Chapter Six

She slipped into the freshly made bed, enjoying the fresh sunshine smell of the new sheets and vowing to get up early and get to work on figuring out how to get home before she became completely spoiled.

A few hours later, she was tossing and moaning as she was immersed in another Slayer dream. This time, she and Spike were walking through a park in the moonlight when suddenly Angelus, Darla and Dru appeared in front of them. Once again, Angelus threw Spike away from her, and once again she could do nothing but shrink away in fear as he ran his hands over her body and licked his lips.

While Drusilla and Darla kept a raging Spike from reaching them, she cowered and cried while Angelus touched her all over and whispered in her ear all the things he was going to do to her. When he lifted the hem of her long gown and slid a hand up her leg, she screamed for Spike, squirming to get away while the vampire struggled with his sire and great grandsire.

She was still screaming, “No, no, Spike, help me!” when she realized that she was still in her bed and the vampire in question was holding her tightly and trying to wake her up.

When she relaxed and slumped into his arms, he loosened his hold and began rubbing small, soothing circles on her back. As soon as he was sure she was awake and under control, he reluctantly let his arms slide down and off, moving off the bed to give her some space.

“You alright, pet?” he asked softly.

Buffy nodded tiredly. “Yes, I’m fine now. Thank you,” she added softly, looking up at his concerned face gratefully. “I don’t know what’s going on.”

“Was it the same dream?’

“Not exactly, but it was the same situation – I couldn’t do anything to defend myself, you were trying to help me but you couldn’t get to me…” She stopped and looked up at him. “Spike, I need to go kill something. I need to know I’m still the Slayer, not some fragile little girl that...”

He stroked her hair tenderly, confusing them both, then said, “You’re still the Slayer, pet. I’d bet on it. Here, why don’t you hit me?” he asked, only half joking. “I’ll tell you if it feels like a Slayer’s punch or like a little girl’s.”

“I don’t want to hit you,” she said wearily, causing him to put his hand on her forehead in a mock attempt to take her temperature. “Very funny,” she growled, shoving him away hard enough to put him on the floor.

“Oops?” she said meekly as he glared up at her from several feet away.

He stood up and shook himself, growling softly, “I guess we can agree you’re still the Slayer, strength an’ all.”

Buffy looked up at him apologetically. “I’m sorry, Spike. Really I am. And I’m sorry I woke you up again. I’ll be fine now. You can go back to sleep.”

She slid back into the bed and pulled the covers up to her chin.

“See? All tucked in and ready for non-dreamy sleep.”

He shook his head with a soft laugh and said, “Ok, luv, but if Angelus comes around this time, how about if you put a stake through his miserable heart, yeah?”

“K,” she said with a smile. “One dusty Angelus coming up.”

In spite of her brave words to Spike, she didn’t close her eyes for a long time, only shutting them when exhaustion forced her into another troubled sleep. Before long she was moaning and crying again as she found herself held immobile by some force that left her unable to move but wide awake. When she realized she was naked, her heartbeat went up as fear seized her body. There was no surprise this time when Angelus stepped out of the shadows and leered at her frozen face and the panicked eyes looking back at him.

“What do you think, Will?” he threw over his shoulder. “Looks right tasty all spread out like that doesn’t she?”

Buffy’s eyes followed his voice to the other side of the room where a battered and bleeding Spike was chained to the wall, his demon snarling in impotent rage. Angelus laughed at his grandchilde, then moved toward the bed, beckoning Darla and Drusilla forward as he did so.

“I guess Will doesn’t want to play,” he said, laughing cruelly. “But he can watch us.”

Dru moved closer to Buffy, meeting the Slayer’s frightened eyes with an almost lucid gaze. She leaned in and whispered in Buffy’s ear, “Don’t worry, Sunshine. William takes good care of his things. He won’t let Daddy have you. You just have to tell him—“ She stopped abruptly as Angelus yanked her away.

“Quit babbling nonsense, Dru,” he growled, backhanding her across the room to crumple beside Spike’s struggling body. “The chit is mine and after I get tired of fucking her unconscious, I’m going to turn her and add her to our little family. William will just have to get used to it.”

Darla had been running her sharp claws down Buffy’s body while Angelus was disciplining Dru. Buffy hissed at the pain as the blond vampiress left bloody trails from Buffy’s nipples to her knees. She leaned over and ran her tongue up from Buffy’s knee to her breast, licking the blood as she went. Angelus moved to the other side, applying his own tongue to the bloody line on that side and moving up to her bleeding breast. He ran his tongue around her nipple, then suddenly sank his fangs into it causing Buffy to scream in fear and pain.

She could hear Spike raging against the chains holding him while Dru rocked herself and sang about Sunshine and Slayers. It briefly crossed Buffy’s mind that if Dru actually wanted to be helpful, she could let Spike loose, but she knew the dark-haired vampire would never disobey her “daddy” no matter how insane she might be.

When Angelus stood up and undid his pants, allowing Buffy a glimpse of his rather modestly-sized cock, she began to scream in earnest, tears of fear and frustration pouring down her face as she fought whatever drug or magic was keeping her from moving. The big vampire leered at her and knelt between her knees, forcing her to look at him as he stroked himself and stared at her exposed sex.

Spike burst into the room just as Buffy’s screams were reaching a crescendo, picking her immobile body up and speaking into her ear, “Slayer! Buffy! Come on, luv. Come back to me. Wake up, Buffy. Wake up. I’m here. I’ve got you, luv. Spike’s got you, pet. Come on,” he pleaded as she continued to cry and moan. “Wake up, luv, Please. Wake up for me.”

Buffy’s heart was beating so fast he was afraid it was going to break out of her chest and he tried frantically to bring her back from whatever was frightening her so badly. Where once, the smell of fear on this slayer would have made his mouth water, now he just wanted to make it go away.

Afraid that her screams would awaken Molly, Spike sought for a way to smother her cries before he had to deal with more explanations than he cared to. Finally, frustration took over and he fastened his mouth on hers, swallowing the sounds she was making and willing her to calm down. To his surprise, her lips began to respond to the cool pressure he was exerting and the terrible sounds tapered off to soft moans.

He felt her body shudder and then go limp in his arms as her lips continued to press back against his. He softened his mouth, no longer feeling the need to swallow her cries, and began kissing her gently, murmuring soothing things to her in between light kisses. When she began to stir and he felt the light flutter of her eyelids, he pulled his mouth away and looked down at her carefully.

“Slayer? Buffy? Are you back with me, luv? Gave me quite a scare there, you did.”

“Spike?” Buffy’s voice was raw and scratchy, her expression disoriented. “Are you really here?”

“Course I’m here, pet. Where else would I be? Wouldn’t leave you there, luv.”

Buffy slumped against him, not caring that she was wearing nothing but a light muslin nightgown that was twisted around her hips. She briefly noted that he was not wearing his jeans, but seemed to be wearing a large shirt made out of the same fabric as her gown. She spent several minutes just basking in the safe feeling she got with his strong arms around her and letting her heart rate go back to normal. When she felt more like herself, she took note of the fact that he was rubbing her back soothingly with one hand, while he cradled her in his other arm and dusted light kisses all over her closed eyelids, nose and cheeks. All the while, murmuring reassurances to her that he was there and nothing was going to hurt her.

As wonderful and safe as it felt, now that the dream was fading she was ashamed of her reaction and she struggled to sit up straight and look in control of things. Which did her no good at all, as the vampire took her by the shoulders and forced her to look at him. In the dim light all she could see was the amber glow of his eyes as he used his vampire senses to check her over.

“Now, Slayer,” he growled, giving her a little shake, “You’re going to tell me everything about these soddin’ dreams you’re having. I want to know what can turn the strongest, bravest Slayer I’ve ever met into a…a…”

“Crybaby?” Buffy suggested wearily.

“Wasn’t going to say that, pet,” he said gruffly, “but, yeah, what’s with all the waterworks and screaming? Was it Angelus again?”

She nodded dumbly, unwilling to even say the name. “And Dru and Darla.”

“What was he doing to you? Was the bastard torturing you? Did he kill you? Turn you?”

“He hadn’t quite got to that part of his plan yet,” she answered dully, looking away from his probing stare. She really didn’t want to tell Spike what Angel had been doing to her, but he wasn’t giving up.

“Tell me,” he said grimly, his voice suddenly hard and cold. He had a pretty good idea what he was going to hear, but he wanted to hear it just the same.

“It didn’t happen. It was just a dream. Let’s just drop it.”

“Let’s not and say we did,” he said firmly. “I want you to tell me what was going on – in both dreams.” He titled her chin up to look into her eyes. “And I want to know everything, every bloody detail. If these dreams are prophetic, we need to suss out what they’re trying to tell you.”

“I really don’t want to talk about this,” she said, trying to move away from him.

“Don’t care,” he said stubbornly.

Buffy took a deep breath and in a flat, uninflected voice she recited the two dreams, even including Dru’s cryptic whisper in her ear before Darla and Angelus went at her. When she got to Angelus opening his pants a guttural snarl was ripped from Spike’s throat and she almost flinched away from him in fear before she realized it wasn’t her he was snarling at.

“Where the bleedin’ hell was I?” he demanded, his voice almost shaking with emotion.

“You were chained to the wall. You couldn’t get loose and I couldn’t move anything except my face. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so helpless – and then he…and I screamed and then you were here and I was awake and….oh, Spike, he was going to…going to rape me and then turn me. And I couldn’t do anything about it.”

As she finished speaking, she began trembling and he immediately pulled her back into his lap, doing his best to soothe her while his demon was screaming to be let out to kill something. Flashbacks to tales of how Angelus had tortured Drusilla for months before finally turning her, made him tremble in fear for the slight figure in his arms.

The feel of Spike’s arms and the surprisingly reassuring rumble of the low growls coming from his chest soon calmed Buffy down and she pushed herself away again.

“What the hell is wrong with me? I’m the Slayer. I’ve been stabbed, bitten, tortured… hell, I’ve even been dead for a few minutes. Why is this dream scaring me so badly?”

“Because it’s the poof?” Spike ventured. “And because you think it might be a warning.”

“I guess,” she sighed. “I wish Giles was here to help me figure out what the dream is trying to tell me,” she grumbled. “I’m all action girl; he’s all researchy guy.”

She peered up at Spike from under the curtain of hair hanging in her face. “What do you think they mean?”

“That you have bleedin’ awful taste in boyfriends?” he teased, pleased to see the tiny smile she couldn’t hide.

“Well, then, what does that say about you, husband?” she teased back, beginning to feel more like herself with every second.

“Clearly, it says that your taste has improved tremendously in the past few days.”

They smiled at each other for a few seconds; then Spike pushed her gently back down on the bed. When he covered her up, then laid himself down beside her she frowned and, in a much squeakier voice than she intended, asked, “What are you doing?”

“Saving m’self another sprint from my room to yours, is what, pet. Now close your eyes and let’s try to salvage something from what’s left of this night.”

He extended his left arm and pulled her against chest ignoring the stiffening of her body. When she realized he was only trying to provide a sense of security for her while she slept, Buffy relaxed against him. She was quickly lulled to sleep by the soft purring sounds coming from the vampire’s chest and spent the rest of the night in a restful and dreamless sleep.