Author's Chapter Notes:
Don't hate me for the this chapter, she'll be fine.
Disclaimer: The Buffyverse belongs not to me.

Out of the Hellmouth...
Chapter Three: And Into another Mess?

Connor sat in his room, slowly taking a drag from his cigerette. "You know I don't like that Connor," said Angel, looming in the doorway.

"Know? It's half the reason why I do it in the first place...The other half being an addictive personality brought on by severe childhood trauma..." he answered casually before putting the cigerette out on his hand only to have it blister over imeadiantly.

"Funny," retorted Angel sarcastically before sitting down next to his son on the bed, "You are away you're grounded."

"How can you ground someone who's legally an adult?"

"Because you live in my house and you don't act like an adult," answered Angel somewhere between angry and amused.

"Compinsation for a lost youth," Connor said simply with a hint of bitterness in his voice before flicking the butt out the window.

Angel walked up next to him and looked down at the street below.

"They'll never know, will they?" asked Connor almost sadly.

"Who?"

"All those people, they'll never know how much danger they're in or how much we risk and loose to keep them out of it," he said, staring at those five stories down.

"No...they probably won't. But that's what makes it worth doing," said Angel, taking Connor by his sholders, "because we're giving them the gift of innocence."

"Innocence is trivial and fleeting."

"You say that because you've never experienced it," said Angel with a sad sigh.

"Exactly!" responded Connor, anger rising, "How am I supposed to protect the innocent when I don't know what innocence is?!?! How am I supposed to be good enough for Dawn? I can't be the fun, normal teenage guy she wants!"

"Dawn isn't normal either, Connor. She's four and eighteen at the same time and a big blob of energy."

"But she wants normal, Dad!"

"What are you talking about?"

"She wants normal! She wants things to be good and decient and not conected to magick for once! And you know what; she diserves it," he said sadly, "Because she is normal now, the key stuff is in the past and she has a chance to be just a College student with a nice boyfriend and a weird sister...but I can't give her that...I'm never going to be normal."

Angel sighed before pulling Connor back to the bed and stroking his hair. "No...you'll never be normal. Neither will Dawn. We're all special, even when we don't want to be. It's a blessing and a curse, but it's our destiny. Nobody can give Dawn a normal life, not even a human, innocent boy. You might not be able to give her a normal life Con...but you can give her a happy one."

"What if I can't?" he asked, desparing, "I can hardly will myself to be happy. I'm only really happy with her."

"And she's happy with you, you don't have to do anything, son. Who you are makes her happy all on its own.

"I hope so...God, I hope so."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"But how is that even possible?" asked Buffy worriedly as they sat in the conference room, Wesley and Giles debriefing them.

"Well that's what we're trying to figure out, I'm afraid," started Giles, "How the humans and the demons managed to mate is still unknown. All that is known is that the hybrids being produced are able to walk among us in night and daylight...and they're still pure evil."

"Wow...we're fucked."

"Dawn!" exclaimed Buffy.

"No...Little Bit's gotta point," said Spike, "What exactly are these little psuedo demons planing?"

"It's not clear yet. But it can't be good...all that's known is they want something...someone."

"Hey guys," said Connor as he came through the door, "What's up?"

"Not much..." replied Dawn with a sigh, "Just impending doom..."

"So...nothing too out of the ordinary?" asked Connor with a sly smile before sitting next to Dawn.

"Yes, yes: all apocolyptic humor aside, this is actually a problem," said Weasley, obviously aggravated at how much they were getting off topic.

"We know it is sweety," replied Fred in a condescending tone.

"Look Wes, we've got it: big, bad beasties that look like people. Can we get on the whole 'killing them/saving the world' thing?" asked Buffy.

"Right," started Giles, "Well...that's sort of the problem. We're not sure what we can do to defeat them."

"So then, we do the norm: patrol, kill and/or capture, figure out what we can."

"Precisely.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A cemetary...how original for us," said Xander sarcastically as he held Anya to him.

"No mocking old school there, Dude," replied Faith, "It's one of the more useful techniques."

"I know you like Connor, Dawn, but--"

"Love," Dawn interupted her sister as they whispered so the others couldn't hear, "I love Connor."

"Okay...but--"

"Buffy, c'mon, you're dating Spike!" Dawn snapped impatiently, "And Connor's...Demon!"

"Connor's a demon?" asked Buffy, confused, before she saw the slimy green thing behind her. "Oh Shit..."

Suddenly the demons were everywhere and the Scoobies/Fang Gang were fighting at full force. In the midst of the chaos and fighting Buffy managed to see a stake coming towards Spike and did the only thing she could think of, push him out of the way.

Spike stood up, brushed off his coat, and quickly beheaded the demon, "Thanks Love," he said turning around to Buffy.

The blonde slayer lay on the ground, unmoving, the wooden weapon shoved into her stomach, "Buffy?!?"

No answer...blood began to seap into the ground.