Author's Chapter Notes:
Laura Liz - thanks for the reminder of the Real Women t-shirt - I definitely put it in there for you. Thanks to Brat for looking this over and thanks to everyone who has reviewed!
CHAPTER 3

“That’s right. Sit down, Damon.” Buffy extolled while watching the first batter walk back to the dugout after grounding out to first. “Traitor,” she mumbled under her breath.

Willow looked at her friend in surprise. “I thought you loved Damon. You always say how cute he is whenever we watch Fever Pitch.”

“Well, if we’re talking about him when he was on the Red Sox, yeah, I love him. I mean he helped win us a World Series, what’s not to love.” Buffy shrugged before her voice went cold, “but if we’re talking about him in pinstripes, he’s dead to me.”

Just then the camera panned to a sign in the crowd that read ‘No hair, no beard, no soul, no Nation,’ which Angel pointed out to the others at the table. “I think that sign pretty much sums it up.” And it did. Damon was beloved by just about every fan in Red Sox Nation as the heart and soul of the team, but then he signed with the Yankees once he became a free agent after the 2005 season. This move was unacceptable to the fans, which was evidenced by the fact that Damon still got booed every time he came to the plate at Fenway Park two seasons later.

“Please, like you wouldn’t have taken the deal.” Spike interjected between sips of his beer. “The Yanks offered him $12 Million more, showing more interest in him.”

“Hey, I’m not saying it wasn’t management’s fault.” Buffy said, defending her stance. “Personally, I think he would have stayed with the Sox if they offered him a five or six year contract at less money. But he couldn’t honestly believe that he wasn’t going to be hated if he went to the enemy. I mean we don’t boo Millar when he comes back to Fenway with the Orioles or even Pedro – who left for more money - with the Mets. It’s just because he went to the Yankees. That’s just spitting in our faces.”

As the talk of Damon had been going on around the table, two more Yankee batters came up to the plate, resulting in two more outs. A quick inning for Schilling even though one hit was a fly ball deep to centerfield caught at the warning track.

With the Red Sox up at bat, everyone waited to see what they could do against the returning Andy Pettitte, the Yankees ace who won four World Series with the team back in the late 90’s before leaving to go to play with the Houston Astros.

As Lugo approached the plate, Cordelia scrunched her nose up in disgust. “Why are they wearing these ugly green uniforms? That is the most unflattering color I have ever seen.” Leave it to Cordelia to critique the fashion of the baseball uniform.

“It’s Red Auerbach day.”

“Who?”

Angel was happy to impress his knowledge on Cordelia. “He was the legendary basketball coach of the Boston Celtics, leading them to nine championship titles.”

“But this is baseball.”

“Well, they’re honoring him today in Boston. We take our sports history very seriously.” Buffy was getting exasperated because her friend wouldn’t shut up. “Now be quiet. Manny’s up.”

There were two men on base with Youkilis at second after being beamed off the head by a pitch and Ortiz was at first after Pettitte walked him. Manny Ramirez was up with only one out - the Sox number four batter who was known for hitting home runs. Although he was starting this season very slow, with a terrible .200 batting average, he had finally hit his first home run the night before against the Toronto Blue Jays, which tied the score up in the eighth inning and allowed the team to come back to win the game. Buffy was hoping his momentum from the night before would carry over into the series with the Yankees.

As Manny grounded into an inning ending double play, Buffy let out a frustrating groan as she realized her hope wasn’t going to be happening anytime soon.

“He’s been doing that a lot lately.” Spike smirked over at her with a gleam in his eye, knowing he was riling her up. “Not so much with the home runs as with the double plays.”

Buffy tried her best not to rise up to Spike’s obvious goading. “It’s still early. He just hasn’t found his swing yet. He’ll be back to being Manny in no time.” She really hoped that was true because by all accounts it seemed like he was slumping.

The second inning went quickly for both sides. All three Yankees got out on deep fly balls caught at the warning track, and the Red Sox were out on a double play and a grounder to first.

“You know, one of those fly balls is eventually going to make it out of there.” Spike was back to provoking Buffy, but he really couldn’t help it. No woman had ever had such an effect on him so fast. Already, he loved seeing her flushed with anger, noticing that her beautiful green eyes went a shade darker with her fury. Spike shifted in his seat, his dick getting hard as thoughts about her naked body bouncing above him ran through his mind. Judging by her passion, he knew she would be a wildcat in bed and he really hoped he got to find out if he was right.

“The score is still 0-0, hot shot.” Buffy retorted, glaring at him. “You shouldn’t get ahead of yourself. You might end up sticking your foot in that big mouth of yours.” She really wished said mouth didn’t have that full bottom lip; she kept wondering what it would be like to suck on it mid-kiss.

‘Bad Buffy,’ she thought to herself whenever these more pleasant ideas rushed into her head. ‘He’s a fan of the Evil Empire, thus off-limits. You should be fantasizing about beating him, not kissing him. Remember that shirt you pride yourself on – Real Woman Don’t Date Yankees Fans – stick to that motto.’

Suddenly, a little devil Buffy popped onto her shoulder. ‘The shirt says don’t date them, it doesn’t say anything about not fucking them.’

“Grrr,” a small growl escaped from between Buffy’s lips at her warring inner musings of the sexual frustration she was feeling.

Even as he wondered if he could elicit that same delicious snarl from her during sex, Spike misinterpreted the sound as aggravation with her team as two men were now on base for the Yankees as a result of two singles to the outfield. “Don’t get your knickers in a twist just because we are about to score, luv. I think you’ll look lovely on your knees …” his tongue flicked seductively along his lips before fixing a sexy smirk on his face as Robinson Cano crossed home plate, scoring the first Yankees run, “…scrubbing my kitchen floor.”

Oooh, this guy really knew how to get under Buffy’s skin. He should know better than anyone that you can’t count the Red Sox out too quickly. It was only 1-0 in the third inning; surely he didn’t think this game was going to be a shut out for the home team. “You must work for one of the Republicans up on the Hill.” Buffy quipped back. “Declaring ‘Mission Accomplished’ a little too early in the game, don’t you think?”

‘Well, well, she is a little spitfire. Just the way I like them,’ Spike thought as he laughed at her joke before setting her straight. “Actually, luv, I happen to work for Senator Clinton. My specialty is health care reform.”

Wow, Buffy wasn’t expecting that at all and the revelation actually left her impressed. Having a job with Clinton meant he was working for someone in the Presidential race, which was the best experience you could get as a political underling. It provided for a huge window of opportunity if your boss actually won since they often brought the people they thought were main contributors to their platform with them to The White House. If Spike’s expertise was health care, you could bet he was moving on up with her since that was one of her main issues. Of course, Buffy couldn’t let him know that she was a bit envious. “I wouldn’t have pegged you as a guy who could take his orders from such a strong minded female.”

“That’s where you’re wrong, pet. I happen to like bitches.” Slowly, he perused her body up and down before meeting her gaze with a dangerous gleam in his eyes. “I don’t mind letting a woman dominate me as long as we both get some mutual satisfaction in the end.” Spike’s husky voice caused goose bumps to prickle along Buffy’s skin as he planted that cocky smirk firmly on his face again.

Pretty sure that he wasn’t talking about politics anymore, Buffy’s body heated up as a bolt of electricity ran through her body straight to her now sodden core. Feeling the need to gather herself, she awkwardly excused herself to the bathroom so she could throw some cold water on her face just as Ortiz grounded to first to end a scoreless third inning for the Sox.