Author's Chapter Notes:
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE REVIEWS! Tthey make me want to keep writing and finish this story, so I really appreciate it guys!

Huge thanks to the inspiring Im_Bloody_English - did I mention how great she is? She deserves lots of nice things, like Spike naked on a platter. Unfortunately, I have not the means to provide her with such delectable goodies, and my thanks for her wonderful help will have to suffice. Sorry sweetie!
Spike shrugged on his duster and grimaced. He couldn’t pussy-foot around anymore.


He had to see Dru tonight.


Walking down the corridor, he wondered how she would receive him.


Since the earthquake, Dru had retreated even further into her fantasy world of dolls and pixies. The pixies no longer liked Spike. Dru had been very vocal about that.


She had once been a beautiful, deadly seductress who had captured his undead heart. Renowned throughout the world. Adored by many.


Now, she was merely a child.


Games and dolls were the only things that excited her these days, her moments of lucidity becoming less and less frequent. When she did return to reality, she was furiously angry. Bitter insults rolled off her tongue, and she destroyed anything in her wake until she exhausted herself.


Spike would then leave, having tucked up his plum in an old comforter and snuggling Miss Edith under her arm. With a parting look before he left, his heart would break as he was reminded of what she’d become.


Stopping at a heavy iron door, he nodded briskly to the vampire on guard. The bulky man took off a chain hanging from his neck, using the key attached to open the door.


Pushing it open, Spike walked into the lions den.



* * * * * * * * * * * * *



“Naughty, wicked, Spike.” A cold voice hissed. “You’ve made such a mess.”


Spike glanced around the pitch-black room, his eyes adjusting to the dark, dank conditions.


“How’s that, Dru?” he asked calmly.


She glided out from the corner of the room, a sliver of moonlight filtering in from the curtained window lent her a haunting glow.


“You’ve changed.” Her face was sorrowful. “You don’t want me anymore.”


Spike’s mouth twitched as he gazed at the woman whom he’d loved for almost a hundred years, and it felt as if his heart was being ripped to pieces.


“I still want you, pet,” his voice cracked. “I still love you.”


Dru’s face twisted into an ugly sneer. “I still love you,” she mimicked. “Ha!”


Spike slumped into a chair, running a tired hand through his hair.


“I do. I care for you, my Princess. I always will.” He sighed wearily. “I just… can’t be your Prince anymore. I’m sorry.” And he truly was… sorry that she was lost in an imaginary realm, sorry that he couldn’t prevent it. Not so sorry, however, that the Slayer was in his life.


As if she’d read his thoughts, Dru began to shake, murmuring angry words to the doll cradled in her arms. She pointed her finger at Spike accusingly.


“I know why,” she said with a sly smile. “I can see her floating all around you. Makes me sick.”


Spike sat up straight, narrowing his eyes.


“Who is floating around me?”


She began crooning to the porcelain figurine, eyes glazed. She was lost to the fairies again.


Tiring quickly of her game, he launched himself out of his seat, grabbing her in an instant.


“Drusilla,” he growled warningly. “I know you can hear me. Who is around me? Who!


Her eyes re-focussed and gleamed with rage. With a strength he didn’t know she possessed, she shoved him - hard. Spike staggered back, hitting the wall with a heavy thump.


“Her!” she hissed. “The Slayer. You’re covered with her.” Her thin nose lifted with an air of disgust while he looked away.


How could he deny it?


“But she won’t play. No, no, my pretty.” She swayed closer, trailing one ruby-red painted talon down Spike’s cheek as he frowned, unable to comprehend her nonsensical prattle.


“She’ll be a bad kitty.” Dru started to cackle before twirling in circles as she sang, “Bad kitty, bad kitty! She’ll be a bad kitty!”


He dusted himself off, watching her spin around the room until she stopped next to him, clutching her doll protectively to her chest.


“Spike?” She suddenly sounded like a lost little girl.


“Yes, luv?” Reaching out, he banded an arm about her waist, bringing her close to him.


“Can I have a little boy for tea? Miss Edith said he would make me happy again.”


Rubbing comforting circles on her back, he smiled resignedly. “Of course, my plum,” he murmured reassuringly.


Nestled against Spike’s shoulder, Dru’s eyes gleamed with malice.


Poor William. Mummy will make it all better. Mummy will get rid of the bad kitty.


For the first time in weeks, Drusilla began to smile.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Buffy danced around her room, humming along to some pop song she’d heard on TV earlier. She glanced at her watch, noticing it was almost nine.


Spike would be here soon.


Grinning widely, she skipped to her vanity, plucking up a vanilla scented body cream from the selection of bottles displayed. She scrunched up her face, concentrating on making the lotion hover above as she rubbed it in.


Chewing her lip, she surveyed her closet. She wanted to look sexy, but not slutty. Suddenly, her face lit up as she levitated a silk black dress and golden shoes into the air. Smoothing on a pair of stockings to match her lace garter belt, she quickly slipped into the outfit. She noted the black dress made her green eyes appear dark and stormy as she gazed at herself in the mirror.


She felt somewhat older, sophisticated. She was slowly shucking the awkwardness she felt at being a teenager, embracing this new and darker persona. She gave a throaty giggle, twirling in front of the mirror once more.


Spike is going to go crazy!


A heavy knock on the door startled her as she spun around.


“Come in,” she called out.


As Spike walked in, she was shocked at the rumpled state of his clothes, his face ragged and careworn.


“Spike!”


She rushed into his arms, knocking the wind clean out of him. He stood rigid, surprised at the spontaneous show of affection before his arms clasped tentatively around her small body, bringing her closer. He inhaled the scent of her; a delectable mix of vanilla and strawberries and with a deep sigh, he began to relax, concentrating solely on the girl in his arms.


Taking comfort in her embrace he didn’t move for a long time, until Buffy finally pulled back.


“What’s wrong?” she asked quietly, cupping his cheek with her small hand. Closing his tired eyes, he leaned into her touch, enjoying the feel of her heat and compassion.


“Spike?”


He could hear the concern in her voice. Opening his eyes, he smiled weakly at the beauty in front of him. “It’s nothing, luv. Just a long night.”


Buffy wrinkled her nose, unconvinced. “Are you sure?” she pressed quietly to which he merely nodded, blue eyes filled with something close to regret.


She worried her bottom lip. He had a deeply haunted look in his eyes that she ached to wash away. Raising his hand, he brushed a gentle finger against her mouth, wanting to soothe her anxiety. His caress spread warmth throughout her body, suffused her nerves, calming her down. She placed a gentle hand on his arm, and graced him with a reassuring smile.


“Let’s forget about it then. Shall we watch another movie?”



* * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Spike was fighting his demons once more. He desperately wanted to confide in Buffy, wrap her in his arms as he poured out his troubles. She would ease his fears and with a well aimed quip make him smile again.


But how can I tell her I went to see Dru? Bloody hell, how can I even explain Dru?


But his fears evaporated once Buffy had shown her trust in him through the simple touch of her hand. Delighted, he managed to stop himself from pulling her back into his arms, instead following her to the bed.


His eyes travelled up and down her body, his mouth forming an appreciative smile.


“You look absolutely enchanting, pet.”


His husky, deep tone sent a shudder through her body. She began to blush, remembering the sexy get-up she was wearing.


“Ohh! It’s just… just something I threw on, really… I mean…”


Spike began to chuckle, deep rumbles that reverberated around the room. “Okay, pet. Just something pretty you found. You didn’t wear it for me then?” He poked out his bottom lip in a pout.


Buffy huffed, and climbed onto the bed. Folding her arms across her chest, she glared at him.


“You know I did! I wanted to look nice, and you just… just laugh at me!”


He sobered immediately. Flipping over on all fours, he prowled up the mattress until reaching her side.


“I didn’t mean to laugh, sweet. I’m glad you wanted to look all sexy for me. Makes me hot just lookin’ at you.”


She shuddered, feeling his cool breath tickle her ear. As he nibbled away, she sniffed appreciatively until an unfamiliar scent wafted through the air. She suddenly jerked upright.


It was women’s perfume.


A perfume that she never wore. It was too dark and oppressive. She trembled, for instinctively she knew it was Dru’s.


Spike lifted his head at her sudden stiffness.


“Why do you smell like another woman?” she whispered.


The question stopped him in his tracks.


Fuck.


Her eyes filled with tears.


“I can explain…” he offered weakly.


“Can you?” she cried, scrambling away from him. Eyes flashing furiously she pointed a shaky finger in his direction. “You bastard. You’ve been with her, haven’t you? Your skanky, vampire slut!”


She trembled, feeling utterly sick. How could she be so blind? Spike had tricked her; probably delighting in how he’d worked the Slayer up before taking his desires elsewhere. Slaking his lust on his goddamn whore!


“She’s not a slut,” he snapped. Running a hand through his hair, he breathed in deeply. “Look, you know my history with Dru. She’s my sire and I’ll always care about her. I can’t abandon her like Peaches did and leave her to fend for herself.”


Cobalt blue eyes beseeched her to understand.


“Her mind’s all over the bleedin’ place. I’m just lookin’ after her, pet, nothings goin’ on. I swear it.”


Spots of colour had risen to her cheeks, and she shook with anger over one particular comment.


“Can’t leave her to fend for herself? That’s rich. A killer who needs looking after? I bet you provide all the services she requires, hmm?”


Now he began to grow angry. Stubborn chit won’t listen.


He clenched his fists, trying to keep calm. His eyes flickered from blue to gold, revealing his inner battle for composure.


“Listen, Slayer,” he growled through gritted teeth. “I am not with Dru anymore and I haven’t been for a long while now. You don’t have to like me seein’ her, but you’ve gotta accept it’s going to happen, alright?”


Buffy trembled with the fury rising inside of her, threatening to spew forth. He obviously thought she was house-broken, willing to let him play nurse-maid with his supposed ex. He probably drank from her too, spewing the same husky words to his vampire bitch before sipping away at the precious liquid in some kinky vampire blood play.


She ruthlessly squashed the urge to cry.


“Dream on, Spike. There’s not a chance in hell that I’m going to let you come back here night after night and play me for a fool! If you want to spend your time with that tramp, then fine. But don’t expect me to be waiting for you with open arms. Not any longer!”


His demon sprung forth, features vamped, growling at her rejection.


“You’re mine, Slayer, and you best not forget that. I will return every night to you – and make sure you enjoy it!”


She took a step forward, her eyes glowing an eerie green.


“Yeah? Well, let’s include Angel in this equation then. It’s only fair if you’re off making goo-goo eyes at Dru that I get some quality time with my old man.” As expected, he hissed at that.


Angelus won’t have any share of you.”


“Oops,” she murmured, her eyes glittering maliciously as she ran her hands down her body, stopping to linger at her curves. “It’s a bit too late for that.”


With a howl, Spike started for her, his demon enraged at the thought of his sire with his mate.


Suddenly, the television began to spark, white-hot embers spitting out from its cables.


As Spike turned around in shock, Buffy was oblivious, still roiling in anger and the shock of his betrayal. Her green eyes burned even brighter with the pain his duplicity wrought, simultaneously the television screen exploded, sending crackling electricity and shards of glass towards them.


She yelped as he dove for her, pushing her out of harm’s way, making her land on the floor with a thump.


“Are you okay?” he asked frantically, running his hands over her body to check for injuries. “Bloody thing just blew up right in front of us!”


She looked over at the ruined television set in surprise. Whoops. She shivered, realising how close she had come to being electrocuted, by herself, nonetheless.


Spike frowned, noting her paling face and deftly picked her up, bringing her to the bed.


“I’m sorry, pet. I just got so mad,” he muttered apologetically, wrapping the duvet around her. He winced, noticing a piece of glass had cut her head which began to bleed.


“You’re hurt,” he whispered, and his eyes filled with pain before he made to leave. “I’ll go get somethin’ to clean you up with.”


Buffy shook her head dazedly, her limp hand falling from his grip. “Don’t worry, I’m not like Dru,” she murmured. “It’s just superficial.”


He ignored her hurtful remark, carefully tracing her wound with a finger before leaning forward and lightly kissing it better. He trembled, still shaken by the accident and lay down beside her, gathering her close.


“I’ve got you, pet. Gave me a right shock there. You sure you’re alright?” He tightened his embrace as if she was in danger again.


Nodding dumbly, her little fingers fisted the duvet. Her mind was elsewhere. How did it happen? How had her new powers gotten out of her control, suddenly take on a life of its own?


Dru, that’s how. Anger began to simmer again, and she took a few deep breaths to bring herself back under control. She needed to calm down and harness the energy she was able to wield. If she didn’t, she could seriously hurt someone.


Spike glanced down, noting her agitation and moved closer to nuzzle her hair. Sighing, she briefly allowed him to comfort her. She ached to tell him, confide in him her fears about her volatile powers but she was so hurt. She just didn’t trust him now, and he had reminded her of what he truly was.


Heartless and cruel.


Tearing herself from his grip, she pushed him away, burrowing under the duvet.


“I think you should leave,” she croaked, her voice scratchy from yelling.


Spike gazed at her silently, cocking one eyebrow.


“Sorry, love?”


Buffy blinked her tears back.


“What? You hard of hearing now, Spike? I said LEAVE!


“Leave my own room, in my own house?” He chuckled, shaking his head. “You must be in shock after the telly exploded.”


She lifted her head to peer at him. “Shock? Perhaps you’re right,” she whispered. “After all, I’d have to be suffering from some sort of head trauma to ever-” she raised her voice, “-and I mean ever consider you as a prospective boyfriend.” She ran her eyes up and down his body distastefully. “Let alone a bed-partner. Go back to your whore, Spike. And don’t ever think about touching me again.”


He snarled at the insult, springing up towards her. The little witch.


“You should know by now that you don’t want to push me. It’s guaranteed you’ll lose.” Struggling to keep his fury under control, he made a move to leave.


“But have it your way. Choose to give in to your fucking female insecurities and ignore me and you’ll be faced with something you will wish you could escape. I promise you, pet,” he hissed menacingly. “It won’t be fun and games. Not any more.”


With a violent curse, he strode out of the room, bolting the door shut behind him.


Buffy stared at the door, before curling up and gave way to sobbing.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review!