Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for the reviews. I really look forward to reading what you guys think.
..."where are you staying now?" He asked, inquisitively.

"At a hotel."

She looked so small and sad and lost at that moment that he spoke the words before he could really think them out.

"Why don't you stay with me?"



*******




"W-what?" Buffy stared at him completely shocked.

She had not been expecting this when she had decided to walk into his office that day. Well, to be honest, she wasn't exactly sure what she had expected. At the most maybe an offer of friendship or maybe even to share any baby related costs, but this? She definitely hadn't been expecting this.






The more Spike thought about it, the more appealing his sudden idea became.

This could really work out and, well, his simple solution could surely help more than hurt.

'If Buffy moved in with him...'

If Buffy moved in with him it would solve her dilemma of finding a decent place to live and, with a baby on the way, it would help to keep the pressure off of having to worry about quickly finding a job to pay for rent... 'or other costs.'

If she moved in with him, she wouldn't have to sell her valuables and... if she moved in with him, well, it would help him out also.

He smirked.

Bloody hell, the family he had been in need of, needed still, for his career to really take off had just landed in his lap... he'd be a complete fool to not open the door to opportunity and welcome her in.

Fuck, they were already married, had a lil' bit on the way, what more could the senior partners ask for? Surely all he would have to do now is just sit back and wait for the promotions to start rolling in.

He smiled softly to himself, liking his idea just that much more.

"Why don't you stay with me?" He asked again, this time with a bit more sincerity after having considered it out some. When she looked like she was about to protest he softly slid down to crouch in front of her sitting form. "Listen to me for a mo," he pleaded. "I think we can really help each other out."

Buffy's brow furrowed, 'how?' She thought. "How?" Spoken.

"Well," he paused, eyes darting around the ground as he searched for the right words. Buffy looked at him expectantly and more than a bit warily.

"Well," he started again, his eyes drifting back to her face. "From what you've told me, love... uh, you don't really have a place to go, or a job, have just a bit of money, you do, a-and..." His gaze drifted to her abdomen and his lips twitched. 'I'm gonna be a dad.' "A little one on the way. And well," he looked back at her face. "I'm in need of a family." He smirked kind of sheepishly.

"In need...?" She trailed off questionably. Confused.

"Yeah," he chuckled humourlessly and stood up to pace in front of the couch she was sitting at. "In need of a family. See," He stopped and looked at her. "Well, it's a bit complicated, love, but well, it'd really help out my career if I were to be a... a family man, have a family. If I had a wife... and kids," he took a deep breath before continuing, "and seeing as how--"

"We're already married?" She interrupted, looking up at him.

"Yeah, and--"

"I'm pregnant?" She interrupted again and William nodded. "I see." She said slowly and looked away, feeling oddly disenchanted and more than a bit hurt, even as her mind and heart told her she had no reason or right to be.

Seeing this, Spike walked quickly back to her side.

"Buffy, love..." He crouched back in front of her and took her hand in both of his. He inspected it, turning it over, running his fingertips over her slender fingers and over the pulse point at her wrist, trying to find the right words.

"I don't... I mean... it's not...." He stopped and sighed carefully considering his next words. "I wanna do right by you, yeah?" He said earnestly. "Gonna be there for you and the bitty us, no matter what, even if you tell me to shove off, or that I’ve gone completely round the twist and that you don't wanna move in with me. But... think about it, pet." He paused and took a deep breath.

"I'm gonna be here. That's..." he shook his head. "I’m not the kind of man to turn his back on blood, on his kith and kin, and... but..." He blinked. "Love, you're gonna be the mother of my child, and I'm here. I am. Always. But with my work and- recent events, well, I could really-- I need you, and, you don't exactly need me but, well," he scratched his forehead with his thumb. "It's a right nice opportunity for us both, yeah?"

Spike waited a bit, letting his words, as jumbled as they were, sink in.

Buffy had sat quietly through out his entire speech, taking everything in. 'He's not entirely crazy,' she thought. 'And even if he is, it's not like he's alone. I'm just as crazy for seeking him out, just as guilty for wanting to use him. At least this way it's not so bad, he'd be using me too-- What are you doing?!? Are you seriously considering his offer? Are you seriously thinking of going through with this?'

Her eyes, which had wandered to their still holding hands as she thought, snapped back to his when he spoke.

"So what do you think, pet?" His voice interrupted her thoughts. "Want to stay with me- uh, move in with me and uh..." He looked up into her eyes and smiled shyly. Hopefully. "Be my wife?"


*****


A/N: This was a really hard chapter for me to write, I struggled with it a lot 'cause even though I know where I want to take them, I wasn't sure of how to get them there and then I wasn't sure if I was moving too fast with him asking on their first day back together, first day seeing each other again, if she wanted to move in with him. I would appreciate it a lot if you let me know what you think and if you’re still with me on this :)
And I know, nothing really gets resolved yet, but Buffy will give him her answer next chapter. I promise.

-Devin