Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't know much about L.A. so don't hate me if I get something wrong, lol...
He had taken to driving through the suburbs of LA ever since Buffy's doctor visit a fortnight before. He had been imagining what life in a neighbourhood like this - houses filled with families, kids playing around in their yards and in the peaceful streets - would be like. He knew with the arrival of their child, they just couldn't stay in his flat anymore. It was too small, with only one bedroom, and even though they could probably make it work - moving his working space to the living room and use the other half of the room for the baby - he wanted something bigger, something better, for them.

The thing was a bachelor pad anyways, not suitable for families and that's exactly what him and Buffy were slowly, but surely, becoming.

A family.

He had started to feel that they were the moment their lips had touched, for the first time again, while fully sober, all those months ago.

They had agreed to date, in a serious sense, and had been doing so for the past four months. Longer still if you counted those few weeks when she had moved in with him and they had started to get to know each other. Since then, they had shared a hundred kisses, and sleeping spaces. Fears, and friends - hers coming down from Sunnydale to visit them every other weekend - and lately, declarations of love.

Driving by the russet roof, white, two story, English style house, he knew this just was the next logical step.

Slowing down his black Mercedes-Benz, he checked the rear-view mirror and the side ones before making a U-turn back and drove his car into the driveway of the house. He put the car on park and opened up his briefcase to look for a pen. Jotting the number down quickly he placed it in the inside pocket of his suit jacket, patting it to make sure the paper was settled, before returning the pen back to his briefcase and, pulling out of the driveway, he made his journey to a coffee shop intent on calling the number to ask for a showing before making his way to work.

He spent the rest of the morning, after the call, in quiet contemplation.






Lilah Morgan was waiting for him in his office by the time he got to work.

"You're late." She said as way of greeting, and he couldn't read if her smile was out of amusement or at finding a reason to yell at him.

A glance at the clock behind him - even though he knew the time - then, "seems like I am."

"Is this a first for William Pratt?" She asked half jokingly, getting up off his office chair and coming to sit at a corner of his desk.

"Hardly, ducks," he snorted. "I'm sure I've been late before." He made his way to his desk avoiding passing by the corner in which she had seated herself at.

Lilah sighed out a laugh, "is there any special reason why?" She inquired, turning so she could look at what he was doing without having to get up or look over her shoulder.

Spike placed his briefcase on his desk opening it up to take out the case file Gunn and he were currently working on, intending to go find the younger man as soon as Lilah was finished... doing whatever it was she was in his office for.

"Had to make a call," he answered. Tersely.

The brunette pushed herself further onto his desk so her legs were dangling, then slowly brought one leg up, brushing it against the other, and crossed it. Exposing her pale, bare thigh.

Spike didn't bat an eye.

"Must have been an important call."

"Guess it was."

Lilah slightly narrowed her eyes hopping off the desk. "Going to tell me to who? I mean... if it was something, hmm," she smiled, "...work related, don't you think we should know about it?" She placed her hands on his desk, leaning on them, the fabric of her blouse stretching and moulding against her upper body, offering him a nice view of her breasts, if he cared for a look.

Spike pursed his lips and let the file he was holding drop to his desk. He looked up the ceiling, jaw twitching and sighing once before meeting her gaze. Blue eyes never shifting from hers.

"It was to a realtor." He stated matter of factly. "We're buying a house."

Lilah straightened, understanding dawning on her, and showing itself on her features. She fixed her light brown suit jacket.

"You really do love her, don't you?" She questioned after a moment of silence.

Spike didn't even have to think about it. Not anymore.

"I do," he stated with perfect clarity.

Lilah scratched the back of her ear with one hand, thinking, before slightly nodding her head in acceptance.

"The senior partners wish to speak to you." She finally said after a long moment of silence.

Spike straightened, suddenly self conscious. "Yeah? Do you know... what about?"

"Yes," she turned to make her way towards the door. "A promotion." She told him over her shoulder as she reached it. Hand on the doorknob she turned to look at him, and he quickly wiped off the goofy grin that had formed on his face at her words.

She looked at him, thoughtful for a moment, before speaking.

"Spike?" She paused and he waited patiently for her to continue. "Was she the reason you--"

"No." He interrupted her question.

"So if she had never walked into your life, you and I...?" She trailed off.

Spike shrugged, apologetic. "You're just not--" He stopped, contemplating. "We still wouldn't have dated or... gotten together, Lilah. I'm not the kind of man that could make or keep you happy, and... you're not the kind of girl I need."

"But she is?" It was a statement more than a question but he answered her anyways.

"She is."

She gave him a sad half smile and walked out of his office, reminding him that he had a meeting with the senior partners at the end of the week as she did.



*****


A/N: I don't know where this chapter came from. I was laying down in bed, trying to fall asleep at three in the morning, when the need to write just happened and you guys know how it goes, the muse gets what she wants and this is what came of it. Hope it made as much sense to you as it did to me at the time I was writing it, lol..

.