Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so overwhelmed at how many people reviewed, leaving such lovely messages. Thank you to Im_Bloody_English, NeomeBuffy, CordyKitten, Natalie, Carol, Brett, Nia, ThistleSpike and Nat.

Secondly, I want to say a huge thanks to Im_Bloody_English, who has not only taken me on but provided me with such amazing help I can't help but nominate her for beta sainthood. (Plus, have you SEEN her writing? That talent has to rub off on me sometime - right!?)
Buffy sleepily began to stir, yawning widely as she stretched out her hand in search of Spike.


Nothing.


She sighed wistfully, opening her eyes to find herself alone as usual. She sat up, immediately re-living how enjoyable her evening with Spike had been. Leaving their somewhat undefined relationship status behind, it had allowed them to spend quality time together. Just two people, instead of vampire and Slayer.


Such a shame, though, that it messed up her head even further. She knew with a sick dread in her stomach that the relationship was doomed.


No happy ending for Buffy.


But the more time she spent with Spike, the harder she found him to resist.


Buffy frowned, padding towards the shower.


God, this was never meant to get so complicated. Apart from the big brooding anomaly that was Angel, she had no problem staking any vampire that came near her.


For that, was her sacred duty.


Sacred duty bites ass.


Levitating the shampoo, Buffy ordered it to squirt some on her head. Using her hands for once, she vigorously massaged the suds into her hair. Stopping, she came to a realisation. Spike wasn’t like other vampires.


God, Spike wasn’t even like other men.


He was different.


He made her laugh and smile through simple conversation. He could make her feel cherished and reassured through a single touch.


He made her feel alive.


She felt such a deep, latent desire for him, an unfamiliar feeling that shook her every time. One look from him and heat coursed through her body, weighing down each and every limb until she was completely at his mercy.


Yet she also felt so inexplicably lost, a floundering and inexperienced teenager. Buffy desperately wanted the man she longed for, but didn’t always know where she stood with him.


Did Spike return to Dru every morning? It was something she hadn’t contemplated before.


Her eyes hardened. It looked like both Angel and Drusilla were going to be sorely disappointed.


She had no intention of sharing.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Elise smiled as she surveyed the impressive feast before her. Plates were piled high with fresh fruit, cereals and flaky pastries. She picked up a pitcher of orange juice and gracefully mounted the stairs.


Spike’s head popped up right in front of her unexpectedly and she shrieked, stumbling forward as he rushed to catch her.


“Apologies, M-Master,” she stuttered. “I didn’t see you there.”


Spike cocked one eyebrow, grinning slightly.


“Obviously not. Are those breakfast treats for the Slayer?” he asked briskly.


“Yes. I went a little over-board I’m afraid.”


“Hmm,” he peered at the tray. “No scones,” he commented, appearing unimpressed. “You can’t have a good brekkie without scones… bleedin’ Americans…” he muttered. Clearing his throat, he wiggled his fingers. “Well, pass it over ‘ere. Me and the Slayer have unfinished business.”


Elise’s eyes widened, yet she reluctantly handed over her bounty to the impatient vampire before her.


Oh dear. I hope Buffy will be alright…



* * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Buffy had returned to bed.


She couldn’t stop thinking about Spike. Her constant questioning about their relationship had left her with a headache and she longed for some semblance of peace.


Groaning from her migraine, she suddenly jerked upright. Tingles! Those small caresses along her spine only meant one thing.


Spike was near.


Her stomach full of butterflies, she anxiously watched as the door open. Spike peered around the edge, greeting her with a sheepish smile.


“`Lo, luv.”


Buffy managed to squeak out a mumbled reply.


He chuckled, strolling over to the bed and placing an impressive tray of food before her. Still smiling, he climbed into bed before wrapping his arms around her.


“Still sleepy, hmm?” he asked, nuzzling her silken hair.


“A little. This is lovely,” she gestured towards breakfast. “Thank you.” Buffy turned to look at Spike, who quickly captured her lips for a kiss.


Her head positively swam. Once he was in close proximity, she couldn’t think, couldn’t speak. Her mind focused on one thing – Spike kissing her. It felt like she was drugged, her body relaxed and ready for the taking. Mewling for more, Buffy inched closer.


Spike groaned, and she suddenly felt his arousal growing against her thigh.


Smiling, she weakly pushed him away.


He gazed at her, his expression curious. “Why we stopping, pet?” his husky tone causing her to shiver.


She gazed pointedly under the covers to his groin. “Someone’s getting a little too excited…”


He looked insulted at her declaration. “But that’s a good thing! Means I find you bloody gorgeous!”


Buffy rolled her eyes, choosing to ignore the comment and instead reached for a buttery croissant. Nibbling on it delicately, she turned to face him again.


“So,” she began conversationally. “How come you are up so early?”


Spike gazed at her for a while, taking in her beautiful face flushed from their kissing. Her mouth, pink and moist, begged him to taste her again.


Mine! he thought vehemently. Mine to touch, mine to taste, mine to take.


His eyes darkened as he dreamed of the night he would finally have her; the night he would sample the delights his body had been aching for. Oh, how he would be gentle – at first! But he would make sure his beautiful mate would want it. No, he would make sure she craved it! Craved his punishments, just so he could kiss it all better.


“Spike?” Buffy waved a hand in front of his glazed eyes. “Hello? Anybody home?”


He caught her hand, pressing a gentle kiss to her palm. Reining his demon in, he chased all dark and desirous thoughts away and began dotting butterfly kisses on her hand.


She giggled, tugging it away.


“I didn’t want to go to sleep `til I saw you again.”


Buffy’s eyes widened in surprise before she hurriedly looked down.


“Easy, Goldilocks,” he reassured softly. “I just wanted to see you for once in the mornin’.”


She stole a glance at him, flabbergasted he would be so considerate. It was giving her the major wiggins, truth be told. Men weren’t supposed to notice the little things – were they?


Buffy’s head began to throb again, all with the relationship-thinking again. Her headache returned with a vengeance, the pressure centering to a pinpoint between her brows. Moaning, she pressed one hand to her forehead and grimaced.


“What’s wrong?” Spike asked concerned.


She worried her bottom lip, reluctant to talk at the moment, waiting for the pain to abate.


Her silence worried him and Spike frowned, his eyes fixed on her flustered face.


“Kitten? Are you sick? Your heartbeat is a little fast, but nothin’s wrong, is there? Is it too hot? I remember you complained `bout the heat before… should I open a window?”


Spike rattled on, his eyes travelling up and down her body, inspecting her for any signs of sickness while Buffy simply stared at him, astonished at the intimate display of concern for her well-being.


He took her continued silence to indicate pain, and quickly replaced her hand with his larger one. His cool palm on her head soothed her frayed nerves considerably, and she relaxed much to Spike’s relief.


“You feel warm. Should you feel warm? It’s been so long I’ve forgotten how warm you humans should be…”


“Spike-” Buffy tried to interject.


“Maybe Elise will know. Elise! ELISE!” he began to holler in booming tones. “ELISE! Get your bleedin’ arse up here!”


He jumped off the bed, striding towards the door to look for assistance. Bloody hell. No one appeared. He had seen the expression of pain etched in Buffy’s features at his bellowing.


And it scared the hell out of him.


Where the fuck was Elise? If anything happened to Buffy… He swallowed audibly, struggling for composure. Panicked, he hurried back to the bed to check on his mate.


“Can’t get the help,” he muttered disgustedly.


“But, Spike, I’m-”


“Sick,” he finished firmly, his eyes softening as he gazed at her. “I know, pet, I’ll make sure you feel better, Elise will get a doctor.”


Elise’s head appeared at the door, gasping once she saw Spike smothering Buffy with a duvet.


“What’s wrong!” she shrieked, wringing her hands anxiously.


“She’s sick,” he stated matter-of-factly.


“I’m not sick!” Buffy shouted, her voice muffled under the covers.


Spike raised his eyebrows in disbelief. “You bloody liar. You said you felt ill!” he exclaimed.


“No I didn’t! You decided that I felt sick, and then I tried to tell you… but you weren’t listening.” she explained, flinging her hands in the air. “Geez! I just have a headache. It’s nothing an aspirin won’t cure.”


Elise smothered a giggle, schooling her face into a mask of seriousness once Spike glared at her.


“Sod off!” he growled menacingly at the other vampire.


With a yelp, Elise nodded and made to leave.


“Apologise!” Buffy hissed, jabbing her elbow into Spike’s ribs.


“Owwww!” he whined, frowning at her in confusion. “What was that for?”


“You yelled at her for no reason. Say you’re sorry!” Buffy demanded, crossing her arms over her chest like a petulant child.


“No, I bloody won’t!” he huffed indignantly. Then she began to pout, that adorable lower lip puckering when she sniffed and his face crumpled as he felt his heart flutter.


“Pet. This is not how things work around here.” He ran an agitated hand through his hair, unsure of why he felt compelled yet again to appease her. When she began to protest, her little fingers curling around his wrist, however, he got angry.


Wasn’t it enough that his stomach lurched when he thought she was ill but now… now she was trying to reduce him to apologising to bloody minions?


Minions?


Snarling, Spike sprung away from her grasp.


“I’ll send up some aspirin. See you later, pet, got some business to attend to.” Without a kiss goodbye, he stalked out the door before she could entrance him any further.


Muttering obscenities, he strode down the hallway, catching a glimpse of Elise.


She was a good minion, he reasoned. Never caused him any trouble and did what she was told. Wasn’t that a rarity these days? Spike shook his head in disbelief as he began walking towards her.


Bugger. I can’t believe I’m doin’ this!


Finding her fumbling at her door, he coughed loudly. Surprised, she turned around, her face a giant question mark.


“Sorry `bout earlier, Elise. Didn’t mean to yell an’ all that rot.”


She tried to hide the visible shock on her face. The Master? Apologising? She was startled out of her stupor as Spike hovered by, tapping his foot, obviously waiting for a response.


“It’s fine,” she began carefully. “But thank you all the same.”


With a curt nod, he spun on his heel and left to go back to his room to get some much needed sleep.


A few doors down, a smiling Slayer with her ear pressed to the wall gave a little whoop of triumph. Jumping up, she snuggled back into bed, grabbing the television remote.


Finally, a certain vampire had listened to her for once.


And that had to count for something.