Author's Chapter Notes:
What can I say? I'm on a roll.
Previously on BtVS: Buffy is living in London at the Slayer Academy. Whilst on a trainee Slayer field trip she comes across Spike in a demon bar. One broken nose and a few snarky comments later, the Vampire finds himself again under the original slayer’s spell, this time without the hocus pocus.

Spike tries to control the demon within. Buffy tracks him down, when he eventually explains to her why he ran, she takes him back to the manor to keep him contained while they work on a solution. Her presence causes the inner Angelus to take control, leaving Buffy to barely escape with her life!

************************************************************************************************************************

Buffy took the stairs two at a time. She raced through the academy, desperate to get to the library. In her haste she nearly knocked Kennedy flying.

“Hey!” The younger slayer shouted at Buffy’s retreating back.

“Don’t mind me will you!” Kennedy muttered, picking up the plate she’d dropped. She took it back to the kitchen, intent on making herself another snack. Eventually her annoyance got the better of her, she resolved to find Buffy and demand her apology.

************************************************************************************************************************

It was a breathless Buffy that finally found Giles and Dawn already pouring over the books. Willow was working at her lap top. All three looked up in surprise at Buffy’s explosive entrance.

“I know what’s gotten hold of Spike! It’s Angelus!” She blurted.

Giles looked over the top of his glasses. “Angelus has taken over Spike? I thought he died in the final battle?”

“How..?” Buffy began, she hadn’t told Giles about Angel. There were evidently some things that the watcher knew but hadn’t been telling.

“Never mind.” Giles was saying, sensing her confusion. “How do you know it’s Angelus?”

“I was sitting with Spike…”

“More clothes ripping?” Willow asked.

Giles gave her a look. “Enough of that!” He turned his head towards Buffy asking. “Clothes ripping?”

Buffy waved it off. “It was trying to get out, Spike was struggling to control it, he pushed me out of the cage just before it came to the surface.”

“And you are sure it was Angelus?” Giles wanted to know.

“I would know him anywhere!”

“Any idea how it could have happened?” asked Willow.

Buffy shook her head. “All I know is right now, Angelus is down there wrapped in Spike packaging.

************************************************************************************************************************

The discussion as to how they could remove Angelus without losing what was left of Spike was in full swing when Kennedy joined them.
“Hey Sweetie!” Willow called. “Pull up a book!”

Kennedy frowned at Buffy. “You nearly knocked me flying, and I think you should at least say sorry!”

All she received for her trouble was a confused look from Buffy. “Um, Ok, sorry. Was in kind of a hurry!”

“Spikes possessed by the spirit of his sire.” Willow filled her in, hoping to take some of the wind out of her lover’s sails.

“Oh I might have known it would be about Spike. We’re right back to Sunnydale aren’t we? As far as Buffy is concerned the world grinds to a halt when there is anything to do with Spike. I don’t know why you don’t just stake him and get it over with!” Kennedy’s eyes flashed with anger.

Buffy rose slowly to her feet, facing the younger girl who glared at her defiantly. “And what do you know about it?”

“I know that every time we have anything to do with Spike, you go completely crazy!”

Buffy’s calm tone dripped with warning. “I would suggest you don’t get onto a subject you know nothing about.”

“I know that he tried to rape you.” Kennedy enjoyed the slight wince her words caused. “Apparently that did it for you enough to make you risk all our lives to save his butt over and over again.”

Buffy wanted to slap the smug look off her face.

Willow stepped between them. “That’s enough sweetie!” She said quietly.

Kennedy turned her fury toward her girlfriend. “You are doing it again! Defending her! I sometimes think there are three people in this relationship and I am the least important!”

Willows face softened. “You know that’s not true. Buffy is my friend.

“Yes and I am your girlfriend apparently that means nothing to you.” Kennedy brushed off Willows hand and with a final glare at Buffy stormed out of the library.

************************************************************************************************************************

There had been little luck with the research. However Angelus had managed to get back it appeared to be unprecedented. The scene with Kennedy was enough to drain what was left of their strngth.

Reluctantly they agreed that there wasn’t much more they could do that night. Perhaps a decent rest would refresh them all for the morning.

Buffy toyed with the idea of returning to the basement to see how Spike was doing. She found him lying on the cot with his hands behind his head.

“Spike?” She said. Deliberately keeping her voice strong and controlled until she found out who she was dealing with.

The cool blue eyes turned to her. He sprang from the cot and moved over to the bars.

Still keeping her distance she asked again. “Spike is that you?”

“It’s me Buffy.” He said softly. He was uncertain what to do. He knew that something had happened, that he had frightened her. “I’m…I’m sorry.” He said.

Spike looked so dejected that she just wanted to take him in her arms and make it all better. She took a step forward.

“Don’t!” He said suddenly in alarm. “It’s not safe!”

“But it’s you Spike, you are safe. It’s Angelus… he is… in you!”

“Angelus! That bastard! You have to kill me Buffy. You can’t let him out again. You have to do it before it is too late!”

She shook her head sadly.

“What do you mean no! You have to, you know that! I can feel it, Buffy. I can feel the evil inside me. If it is Angelus then he is getting stronger and I don’t know how long I can hold him down.”

“I… I can’t. I lost you once and I couldn’t bear it if it happened again.” Her eyes filled with tears. “There has to be another way.”

Reluctantly, she turned and walked back up the stairs.

************************************************************************************************************************

Angelus had mourned when she left. Her presence enough to make him able to take control, if only for a short time.

And the boy had let her escape, pushed her out of his reach. The fool, he would pay for that!

He needed to be close to her and if he wanted permanence then he had to make his childe drink from her, just as Angel had done. Then he would be flesh once more.

************************************************************************************************************************

Kennedy watched Buffy leave the basement. ‘Just can’t stay away from him can she?’

She waited until the older slayer had gone before slipping down the stairs herself. It was about time that the problems Spike caused were solved once and for all, and if it had the added bonus of giving Buffy some pain, then all the better. Kennedy wasn’t about to wait around for disaster to strike.

The lights were dim in the basement. ‘All the better for Spike’s comfort no doubt.’ Kennedy thought bitterly.

She held the stake in her right hand savouring how solid it felt.

The vampire lay on the bed. He seemed oblivious to her presence. She crept closer.

“You may as well put a bloody cowbell around your neck; I could sense you coming as soon as you opened the door!”

Kennedy jumped. Renewing her resolve she moved towards the cage, no longer bothering with stealth.

Angelus stretched. ‘Hello. Buff, she had been here, but not long enough to sustain him. What was this though? Slayer definitely, not the original, not the one tied to his blood but slayer no doubt. The blood bond may not be there, but he could draw on her energy.

“Did you want something or did you just come to gawk at the Vampire?” Spike asked. He still hadn’t bothered to look in her direction.

“You are trouble Spike.”

“Yep that’s me baby, bad to the bone!”

“You’re not bad!” Kennedy spat. “You’re pathetic, running to Buffy every time you have a problem, putting us all in danger!”

Spike sensed the anger in her words. So did Angelus. The childe was concerned, the sire was delighted. This was something he could use.

The blonde vampire felt the demon stirring. Angelus, he could recognise him now, the cruelty and malice was almost a homecoming.

“I would suggest that you run away out of here little girl…” Spike warned getting to his feet.

************************************************************************************************************************

Angelus drew on the essence of the young slayer. The closer she stepped, the more he could feel her. It was nowhere near as intoxicating as being near Buffy, but the link, however tentative was all he needed.

************************************************************************************************************************

His presence reached out to engulf Spike. For a moment they struggled for control, Spike clutching his head.

Kennedy watched impassively. “This was going to be easy.”

She unlocked the gate as Spike staggered backwards, trying to resist the creature ripping into his mind, conjoining with his inner demon, the two making each other stronger.

Kennedy lunged forward the stake aimed towards Spike’s heart. With lightening speed the vampire’s hand shot downwards, grabbing her wrist and wrenching it behind her back, turning her away from him. She winced in pain as she felt the bones grind together under his grip.

His mouth was close to her ear. “That wasn’t very nice Princess now was it?” The words dripped malice and pure evil, sending shivers of fear down her back. “Now what shall I do with you?” He ran his tongue along Kennedy’s exposed neck, causing her to struggle against him. This only increased the pressure on her wrist and she soon understood that escape was futile.

“Let me go!” She managed, biting her lip against the pain.

“Oooh let me think?” Angelus replied. “Ok thought about it… No!”

He could feel her heart beating fast. Her terror music was to his ears. “Did you honestly think you could do it? Thought you could just walk in her and stick a stake in my heart? You don’t have what it takes!” He sneered.

“Are… are you going to kill me?”

“It’s a tempting offer Princess, but I don’t think so. Not just yet anyway. I do however need you to be quiet. I have a little visit I need to make.”

He brought the heel of his hand down upon the base of her neck causing her to lose consciousness.

“I just didn’t want to ruin my appetite.” He explained, stepping over the prone figure on the floor he started up the stairs following Buffy’s scent towards the room where she was sleeping.