Author's Chapter Notes:
I think I got more reviews than usual for the last chap, thank you all! And thanks again Katkin for beta-ing!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Buffy entered the Espresso Pump, looking around the room for Riley, with a bad feeling at the bottom of her stomach. This was the last place on earth she wanted to be right now – she would’ve given anything to be back at Spike’s apartment – but instead, she had agreed to come here to meet up with her ex boyfriend.

God, she was such an idiot! Why couldn’t she just have told Riley to go to hell, to get back to where he came from and never contact her again? She didn’t owe him anything, and she sure as hell wasn’t interested in hearing whatever it was that he wanted to tell her.

The truth was, she had been taken by surprise when he had contacted her, and meeting him one last time so that he then would leave her alone for good had sounded like the best thing to do at the time. Now, she wasn’t so sure anymore. What if she listened to what Riley had to say, and then he still wouldn't go away?

And then there was Spike. Buffy had decided to tell him about Riley wanting to meet her as soon as she’d hung up the phone. Spike had taken it surprisingly well – he’d just told her to do what she had to do, and then come back to him. However, he’d said the last part with a pleading note in his voice, and she couldn’t help but feel bad about the whole thing.

What was she doing here? This was a bad idea, what had she been thinking? She should be at home with Spike, not here waiting for her ex. No, the right thing to do was getting out of here before Riley showed up, and get home to Spike and apologizing for leaving in the first place. Having made up her mind, she headed towards the exit. She was just about to step through the door, when…

“Buffy! There you are, I’ve been waiting.”

Buffy’s face fell and she closed her eyes in despair. Great! Not bothering to smile at Riley, she just gave him a tired look. “All right. What did you want to talk about?”

Riley on the other hand smiled softly. “You look beautiful.” Not getting a reaction from her, he sighed. “Could you at least pretend to be happy to see me?”

Buffy snorted. “I don’t lie, Riley. That’s what you’re good at.”

Having the decency to look ashamed, Riley took a step towards her. “Buffy…”

She quickly took a step back. “Don’t touch me. Just drop the nice act, Riley. What do you want?”

Riley looked at her for a moment, then obviously decided to change his tactics. “Okay, why don’t we sit down? I hope you don’t mind, but I took the liberty to order some breakfast for us.” He pointed to a nearby table. “Chocolate chip pancakes?” He smiled, clearly misreading the look she gave him. “I remember what you like.”

She crossed her arms over her chest. “I’m not hungry.”

Not able to hide his frustration anymore, Riley’s smile disappeared. “Fine. Will you just sit down and listen, then? Please?”

Rolling her eyes, Buffy walked over to the table and sat down without a word. Riley sat down next to her. He was just about to open his mouth to speak, when she held up her hand to stop him. “Look, Riley, before you say anything, I want you to listen to me. The only reason I’m here is because this seems to be the only way to get rid of you. I’m not interested in us ever getting back together again, and nothing you’ll tell me is going to change that.”

Riley look annoyed, but didn’t say anything. Buffy went on. “I’m seeing someone else now. I’m happy, Riley, happier than I ever was when we were together. And if you’ve ever cared about me at all, then you’ll just accept that, and move on with your life.”

Nodding slowly, Riley raised a brow in question. “Are you done?” Buffy nodded with a sigh. “Okay, here’s what I got to tell you. Spike’s not who you think he is, Buffy. I had someone checking him up, and…”

Buffy didn’t even let him finish the sentence before jumping up from the chair, staring at Riley in shock and disbelief. “You what?! Are you completely…!”

“Wait! Just hear me out. I’m telling you this with your best interest in mind, believe me.” Riley got up as well, putting his hand on Buffy’s arm to prevent her from leaving.

Shaking his hand away, Buffy glared at him, furiously. “Don’t touch me, you asshole! Just who the hell do you think you are, Riley?! What gives you the right to…?! God, I’m so out of here!” Before Riley could say another word, she rushed towards the door, fuming with anger.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Spike sat in the living room in front of the TV, trying to focus on his favorite show, Passions, but found it hard to concentrate on what went on at the screen. Buffy should’ve been back by now; she’d told him she wouldn’t be gone for more than an hour.

How could he be so bloody stupid, letting her just run off like that to see her ex? Of course, it was her decision, not his, but why did he have to pretend to be so damn understanding about it? What he really wanted to do was begging her not to go, but that wouldn’t be very manly now, would it?

He wasn’t a complete git, he knew Riley wanted Buffy back. But he also knew that he should trust her; Buffy was his girl now; she didn’t want Riley anymore. Surely, she’d come bursting through the door any minute now. Right?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~



“Buffy, wait!” Having taken off right after her when she left the diner, Riley grabbed her arm to stop her.

Buffy spun around in the middle of the parking lot, glaring at him furiously. “Take your hand off me! I’m warning you, Riley, you don’t wanna mess with me. Here’s what’s going to happen. You’re gonna go back to LA, today, and we’re gonna pretend this conversation never happened.”

Shaking his head, almost sadly, Riley gave her a stubborn look. “You promised to hear me out. That was the deal. You were going to listen to me, then I’d leave, if you still wanted me to.”

Buffy was enraged. “Yeah, well, deal’s off! How dare you, Riley? I’m so mad right now, I could just…!” She let out a frustrated groan. “You know what? Just get out of my way.” She started to leave, but Riley refused to give up.

As a last desperate attempt to keep her from walking away from him, Riley stepped in front of her, looking her right in the eyes. “Just tell me one thing, Buffy. What will you think of your precious new boyfriend when you’ll find out that he’s been reported to the police, for attempted rape?”


TBC