard. “Haven’t I had enough for one night, with the staking and the fighting?” Buffy whined.

“Not like this.” Spike’s grin was mischievous.

As they rounded the corner, Buffy gasped in amazement. There, set out amongst the graves was a table. It’s crisp white table cloth seemed to glow in the light of the full moon. To the side was a silver ice bucket and completing the scene, a gentle waltz was playing. A very nervous looking green demon hovered next to the table. As they approached he bobbed up and down.

“Mister Spike, did as you asked Mister Spike, no-one comes near nice table Mister Spike, did as you ask.”

Spike watched the demon twitching and eventually sighed unnecessarily. “Good work my little warty friend, you can go now.”

The demon seemed to sag with relief; he was just turning to leave when a firm hand grasped his shoulder. “Right after you’ve returned the bottle of champagne that should be in that there ice bucket.”

The demon resumed its nervous bobbing. “Of course Mister Spike, I was just making sure it was extra chilled, for you Mister Spike.” The bottle was returned and the demon beat a hasty retreat.

“Bloody demons, can’t trust ‘em as far as you can spit!” Spike muttered under his breath.

“Oh Spike, this is wonderful.” Buffy gasped.

Spike was opening the champagne. “I know a graveyard isn’t exactly… but I know you never take a day off and I figured this could be a working lunch, um supper.”

Buffy accepted the offered glass. “Why did he steal it? Do demons even drink champagne?” She asked taking a sip.

“No, but sometimes if it aint nailed down…In certain quarters you can barter with it. I think the going rate is two tabbies and a Siamese.”

Buffy giggled. “I still don’t get the kitten thing.”

“There is only one kitten I am interested in these days.” Buffy found her glass taken out of her hand.

“Hey!” She protested only to be pulled into his arms.

“Dance with me Buffy.”