Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to Eve for her Beta...ing work...
Chapter 2


“Angel, is that what I think it is? No, we must be hearing things; she can’t be as far as I know. I’m the only person she slept with in the last 18 months at least. Before that it was the bloody captain cardboard and if it was him that knocked her up, it’s a bloody long pregnancy….”

There was a knock at the door and Fred poked her head around. After seeing Buffy laid out on the couch she ran the short distance to help the ill Slayer. Looking at both Angel and Spike she spoke quietly “This is Buffy? I just meet her in the lift, why is she passed out on the couch?

“Well you see the thing is...” Spike began to say; just then Buffy began to stir. “Buffy, kitten, it’s your Spike, wake up baby.” He wanted to touch her and help her but his hands just passed straight though her. “Fred, do something. I can’t help her and that pillock is just standing there like a prat.”

“Spike calm down. Angel can you get Buffy some water please. Buffy wake up Honey, you okay?” Fred helped the Slayer sit up and took the water Angel offered. ”Just take small sips now!” she warned as Buffy spluttered on the cold water.

Buffy took in the tiny bits of information her muddled mind was letting through. Spike was here in Angel’s office, but he was dead, a ghost, how could that be? She didn’t want him to be dead she needed him alive, well not exactly alive, but as near as he could be. Dam it! “Angel, how long has Spike been here?” she began glaring at the two vampires.

“Well you see… the thing is …I was going to call you but…”Angel couldn’t look Buffy straight in the face as he began to explain why he hadn’t called her to tell her of Spike’s sudden return 3 days earlier.

“Don’t start lying Angel! I know you too well; you thought if you didn’t tell me Spike was back, that I would turn to you in the end. Well I’ve got news for you buster, it isn’t ever gonna happen. I might have inferred that you may have stood a chance the last time I saw you, but things change, I love Spike, not you! I’m finished baking; now I’m cookies and I choose Spike to get every little crumb.”

“Kitten, don’t just blame Angel…”

“Shut up Spike! Don’t think you’re off the hook either; your back here and you don’t call, you don’t tell Angel to call, you utter bastard! I spent the last 22 days crying over your worthless hind and all the time you’re here with Angel.”

“Goldilocks, not all the time, just the last three days, I’ve been trying to get to you, honestly, ask anyone here, ask Harmony, Wesley, Gunn, Fred even that green fella what’s his bloody name! Oh bollocks!”

This was it. She just couldn’t take any more. Buffy broke down again, tears poured from her and she started to sob loudly. “Spike, I said I love you and you didn’t believe me, I do love you, please believe me, I do, I do love you.”

Spike couldn’t help himself, he ran towards Buffy to comfort her, but he forgot that he was a ghost and as he went to cuddle her, he fell straight through her. There was an almighty bang and smell of electrical discharge in the air; Buffy was slumped on the couch and unconscious again, while Spike was lying behind Angel desk in a similar state.

Fred went over to Buffy and Angel went around his desk to see what had happened to Spike. There was a knock at the door and Gunn and Wesley came in.

“Dear Lord, what in earth’s name is going on here? Why is Buffy here? What is wrong with her?

Angel answered both of Wesley’s questions rather abruptly. “Can’t you see? She is unconscious you igit. She came to see me but my brainless grand childe couldn’t wait, so that I could break it gently to her that he was back, no he had to charge in as usual. The boy just has no patience, never had and never will. HARMONY! HARMONY!”

Harmony peaked around the door “Yes boss?” She almost whispered, “What do you need, I’ve requested the refreshments 5 minutes ago.”

“Get a medical team down here to help Fred. It seems that Spike is now corporeal again and he’s spilt his head open too. Plus I can smell blood on Buffy.”

“Yes Angel, I’ll do it straight away.” She wasn’t going to get staked over this. Her Blondie Bear may be a little sick in the head over the Slayer, but it was his choice, all she had to do was follow Angel’s orders and get the medical team. “Can you get a medical team straight away to Angel office, the Slayer and my Blondie bear have been injured some how.”

Back in the office Spike was waking up “Buffy? What’s going on? Buffy, are you there sweet pea? Ow my head, what the fuck is going on Angel? Buffy answer me!” As he sat up he felt the blood from the spilt in his head run down his neck. He felt with his hand and it came back bloody. Looking at it, then at Angel he spoke again “Angel, I’m bleeding, how can I be bleeding? I’m a bloody ghost. Where is Buffy? Why hasn’t she answered me?”

Angel helped him to his feet. “She is unconscious again. What ever happened that turned you corporeal again has knocked her out.”

“Help her Fred, she’s pregnant and I’ve got this strange feeling that it could be mine…” Spike’s mind was racing along. She hadn’t slept with anyone else only him; the baby she was carrying must be his. Did she even know she was pregnant, she hadn’t said so, just that she had been feeling unwell since he had died. Surely Giles had realised it wasn’t just grief that was making her ill. She hadn’t been ill after her mother had died.

“Okay Spike, I’m doing everything I can. Look, here’s the medical team, go with them and get your head sorted out. We will move Buffy to the hospital wing too.”

“I’m not going anywhere without her Fred. Nowhere at all. She needs me. Baby, come on, wake up.” Spike went over to where the love of his whole existence lay on the couch. Listening carefully he could still hear the rapid heartbeat of Buffy’s unborn child thumping away, this at least reassured him that nothing was wrong was the child itself.

“Spike, get away from her, your getting blood all over her and I can still smell her own blood too. Where’s it coming from Fred?” Angel wasn’t too happy at what Buffy had said to him. How could she not love him anymore, it was impossible, she had to love him, not that dim witted guttersnipe of a grand childe Spike. God, he wished he had staked him when Drusilla had brought him home after his turning. None of this would have ever happened if he had …

“Angel I don’t know where she is bleeding from; we have to get her to the hospital wing as soon as possible. Can you help Spike please, I think he’s a little shocked from the turn of events.”

Angel looked from his grand childe to the downed Slayer and back again “Come on Spike, let’s go. “ He grabbed at Spike and started to pull him away roughly. He was covering Buffy with the blood from his head. “Spike, come on, I told you to get away from her!” this time he used the authority of his sire’s voice over Spike, knowing he had to comply with his wishes.

Spike turned towards Angel “Let me fuckin’ go you wanker!” he pulled himself free from Angel's grip and turned to the meds which were laying Buffy down on the stretcher, “Careful, be very careful because I’m feeling very hungry you pillocks!” Spike was angry with Fred and Angel. Why weren’t they helping Buffy, she could be bleeding to death for all they knew. “Fred, where the fuckin’ hell is all this blood coming from?” with that Spike did no more than pull the front of Buffy’s shirt open to revel the large and still unhealed wound than the Turok–Han had given her as they closed the Hellmouth.” Fred this should have healed by now. It’s been there since we were in the Hellmouth.”

“Okay Spike, please calm down. If you had a heartbeat it would be going ten to the dozen at the moment. I’m going to get her to the infirmary now, okay? Guys take the stretcher and try not to move it too much, very careful. I don’t want the wound to open up even more. Angel, bring Spike can you? And by the way Angel, please change back to normal before you leave here. You have slipped into game-face.”

Looking at both, Spike and Fred, Angel growled slightly then shook his head to change back, but he found it hard as the smell of Buffy’s Slayer blood was thick in the air and the room just reeked of it. ”Come on Spike, lets get Buffy to the hospital wing and for gods sake stop bleeding all over the shag pile, will you? Fred, give the stupid igit something to put on his head.”

After what seemed like an eternity Spike started to move towards the doors on the other side. Harmony was also having trouble with the smell of the Slayer’s blood “Um boss? I need to pop out, is that okay?” Harmony really didn’t want Spike and Angel to see that she couldn’t control her demon right now; especially with the bad mood they both seem to be in.

“Okay Harmony, just get out of here. But call a cleaning crew first. My office stinks of Slayer blood and William has bled all over the floor.” With that Angel took the stake he kept in his waistband and threatened Spike with it “Spike, come on, I’m losing my patience with you now!”

Spike growled at his sire again, but followed him and Fred to the infirmary with Buffy still unconscious but starting to rouse from the state she was in “Spike?”

“I’m here, baby, I’m here. We’re taking you to the infirmary now, lay still, okay?” Spike held Buffy’s hand as they proceeded through the maze of halls to the infirmary, Fred leading the way followed by the orderlies with Buffy and Spike, Angel, Gunn and Wesley bringing up the rear of this strange procession.

Once in the infirmary Fred call to her assistant to clean up Spikes head as she started to clean the wound on Buffy stomach.” Um Buffy, how long have you been feeling unwell? Angel said you were sick? “Fred gently questioned the very confused Slayer.

“Well it started the morning after the Hellmouth closed, but I put it down to grief for that idiot over there. You know he just can’t stay dead, he had to show up here and scare me to death in the process.” Buffy pointed at the worried vampire and started to giggle. No her vampire couldn’t stay dead. She should have known she couldn’t get rid of him that easily. Holding out her arms she beckoned him to her again “I love you and don’t tell me I don’t again, do you hear me…”

Angel couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Buffy must be delusional. She didn’t love Spike. She loved him and only him. She was his soul mate. ”Fred, help her, she must have really banged her head. She is my soul mate, if she is cookies now, then that means she is mine!”

Swinging around, duster flaring out behind him Spike shouted “What the fuck are you on about, if she cookies now she’s yours? I didn’t know Buffy belonged to anyone. You don’t have any claim on her unless you call that ragged bite mark a claim, because man, that is some sorry state to leave a claiming mark in. “

“Of course is that my claim mark, what do you think?” Angel fuming if he had had a temperature there would have been steam blowing from his ears.

“Oh and I bet Buffy acknowledged it while you were draining her dry, I don't think so mate.”

“Stop right now the both of you; I happen to be sitting right here you know? If you keep this up I’m out of here right now, and you two can fight with each other till the cows come home.” As she started to get her self off the stretcher Buffy winced with pain shocking both vampires.

“Buffy …” Both the vampires rushed forward towards her to help her sit back on the stretcher. “Buffy will you just let Fred see to you and behave like a good girl? You’ll hurt yourself and the baby…” There, it was out before Angel could stop himself he’d called Buffy a girl and told her of the child she was carrying.

“Angel get the fuck away from me, I’m not pregnant and I most certainly not a girl anymore. I’m bloody 22 years old not a little child. Spike, tell him I’m not a child and you love me…

“You know I love you, I’ll always love you and I’ll always want you too kitten.” Spike took Buffy’s hands in his and continued to talk “But Buffy, Angel’s right. You are carrying a child, we’re not sure how or why but I’m pretty sure that it mine too, baby…” he lent in to take her mouth in his and kissed her deeply only pulling away when she needed to breath. “ I love you Buffy and the child your carrying even if it isn’t mine, please let me look after you for now and eternity…”Spike looked deeply into Buffy eyes trying to find her answer to his request and then after what seem like years of waiting she spoke.

“Did you just ask me to be your Mate?” Oh she already knew what her answer was going to be, she just needed him to say the exact words and ask him straight out. “Spike, ask again please.”

“Yes Buffy, I’m asking you to be my mate for now and eternity. I’m asking that you’ll never leave me alone again; that you’ll never look to anyone else for comfort and affection. I need you Buffy please consent to be my mate and I’ll worship you forever and ever, I’ll never let anyone hurt you again…” Spike almost pleaded his request. He so badly need her to say yes, he didn’t know what he would do if she would refuse him…

“YES! I’ll be your mate and I’ll mate with you…” Memories flooded back of the spell that Willow had mess up and they had become engaged but this time there was no spell. Spike loved her and she him…

Tbc………