Author's Chapter Notes:
AN**Sorry it has been so long since I have updated, the past couple weeks have been pretty crazy. I promise not to wait so long for the next one. I hope you are still reading  A huge thanks to Mari and Jane for beta-ing for me.
Buffy’s heart raced as she walked into the small café. Seeing Willow across the room waving madly, she smiled nervously approaching her two friends. So much had happened in her life lately she wasn’t sure how well she would be able to hide it from two of her best friends. Though truth be told, she had gotten quite good at concealing certain unsavory parts of her life.

“Buffy, it’s so good to see you,” Willow jumped out of her seat enthusiastically embracing her friend.

Buffy fought to suppress her reaction as Willow squeezed her. “Geez Will, it hasn’t been that long.” Buffy quickly released the red head, walking over to the table and giving Tara a hug before taking her seat.

“So, tell us all about your new job.” Willow bounced excitedly in her seat.

Her two friends noticed the smile on Buffy’s face instantly fell. “I-it’s great,” she muttered picking up her menu.

Willow grabbed the menu form that was hiding her friend’s face, “Buffy, don’t hide, and tell me what happened?”

Buffy sighed, looking at the couple. She knew she had to walk a fine line when it came to their friendship. If her friends ever had a clue of the extent of Liam’s abuse, they would have her bags packed within the hour, however she had never told them about her past. A past that forever tied her to her husband. Though she truly considered Willow and Tara her closest friends, she knew she could never tell them the truth.

“Liam changed his mind. He decided he wanted to take things slow.” Buffy shrugged nonchalantly.

“Take things slow? What is that supposed to mean?” Willow narrowed her eyes.

Tara sensing Buffy’s discomfort patted her lover’s arm before saying, “Let Buffy talk, sweetie.”

Buffy took a deep breath, trying to both find the words and keep from getting upset in front of her friends. “Well, Liam decided that we should just sign one author and see how it goes from there.”

“O-kay, did you at least get the author you wanted to sign?” Willow frowned.

“Sp…William Radcliffe? Yes, we signed him.” Buffy answered once again, directing her attention to her menu.

Tara teasingly snatched the menu from her friend, “So…is he as handsome in person as in the pictures I’ve seen of him?”

“Tara!” Buffy gasped.

“What? I’m gay, not blind.” Tara shrugged, earning her a giggle from her lover.

“I don’t know, I guess he looks the same as in his pictures.” Buffy mumbled, shifting in her chair, suddenly very uncomfortable.

“What’s wrong?” Willow asked, studying her friend.

“Nothing,” Buffy answered too quickly.

“Are you not getting along with him?” Tara asked.

“Yes, well no…I mean…it’s just complicated. Listen guys, I’m not feeling very well. Can we just do this some other time?” Buffy stood quickly, grabbing her purse to leave.

“Buffy, what’s wrong? Did I say something…” Willow stood up to follow her friend.

Buffy held up her hand “No, Willow, really, I just feel a little sick. I’m going to go home and lie down. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

Tara and Willow watched their friend as she scurried out of the restaurant. “What do you think that was all about?” the redhead asked her girlfriend.

“I’m not sure, but I have a feeling it has something to do with William Radcliffe,” Tara answered with a sigh.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Spike glared at the blinking cursor on the blank white page. Every time he tried to type, his thoughts returned to Buffy. Part of him was furious with her. Wesley had confirmed that there had indeed been another offer, one that would have allowed him more creative freedom as well as more money. However, his mind kept drifting to the defeated look on her face when she opened the door and the large hand-sized bruises that marred her golden skin.

He picked up his empty glass and flung it toward the wall. Just who did Liam Angeles think he was? No man had the right to put his hands on a woman like that…especially on her. Spike closed his eyes letting his head fall back. What had she done to him? Why did he feel such an overwhelming need to know who she really was? A need to protect her.

Buffy had invaded his thoughts and had even crept into his writing. Now the tall, leggy brunette he had been imagining for his latest story had suddenly become a petite blond with intoxicating eyes and pink pouting lips. Slamming his laptop shut, Spike went to the kitchen in search of liquid solace.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Buffy paused, studying the wrinkled paper in her hands. After her scene in the restaurant with Willow and Tara, she’d decided it was time to take control of things with Spike. He was just a man. She was used to dealing with men. She knew just how to turn on the charm and get exactly what she wanted. There was no reason for her to continue acting like a lovesick teenager every time he came near her. She would turn the tables on him and make him squirm for a change.

A feline smile curved her lips as she smoothed her short skirt and continued down the small path to the pool house.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Spike poured the last of the bottle into his glass and had just raised it to his lips when he heard a knock at the door. He let himself pretend for a moment that it could be Jonathon returning with the list of supplies he had asked for, but he knew it was her.

Opening the door his cock twitched when he saw the sparkle of mischief in her eyes. It was the same look she had given him that first night. His body immediately responded remembering the encounter.

Buffy smiled in satisfaction when she saw his eyes darken as they moved over her body. A warm heat flushed through her as though he was caressing her. She moved past him wordlessly, hoping he wouldn’t notice the small shiver that ran up her spine at the mere thought of his touch.

As she moved past him, her scent surrounded him. He wanted to reach out and touch her, but he knew if he did, he would not be able to control himself. “What do you want?” He asked in a low husky voice, leaning his head against the open door.

“Um…I...uh,” Buffy mentally cursed herself. Calm and cool, she reminded herself. “I found this in with your notes. I wasn’t sure if it should be included or if it was an accident.” She held out the poem, willing her hands not to shake.

Spike’s eyes widened as he saw the paper. He knew without even reading it what it was. “You read it?” he asked taking it from her hands.

“Yeah…I mean, I thought it was part of the story…”

“It wasn’t.”

“I kind of figured,” Buffy looked down suddenly nervous under his intense gaze. She felt him move towards her.

“What did you think of it?”

. I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair, Buffy closed her eyes, still looking down. “I…um…I don’t really like poetry. So I’m not the best person to ask.” She shrugged.

A small smirk tugged at his lips as Spike cocked his head to the side studying her. He stalked towards her lowering his head so that his lips were hovering close to her ear. Buffy could feel his heated breath on her neck and ear. He smelled of whisky and cigarettes. Her breath hitched when she felt his hand brush the hair away from her neck.

“You don’t like poetry?” he whispered.

Buffy shook her head slowly knowing her voice would betray her if she tried to talk.

“Has anyone ever whispered it in your ear as they made love to you?” Buffy felt her stomach clench as she bent her head giving him further access to her neck. “Caressing you with their words as they pleasured you with their body.”

Spike’s lips ghosted down her neck as he spoke. Buffy couldn’t stop the small moan from escaping her parted lips as he brought his hands up to rest on her hips. He chuckled against her throat. “Couldn’t quite make that out, love, was that a yes?”

. Oh God, he is expecting me to speak? Buffy thought, struggling to clear her mind. “N-no…I d-don’t like poetry,” she struggled out in a small squeaky voice.

“I think the right man could change that,” he said gently, letting his teeth scrape against the crook of her neck.

Buffy whimpered as her hands came up to grasp his arms. Spike knew he was playing with fire. He wasn’t sure he could even stop this little game he had started. As cold as she tried to appear, her body was so responsive. He wanted nothing more than to carry her into the bedroom and pound her into the mattress. His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of ringing.

Buffy’s eyes snapped open when she heard her phone ring. She didn’t need to look at it to know who it was. She’d been so flustered by her lunch date that she’d forgotten to call Liam when she returned. She stepped quickly back scrambling to retrieve the ringing phone from her pocket.

“H-hello?”

“Elizabeth, where are you?” Liam snapped.

“I…uh, I’m walking in the garden,” Buffy said, turning her back on Spike and walking towards the window. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw he hadn’t come home early and caught her in a lie.

“Oh well, you were supposed to call me. I thought maybe you were still angry over our argument this morning.”

Buffy’s stomach rolled at the word . ‘argument’. “No, Liam everything is fine.”

“We’re going out to dinner tonight. Dress nice, but nothing too slutty. There will be clients there. I’ll pick you up at eight. I love you.”

He hung up before Buffy had a chance to respond. Not that it mattered if she wanted to go out or not. She was expected to be by his side at any and all business related functions.

“Everything okay?”

Buffy turned back around. She didn’t miss the look of concern on Spike’s face. “Everything is just perfect,” she smiled. “I’ll come back tomorrow and we can go over your outline,” she said, starting for the door.

Her change in tone had not escaped him, nor had the look of utter panic on her face when her husband had called. “Buffy, if you need to talk…”

Buffy whirled around smiling. “What, are you offering to be a shoulder to cry on?”

“If you need one.”

Buffy looked at him. She knew he was being sincere but that didn’t change the fact that she could never confide in him, in anyone.

“I don’t,” she said simply as she turned and walked out the door.




Please leave me a review to let me know you are still reading lol