Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so sorry for the mess-up with the chapters. I thought I had put up Ch. 19, although it apparently didn't go through at the time. Without checking, I copied the next chapter that was in the queue, but gave it the number that followed what was posted already. That's what I get for not reading carefully. Chapter Nineteen is now up, following Chapter Eighteen, if anyone is interested enough to go back and read it. There is some kind of important stuff in it, in terms of how everyone is reacting to the obvious Spuffyness, as well as the explanation for Buffy's 'protection'.
Warning – this chapter contains some non-graphic but clear non-consensual sex, slash and torture. If that squicks you out, you might want to skip the last section.


Chapter Twenty-One

“Are you going home tonight, Buffy?”

Giles’ sudden question brought them all out of their solitary thoughts and she shifted uncomfortably on Spike’s lap.

“I…I don’t know. I…we…I mean, for the past two weeks…”

She looked to Spike for help, but he just squeezed reassuringly and waited to hear what she had to say. Biting her lip, Buffy took a deep breath and said quickly, “I don’t want to sleep without Spike. He keeps the dreams away.”

“If the dreams are truly prophetic, I don’t know that keeping them away is a very good idea,” Giles said apologetically. “It might be best if you left yourself…open to them.”

With a growl, the vampire leaned forward to glare at the other man.

“You don’t know what they were doing to her. Or how real they were for her. We know what we need to know. The poof has lost his soul again, the whore is back with him, and apparently so is Dru. And he wants to add Buffy to his unholy harem. The only thing left to figure out is why she goes all catatonic around him. Got to be magic. No way is this Slayer afraid of that wanker.”

He sat back, hoping sincerely that he’d spoken the truth when he said Buffy wasn’t afraid of his grandsire. It bothered him to hear her admit that it was because he kept Angelus out of her dreams that she didn’t want to sleep without him and he tried to smother the pang that went through him at the implication.

(Is that all I am to her? A security blanket against bad dreams?)

As though she had read his mind, Buffy tilted her head back to nuzzle the side of his neck reassuringly. She hadn’t missed the way he stilled when she said he kept the dreams away and she correctly guessed what was wrong. She turned and fixed her surrogate father with a hard eye.

“Giles, I’ve been living as Mrs. William Sinclair for the past two weeks. In every way,” she added, just in case he missed her meaning. “I’m not ready to give that up just yet.”

The older man took off his glasses and polished them vigorously, clearing his throat and trying not to see the smirk on the vampire’s face as he looked at him over Buffy’s head.

“Yes, quite. More than I wanted to know, I am sure.” He grimaced and put his glasses back on. “So, then. Where ARE you planning to spend the rest of the night? As understanding as your mother may be, I do not see Joyce welcoming Spike into your bedroom.”

Buffy sighed and nodded her head. “Neither do I. I guess we’ll just stay at Spike’s cryp—“

“NO!” Spike’s outburst had them both staring at him in surprise.

“It’s not safe, love. Remember finding Dru in Molly’s room?”

Ignoring the watcher’s “Dru? Molly?”, Buffy nodded and said with a sigh, “I forgot. Don’t suppose you’d like to give me your crypt too?” She smiled at him impishly and he laughed, kissing the tip of her nose as he answered, “I’m beginning to think you married me for my money, love.”

“You know I didn’t. Although got to say – I really like my diamonds,” she teased, holding her hand out to let the light catch on her rings.

Still not getting any answers to his questions, Giles continued to mutter to himself, “Give me your crypt TOO? Married? Money? Diamonds?” While Spike and Buffy took advantage of his distraction to indulge in some noisy kissing.

“Oh dear lord,” he finally interrupted them. “It’s going to be just like Willow’s spell again, isn’t it? Could you two keep your lips…and other body parts off each other long enough to decide what you’re going to do for the night. While you’ve been vacationing in the old country, I’ve been working around the clock to get you back here and I’d like to get to sleep at some point.”

“I’m sorry, Giles,” Buffy apologized with a rueful smile. “I know you have and I…we are very grateful. We’ll just get out of here and let you get some sleep. We’ll figure out where we’re going to sleep later.”

“Yeah, sorry Watcher,” Spike surprised him by saying with apparent sincerity. “We got used to not thinkin’ about anybody but ourselves for awhile there. Guess we’re still not back mentally.”

Since their primary actions once they’d returned had been to see to the safety of everyone they thought might be in danger, Giles knew that wasn’t true, but he nodded and graciously accepted the vampire’s apology.

Clearing his throat carefully, he ventured, “I do have a guest room. If you promise not to keep me awake doing things I would rather not imagine,” he shot a hard look at the vampire before continuing, “you are more than welcome to stay here for the rest of the night. That will give you all day tomorrow to work out a more permanent arrangement.”

The two blondes exchanged looks of silent communication, then turned back to the waiting man.

“That’s very…understanding of you Giles. We appreciate it. And I promise, we’ll be out of your hair as soon as we find a place to live.”

Giles nodded wearily and swayed to his feet. He started to leave, then stopped and turned back to look at his Slayer.

“You are planning to continue to live together then?” he asked as calmly as possible.

“Well…I didn’t mean…I…we…” She floundered for an answer and looked up into Spike’s curious eyes.

“Whatever you want, love,” he said softly, determined not to push her into anything she would regret.

“I thought I understood you to say you were merely pretending to be married, Buffy. I do not believe the state of California considers diamond rings, however lovely they may be, a substitute for a wedding license."

Buffy blushed and got off Spike’s lap to open her rucksack. She took out the box that the diamonds belonged in as she grumbled, “It was just force of habit, Giles. I’m used to thinking of myself as half of a married couple. It might take a while to stop saying ‘we’.”

She missed the wince from the vampire when she referred to her use of “we” as a habit. Giles, however, didn’t miss the pain that flashed across Spike’s face when she pulled the diamond studs out of her ears and the rings off her fingers. He watched with great curiosity as William the Bloody appeared to be struggling to hold back tears when Buffy presented him with her neck, lifting her hair so that he could unfasten the locket.

Surprising himself with his desire to give the vampire some privacy, he turned away with a quiet, “You both know where the spare room is. I’ll leave you to find it and say ‘good-night’ then.”

Spike didn’t look up from his concentration on the back of Buffy’s neck as she gave her watcher a wave of her hand. When she didn’t feel the locket being lifted off her neck, she looked back over her shoulder and caught the unhappiness on his face.

“Hey,” she said softly as she turned around so that his hands were encircling her shoulders and she was facing him. “I have to take them off, you know. I don’t want anything to happen to them while I’m slaying. Anyway, they’re a little dressy for jeans and sweats, don’t you think?” She tried to get a smile out of him and he obliged with a half-hearted smirk.

“No worse than half the other stuff you wear, pet.”

“Are you insulting my wardrobe, vampire?” she mock growled as she poked him in the chest.

“Nope, I’m insultin’ your taste in clothes.” He gave her a genuine smile, the familiar banter easing his fears that she might be putting him off with the rings.

“No worse than my taste in men,” she laughed as he growled at her. She spun away from him and carried the bag into the bathroom, telling him she’d be out in a minute.

Shaking his head and growling at himself for being so insecure, (Didn’t take much to turn you back into poncy William, did it?) Spike went into the spare room and shrugged off his duster. He removed his boots, pants and shirt and slid between the crisp sheets. When he heard Buffy open the bathroom door he glanced up expecting to see her in her tee shirt again. Instead, she came into the room hesitantly, her voluminous nightgown sweeping the floor.

The vampire stared at her open-mouthed as she slowly approached the bed. She looked at him anxiously, wondering if he would understand what she was trying to get across. When his shocked look gave way to a happy smile and he held out his hand to her, she knew he had understood.

“This your way of telling me we’re still Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair when we’re in the bedroom, pet?” he asked, pulling her gently onto the bed and into his arms. “Cause I’ve got to tell you, that’s the only reason I’m not ripping this tent to shreds.”

“I…I don’t want you to tear it up,” she said shyly.

“Why not? I’ll get you something from Victoria’s Secret. Hell, I’ll get you a closet full of nighties. Soon as we send the bloody poofter back where he belongs.”

“I want to keep it. It reminds of a time when…when I was really happy.”

She raised her eyes to see to see a mixture of fear and happiness in the depths of his blue stare.

“You still don’t think we can be happy here, love?” He touched her face lightly with his free hand, stroking his knuckles down her soft cheek.

Her heart lurched at the pained acceptance in his voice, and she quickly turned her head to kiss his knuckles reassuringly.

“I…” She dropped her eyes, not sure how or even if she should say what she was thinking. “I think I could be happy almost anywhere, if you were there with me,” she said softly. “But it isn’t going to be the same here. I know it and you know it. Giles was right. We’re not really married. To everybody here, we’re just two friends who happened to get stuck in the past together for a while. We can’t just start living together. This is real life, not make believe. I’m just afraid…”

“You’ve got nothing to be afraid of, Buffy,” he said with a tremor in his voice. “I’m here and I will always be here as long as you want me around. We may not be the happily married couple we were back in London, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be together in some way. Not leaving you, pet. Not for all the ex-watchers and axe-wielding mums in the world.”

“Ugh! Mom. You had to remind me,” she grimaced. “I can’t wait for that conversation.”

He laughed lightly and kissed the tip of her nose. “I think your mum might surprise you, love. She’s a smart woman. I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t know exactly how I feel about you. Probably knew it before I did.”

“Yeah, she’s got that whole I’m-the-mom-and-I-see-right-through-you thing going for her,” Buffy admitted with a rueful smile.

“So, let’s not worry about right now, alright? Just get some sleep and tomorrow we’ll suss out who and what we are now.”

He fell back onto the bed, pulling her with him and spooning himself behind her warm body. Buffy sighed contentedly at the familiar feeling of his cool arms around her and began to drift off for a few hours of much-needed sleep. The vampire lay awake for much longer, storing up the memory of her sleeping in his arms in case it was the last time for a while.

He awoke from the doze he’d finally fallen into to find Buffy muttering and tossing the nightgown wrapped tightly around her kicking legs. Remembering that she wanted to keep the gown and knowing that her powerful kicks were going to rip it sooner or later, he tried to untangle it without waking her and without catching a powerful Slayer foot in his face.

He finally worked it loose from where it was caught and began easing it up her legs away from her still restless feet. When his cool hands brushed against her thighs as he pulled the gown up, her muttering turned to a breathy sigh and she stretched her body out completely.

Unable to resist, he lowered his head and kissed the now bare thigh, moving up until his mouth was just resting over the pulse in her femoral artery. He could feel saliva pooling in his mouth as his demon struggled to taste the rich blood flowing so tantalizingly close.

With a groan, he pulled back from her body only to be stopped by a strong hand on the back of his head.

“Do it,” she said, her voice still rough with sleep. “You haven’t had anything to eat since before we left London.”

“Won’t,” he said firmly. “You’re not a bloody meal to me. Just need a second to calm down the demon and I’ll be fine.”

Buffy sat up and pulled the gown the rest of the way off, leaving her as naked as he and just as wanting.

“It doesn’t have to be about having a meal,” she said, shocked at her own boldness. “That could just be a bonus effect.”

When he just stared at her, she moved closer and pulled his head down to her neck gently.

“Or, you could do that claimy thing now.”

“Buffy, my love, sweetheart, darlin’, you really don’t know what you’re asking for.”

“Do you love me?” she asked softly.

“You know I do.”

“Do you want me?”

“Always.”

“Do you want to keep me safe?”

“How can you—“

“Shhh. Will a claiming bite keep Angelus from turning me?”

“As long as I’m alive, it will.” Spike could feel himself weakening as she continued to push.

“Do you want me to be yours?”

She held her breath, waiting for his answer. She actually knew a little more about claiming than she had let on to either Spike or Giles and she knew it could be forever.

“More than anything in the world,” he breathed, giving in and taking her in his arms again.

“Then make it happen,” she whispered back, pressing her body against his. “Make me yours, Spike. Keep me safe.”

Instead of answering her, he captured her lips in a tender kiss that quickly deepened as his tongue traced around her mouth prodding for entrance. His groan as she sucked on his tongue and teased it with her own was evidence of his complete capitulation and he began to run his hands over her body.

Buffy shivered as she felt his cool fingers stroking her breasts, trailing down to her abdomen and caressing the silky skin on the inside of her thighs. Her breath came faster and she moaned as he lightly ran one finger from her already wet entrance up to her clit, spreading the moisture and teasing the swollen nubbin.

Her legs fell apart involuntarily, allowing the scent of her arousal to reach his nose and he groaned again. Tearing his mouth from hers, he followed the path his fingers had made with wet kisses, pausing again at her artery and licking it. He pulled the skin into his mouth and sucked lightly before lightly nicking it with his fang.

The sensation of Spike’s mouth pulling lightly on her blood so close to his still-stroking fingers sent Buffy’s hips arching off the bed and she began to whimper. When he released her skin and moved his mouth to where his fingers had been, her whimpers turned to panting cries as she threw her head back and forth. His strong and talented tongue alternately stabbed into her, touching everywhere it could reach, and emerged to run over her inner and outer lips.

He finally allowed it to caress the needy tissue inside those lips, stroking and sucking on it until he could tell from her panting that she was ready to come. With a final sucking motion, he let his fangs drop and just as she clenched around him, he slipped one razor sharp fang tip into her clit, sucking hard on the blood as he covered her screaming mouth with his free hand.

When she had collapsed bonelessly on the bed, he pulled the tip of his fang out and licked the tiny wound closed, causing another shudder to run through her sated body. He crawled up until his cock was resting at her soaked entrance and, as he had before, asked hoarsely, “May I come in, Buffy?”

As answer, she wrapped her arms and legs around him and pulled him to her, using her supernatural strength to hold him in place. He waited there for a minute, enjoying the feel of her heated walls, the way they held him tightly, squeezing almost to the point of pain.

When he felt she was recovered from her first orgasm, he began gently rocking his hips against her, each time delving a little deeper until she responded to him by pushing back and falling into his rhythm.

He maintained the steady, easy rhythm as long as he could, but soon his demon was taking control and he began pounding harder, his hips pistoning as he tested her slayer strength. A strength that let neither one of them down as she met him thrust for thrust, grinding her pelvis into his and beginning her own build-up to release.

When he could hold back no longer, he placed his mouth on her neck and growled, “Come for me, love. Come for me now. I can’t wait any longer…”

“Do it,” she gasped. “Oh god, Spike! Do it now!”

As he felt her begin to tremble around him, he sank his fangs into the buttery soft skin on her throat and allowed her blood to flow over his tongue. To smother the scream that threatened to burst from her own mouth, Buffy bit down on his shoulder and shook her head back and forth with the force of her orgasm.

The vampire took deep, slow draughts, pulling in blood with his mouth while filling her with his own release. Time seemed to stand still as the two supernatural beings exchanged simultaneous growls of “Mine”. The mutual claim sent rapturous shivers through both vampire and slayer. Buffy felt both William and Spike joining her essence, even as the vampire felt the light and purity of a slayer’s soul entering his body.

When their bodies had stopped shaking and trembling against each other, and Spike was able to raise his head enough to look into her awed eyes, he repeated softly, “Mine.” Buffy met his tear-filled eyes and answered clearly, “Yours.” Then she ran her tongue over the torn flesh on his shoulder, tasting the blood oozing there and repeated, “Mine.” “Yours,” he agreed immediately. “Forever yours.”

While invisible magic swirled around the two exhausted lovers, they rolled on their sides and went back to sleep wrapped contentedly in each other’s arms.


Riley lay on the dirty floor in the old warehouse, completely unrestrained. He knew was too weak to move fast enough to get away from the powerful vampires lying together on the mattress in the middle of the room. Blood oozed slowly from a dozen bites around his body. None were traumatic enough to cause him to bleed to death, and with chilling clarity he knew that they could keep him alive, but too weak to leave, for as long as they wanted.

He was on his side, his buttocks and rectum too painful from the attentions of Angelus for him to rest comfortably on his back. He gave a ragged cough in place of the laugh that trembled in the back of his throat at the thought. Comfortable. After a long night of being a combination toy and meal for the three vampires, he was more than willing to settle for lack of new agonizing pain as a substitute for actual comfort.

He felt his heart begin to pound in fear as Angelus rose from his place between the two naked female vampires and walked over to look down on the trembling man.

“Not so brave without your guns and tasers, are you, boy?” he asked, not really expecting an answer. “Not hard to see why the Slayer would leave you for Spike. Not that my errant grandchilde isn’t going to pay for his arrogance, taking what’s mine like that, but it was certainly a step up from your worthless body.”

“Not pretty like my William,” Drusilla put in from her place on the bed. She licked her lips and began to crawl across the mattress. “He should pay for that naughty chip in my Spike’s head. Made him all soft, it did. Made him love the Slayer. All your fault,” she finished, turning a look on Riley that made his blood run cold. “It’s all your fault he wants the sunshine now.”

“Back off, Dru,” Angelus growled. “I’ve got plans for him and he needs to be able to walk.”

With a shrug and a look that promised future retribution, she threw herself back on the mattress and began to run her fingernails up and down Darla’s bare skin. The blonde vampire stretched like a cat, purring as Dru followed the bloody marks with her tongue. She took her own fingernail and drew a bloody trail from her navel to clit, moaning as the other vampire took the hint and followed that trail with her tongue.

Angelus watched the his women on the bed playing with one another until he was hard enough to turn his attention back to the cringing soldier on the floor. He laughed at Riley’s feeble attempts to get away as he threw himself down, pressing the bleeding body into the floor as he drove into him from behind. When he’d finished, he flipped the sobbing man over and put his mouth over his throat.

“Never done this before, but I need a minion who can go out in the daytime, so you’re the lucky one,” he growled before taking a large, painful bite out of the man’s neck. “Mine” he growled, putting his mark and his claim on the bleeding human. He threw the still alive man back onto the floor, making sure first that he wasn’t going to bleed to death, then returned to the two vampires writhing on the bed.

He laughed as they vied for his attention, idly wondering what it would be like when he had added Buffy to the mix.