Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Brooke and nightshift for betaing
Buffy smiled as she walked into the art room. Looking around at the various paints and projects, she felt somehow at home. Though she wasn’t a very talented artist, she had been around it all of her life. She had practically grown up in her mother’s gallery. Art had always been soothing for Buffy.

In the corner of the brightly colored room, she noticed a group of boys. Buffy blushed as they blatantly ogled her. She had taken great care in her appearance today. She had chosen her light pink silk tank with a matching pale pink miniskirt. Her hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail and her make up was light and natural. If you look good you feel good Cordelia always says. Buffy smiled.

“Hi, I’m Jenny Calendar the art director.”

“I’m Buffy Summers.”

Buffy walked over to an empty chair in front of a blank canvas. She ran her hand over the cool smooth surface. Picking up the paintbrush, she was about to dip it in some paint when Ms. Calendar approached her.

“Oh honey, let me go and grab you a smock. You don’t want to mess up that pretty outfit,” Ms. Calendar smiled.

Buffy smiled as her eyes drifted back to the boys in the corner. She didn’t immediately notice the brunette walking towards her. When she heard a crash, the blond let out a yelp as cold black paint splattered across her chest and stomach.

“Oh, I am sooo clumsy. I hope I didn’t ruin your outfit. It looks expensive.” Faith smirked.

Tears burned Buffy’s eyes as Ms. Calendar rushed over. “Oh my! What happened?”

“She did that on purpose!” Buffy screamed, determined not to cry.

“Oh come on B, it was an accident.” Faith answered innocently.

Buffy’s cheeks flamed as she heard the boys in the corner snickering.

“Come on dear, let’s get you cleaned up.” Ms. Calendar ushered the girl quickly from the room.

Once in the office Jenny shut the door and grabbed a T-shirt from the shelf.

“Here sweetie you can wear this back to your cabin.” She smiled offering Buffy an ugly yellow staff shirt like the one Tara had been wearing the day of her arrival.


“Thanks,” Buffy mumbled taking the shirt.


********************


Walking back to her cabin with her stained shirt in her hand, Buffy choked back a sob. It wasn’t that the shirt was expensive or even her favorite, but it was the last gift she had received from her father, before he had suddenly become too busy with his ‘new life’.
Looking at the shirt Buffy knew deep down that he hadn’t even been the one to pick it out, but that didn’t matter.

“Aw what’s the matter? Is princess going to cry?” Buffy heard a taunting voice behind her ask.

“Shut up and go away Faith.” Buffy yelled not even bothering to turn around.

“So I hear your friends are having a hard time finding you a guy for our bet,” Faith chuckled, “not surprising really.”

Buffy whirled around. “Maybe I’m just not as willing to screw anything with a pulse as you are!”

Faith smirked, “Well according to you boyfriend you fuck like you don’t have a pulse.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes. “What are you talking about?”

Faith took a step toward Buffy “I’m talking about Riley telling everyone at the party that screwing his girlfriend was like screwing an eighty year old woman.”

Buffy felt as if she had been slapped. She wanted to yell and scream that Faith was lying, but there was a part of her terrified the girl might be telling the truth. She had always been insecure about pleasing her boyfriend. He had been with other girls, but he was her first. Riley had always claimed the sex was ‘fine’. But Buffy couldn’t help but feel like it was suppose to be more than just ‘fine’.

Buffy turned and ran. Tears streamed down her cheeks and she continued to run through the woods. Her tears finally slowed as her lungs started to burn. She stopped under a large tree, slumping to the ground and burying her face in her hands. She sat there for what seemed like hours finding comfort in the cool shade.

“I’m sure it can’t be that bad,” she heard a voice say.

Buffy looked up and saw the most gorgeous man she had ever laid eyes on. The sun was behind him illuminating his already white blond curls; he had a strong masculine face offset by soft full lips. Her eyes drifted down to his chest. It looked as though it were carefully chiseled from the finest carved marble, like the sculptures in the museums her mother had forced to go to as a child. Below his well muscled chest he had rippled abs that seemed to go on forever. His jeans sat dangerously low giving Buffy the slightest hint of what lie beneath. She suddenly felt her stomach tighten as she looked back up into the bluest eyes she had ever seen.

“I…uh…I,” Buffy stammered as a blush covered her cheeks.

“Wha’s wrong, pet?” Spike smiled at the flustered blond.

“I…don’t want to talk about it.” Buffy ducked her head embarrassed. Oh God even his voice is sexy! She groaned.

The man chucked squatting down. “Well, I can’t have a beautiful girl just sitting here crying under my favorite tree and not even know why.”

Buffy looked around for the first time noticing how far she had run. She was on the other side of the lake. She saw a small cabin behind the stranger.

“Oh my God, I’m sorry I didn’t realize…” Buffy started.

The man put his hand up “Don’t worry ‘bout it, luv,” he smiled. “Are the kids getting to you?”

Buffy furrowed her brow then looked down realizing she was still wearing the staff shirt Ms. Calendar had given her. He thinks I’m a counselor, Buffy sighed.

“Actually I…” Buffy started to explain, but was cut off.

“I’m sure they can be a handful at that age.” The man chuckled. “I’m Spike.” He said standing up and offering her his hand.

Buffy took his hand allowing him to pull her up. “I…I’m Buffy.”

“Come on, you can clean up at my place.” Spike smiled directing her towards the small cabin.

“Okay thanks.” Buffy smiled.

They walked in silence to the small cabin. Buffy couldn’t help stealing small, sideward glances at the man. She knew she should tell him that she wasn’t a counselor, but she didn’t want him to think she was just some silly teenage girl. Even though I am she thought to herself.

The inside of the cabin was nothing like she expected. There was a large black leather sofa in the center of the room facing a large stone fireplace. Above the fireplace was a huge flat screen TV. The far side of the room seemed to be an art studio with large canvas paintings and assorted art supplies. Buffy noticed a small ladder leading to a loft which apparently was his bedroom.

“Are you an artist?” Buffy smiled.

“Trying to be.” Spike shrugged. “The loo is right through that door.”

“The…huh?” Buffy frowned.

Spike chuckled “Sorry, luv, I mean the bathroom.”

Buffy blushed he called me luv she gushed. She nodded quickly making her way into the small restroom. When she looked in the mirror she let out a groan. Her mascara had run all down her face and her eyes were red and puffy from crying. Her hair had fallen loose from her ponytail, she was a mess.

Scrubbing her face Buffy sighed. He just felt sorry for me. After making herself presentable she walked back out of the bathroom.

Spike heard the bathroom door open and looked up. His breath caught in his throat when she walked out. Under all the sweat and smeared makeup a beautiful girl stood in his living room. Her green eyes sparkled with innocence. No wonder the wankers are taking advantage of her.

“Thank you for letting me clean up here.” Buffy smiled shyly.

“Sure anytime you need to escape just come on by. I’d like the company,” Spike smirked, “Why don’t I walk you back.”


“No!” Buffy said more forcefully than she had intended.

“I mean…the kids would just tease me.” She nervously added.

Spike smiled, “Right then, well remember what I said, and the door’s always open.”