All-chapters disclaimer: BtVS does not, by any means, belong to me, it belongs to Joss Whedon, ME, and Fox studios. Not me. Ever. If they belonged to me, it would have ended a LITTLE bit differently lol

Well, this is it. I've decided to try my luck at TSR. I hope you like my first story. Thanks for all of my spuffy friends (lol) that helped me throughout the process of writing this one. Special thank yous to Vampgirly for beta-reading all chapters. Love ya, girl!

Prologue: The big "BUT"

Buffy Summers stared at her step-father’s attorney, Wesley Wyndham-Price, with her mouth wide open. Buffy was, as she had been for the last hour, in Wesley's office discussing her late step-father's will.

“Ummm… Ms. Summers, are you okay?” he asked.

Buffy shut her mouth and stared at him like he was nuts.

“Yes… yes, I’m perfectly fine, but… could you repeat what you just said?” Buffy was confused with the news Wesley had just given her, to say the least. She was touched that Giles had made provision for her in his will, but she was very confused…

“Well, it seems that when your step-father recently updated his will, he left you the pent-house where he used to live before he married your mother…” that was the part that made Buffy touched: that Giles had thought to leave her the pent-house “BUT, he specified in this clause here” he pointed to said clause with his finger “that to get the apartment, AND the share of the money he left you, you must share the apartment with his other beneficiary, his nephew William.” and THAT, was the part that created confusion.

Buffy sighed, **Why would Giles want me to share an apartment with someone I’ve never met? Why can’t I just get my things and live in peace?**

Buffy was still dealing with her dear step-father’s recent death, and to add the fact that she was going to have to share the apartment with a total stranger was just plain distressing.

“Isn’t there any way that we could get around that clause?” she asked, hopefully.

“I’m sorry, Ms. Summers, but the will has already been legalized, and there’s nothing we can do.” Wesley replied, looking at her with understanding in his eyes, he, too, didn’t understand what Rupert Giles’ intentions were when he'd created the clause.

Poor Buffy was still grieving for her step-father, and with the mysterious clause, she couldn’t even take what he had left her and continue to heal her heart. Instead she was now having to make even more changes to her life by preparing to negotiate sharing the rights on the penthouse with someone she had never even met.

Buffy sighed and looked at Wesley with a tired look in her eyes “Well, what do I have to do?” she asked, infuriated by this whole situation.

“Well, we have already contacted William, and it seems that he completely agrees with the arrangement…” Wesley suddenly remembered something he should have told Buffy from the beginning, something really, rather important.

He proceeded with extreme caution “Well, Buffy, I just remembered something…” He lowered his eyes to the paper in his hands that contained her father’s will. She looked at him strangely, he had called her by her first name, and knowing Wesley, that meant that he was trying to lessen the weight of his next words.

“The clause also defines the sharing of the apartment as “'living with William', for the next month and a half.. also, if either of you refuse to fulfill the clause, the house and the share of the money that belongs to you, will pass either to the beneficiary that doesn’t give up –That would be you, or William--, or, if both of you give up, the money will go to charity centers in Sunnydale.” Wesley lowered his eyes once more to the piece of paper “There’s nothing specifying who takes the apartment after the deadline, so I assume that he wants you to get to an agreement on who keeps the house, or if you’re going to sell it”

Buffy stared at him, and repressed the urge to smash her head repeatedly against a wall.

**Why couldn’t he just leave me the money, and leave the house to William, or viceversa? Well, he just likes to be complicated, doesn’t he? Why, Giles? Why did you do this to me?** Buffy was frustration personified.

Wesley looked at her sympathetically. “I’m really sorry that I can’t do anything, Ms Summers…” said Wesley.

Buffy smiled lightly at him “Don’t worry, Wesley, it’s not your fault, Rupert just likes to play bad jokes on me” she said, while looking at the ceiling **Don’t you, Giles? You just like to see me suffer; just like that time you made me read “Macbeth” and said one of the teachers told you that they were going to make us write a paper about it… All lies… one of your attempts to introduce me to English literature…** Buffy smiled at the memory. She remembered Giles’ face when she had discovered his intentions. He had cleaned his glasses frantically, as he laughed nervously. He was so adorable that she couldn’t do anything but hug him.

**I miss you, daddy… I don’t know why you did this, but I trust you…**

Buffy sighed again, feeling defeated, a sensation she got a lot since her step-father’s loss. After all, he was the loving and supportive father she had never had.

She looked at Wesley and planted a small smile on her face.

“So, when do we start this whole deal then?” she asked, and wondered what this clause was going to bring into her life.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that was it. Hope you liked it. I have more chapters already written, so updates will come quickly. Hope you liked it =) Let me know what you think, so do your thing and review, you guys!

Love ya, see ya soon =P