Author's Chapter Notes:
Leave a review please!!
Tell me did you see her face?
Tell me did you smell her taste?
Tell me what's the difference
don't they all just look the same inside?

‘Buddha for Mary’
30 Seconds to Mars

As we entered the hospital room, I could tell something was off. I closed my eyes and stretched out my Slayer senses. I had really tuned into them once we left the Hellmouth. It had taken a lot of meditation. I felt something similar and familiar in the motionless form on the hospital bed. My eyes flew open and my mouth formed an “o” of surprise. I grabbed my cell phone from my pocket as I moved to Cordy’s bedside. I dialed a number I knew by heart. A grating voice answered.

“Kennedy, put Willow on now.” I let my tone tell her that I was in no mood for her usual bitchy banter. I waited a few moments and was rewarded for my patience with the soft tones of my friend’s voice.

“Buffy? Is something wrong?” she asked quietly.

“Wills, you’ve gotten the teleportation thing down now, right?” I asked quickly. I glanced at Fred and Wesley, who were barely inside the door. They were staring at me with complete confusion.

“Yeah, I don’t even get the nosebleeds anymore,” Willow answered me excitedly.

I was relieved. That made our task much easier. “Great. I have a favor to ask of you. I need you to teleport to Cleveland and get the scythe from Faith and then I need you to use me as a focus and get to this hospital.” I looked at Wes when I spoke my next line. “I have a Slayer here we need to heal.” Wesley’s eyes got as big as saucers and he turned them to regard the girl in the bed.

“I understand,” Willow said resolvedly. “I’ll be there in a few minutes with an appropriate healing spell.” She hung up and I turned to my new friends, smiling timidly.

“I guess when we did that spell to give all the girls their power, she was already in a coma. But it’s going to be okay. Willow and I can draw on the Slayer essence housed in the scythe to heal her. We did it to heal everyone after the battle at the Hellmouth. When she’s ready, I guess you and I can begin to train her.” My finishing remark was for Wesley. I wanted him to feel like he was part of my team, the way I had never allowed him to be back in Sunnydale.

Fred sat down in the chair by Cordelia’s bedside. She grasped her hand with both of hers. She looked so worried about her friend. I barely heard her when she whispered, “Angel.”

“What about him,” I asked.

“Shouldn’t we let him know? I mean, they were really obviously falling in love before all this happened and I know he’s want to know if something could be done for her. Or should we wait to see if it works first?” Fred asked.

She looked at me sheepishly and it took me a moment to realize that I should, or could rather, be angry with Angel. He was upset that I loved someone else when he had very obviously moved on. With Cordelia of all people. Hypocrite. But I wasn’t mad. I just hoped they could find some happiness. But not TOO much happiness. I didn’t want to have to stake Angel/Angelus, but I would if that time came.

There was a loud POP next to me. I knew immediately that Willow, my dear and first friend from Sunnydale, had arrived. She held the scythe and a bag full of blue candles away from her body and I pulled her into a tight hug. I hadn’t seen her since she left for Brazil. She pulled away from the embrace and looked me up and down.

“Wow, Buffy, you…uh…look nice,” Willow stammered.

I laughed. I mean, come on. I knew I wasn’t exactly the sun kissed California girl I was when I had left for London. I was all right with that. No denial here. “Yeah, I’m lookin’ pretty haggard. I know it. It’s ok to say it. I looked even worse last week.” I remembered the task at hand. “You ready to do this?”

“Sure,” she chirped and turned to the bed, noticing the occupant for the first time. “Cordelia?” She whipped around to face me. “Cordelia is a Slayer?”

“Explains a lot, doesn’t it?” I grinned.

She turned to look at the woman in the bed. She looked contemplative. “You know, it really does.” She moved to the side of the bed while I moved across her to the other. She laid the scythe across Cordy’s lap and we each placed one of her hands on it. Willow handed each of us a blue candle and bade Fred and Wesley stand at the end of the bed. I pulled out my Zippo and lit my candle. Then I passed it to Wesley to do the same. When all the flames were lit, Willow and I both touched Cordelia’s temples, one on each side. We all closed our eyes as Willow and I began to chant.

“Magick mend and candle burn
Sickness end, good health return
Elements of power
Heal her now in this desperate hour
So mote it be.”

We repeated it three times and the opened our eyes. At first, I thought it hadn’t worked and maybe I had been wrong about Cordy being a Slayer. Maybe she was just a regular stubborn girl in a coma, not a supernatural girl in a coma. Maybe my senses weren’t as great and honed as I thought. Just when I was about to give up and tell them I must have been mistaken, I heard a moan from the bed. My eyes met surprised filled brown ones.

“Buffy?” her eyes flew to meet the redhead’s across from me. “Willow? Am I in Sunnydale?”

I blew out my candle and grabbed her hand. I glanced at Fred. “Call Angel,” I whispered. I turned back to the confused brunette in the hospital bed as she sat up. “Cordy, you’re in a hospital in L.A. You’ve been in a coma for a few months. I was here…uh...visiting and I came to see you after they told me you were here. When I felt you with my Slayer senses, they told me you weren’t just Cordy, but also a potential soon to be in training Slayer. Like me. Like Faith.”

She sat up a little straighter. “I’m a Slayer now too? I mean, first I’m a regular human, then I have visions, then I’m part demon, then I’m a higher being, then I come back with a higher power hijacking my mind and body so that it can give birth to itself and now I’m a Slayer?”

I admittedly didn’t understand most of what she said. “Well, the human part of you is. There isn’t just one…well two...anymore. Willow did a spell and now all the girls who might have been Slayers had Faith or I died, are. It’s up to you what to do. You can go back to your normal life and just have abnormal strength. You can go to London where Giles and I have set up the new Watchers Council and you can be trained there with the rest of the SITs…Slayers in training. There are dozens. Or, while I’m in town, I can train you, and provided Wesley accepts my offer to be reinstated as a Watcher, he could act as yours and you can stay here. It’s up to you.”

“Actually, Buffy, I wanted to tell you, I will be taking you up on your offer,” Wesley interjected. I smiled at him. It was nice that the Council, me really, would have an ally in Wolfram and Hart.

“I’ll take care of it then,” I assured him.

I looked back at Cordelia. She was staring at me thoughtfully. At that moment, Angel came bursting into the room, showing more emotion than I had ever seen from him. “Cordelia!” He ran to her and enveloped her in his arms. He held onto her and didn’t let her go. Willow and I watched them with mild interest.

“Do you remember everything?” Angel asked quietly as he pulled away from her.

“Last year?” Cordy asked as she swung her feet to the floor. “Yeah, I remember everything. Pretty much, at least, until I slipped into slumberland. Maternal instincts aside, I hope you kicked its ass for me.”
Angel looked startled and looked quickly at Wesley and Fred. I followed his gaze. They had made no reaction to show that they had even heard what Cordy had said. I looked at Willow, who seemed just as confused as I. I couldn’t wait to get a hold of Wesley’s journals. Perhaps then everything would make sense.
Angel looked longingly at the door. “Yeah…so…wanna get out of here?”

“Oh, I love that plan. I hope you brought me some clothes because…” she looked down at her hospital gown and shook her head, “damn.”

Angel looked panicked. “Oh…well…uh…we…”

Wesley jumped in to rescue him. “We could stop and buy some.”

Cordy jumped up and down, clapping and squealing. “Oh, great! Shopping!” She moved to the door with Angel, Wesley, and Fred in tow. “I love that idea, ‘cause, you know, I’m so not ready to go back to the hotel yet.” She walked out the door.