Author's Chapter Notes:
As promised, here's a little in between chapter, an interlude, to finish up the first part and move on to the actual plot of this fic. I'm gonna take a little break from writing, just to figure out where I want this fic to go and how to get it there. It won't be long, a week at most, hopefully not longer.

This chapter/interlude is the set up for the rest of the fic and, so I leave you to it :)

Enjoy and don't forget to review :P
Spike rested his head against the back of his plane seat and closed his eyes trying to keep the smile off his face and look utterly annoyed.

Angel and Cordy had been laughing at him non-stop since he'd told them of his drunken joke of a Vegas wedding with a girl he'd just met.

"Only you, man." Angel told Spike as he plucked the Polaroid picture of the 'happy couple' from his friend's grasp and showed it to his wife. "Something like that could only happen to you."

"Shut up." Spike grumbled and snatched the picture back, laughing softly himself.








The first thing they saw as they walked into the house was the disheveled form of Rupert Giles. He was sitting on the couch, head in his hands, and looking completely heartbroken.

"Giles, Goddess, what happened?" Tara asked, dropping her bags by the door and falling to her knees in front of her mother's boyfriend.

"Oh, Tara. I'm sorry, dear, I didn't hear you girls come in." He attempted a smile and failed miserably. He stood, Tara rising to stand up with him. "It's Joyce," he said sadly, as Buffy walked further into the living room. "She's in the hospital."








Spike stood in front of the built in dresser in his walk-in closet, top drawer open, and slipped the gold band off his left ring finger, and held it in the palm of his right hand.

'I should really think about getting an annulment,' he thought, 'or no, not an annulment since we…' He smirked.

'Divorce, though...?' He really didn't want to deal with all the paperwork and come up with a good enough excuse for the judge to grant it. Knowing the judges he did, they'd probably laugh at him, if he went with the truth, and tell him to deal.

Being drunk while in Vegas, does not a good excuse make.’

No, he'd rather her make the first move, if she wanted to divorce him, then she could deal with all that. It's not like being married hurt him in any way.

'Till then...'

He took out the small box from the far corner of the drawer, where he kept his grandmother's jewellery and dropped the gold band inside.

Taking the folded certificate, Polaroid tucked firmly inside, he place them back into the far corner, placed the jewellery box atop and closed the drawer.

Slipping out of his shirt and pants, he walked into the bathroom and into his shower.

'...out of sight, out of mind.'









Alone.

Walking through the empty streets of Sunnydale at three in the morning, Buffy finally realized the truth. She was genuinely alone.

The sale of the gallery and house had finally come through, and in a fortnight's time, Tara, the only person she could call family, now that Joyce was gone, was moving. Packing her stuff and relocating to Chicago to start a family of her own with her fiancé.

And she'd be left here.

Alone.

No. She couldn't let that happen.

Buffy stopped suddenly as the feel of the smooth finish of the gold band, hanging from a chain on her slender neck, brushed against the swell of her breast.

Taking it out and staring as it glimmered under the street light she realized what she had to do.









"Hey Spike, did you hear?" Charles Gunn asked in greeting as he walked into his friend's office, closing the door behind him.

"Hear...?" Eyebrow raised.

"The rumours, man."

"Rumours?" Spike stifled a yawn.

"Yeah blondie, someone's getting promoted. Rumour has it the senior partners are looking at you."

Spike's eyes widened and he stood up, all traces of tiredness gone. He walked from behind his desk and approached his friend.

"You're shitting me."

"Shit you not," Gunn grinned, "Lilah said it's between you and Lindsey and the way he's been slacking off, they'd be crazy to pick him over you."









Buffy took one last longing look around the house where she spent most of her teenage years.

The walls were bare, Tara having packed mostly everything in the weeks before, but it did nothing to diminish the memories lingering in her mind.

With a sad smile she picked up the duffle bag at her feet, her belongings tucked neatly inside, and, opening the door, walked outside into the sunshine.



"You sure about this, B?" Faith Lehane asked her friend as they stood outside the bus station, watching the other people board the bus to L.A.

Buffy nodded her head in response and hugged the brunette.

"If there's anything that you need..." Faith left the sentence open in offering.

"I know." Buffy smiled, picked up her bag, and with a small wave, boarded the bus.









Spike sat at the bar of a local L.A. night club contemplating the amber liquid of his drink.

Charles had been wrong and he'd been, once again, passed up for a promotion, for a bigger chance to make partner.

A hand on his shoulder brought him out of his thoughts, his gaze drifting to the broad man taking a seat next to him.

He nodded his head in greeting and brought the glass to his lips, taking a drink.

"I don't get it, Liam." He spoke, voice rough, "I do the work, give it me all, you know? I've rarely lost a case, and yet..." He trailed off shaking his head. He took one last mouthful of his drink and ordered another one.

"I'll have the same." Angel told the bartender when he approached. "It's not that, William, and you know it." Angel said, nodding a thanks to the bartender as he placed their drinks in front of them." Lindsey... he's a family man..."

"Like you are." Spike murmured.

"Like I am," Angel agreed. "And the senior partners," he paused contemplating. "They want that, they need that. They need to know that you're loyal, committed--"

"And I am." William interrupted.

"Aye, but you've no proof of that. They didn't become the biggest, most powerful, law firm in existence by trusting word alone, William, and that's all they have from you right now. Your word."

"So what you're saying is that, I have to get a family?"

"No," Angel shook his head, "just saying don't expect anything big till you do."