Author's Chapter Notes:
hey, mabe if you leave a review, i can break fifty! that would be cool...
Fred stood and excused herself when a strange man named Knox said she was needed in the lab.

Something about the guy was giving me the wiggins. I looked at Spike to see if he too had a reaction to the creepy geek. He lit a cigarette and looked at me. “What?” he asked. Guess he hadn’t noticed it. It was probably just me being paranoid. But hey, to quote Harry Dresden, just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean there isn’t an invisible demon about to eat your face. He handed me the smoke and then lit another one for himself, much as I had before he had had lighter worthy motor skills this morning. “Care to go for a walk, luv?” He stood and held a hand out to me.

I stood but didn’t relinquish my hold on his hand. We walked together down the stairs, sidestepping around Willow and Oz at the bottom. I fished my room key from my back pocket and handed it to the seated couple. I winked at Oz. “Just in case you want some privacy to talk. There’s a nice living room area, you can order up some room service on the Council’s dime, get some time alone away from all the lawyers and whatnot.”

Oz smiled gratefully. “Thanks Buffy. Hey…will you dye my hair for me later? That’s what I came to ask.”

This had become a bimonthly tradition. “Of course. What color are we going for this time?”

He grinned at me. “Blue, and then we can bleach the tips white, kinda like Spike’s.”

“God, you really have it in for your parents, don’t you. You dig the shock factor, eh?” I jibed.

“Do I?” He smiled. I handed them the scythe and asked them to take it back to the room with them then we took our leave of them.

Spike and I started wandering off down the halls. The place was like a maze. We walked in companionable silence, his thumb casually rubbing across my knuckles. I almost didn’t hear him; I was so consumed by the irony of walking around a law firm with Spike, holding hands. “Are we moving too fast, pet?” He asked me.

I took a long drag of my smoke and tossed the butt to the floor, crushing it under my heel as we walked past it. “No. I’m not sure how you feel, but for me, I feel like I’ve wasted so much time. There were so many chances to tell you how I felt, and I was so stupid not to do it, not to just tell you, my friend’s opinions be damned. I don’t want to waste anymore time on this earth by waiting around…” I was exasperated. I didn’t know how to explain exactly what I meant. “I just want to spend the rest of my life, whether I die now or never, with you. I love you, Spike.”

He pulled me to a stop and stepped in front of me. Placing his hands on my shoulders, he said, “Do you really mean that, kitten?” I nodded so he continued. “It’s all I ever wanted.” He leaned down and kisses me softly on the lips. “I love you, Slayer.”

I smiled at him. “Thanks, Fang Face.”

He laced his fingers back through mine and we continued our exploration of the building. He showed me the ancient prophecies wing, the science division, the dungeons, the records room, and all the other rooms he found when he was all ghostly. He had never let go of my hand. It was perfect. We were on our way back to the lobby when we rounded a corner and I saw a very familiar person.

“Cordy!” I waved at her. She was at the other end of the hall.

“Buffy, and…Spike?” She smiled at him and started towards us.

“Well, well. I heard you weren’t evil anymore, which kind of makes the hair silly.” She smirked at him.

He dropped my hand and shifted to game face. He lengthened his stride as she started backing away.
“Uh…or nice?” He reached out and grabbed her, backing into the wall.

She screamed as he bit into her neck.

“Spike!” I yelled. He pulled away and looked confusedly at her when a black blur sped past me.

Angel tackled Spike and they both crashed to the ground. The brunette was back on his feet immediately, snarling at my lover. As soon as Spike was on his feet, Angel punched him. I ran to Cordy and pulled her hand away from the wound on her neck. Two tiny pinpricks that were already done bleeding.

Spike kicked Angel in the chest and put him in the in a headlock. “You took me on and lost, remember, old man?” Well, that was news. Sounded like a story I should ask Spike about a little later.

Angel broke his grip, and threw Spike to the ground. “Touch Cordelia again…get ready for our very last rematch.”

Spike got to his feet. “She’s evil, you gourmless tit.”

Cordelia, still holding her neck, exclaimed indignantly, “Excuse me? Who bit whom?”

“Did you just call me a tit?”

Shaking my head, I leaned against the wall and lit another cigarette. If they were all going to argue, I was going to relax. I wasn’t sure why Spike had bitten Cordelia, but I trusted him and I knew he would have a reason. He was a good man. People were no longer Happy Meals with legs.

Cordy was talking. “I thought he had a soul!”

Spike pointed at Cordelia and addressed Angel. “I thought she didn’t.”

“I do,” Cordelia exclaimed.

“So do I.”

She sneered. “Well, clearly mine’s better.”

I pulled the stake from the waistband of my pants. As I twirled it between my fingers, I wondered if I would need it. Of course, if Angel attacked Spike, I was sure Spike would win, but if it came down to it, I would have no real problem staking Angel. I smiled to myself. It was rather liberating.

Spike took a step toward Cordelia. “Look…” he began when Angel grabbed him by the lapels of his jacket and threw him against the wall across from me.
“If I see fangs, I’m gonna play dentist,” he growled.

“Not before bury this stake in your chest, Peaches,” I muttered. Seeing his spine straighten, I knew he had heard me.

Cordelia continued on, and I was sure she had no idea of the small exchange that had taken place. “And you called this guy the big hero?”

Spikes looked at Cordelia and then back to Angel in awe. “You called me a hero?” He cocked his head to the side.

“I didn’t know you were eating people again,” Angel sneered.

I caught sight of a woman watching us at the end of the hall. She was excitedly talking on her cell phone. I tipped my head so I could see her around Cordy. It didn’t look like she knew I was watching her.

Spike head butted Angel, sending them reeling to opposite sides of the hall, both holding their foreheads in pain. “Ow!” Spike cried out. “God, it was just a taste test, you git.” Cordelia stared at him, mouth agape. “I needed to know if what my source said is true.” He looked over at Cordelia. “And…actually…well, you don’t taste evil. Demons are more…astringent with a sort of oakie, really…”

Angel interrupted him. “What source?”

“I got a guy,” Spike shrugged. “Has an in with the Powers that whatsit. Gets these visions.”

Cordelia and Angel looked at each other. “Visions?” Angel questioned.

“Yeah. When I was clearing out the flat and taking all my stuff to the Slayer’s hotel room, the guy came in and said Cordelia was taken over by some big bad. Came to destroy you all.”

Cordy rolled her eyes. “His vision is a rerun.”

“The thing that possessed Cordy’s long dead, Spike,” Angel sighed.

Spike shrugged. “Well, it looks like tattoo boy was wrong this time.”

Cordelia froze and raised her eyebrows. “Wait,
tattoos? What kind of tattoos?”

“I don’t know. Symbols. Tribal-like.”

Angel regarded Spike carefully. “This guy with the visions, did he have a name?” he asked.

“Called himself Doyle.”