Chapter Seven

When Buffy awoke, well after the sun had risen, she stretched and yawned before opening her eyes. Once again, there was a strong arm around her waist, holding her against a cool body. This time, instead of bolting upright in a panic, she wriggled backwards into Spike’s embrace.

The feel of his blunt teeth nipping at her shoulder, and his soft lips kissing the back of her neck, told her he was awake now too. She noticed that they were now covered with sheets and blankets, and that the drapes over the windows were carefully pulled, so she knew he had been up at some point after she fell asleep.

“You’re awake?” she asked as she turned to face him. “How come you’re up so early?”

“Haven’t been to sleep yet, pet,” he answered, hoping she wouldn’t ask any more about it.

(Pretty sure she doesn’t want to hear that I’ve just been lying here watchin’ her sleep and wishin’ the day would never end.)

She looked at him, her eyes still soft with sleep, but she didn’t pursue it.

(Maybe he just wanted to make sure the curtains were pulled before he went to sleep.)

Buffy peered over his shoulder to look at the clock, giving him a chance to nibble on the front of her neck and suck on the soft skin of her throat. In spite of the soreness she felt in her crotch area, the touch of his lips was enough to start moisture seeping out. She felt him smile against her neck and knew he could tell what he was doing to her.

The clock said it was only 11:00 AM, and with no place in particular to go, she snuggled back into him and rested her head on his chest.

“I don’t really have to get up yet,” she mumbled as she swung one leg over his. “We could go back to sleep.”

“That really what you want to do, love?” his rich baritone sent a thrill right to her womb. “Not sure that’s what your body’s telling me.”

“How do you know what my body’s saying?” she asked somewhat indignantly. “ Anyway, it could be lying. You wouldn’t know.”

He cocked an eyebrow at her, but when he saw she was honestly puzzled, he sat up and asked with some concern, “You do know I’m a vampire, pet?”

The look she gave him clearly said, “Duh!” so he continued, “What has your watcher taught you about vampires and what we can do?”

“You can go poof and turn to dust when I stake you,” she said brightly.

“This is serious, Slayer. I want to know what you know. Don’t want you makin’ any mistakes out there.”

“Fine, Giles, Jr.” she huffed and sat up to face him. He was secretly thrilled to notice that she made no attempt to cover herself this morning, although his appreciative scan of her body did make her blush slightly.

“Stop ogling me and tell me what you want to know,” she said as sternly as she could with his heated eyes on her.

Instead of asking her to tell him, he ran one hand up her arm and said, “I know that made your heart rate go up, I know you got wet when I sucked on your neck, I know you’re getting brassed off at me, and I know you’re still sore from last night...”

He laughed as she glared at him. “How?” was all she said.

“Can hear your heart beating – from a good distance, I might add. Can’t always tell why the rate increases, but I can tell when it does. As a predator, that tells me you might have sensed me, or that you’re already fighting somethin’ else. As a lover,” he smiled softly, “it tells me you’re reacting to me the way I want you to.”

Buffy huffed again, but waited expectantly for him to elaborate.

“My sense of smell is better than most dogs. I can tell if you’re frightened, if you’ve been with somebody else, if you’re brassed off.” He leaned in and caressed one of her naked breasts with his mouth until she squirmed and pushed him away. “And, I can smell your arousal.”

“What?” Most of what he’d been telling her were things that she knew to some degree. Enhanced vampire hearing, enhanced sense of smell, but the idea that he could smell her arousal sent her heart rate pounding and he grinned happily at her panicked look. “You can what my what?”

He pulled her into his lap so that she was straddling him, her moist center resting lightly on his semi-erect cock. He ran his tongue up the side of her neck and nibbled on the spot below her ear.

“I can smell when you’re aroused. You can try to control your heart beat and your breathin’ with all that yoga stuff your Watcher tries to teach you, but you can’t hide it when your juices start to flow. “S like ambrosia to me, love.”

“Well, that ‘s just...gross, Spike.”

“Prob’ly not one of those things I should be sharing with you, Slayer?”

“Probably not. Now I’ll never be able to...Have you always been able to do that?” Her wide-open eyes told him she’d just figured out what he’d known since the first time they fought.

“”Fraid so, pet.” When she looked mortified and tried to pull away he held her arms and forced her to stay where she was. “Look at me, love,” he ordered and she found herself reluctantly raising her eyes to his.

“Getting aroused when you fight - it’s not uncommon. Why do you think we ended up shaggin’ against the side of my car last night? It happens to me too. I had such a hard-on the first time we fought, it’s a wonder I was able to run away,” he said wryly. “The best part of that fight was knowin’ you were feelin’ the same thing. ‘S a part of you, love. Don’t be ashamed of it.”

“It doesn’t always happen,” she said, looking down. She debated whether to share Faith’s “slaying makes me hungry and horny” with him, then decided it was more information than he needed to have.

“Good to know, sweetheart. Else I’d have to kill every vamp you ever left standin’”

“You’re the only one I’ve ever left standing,” she said, smiling up at him shyly. “Well, except for Harmony, but that doesn’t really count, cause she’s so—“

He stopped her babbling by pulling her closer and kissing her until she was moaning and wrapping her legs around him. As he gently pushed her back down on the bed and nudged at her entrance, she asked breathlessly, “But how did you know I was sore?”

He grinned and gently pushed into her a little further.

“Cause if you weren’t, I wasn’t doin’ my job right last night,” he replied with a smirk.

Buffy rolled her eyes at him, but shifted her hips to give him better access. Suddenly she winced slightly and he stopped immediately.

“Am I hurtin’ you, love? I meant sore in a good way. If I hurt you, I—“

“Shhh,” she said, pulling his lower lip into her mouth. “It is in a good way. You can hurt me like that anytime you want,” she finished, blushing at her own boldness.

“That’s my girl,” he breathed as he started gently moving his hips. “But I can make this good without hurtin’ you. You just relax and let Spike show you how he can make love slow and easy.”

True to his word, he kept his movements soft and gentle, letting the pressure build so gradually that Buffy was clenching around him, tremors shaking her body, before she even realized she was close.

(This is definitely the way to wake up. He fits me perfectly. Not too big or heavy on me, just right. And he’s almost as strong as I am. I can’t hurt him. And he is sooo good at this. I could just lie here and let him... whoa!)


Her last surprised squeeze brought him to the climax he’d been putting off as he let hers build and he exploded into her, muffling his words in her neck as he did.

Before she drifted back to sleep, Buffy wondered fuzzily if she had heard him say “Love you, Buffy,” but sleep took her before she could decide if she had.


The next time she awoke, Spike was clearly in the deep sleep brought on by daylight and she slipped quietly out of the bed, after planting a soft kiss on his unmoving chest. She felt like she should be a little more disturbed about waking up next to what was essentially a corpse, but his face was so beautiful and youthful looking when he slept that she couldn’t.

By the time the approach of sundown did awaken him, she had eaten, wrapped up their clothes to take to the cleaner’s, and found an old pair of Riley’s sweats for him to wear. He growled at the scent on the pants, but agreed to wear them until he got back to his crypt to get his own clothes.

Once Spike was back in his comfortable jeans and tee shirt, they did a long patrol to make up for missing it the night before. Without any discussion, they finished the patrol back at her house and Spike only hesitated for a second before following her through the door.

Buffy went straight into the kitchen and pulled a bag of blood out of the fridge at the same time that she took out the juice. Spike watched without saying anything while she poured the blood into a mug, set it in the microwave, and sat at the counter to wait for it. When the oven pinged to say it was done, she pulled it out and handed it to him with a smile.

“Here you go, dinner is served.”

“Didn’t have to do that, love,” he said gruffly, trying to hide how affected he was by her thinking of him first.

He took the mug from her hand and carefully set it on the counter so that he could pull her into his arms. He buried his face in her hair while he held her in a tight but chaste embrace. His inner William wanted to babble poetry praising her for her generosity and kindness. His demon was screaming to mark her again.

Instead, he settled for planting a kiss on her head and thanking her. While he drank his blood, Buffy put a bag of popcorn in the microwave and they spent the rest of the evening watching TV and snuggling on the couch.

When Buffy began to yawn, he stood up and pulled her to her feet.

“Com’on, love, let’s get you tucked in,” he said softly. “Tired Slayers are cranky Slayers.”

“I’m never cranky!”

The vampire just raised one eyebrow at her and she had the grace to blush.

“Well, hardly ever,” she muttered. “Unless neutered vampires are annoying me.”

“Neutered? I’ll show you neutered, Missy,” Spike’s growl would have been impressive if he hadn’t looked so dismayed.

She just giggled and pulled him up the stairs with her. When they got to her room, she started to change into her pajamas and stopped when she had her shirt part way off. She could feel his eyes devouring her as more and more flesh was exposed. Looking at his heated gaze she changed her mind about what she was doing.

Buffy slowed down the motion of taking off her shirt, stretching her arms up higher than necessary and bending slightly to one side before pulling it over her head and tossing it at him. He batted it away without taking his eyes off her and watched intently as she unhooked her bra and slowly let it drop to the floor.

When she turned her back on him to shimmy out of her pants, she heard a soft growl behind her that sent a sudden wetness into her lace trimmed tap pants. Using just her fingertips, and exaggerating the hip motions needed to work her underwear off, she continued to tease him until she felt the air move behind her the way it often did before she was attacked.

She whirled just in time to find herself wrapped in leather-covered arms that were pulling her against a fully aroused and game-faced vampire. Her surprised “eep!” was almost drowned out by his throaty growl as he ran his fangs lightly along his marks.

Even as one part of her was screaming that she was in mortal danger and should be pushing the vampire away, her body was responding to the growling in a way that took her completely by surprise. The growls shook his whole body, which sent vibrations throughout her own, making her want to climb up and wrap her legs around him.

Before she could act on the urge, she found herself tossed onto the bed on her back. She looked up to see Spike, still in vamp face, rapidly shedding clothes, never taking his eyes off her.

The sight of Buffy lying spread out on the bed, face flushed, hair tousled, and clearly aroused sent any trace of William so far inside he might as well have not existed. The hard body that landed on top of the Slayer was pure vampire and he wasn’t worrying about hurting the human girl under him.

Their coupling was hard, brutal and fast. The vampire pounded into the Slayer, only to be met with equally strong hip thrusts that drove his cock in so far his balls were slapping against her ass. As their climaxes rapidly approached, she raked her nails over the smooth skin on his back, leaving bloody trails and eliciting more growls from the vampire.

Buffy’s scream as she came was muffled by Spike’s neck, where she had gripped the skin with her teeth as she shattered around him. With a roar, he sent his fangs into the exact spot on her neck that he had left his mark before. He took only a few strong pulls of her blood before pulling out and whispering, “Mine” as he licked them closed.

He rolled off her panting body and let his face gradually fade back into his beautiful human features. For several minutes they just lay side by side, hands touching, while Buffy struggled to get her breathing back to normal. When she felt she had her voice under control she gasped, “Note to self – do not tease the horny vampire.”

She felt the bed shake gently as Spike chuckled beside her.

“Always good advice, love.”

“Hmmph” was her only response at first, then she suddenly sat up and glared at him.

“MINE?”

“Sorry, pet,” he said, not really sounding all that sorry, but looking at her apologetically. “Demon was definitely in the driving seat that time.”

He waited to see if she was really angry, but to his surprise she just pulled the blankets up and snuggled next to him.

“Stupid demon’s gonna get his ass kicked if he doesn’t quit biting me,” she mumbled as she closed her eyes. “Don’t care if it does feel good...”



Without actually discussing it, they went back to their routine of patrolling together every night. The difference, now that they’d had their night on the town, was that they often ended the night at the Bronze, sitting in the balcony and enjoying a beer or two before heading back to Revello Drive. Sometimes they would walk through downtown and Spike would buy her ice cream from a shop there that stayed open late.

When Buffy questioned the wisdom of someone operating a shop after dark in Sunnydale, Spike introduced her to the owner, and explained that she was a harmless demon; one that appeared human enough to pass and yet be safe from the demon population around her. The nervous demon woman, with the pretty lavender eyes and pointed ears, was excited to meet the Slayer and fussed over Buffy until Spike told her to” knock it off, before you make her think she’s important or somethin’.”

“I AM important,” she sniffed. “And don’t you forget it, buster.”

“Never could, my love. I will never forget it.” Suddenly William took over Spike’s mouth and Buffy stared at him suspiciously wondering when he’d started talking like Giles.

To cover his embarrassment, he quickly changed the subject, asking, “So, when do the Scoobies start comin’ back to Sunnyhell from their summer escapes?”

“Pretty soon, actually,” she shrugged. “I think Willow and Tara will be back next week and Giles the week after that. Xander and Anya will be back about the same time, I think.”

She looked at him from the corners of her eyes and added, “Mom will be back from her New York trip day after tomorrow.” She waited to she how he would handle the news that they only had two more nights in which he could sleep in her bed.

(Maybe this is a good thing. We can wean ourselves off this constant togetherness a little bit at a time. By the time everybody is back, we’ll be back to normal.)

She refused to think about the way that their relationship had irrevocably changed or what effect that was going to have on all the people in her life who had not been around all summer to watch the change take place.

(I wonder what “normal” is going to mean now?)

“So, Slayer,” he said carefully, “guess it’s back to the old crypt for me, eh?”

“It doesn’t mean we won’t see each other,” she said quickly. “Mom likes you, and we’ll still patrol and all. We just...”

“We jus’ won’t be sleeping in the same bed like we have been.”

He stopped her with a hand on her arm and turned her to face him, “Kinda gotten used to that, love. ‘M not sure I want to give it up.”

“We’ve got no choice, Spike,” she said firmly. “No matter how much my mother might like you, I’m pretty sure she isn’t going to let you sleep with me! Anyway,” she looked up at him with a twinkle, “I think I’d be kind of inhibited knowing my mother was in the next bedroom.”

“Can’t have that, pet. If I can’t make you scream at least once, it feels like a wasted day.” The vampire smirked at her and pulled her close. “So, guess we better not waste any of the time we’ve got left. Yeah?”

Without answering, Buffy whirled and started walking home, knowing he would fall in beside her as he had every night since the beginning of summer.


Chapter Eight

Without any discussion, Spike and Buffy spent the next two days close to the house on Revello Drive. They went out in the evening for a quick patrol of Sunnydale then returned to the house to cuddle on the couch until one or the other of them initiated the first round of that night’s vigorous love making.

Buffy had finally stopped trying to deny that what they were doing was more than recreational sex. She was able to rationalize that when two people who clearly were fond of each other shared sexual pleasure it was perfectly fair to call it love making. Even if, as she constantly assured herself was the case, they were not actually in love with each other.

The day before Buffy’s mother was to arrive home, they spent the whole day in her darkened bedroom, emerging only for forays to the kitchen for food and drink, or Buffy’s occasional trips to the bathroom. Neither one of them commented on their unusual behavior, but the desperation with which they held each other every time they made love made it clear they were having the same thoughts.

(I’m being paranoid-Buffy. There’s no reason to act like this is the last time. We have plenty of time before everybody comes back. He just won’t be sleeping here, that’s all. Not a big deal.)

Buffy refused to admit that she had become accustomed to the safe feeling she got when she fell asleep with Spike’s arms around her. Telling herself it was just some residual claim stuff that made it feel so right, she pushed away any thoughts of how much she might miss it.

(It’s not like I’ll be sleeping alone all that much. Riley will be back and he’ll be there to hold me. My real, warm, human boyfriend will be back and wanting to spend his free time with me. And that’s who I really want. My real boy friend. This is just a summer thing between two friends who are lonely and bored.)

Telling herself firmly that she was going to be happy to see the big soldier and have him back in her bed, Buffy successfully suppressed any comparisons between Riley’s gentle, if boring, love making and Spike’s passionate and inventive worshipping of her body.

If Spike noticed how preoccupied she was, he didn’t say anything. Too wrapped up in his own internal monologue to even worry about her unusual silences, he never caught the confused looks she was sending him from time to time.
(Bloody hell, know we’ve still got tonight before I have to go back to the crypt. Soddin’ demon and his claim, makin’ me need to be with her all the time; worryin’ about leavin’ her to sleep alone.)

He almost doubled over in very real physical pain when he remembered who else was coming back soon and that she would not be sleeping alone all the time. The demon was roaring for his mate and Spike grabbed a surprised Buffy, pressing her into the mattress with his body while he growled and licked at the almost invisible marks on her neck.

As quickly as it came, the demon was gone and William was kissing her frantically and murmuring soft words into her flesh as he held her in arms that managed to be incredibly strong and incredible gentle at the same time. It wasn’t long before their bodies were once more intimately connected. Their lips and tongues silently saying the things that couldn’t be put into words.

(Can’t give this up. I’ll die without this. Need to feel her touchin’ me, around me. I’m drownin’ in her and I don’t want to come up. Want to stay here forever, buried inside my Slayer, my Buffy, my love.)

Before they went out for patrol, they once again showered together, washing away the sweat and body fluids that had accumulated on both of them during the course of the day. Spike was alternately tender and passionate as he tried to wrest every last speck of contact from his last day and night in the house.

Buffy was luxuriating in the pampering he was giving her scalp and hair when she heard the phone ringing in the bedroom. Quickly, he leaned down to whisper in her ear, “Let it go, love. Whoever it is will call back.”

“But it might be Mom,” Buffy complained. “What if she’s getting home early. Maybe she’s on her way right now!” She struggling against his pinioning arms, then relaxed when the phone stopped ringing.

“See,” he said happily as he positioned her under the water and rinsed the shampoo out of her hair. “You didn’t need to get out.”

He slid his hands down her flanks and pulled her closer to his slick body, nuzzling his marks on her neck. Buffy felt her knees weakening as he sucked gently on the scars, and she steeled herself to push him away.

“Okay then. But, we need to get out and kill some demons. The sooner we’re done patrolling, the sooner we can come home and go to bed,” she offered as an incentive to the vampire who was still reaching for her as she stepped out of the tub.

“Spoilsport,” he pouted, following her out and beginning to rub her down with the dry towel she handed him. When he had her dried off to suit him, she returned the favor, rubbing his back and legs before turning to dry his chiseled chest. She finished drying him off, only to run her tongue over his chest and nip at his nipple before running out of the bathroom laughing.

“Oh, that’s it, Slayer. You will pay for that one,” he growled, pursuing her out the door and across the hall. He grabbed her and tackled her on to the bed, biting her on one of her firm butt cheeks and mock snarling as he pretended to savage her flesh.

Buffy was screaming with laughter and flailing around trying to get enough leverage to throw him off. When his growls and bites turned to purring kisses and licks, she was finally able to stop giggling and pull herself away. She turned and looked at the smirking vampire, now lying on his back totally comfortable with his nudity. Her breath caught with a little hitch as she realized again how beautifully he was made.

Suddenly the idea that he was not going to be lying there anymore after tonight really hit and she threw herself on top of him kissing him frantically. It took Spike only a second to recover from his surprised delight, and he wrapped his arms around the squirming girl on top of him. For minutes she continued to kiss his face and neck, clinging to him as though she wanted to get inside his skin.

He could hear her heart thudding and in addition to smelling her distress, he could sense it through the partial claim he’d made. He stopped responding to her kisses and took hold of her shoulders, pushing her slightly off him so that he could see her face.

“Hey, love,” he asked softly, “What’s this all about? Not that I’m not enjoyin’ it,” he hastened to assure her, “but I thought you wanted to go kill things?”

“I did. I do. It’s just...everything’s changing. Mom will be home, so no more Spike in my bed. Willow and Tara will be back in a few days, and...then Xander and Anya. And Giles! Giles will be here in another week. And...”

She didn’t need to finish her listing of names. They both knew who else would be back soon. The vampire’s eyes flashed amber as he stared at his marks on her neck, knowing the claim would mean nothing to her human boyfriend other than she’d let Spike bite her without dusting him.

“So, what’s the big deal, pet?” he asked much more calmly than he felt. He tried to smother the hope he could feel growing in his chest. “I’m gonna miss sleeping here with you, for sure, but we can still find time to be alone. We’ll still patrol. The nasties will be gettin’ more active now that Fall’s comin’ and we’ll have plenty to do. It’s not like I’m gonna stop helpin’ you jus’ cause your little Scooby gang is back,” he said cautiously.

When she didn’t respond, except to get up and start dressing, he grabbed her arm and pulled her up short.

“I’m not, am I, Buffy?”

Spike’s use of her name, something he usually only did during love making, brought her startled eyes to his face and she cringed at the fear she saw there. It was easy to recognize the fear, because she was feeling the same thing as she contemplated how complicated her life was about to become.

“I...I don’t know,” she whispered, pulling her arm free and tugging her sweatshirt over her head. “I don’t know what’s going to happen.”

She finished dressing and walked out of the room, leaving him lying on the bed, still naked, staring blindly at the ceiling. She cringed when she heard him snarl and throw something across the room, although when he appeared quickly all dressed and ready to go, there was no sign of anger or fear. His face was closed and his eyes were blue ice as he held the door for her.

The uncomfortable silence between them lasted until they ran into a group of fledglings just finding their way out of Restfield cemetery. With a guilty start, they both realized that they had been careless about patrolling Spike’s cemetery all summer. And with the older vampire not staying in his crypt, the newly risen vamps had been able to make themselves at home in a way they never would have if he was still living there.

“Looks like it’s time to clean house, pet,” he said with barely restrained glee.

“It sure does. “ Buffy was startled to realize how much difference Spike’s presence had made in Restfield and how much she had come to depend on it when planning her patrols.

Buffy strolled towards the group of curious vamps, her stake concealed in her hand. Giving them a cheery smile she asked, “What are you guys doing out tonight? Is it Halloween and somebody forgot to tell me? What are you dressed as? Let me see, dirt under your fingernails, cheap suits, ugly faces...you must be...ogres!”

The newly risen vamps had no idea there even was such a thing as a Slayer; let alone that it was their misfortune to be turned in the very town in which she lived. They jostled each other in their eagerness to be the first one to get a bite of the tiny blonde walking toward them. It briefly crossed the mind of the smartest one that there was something not quite right about the attractive blond couple who didn’t seem to be worried about being in a cemetery after dark, but he couldn’t really come up with any reason why it wasn’t all right to eat them.

Nevertheless, he hung back slightly and so had an excellent view of the Slayer in action. Buffy pivoted on one foot, using the other leg to sweep the feet out from under two of the four vamps attacking her. Her momentum carried her out of reach of their grasping claws and she was able to stake the first one through the back as she went past him. She had dusted two more before they had enough presence of mind to gang up on her. While she exchanged punches with the one in front of her, another crept around behind and went to reach for her arms.

Instead of having an armful of Slayer, he found himself dangling off the ground. Something very strong was holding him in the air using only the largish hand wrapped around his throat. The vampire didn’t have to breath, but he began to panic as he realized that the steady squeezing could easily pop his head off. The lone remaining fledgling hesitated only a second before he turned and ran for the gate, leaving his fellow bloodsucker to his fate.

Spike continued to hold the struggling vampire aloft while Buffy finished with the one she was fighting and then threw her stake with unerring accuracy into the retreating back of the last fledgling. When nothing was left but the one Spike was holding, she put her hands on her hips and looked at him impatiently.

“Are you going to dust him, or just play with him all night?”

“I dunno, pet. He was trying to grab you, so I was thinkin’ about ripping his arms off before I dust him. What d’you think?”

The dangling vampire redoubled his struggles, as the seriousness of Spike’s expression left no doubt that the older vampire was really considering tearing him apart. Fortunately for him, Buffy was impatient to see what else might have been taking advantage of their absence from the cemetery. She plunged her stake into his chest, watching with great satisfaction as his remains drifted away on the evening breeze.

Buffy rolled her eyes at Spike’s disappointed grumbling and led him further into the graveyard. They encountered several more newly risen vampires and sent them all to their final end before agreeing that they had done a good night’s work and turning for home.

Buffy frowned as they approached the bungalow, asking Spike, “Do you remember my leaving the lights on in the kitchen?”

“Can’t say I do, love. But I wasn’t really paying attention.”

Words were unnecessary as both nighttime hunters slipped silently around to the back of the house to peer into the kitchen.

“Oh,” Buffy said slowly. “Mom’s home a day early.”

She turned to look at Spike, tilting her head up in time to catch the disappointed look that flashed across his face.

“Guess we don’t get that last night after all. Eh, pet?” he said quietly, trying to sound casual about it.

“I guess not...” she replied just as quietly.

As one, they moved together and exchanged a kiss that was equally full of regret and longing as it was passion. They stood together for several seconds, neither one willing to be the one to let go first. Finally, as so often happened, they were ready to reluctantly let go and step back at the same time.

When Buffy turned to go up on the porch and in the kitchen door, Spike followed silently. Joyce looked up, startled, when the back door opened suddenly, then smiled when she saw who was there.

“Buffy! I was hoping you’d be home before I went to bed,” she said as she hugged her daughter and smiled over her shoulder at Spike. “I guess you two still aren’t finding many things to slay?”

“Oh we found ‘em, Joyce,” Spike said with a grin, “It’s just the stupid buggers were all in the same place, so it didn’t take long to dust ‘em.”

“Oh, well, I’m glad I got a chance to see you tonight anyway. I’m just exhausted from the trip. I’m going to bed in just a few minutes and I do NOT want to be disturbed until noon!”

Buffy laughed to hear her early-rising mother threatening to sleep late and kissed her on the cheek.

“Ok, Mom. No problem here. We—I—don’t get up very early either.”

She held her breath, hoping her mother was too tired to have noticed her slip, but the sharp look Joyce shot at Spike told her it was a faint hope. Giving Buffy a look that promised they would be having a long talk tomorrow, she said “good-night” and started upstairs. Spike noticed her wrestling with her suitcase and with a “Let me get that, Joyce,’ immediately took it away from her and went upstairs with it.

Joyce wasn’t too tired to notice how comfortable he seemed to be in her house and that he had no trouble finding the correct room in which to put the suitcase. Promising herself she would have a long talk with Buffy in the morning, she thanked him politely and closed the bedroom door.

When Spike got back downstairs, Buffy was sitting on the couch and idly flipping through channels on the TV. After a moment’s hesitation, he slipped into his usual spot beside her and put a tentative arm around her shoulders. He let out the breath he hadn’t even realized he was holding when she dropped her head against him and mumbled into his chest, “She knows, doesn’t she?”

“Your mum’s not a stupid woman, pet.”

“And I, apparently, have no control of my mouth.”

“I think you have great control of your mouth, love,” he said, placing his tongue behind his teeth and leering at her.

She smacked him half-heartedly on his arm and glared at him. “And you’re going to have to watch yours, too! You can’t say things like that around my mom!”

“Relax, Slayer,” he put his other arm around her and nuzzled her neck. “I’m not stupid either. And, I don’t want your mom going for her axe,” he added.

“This is just the beginning. Tonight my mom; next week Giles. Gah!” she put her head down and shuddered as she thought about her Watcher’s probable reaction to any suggestion that Spike had wormed his way into her life, never mind her bed.

“We’re never going to be able to keep this a secret,” she moaned. “Everybody is going to know what we did this summer.”

Buffy was so busy bemoaning how hard it was going to be to prevent her friends from finding out about them, that she didn’t see the heartbroken look that went across Spike’s face at her words. While Buffy worried that her friends would find out about her summer fling with the vampire, Spike felt the whole fantasy he’d built up about what was between them crumbling around his head.

He slowly removed his arms from around her slender body, asking in a deceptively mild tone, “What exactly DID we do this summer pet?”

Buffy blinked at him in confusion.

“What do you mean, what did we do? Hello, you were there! Where do you want me to start?”

“How about you start with, we patrolled together because you were bored and I was...convenient? We got to be friends and shared a few laughs. We killed some nasties, took one trip to LA, annoyed Peaches, came back, killed some more nasties, had a few beers and some ice cream cones, and watched some TV together. That’s about it, yeah?”

Buffy continued to stare at him, her mouth hanging open.

“That is most definitely not ‘about it’, Spike, and you know it!” She glared at him angrily.

“ ‘Bout covers what you’re gonna tell your friends, though, doesn’t it?” He spoke through gritted teeth, trying to hold on to both his temper and his pride.

“Well, what do you want me to tell them? That I spent the summer having mind-blowing sex with the vampire that came here to kill me? That I had a summer fling with William the Bloody and let him bite me? That a master vampire tried to claim me? How long do you think you’ll stay not dusty if I tell them that, huh?”

His face wore an expression she had never seen before. One that she was sure she never wanted to see again. She watched his eyes go from icy anger to sheer misery as he said quietly, “If what we’ve shared was just a ‘summer fling’ to you, then I don’t think it really matters how long it is. It won’t be soon enough.”

He whirled and was out the door before she could process what he’d said, leaving her staring after him in shock. Absently clicking off the TV, she made her way upstairs and into her empty bedroom. Still dazed, she got ready for bed, putting on pajamas for the first time in weeks. She stood in the middle of the room, staring at the rumpled bed that suddenly appeared so large and empty.

With a small moan, she threw herself down onto it, burying her nose in the sheets that smelled faintly of tobacco, leather and Spike. They also smelled like someone had spent the entire day having sex on them, and Buffy realized she was going to have to do that particular load of laundry when her mother was at work. Wrapping herself in the comforting sheets and clutching the pillow that smelled faintly like Spike’s hair gel, she closed her eyes and waited to fall asleep.

Two hours later, she was still waiting. No matter how many talks she had with her disobedient body, it insisted on telling her something was missing from the bed and sleep was not going to be an option until she found it. She unconsciously ran her fingers over the almost invisible marks of Spikes teeth, not even noticing how much that soothed her until she was drifting off.