Author's Chapter Notes:
What's this? Devin's updating twice in one day? Yup, you're not seeing things, this is a brand new chapter. I repeat: this is a brand new chapter.

Okay, so I'm in a good mood. Sue me.

Or don't 'cause I have to put my kids through college ;P

Oh and, Dr. Montgomery? The hottie redhead doctor? She’s not mine (as much as I wish it). I borrowed her from Grey’s Anatomy because I couldn’t find a Buffyverse character to fit the part, so okay… that said, I’m going to bugger off, and leave you to the chapter. Enjoy! :D
Spike sat in his office, the papers of his latest case spread all around his desk, but his mind was somewhere else. Or better said on someone else.

His growing... feelings for Buffy were... well, he wouldn't say unexpected.

You can't live with a beautiful woman whom you had been attracted to since the first night you met her, and lately, shared a space on his... her... their bed and not develop feelings.

So, feelings were there. Definitely. He guessed it just surprised him how fast they had come to be.

He wanted her. Of course he wanted her. He perved over her in private - hand wrapped around his cock, images of her spread out on their bed for him to take flooding his mind - and in front of her - leering at her until her cheeks coloured a nice rosy pink - just because of what her blush did to his libido.

He also knew he wanted, felt the need, to protect her. From everyone.

He guessed that included himself.

Spike was still trying to wrap his mind around the fact that no one yet knew that he was married and that Buffy was his wife.

Why he hadn't told anyone, besides Gunn - though he suspected, wouldn't of known even now, if the younger man hadn't shown up as his flat - that he was married and that he was going to be a father soon was what seemed to be bothering him.

Wasn't that why he had asked Buffy to move in with him? Wasn't that the whole purpose to this arrangement? For her to help him get ahead on his career?

Then why was he so hesitant to let it be known? Why was he so hesitant to use her?

He paused in his thoughts, sitting straighter in his chair, the reason of his hesitation made clear to him, as guilt washed over his being.

He didn't want to use her.

Sure, he had convinced himself, believed it still, that he was helping Buffy. She needed him, they needed him, Buffy and his child. It just felt wrong, on so many levels, to basically be taking advantage of a scared girl that had come to him in all honesty to do the right thing and hopefully, even though she never asked, to get his support.

As much as he wanted to continue with their agreement, an accord she had agreed to, he couldn't in good conscious, use her, or justify his selfish actions.

Spike knew he would be there for her, he was resolute in that. He would offer her his home, his support and himself willingly. He'd treat her as respectfully as any wife should be treated, he would be her devoted husband, but he wouldn't use her.

He couldn't.

His feelings of guilt, for the time pacified, Spike picked up a stack of papers from his desk and began to read the words printed on the pages once again, this time successfully being able to concentrate on his work.






Buffy was sitting on one of the wooden, padded, green chairs of the waiting room of the doctor's office, drinking the bottle of water that was required for her sonogram, waiting for her name to be called.

Today was her first official doctor's visit since the first time she had went to the clinic to confirm her pregnancy back in Sunnydale after Joyce's passing.

She was lucky that William had not insisted on coming with her after her initial refusal. Despite his constant flirting and, as of late, the sharing of space on his bed with her, he still seemed reluctant to push or cross any boundaries with her. Which she was thankful for.

As much as she knew she was using him, and he, her, and as attracted as they both were to each other, the thought, just the mere thought of taking their play acting to the point of letting their agreement become an actual marriage, benefits and all, scared her.

"Buffy Summers?" A strong but gentle voice broke her from her thoughts and Buffy looked up into the kind brown eyes of the nurse standing in the doorway, holding a clipboard.

Standing up, and gathering her purse and the light sweater she had brought with her, she made her way towards the young girl and followed her out of the waiting room and through a side hall before they stepped into one of the rooms.




Buffy sat atop the medical examining chair after quickly having changed into the hospital gown that had been provided to her. The nurse had left her, after checking her blood pressure, blood sugar levels and her weight, to wait for the doctor that would see her through her pregnancy.

She took in her surroundings wishing the small window, placed high on one of the walls was lower so she could have something, other than the boring medical instruments in the room, to look at.

Buffy smiled as an attractive redheaded woman stepped into the room.

"Buffy Summers?" She asked looking at her clipboard.

"That's me." Buffy answered and they both breathed out a laugh.

"Interesting name," the doctor commented.

Buffy smiled, "thank you."

"I am Dr. Montgomery." She smiled. "Tell me, is there a specific reason for your visit today?"

"Just a check up, I guess."

"Is this your first doctor's visit since the pregnancy?"

"No. Second. I uh... had one in Sunnydale before I moved to L.A."

"Right." Dr. Montgomery said writing some things in the clipboard before setting it aside and standing up. "Lay down for me, please?" She asked making her way towards Buffy as the blonde did as she was asked.

Lifting the hospital gown, exposing her boy-short style panties and her toned, tanned stomach, the redhead placed her hands upon Buffy's abdomen.

"Do you know how far along you are, Buffy?"

"A month and a half? Two months?"

"Okay..." Taking her stethoscope, the green eyed doctor placed it on Buffy's abdomen as well, listening for the baby's heartbeat. Putting the stethoscope back around her neck, she crossed the room and wheeled the sonogram machine towards the examining table where Buffy laid.

Picking up a bottle, Dr. Montgomery warned Buffy of the coldness of the water soluble gel before turning the bottle and letting a few globs gather. Turning on the sonogram machine, she picked up the scan head probe and placed it on Buffy's tummy, spreading the gel.

Buffy watched as the screen of the monitor was filled with a black and white picture.

She watched, entranced, as the doctor pointed out the baby's head, arms, legs, and heart before asking if she would like a print out.

Buffy nodded numbly, feeling awed and in shock, staying that way for the rest of the visit.




Walking out of the building, the print out picture of her baby held safely in her hands, Buffy took in her surroundings.

The sun was shinning brightly in the cloudless sky, a rare thing for smog filled LA, the sounds of traffic were low and far away. It was a perfect day all around, it almost seemed like a haven, and all she could feel was the pain in her chest and the tears in her eyes.

'William,' she thought. 'I need to go see William. He'll make... he'll make it better. Make the pain go away.'

A sure stride to her steps, she started her journey to William's office. The irony of the one person that was causing her to be filled of guilt, be the only one who was able to make her forget it, never entering her thoughts.