Author's Chapter Notes:
My apologies for the "epilogue" that showed up in the last chapter heading. It was supposed to say just Chapter Ten, but the computer brownies decided to "help" me out by pulling more words out of the ether. I've fixed it. There is a lot more to go - I promise. :)
Chapter Eleven

Sometime during the course of their rather lengthy nap, the two had curled up together, the Slayer tucked inside the embrace of the vampire who had killed two of her sisters. When Spike awoke enough to feel Buffy shivering, he pulled the bedspread over them and pulled her closer, regretting for the first time in over a hundred years his lack of body heat.

A timid knock on the door, followed by a slightly louder knock when there was no response, finally penetrated Buffy’s restful sleep and she murmured without thinking, “Yes?”

Molly’s bright red face appeared briefly in the doorway as she hastily mumbled that supper would be ready soon. She looked everywhere but toward the bed, trying not to see her obviously naked mistress peering over the body of the man she’d known since she was a little girl. Spike couldn’t resist a smirk when Buffy’s face colored to match Molly’s as she woke up enough to realize what sort of picture they made.

With Molly’s quick departure, Buffy dropped back down onto her back, groaning with embarrassment. She could feel Spike’s body shaking with laughter and she leaned up on her elbow to glare at him.

“What are you laughing at? We’ve probably traumatized her for life!”

“She’ll be all right, love. I don’t think the serving classes are as uptight as my tight-assed social circle. She’s probably downstairs wishing she had a boyfriend to go home to right about now.”

“You’re not a boy friend,” Buffy said with the beginnings of a pout. “You’re my husband. That’s different. I don’t have a boyfriend. I—oh my god!” her eyes flew open wide as realization set in. “I DO have a boyfriend. Riley! I forgot about Riley. I just cheated on my boyfriend – with a vampire. With the vampire he thinks I-- Oh, this is sooo not going to help his inferiority complex.”

She dropped her head onto Spike’s chest in mock despair, thereby missing the amber flashes in his eyes at the mention of the man she’d been dating back in Sunnydale. He silently cursed himself for opening his mouth and reminding her of someone she hadn’t mentioned the whole time they’d been in London.

“You’re planning to tell him?” he asked carefully, lightly running a hand up and down her arm as he pretended to be only mildly curious. Buffy shivered slightly, but didn’t move away. With her face pressed up against his muscular chest, and his hand stroking her arm sensuously, she was finding it hard to worry about Riley and Sunnydale.

She shook her head slowly, unconsciously rubbing her cheek against his cool skin as she did so.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do. I don’t…I’m not that kind of girl. I don’t cheat on the men I…” She struggled to say the word love, but just couldn’t make it fit the way she was feeling. “…the men I’m dating,” she finished lamely.

Spike picked up on her choice of words and used his free hand to turn her chin so that he could look her in the eye.

“How about the man you’re married to? Would you cheat on him?”

Buffy lost herself in the seemingly bottomless blue pools staring at her. His question had been asked so quietly she wouldn’t have heard it if she hadn’t been facing him from a few inches away. She stammered, unable to look away from the emotions laid bare in those beautiful eyes.

“We…we’re…we’re only pretending to be married.”

“Right you are, pet,” he agreed, hiding his disappointment. “We’re just play acting. I almost forgot, we gave such a bloody good performance.”

He wriggled his eyebrows at her lasciviously and she giggled in agreement.

“Yeah, we were pretty…” She stopped, at a loss for words to describe the incredible passion and heat of their lovemaking.

“Amazing? Wonderful? Bloody brilliant? Stop me when I get to something that doesn’t fit, Slayer.”

“We were very good together,” she said primly, sitting up and clutching the bed spread in front of her. “And now we have to get dressed and go downstairs and behave like a proper married Victorian couple so we don’t frighten the servants.”

“Wouldn’t want to frighten the servants,” he said with a sigh, sitting up and grinning as her eyes went immediately to where the cover was tented over his pelvic area. She licked her lips as she ran her eyes up his taut abdomen to his smooth, pale chest and back down to where the bedspread barely covered the light brown curls at the base of his shaft.

“You…you can’t go downstairs like that! “ she squeaked, pointing at him as he stood up and let the bedcover fall.

“News flash, pet. That’s what I’m like most of the time around you. Don’t worry about it, I’ll tuck it away so nobody notices. Gotten bloody good at that over the last few months, I have.”

He held out his hand to help her up, rolling his eyes when she blushed and clutched the bedcover more tightly.

“What’s this now? All of a sudden you’re getting shy on me? Is this the same woman who almost strangled me with her—“

“Do NOT finish that sentence!” Eyes flashing, Buffy raised her chin and stood up quickly, trying not to cringe away from his eyes as they ran over her body from head to toe. Her anger faded immediately as she took in the awed look on his face and heard his barely whispered, “Most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen…”

She blushed again, this time embarrassed not by her nudity, but by his unabashed admiration of it. When she ducked her head and refused to look at him, he moved closer, saying softly, “Com’ere, Buffy.”

Hesitantly, she stepped closer, stopping before the bobbing cock between them could brush her stomach. He tipped her chin up and kissed her with the tenderness that caught her by surprise every time he showed it.

“You’re bloody gorgeous, Buffy, and you should never be ashamed to let me see your body. There isn’t a single inch of it I don’t want to worship with my mouth and hands every day for the rest of my un-life.”

While Buffy gaped at him, he turned her around and gave her a gentle push toward her dress, saying casually, “Of course, if you let anybody else see it, I’ll have to bite ‘em.” He emphasized his point by planting a sharp slap on her ass as she bent over to pick up her bloomers, earning himself a look that made him laugh and put some distance between them at the same time.

When he had pulled on his trousers and tucked his shirt back in, he calmly walked over and began re-buttoning Buffy’s dress for her. When he had it completely fastened, he rested his hands on her shoulders briefly before sliding them down her arms to link their hands. He leaned over her, enjoying the sound of blood rushing through her veins as he took her ear lobe in his blunt teeth and worried it briefly.

“Now lets get downstairs before we scandalize the servants by missing supper completely.”

“Hey, I’m not the one nibbling on body parts instead of walking out the door,” she complained, even as she leaned back into him and shut her eyes. She tilted her head up and back, unconsciously baring her throat to his mouth and making him groan against her skin.

“Ah, Slayer, you don’t know what that does to me,” he almost gasped, running his tongue up the side of her throat, pressing it against the pulse he found pounding there. He fought his demon down as his fangs threatened to drop into the buttery skin under his lips and his mouth began to water.

He pushed her away almost roughly, ignoring the hurt look on her face while he grappled with his desire to make her completely his. Buffy looked at him with hurt confusion, then turned and headed for the door. “I’m sorry,” she snapped. “I thought you might like it. I didn’t realize it would make you think I was food!”

He was in front of her before she could turn the knob, holding her stiff angry arms while he tried to explain.

“The demon wasn’t thinking food, luv. He was thinking, Mate. Seems like he wants you just as much as I do – or more.”

“Mate?” she squeaked. “What do you mean, ‘mate’?”

He sighed and opened the door, gesturing for her to precede him through it. “So, your watcher never told you about vampire claiming rituals?”

“Uh, no. Guess the subject just never came up – what with me more interested in slaying them than …anything else.” She stopped and frowned in confusion for a second. “Although, come to think of it, he did say something about you and Drusilla when you first came to Sunnydale….” She turned and looked at him, her face unreadable. “Aren’t you already…mated?”

“No,” he said tightly in a voice that left no doubt that he wasn’t saying any more about it.

She studied his closed face for a few seconds, but he didn’t change expression or offer any more information. Spurred by an impulse she didn’t want to examine too closely, she reached up and placed a soft kiss on his tightly shut mouth. She was just pulling away when his arms went around her and she found herself being held so tightly she knew a normal human girl would have had broken ribs.

“Uh, Spike? Air? I need it to live.”

“Sorry, luv,” he said, nuzzling the side of her face and loosening his grip. “Didn’t’ mean to hurt you.”

“I know,” she agreed, squeezing him back gently before dropping her arms and continuing down the stairs. “I guess your chip must have known you weren’t trying to hurt me too, since it didn’t fire.”

If the vampire hadn’t already been so pale, he would have blanched at her casual remark. Suddenly the lack of pain from the chip the night before loomed larger in his thoughts than it had at the time. And the slap he’d just planted on her backside, while not intended to injure, had certainly hurt her.

(Alright, once is an aberration, twice is a coincidence…three times and I’m in big trouble. Got to find a way to test this out without Buffy knowing why I’m worried.)

Vowing to find a way to test out the chip’s status, he followed Buffy down the stairs and in to the dining room where they enjoyed another of Mrs. Barstow’s fine meals. Spike looked around the newly cleaned and polished room with satisfaction, almost glad that he’d had this opportunity to fix up the things that had been allowed to slide when money was so tight.

When dinner was over and they had supposedly retired for the night, Buffy slipped into the pants Spike had bought her and prepared to go out again. When she emerged from her room, tight pants hugging her feminine hips and a loose shirt hiding her other curves, she crossed to Spike’s room and knocked hesitantly on the door.

It opened immediately and she could see that the vampire was ready to go out for evening’s slaying. He was dressed in dark brown casual trousers and his own black tee shirt. He looked at her approvingly, turning her around and cocking his head speculatively.

“What?” she demanded. “I did the best I could. It’s not pretty, but…”

“Doesn’t need to be pretty, pet. In fact….” He walked away from her and rummaged in a drawer, emerging with a wool cap in his hand. “If we can fit all your hair under this hat, you might pass for a boy. A very pretty boy,” he added with a smile. “But that won’t be a problem unless we run into a bunch of poofters.”

Buffy quickly ran to the mirror and stuffed her hair under the knitted cap. She studied her reflection and nodded in satisfaction.

“It might work,” she said. “At least I won’t be scandalizing the neighbors every night. Although,” she raised her eyebrow in a good imitation of his own trademark smirk, “they might begin to wonder about your sexual orientation.”

“Let ‘m wonder, pet. We know the truth, don’t we,” he smirked, stepping up behind her and reaching around to cup her breasts.

Buffy watching with interest as her shirt moved around seemingly of its own accord as Spike’s hands moved over her nipples and massaged her breasts.

“That’s kind of cool-looking,” she mused to herself.

“If you think that’s interesting, wait until we get home tonight and see what else I can do in a mirror.” He slid his hands down into the pockets of the pants and stroked the insides of her thighs.

Buffy giggled, grabbing his wrists and moving them away from her rapidly heating up body. She pirouetted away from his pouting mouth and ran to the door.

“Come on, William. Let’s go find something to slay.”