Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so happy for all the lovely reviews I've received so far. Thank you all!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Spike stared after the blonde girl who had been talking to Angel, seeing her quickly excuse herself and leave. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Had this been a couple of months ago, he would definitely have gone after her. But now, his priorities had changed. Besides, the only way any girl would ever look at him was as a potential one-night-stand – he had learned that the hard way. Surely this one wouldn’t be any different from any of the countless others he had met and brought home. Right?

As the girl moved out of his sight, Spike turned back to his friends. Angel, his face a perfect picture of annoyance, scowled at him. The other two, Xander and Charles Gunn, watched them with amusement. Spike fought to put an innocent expression on his own features. “What?”

Xander chuckled. “Oh, nothing. I just bet you’re glad now you came along tonight, right?”

Gunn let out a low whistle. “Dude, that chick was hot! You’re lucky, man!”

Angel didn’t say a word. Spike looked from Xander to Gunn in confusion. “What the bloody hell are you on about?”

Gunn grinned. “She wants you! You should go talk to her.”

Spike shook his head, firmly. “That’s bollocks! She barely looked at me, besides, she left, remember?”

“Yeah, she did. After mentally undressing you! What are you waiting for, play your cards right and you’ll be getting laid tonight!” Xander was practically bouncing up and down, and Spike glared at him.

“Not interested.”

Gunn snorted. “Whatever, man. I’m telling you, you’re making a big mistake.” Looking behind Spike, he spotted a couple of attractive girls who seemed to be heading for the dance floor. “Excuse me, duty calls!” He jumped up and hurried after them. Angel followed, the brooding expression slowly leaving his face.

Spike took a large swig of his beer, hoping that Xander would change the subject. But no, of course not, like with everything else to do with him, his friend didn't drop the bone. “What’s your problem, Spike? We’re supposed to be having fun tonight and you’ve hardly said two words to anyone, let alone any of us.”

Sighing, Spike emptied his bottle before answering. “Sod off, will ya? Told you I didn’t feel like coming out tonight. I’m not interested in shagging some daft bint who just happened to look my way. No matter how hot she is.”

Xander suddenly got a serious expression on his face. “I’ve never seen that girl before; she must be new in town. Why don’t you give her a chance? She could surprise you.” Spike opened his mouth to say something, but Xander raised his hand and went on; “You know, there are some decent girls left in the world. You just have to find them.”

Spike stared at his long time friend in bewilderment. “What are you…?” Then he shook his head, as if to clear it. “Let me get this straight. You think I should go talk to her?” Xander nodded, eagerly. “What if she doesn’t…?”

Xander interrupted him. “I saw the look she gave you, man. Gunn’s right. She wants you. Go!”

For a moment, Spike didn’t know what to do. He really didn’t feel like being rejected again, but on the other hand, what if this girl was different? Truth to be told, even though he hadn’t even talked to her, he just felt there was something special about her. Something that made him want to chase after her and start reciting bloody poetry.

Seriously, what was the worst thing that could happen? The only thing she could do in reality was turn around and tell him to go to hell, but he was used to that. It hadn’t happened with a girl in a while though, but that was probably only because he hadn’t given them the opportunity.

He took a deep breath, and got up. “Right. Wish me luck.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Willow looked relieved when Buffy finally returned. “There you are! I was starting to think you’d abandoned me… aaah!” She let out a yelp as Buffy almost tackled her to the floor.

“Willow! Who is that?”

Trying to see exactly who her friend was pointing at, Willow grimaced. “Buffy, I see at least fifty people in that direction. You have to be more specific!”

Buffy rolled her eyes, grabbed Willow’s arm and pulled her up on her feet. “Come on!” She dragged her reluctant friend with her until they came up behind a large, concrete pole. Buffy peeked around it, a look of panic on her face at first, then smiling widely as she spotted ‘her’ gorgeous man in the crowd.

“That guy over there. The one with the bleached blonde hair and leather duster. Please tell me you know his name, I’m dying here!”

Willow’s eyes widened. “Wow. I didn’t think he’d come here anymore. Haven’t seen him around in ages. You see the guy sitting next to him? That’s Xander Harris. I had this huge crush on him when we were kids, but then he stole my barbie, and…”

“That’s cute, but save that story for later? Focus, Willow! Who’s the other guy?”

“That’s William Pratt, though he goes by the name of Spike now. Don’t ask me why, ‘cause I really don't know. We went to school together; he was really nice. He was also one of the smartest guys in school.”

Buffy frowned. “Was?”

Willow shrugged. “Well, he’s changed a lot since then. He was sort of a geek, and then he turned into a hottie practically over night. I’m sure he’s still nice, though. Why don’t you go over there and talk to him?”

“No, I couldn’t. God Willow, look at him! Have you ever seen a pair of eyes so blue? And those cheekbones…” She stopped, frozen in place. “What is he doing? He’s leaving! No, he’s just going to the bar. He just passed the bar. He’s coming over here! Oh God!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Spike headed for the spot where he had last seen the blonde girl. He had finally made up his mind; he would go over there and talk to her. If she seemed nice, he would offer to buy her a drink and maybe ask for a dance. He couldn’t remember the last time he had been this nervous.

He looked around the room, trying to locate the mysterious girl. Finally he saw her, standing half behind a concrete pole, looking in his direction. Spike smiled to himself as he started towards her.

Suddenly feeling a hand on his shoulder, Spike turned around with a frown. His heart sank when he realized who was standing in front of him. She was the last person he had wanted to run into tonight. He hadn’t seen her for a while, but she looked just the same, having not changed a bit. The girl failed to notice the look of irritation that crossed his face, or more likely, she had chosen to simply ignore it, certain to get what she wanted as usual, whatever that may be.

Her eyes lit up and she smiled widely as she threw herself into his arms. “Blondie-bear!”


TBC