Author's Chapter Notes:
A short chapter, to be followed quickly by another one or two. I have a day off, so I may do a lot of posting today.
Chapter Six

Buffy awoke with a start and then relaxed as she remembered where she was and whose arm was across her body. She turned her head and smiled as she saw Spike gazing down on her. “Mornin’, Slayer,” he said, pushing her hair back from her face.

“Morning?” she yelped, then groaned as she noticed the light filtering into the crypt around the door. “Oh my god. I stayed all night?”

“Yeah. I didn’t want to wake you. You looked like you needed the sleep.” (And I didn’t want you to leave).

“How long have you been awake?” she asked curiously.

“Uh, awhile. Not too long. But you know, vampire – nighttime is my daytime……” No way was he going to tell her he had spent hours just watching her sleep and marveling at how beautiful she was.

“Oh, right. Guess it cut into your time – having me here all night. You should have woken me up and sent me home.” (But I’m glad you didn’t).

He touched her chin and turned her face up to his, “There is no place else I would rather have been, Buffy. And nothing more important than being with you.”

(Careful, wanker, you’re going to say something you shouldn’t and scare her away!)

Reluctantly pushing herself away from him, Buffy looked around for her clothes and began pulling them on. “I need to get back to the dorm and think about what I’m going to tell Willow about where I was tonight. I might even go to class today – who knows?” She looked at him over her shoulder as she ran her fingers through her tousled hair. “What are you going to do?”

“Uh, again –vampire, pet. I’m going to sleep. As soon as I can move around outside, I’m going to go looking for this Adam character. Should be somebody at Willie’s can tell me where to find him.”

“I don’t think that’s very safe.....that vamp that got away the other night, he’s seen us together twice. If he tells Adam you’re helping me...” Her forehead knit in worry as she looked at him.

“I’ll be all right, love. Got too much to live for to be careless.” He pulled her down for a lingering kiss. “And, I’ve got two years of missing you to make up for yet.”

Buffy smiled at him and brushed her hand across his cheek as she promised, “And I’m going to make you account for every minute of those two years. But,” she added as she stood up again, “right now I have to get back to the school. I’ll find you later tonight. OK?”

“OK, Slayer. Till tonight.”



Buffy went through the day’s activities with a far-away but satisfied look on her face that had Willow puzzled and somewhat worried. Finally, as they both arrived back at their dorm room to get ready for dinner, she pushed Buffy down onto her bed and ordered, “OK, dish. What’s with the Cheshire cat look today? What don’t I know that, as your best friend, I should?”

Buffy tried her best to look innocent as she replied, “I don’t know what you mean. What look?”

“That one! The one that says ‘I have a wonderful secret’ and I.......Oh, Goddess! Is it Spike?” She stared at her friend with eyes like saucers. “Buffy?”

Buffy tried to look shocked, but finally succumbed to both the guilt of keeping secrets from her best friend and the urge to share.

“Yes,” she said, bowing her head. “It’s Spike.”

Willow struggled to maintain her “supportive friend” face as she asked, “But, Buffy? Evil vampire? Good Slayer? How are these mixy things?”

“I don’t know, Will,” she groaned. “I just know he makes me happier than anyone else every has and I know I need him right now to help me with Adam.” She paused and looked apologetically at her friend, “Are you disappointed in me?”

“Hey, not one to talk about the unconventional relationships here – I mean, werewolf and.....Tara. Although, granted, they are both alive and non-evil.....”

“Look, Will, I know this is hard to get used to. I’m not used to it either. And I don’t know where it’s going, if anywhere. He’s probably just here to keep his promise to help me with my slaying and when we kill Adam he’ll probably go back to whatever he was doing before....” Her voice trailed off as a physical pain shot through her at the thought of Spike’s leaving again. Shaking off the fear that he would soon be gone, she focused back on her friend. “Let’s just not tell Giles or Xander yet, OK? I don’t want them to freak.”

“Ok, Buffy. I won’t tell. But Giles isn’t stupid, you know. He might figure it out.”

“I’ll worry about that when the time comes. Right now I want to worry about Spike and Adam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As soon as it was dusk, Spike wandered down to Willie’s and ordered some O Neg and scotch. As he sat nursing his drink, he looked around the room idly wondering which of the demons and vampires there might be working for Adam. (Must be my lucky night) he thought with satisfaction as he saw the vamp that had escaped from them twice entering the bar. The scruffy looking vamp picked up a take out order and as he turned to leave, Spike slipped out the door behind him and put his hand on his neck.

The other vampire swung around in game face, then when he saw who was holding him by the neck he groaned and tried to pull away. “Hey, man, I don’t want any trouble,” he whined, looking around. “Where’s the Slayer?”

“She’s busy elsewhere,” Spike replied. “Not that her comin’ and goin’ is any of your business,” he added with a growl and a shake of the other vampire’s neck.

“Right, right, not my business. Got it! No problem.”

“Now that’s settled, take me to Adam,” Spike ordered quietly.

“Uh, I don’t think that’s a good idea, man. Adam isn’t going to want the Slayer’s......”

“The Slayer’s what?” Spike said with a dangerous glint in his eye.

“Urk!” the other vampire said as Spike squeezed his neck. “You....she....”

“Not your concern, mate. Just take me to your leader.” He smirked and laughed. “I always wanted to say that!”

The other vampire shrugged and said, “Your funeral” as he headed off toward Adam’s lair.

As they entered the lair and Adam looked up from his computer console, Spike took in his appearance. (Ugly bloke!) he thought as his guide groveled in front of Adam, apologizing for bringing Spike along.

He stopped speaking as Adam waved his hand dismissively and waited anxiously to see what he would do about Spike. The blond vampire casually lit a cigarette and leaned against one wall as the mechanical/human/demon hybrid approached him.

“So, you are the vampire that is helping the Slayer,” he remarked. “Is there a reason I should not kill you?”

“Well, yeah, you stupid git. Because I can deliver the Slayer to you. Whenever and however you want her.”

Adam shot a look at his minion and said calmly. “I’ve been led to understand that you have some sort of ...relationship... with her. Why would you turn her over to me?”

“The ‘relationship’, which your minion there is too stupid to recognize, is that I have her in a thrall. Have had since two years ago. She’ll do whatever I say.”

“If she’s in your thrall, why isn’t she dead? Why haven’t you drained her? You do drink blood, do you not?”

“Let me explain this in small words so your mechanical mind can understand it – live Slayer in thrall means I can do what I want in Sunnydale. Dead Slayer means a new one is called and I have to fight a new Slayer every time I kill one.”

“Ah, I see,” Adam said. “this is a strategy then, not some kind of unnatural relationship.”

“Exactly” Spike threw his cigarette butt on the floor and crushed it with his boot.

“So, you want to talk to me for what reason?”

“Want to work out some kind of arrangement. I help you and keep the Slayer away, you give me my choice of whatever I want when Sunnydale is yours.”

“I will think about this, vampire. I may ask you to demonstrate your thrall at some point.”

“No problem, mate. Just let me know.”

“Are you believing him?” the minion asked in astonishment. “I already told you I saw him kissing the Slayer. What kind of thrall is that?”

Adam looked curiously at Spike who smirked and shrugged. “The Slayer’s a hot little number. No sense wasting a perfectly good thrall, just cause I’m not going to eat her.”

Adam frowned and shook his head. “This desire for physical contact is one of the things we will eliminate in our new race of warriors. It is an unnecessary use of energy.”

“Yeah, whatever.” Spike replied. “Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.” He straightened up and turned to go. “So, do we have an arrangement? I keep the Slayer away, you give me what I want?”

“I will think about this, vampire. Return tomorrow night and I will let you know my decision.”

Shooting the minion a two-fingered salute, he sauntered out of the cave and headed back to his crypt.