Author's Chapter Notes:
So, here's chapter 14! I know it was kind of evil to leave it there but a cliffhanger is a cliffhanger :) Anyway, you've got chapter 14 now :)

Thanks Chriss for betaing, it means a lot! And of course to all of you who reads and review! Please, continue to review that really keeps me going!




Thank you so much Buffymon for the four amazing banners! I couldn't decide which one I wanted to use so all of them are in the story :)

Chapter 14 - No Angel

“Glad to see you too, Buff.”

Spike turned to look at Buffy when he heard her name being called by a man he didn’t recognize. He frowned, confused. Who was he? She didn’t know that many people here, from what he knew of. On instinct, he stood up to go and see who the man was but then he stopped. He had no right to burst in like that, he wasn’t her boyfriend. So he sat down but didn’t take his eyes off of Buffy.

“I’ll have to call you back Cordy,” Buffy told her friend, still not taking her eyes off of Angel who was standing a few feet away from her with a goofy grin plastered his face. He looked so full of himself, when he tilted his head and gave her a smile.

“Missed me, sweetie?”

Buffy cringed at the tone in his voice and glared at him. “What are you doing here, Angel?”

The first thing that brought Spike’s attention was her voice – she did not sound happy. It was more like ‘I’m-gonna-kill-you-if-you-don’t-leave-in-three-seconds,’ that kind of a voice. The second thing was that name. Angel. He knew he’d heard it before. Suddenly, realization hit him.

He’s her ex. That ponce I yelled at in the phone.

Without thinking, he stood up and with determined and powerful steps he walked over to Buffy. Slowly he put a hand on her shoulder. “Everything okay here?” He asked, first looking into Buffy’s eyes, then turning cold when he looked at Angel.

“So, this is the peroxide wonder,” Angel stated, apparently amused. “I actually thought you were a threat but now… Well, to take the shortest version; no. You’re not.”

Buffy felt Spike’s hand on her shoulder tightening as Angel continued to look at him. “Angel, why are you here?” Buffy said before Spike had a chance to say something more.

“Well, isn’t that obvious, babe?” Angel said, shaking his head at her stupidity. “I came for you of course.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “Because…?”

“I wanna make things right again, Buff,” he told her, suddenly putting on a miserable pouting face. “I miss you.”

Buffy scoffed. “Yeah, well, maybe you should’ve thought about that before you started to hang around all those girls. We’re over Angel; I thought I made it clear.”

“I told you I was gonna call on Monday. You weren’t home.”

“And I said that we were over!” Buffy exclaimed, feeling Spike’s hand sliding off shoulder but he still didn’t move an inch away from her. “But obviously you didn’t understand that. What I can’t understand though is why you tricked Cordy into believing that we were back together.”

“You wouldn’t talk to me, of course,” Angel answered, shrugging. “It was the only way.” Then his face lit up into a smirk, not that kind of a smirk that Spike had though, Buffy marked. Spike’s smirks could be evil, yes, but in a… sexy kind of way. Angel’s smirks were making her want to smack him over the head. “She’s pretty easy your friend… In many ways…”

“Shut up,” Buffy growled.

“I think you should get the hell away from here now,” Spike said, and suddenly he remembered. Angel thought they were together. Making a quick decision he slid his arm around Buffy’s waist. Buffy tensed up for a second, and sent him a questioning frown.

Keeping his eyes on Buffy he slowly said, “I thought you knew Buffy had moved on.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as she remembered the conversation between Angel and Spike over the phone and she turned her gaze back at Angel who looked anything but understanding. Instead, he just shook his head and got that voice he always used on his clients.

“Buffy, Buffy… What do you think your father would say about that?”

“My-“

“There you are, Angel,” a voice behind Angel suddenly said. Buffy glanced over his’s shoulder, who just kept his eyes at the couple in front of him with a smirk. Confusion written all over her face, pretty much like Spike’s, she recognized the voice and gaped. It couldn’t be… “I thought we were going to meet at that rotten café up there but – oh. Hello, Buffy.”

“Dad,” Buffy greeted, her mouth forming a thin line. “W-what are you doing here?”

Spike raised his eyebrows when he realized that the man with the business-like clothes who was standing beside peaches was none other than Buffy’s father. A fool could’ve seen that though, since they had the same eyes and nose. He instantly felt a hate towards the older man, even though he was so much like his daughter.

“Paying you a visit, obviously,” he replied. “Angel here asked me to come with him and talk to you.”

Buffy’s face turned into a mocking glare, directed at Angel. “Too scared to come here by yourself, were ya?”

“Buffy, behave,” he said, shooting her a fierce look. “You’re not very polite now, are you?” His gaze fell at Spike before he turned his attention back to Buffy with a knowing sight. “Introduce us, maybe?”

“Sure, dad,” Buffy replied, sarcasm filling her voice. “Dad, meet William Giles or Spike. Spike, this is my father Hank Summers I told you about.”

Spike stuck out his hand towards the man trying to be nice and not think about how he’d treated Buffy. Better to give him a good impression than a death glare… “Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Summers.”

“William,” Hank replied, eyeing the young man. The tight grip around his daughters’ waist didn’t go unnoticed. “Now, if you excuse us, we would like a talk with Buffy in privacy. Do you mind?”

Spike turned the question to Buffy, not really tempted to leave her alone. “I don’t think we have anything to hide from Spike,” she challenged.

“Buffy, this is something personal so I don’t think Angel would appreciate to –”

“That’s why he brought you, dad?” Buffy replied ironically, tilting her head. She then saw the determined expression on her dad’s face and knew he wasn’t going to give up. Normally she would’ve fought it and she would’ve made sure that Spike would come with her but she really didn’t want the two of them here. To be honest, Buffy couldn’t wait for them to leave and she knew that they would be leaving a lot faster if she didn’t argue. Sighing she turned to Spike.

“It’s okay. You go and talk to Connor.” Spike didn’t look convinced.

“I don’t think I should leave…” He mumbled, slowly.

“I’m afraid that’s not your choice, Willy boy,” Angel interrupted.

“Didn’t ask for your opinion, mate,” Spike snapped back. He turned back to Buffy. “I could stay here though. I won’t be far away.”

“Okay,” Buffy smiled, feeling her heart flutter at the thought of him being so protective over her. He really did care. “You stay here and we,” she continued, turning back to her dad and ex, pointing at a less crowded area near the way down to the competing area, “go over there.”




“So, what did you want to talk about?” Buffy said when they reached the parking lot with a sigh as she crossed her arms over her chest.

“I think that Angel has something he would like to ask you,” Hank grinned, looking at Angel who went past Buffy’s dad and stopped only a few inches from Buffy. She wanted to back away, to show him that she really didn’t want to stand here with him but even though the idea was tempting she didn’t move. Better get this over with.

“Buffy,” Angel began. “I know we’ve had our ups and downs, things haven’t always been easy between us but that just proves how much we do care for each other.” Before Buffy had a chance to insist he continued. “The few days I was without you, Buffy, felt like the end of the world and I realized… that I couldn’t live without you. I love you and that’s why I wanted to ask you,” Angel mumbled as he fumbled with something in his pocket as he went down on one knee. “to be my wife.”

Buffy eyes went wide. He was seriously thinking she’d want to marry him after all he’d done? He’s crazy! He lied to my friends, treated me like shit… and now he assumes that I’ll just say ‘oh, yes, I want to marry you’? She scoffed.

“You’re joking.” It wasn’t a question, more of a statement and Buffy felt her dad’s eyes at her and Angel’s confused look.

“Elizabeth!” Hank exclaimed. Buffy turned her eyes to Angel, silently asking him if this was some sick joke of his, but she only got a shocked frown back and she realized he was serious. Buffy’s eyes landed on Spike who was sitting at the benches again, but his gaze was fixated at the trio and Buffy was almost glad she couldn’t see his expression.

“Angel, you think I would want to marry you, don’t you? For God’s sake, think about it! We’ve never been the perfect couple, you’ve almost cheated on me and you lied to my friends in attempt to travel over the world to ask me this. No, Angel. I’ve said it before and I say it again – we are not together. I broke up with you, which I should’ve done a long time ago. You can’t just come here, give me that ring, and expect that everything will be all right again!” She cried out, her hands flying in the air.

“So Captain Peroxide is better than me?” Angel mumbled in disbelief. “Please, you can honestly say that the bleached freak makes you happy?”

“It’s not about who’s better here,” Buffy said. “And yes, he does make me happy but –”

“You’re seeing… him?” Hank questioned, emphasizing on ‘him’.

Buffy sighed, quickly thinking of lying to make them believe she was seeing Spike or tell them the truth. She thought that Angel would probably not leave it if Buffy didn’t make it clear to him that she wanted nothing to do with him. If she told them she was seeing Spike he could think that he was just a fling for the moment – that she’d come back to him when she got tired of Spike. So, Buffy shook her head.

“No. He’s a friend.”

Angel raised his eyebrows and looked up at Buffy from his position at the ground which he hadn’t left. “Friend? You’re doing what he said you were doing with your friends?”

Buffy felt her cheeks heat up and threw a quick glance at her father who had an ‘I-didn’t-hear-what-you-just-said’-look. Buffy decided to drop the subject. “Angel, I’m sorry if you thought that this was going to fix everything – but it won’t. You lied to my friends and you brought my dad here just because –“

“Well, I wanted his blessing which I got,” Angel replied, standing up.

“It doesn’t matter, I do not want to marry you. Now, I think you should leave, both of you,” Buffy told them and started to walk past Angel when she felt herself being pulled back.

“We need to talk about this, us,” Angel mumbled.

“I don’t need to be here for that, I only took some time off to inform you, Buffy, that you had my blessing which you obviously care nothing about. I’ll be right here,” Hank mumbled and walked away from the former couple. Angel turned his eyes back to Buffy.

“We have nothing to talk about,” Buffy replied, fire in her eyes when she for the second time started to walk away from Angel, only this time when he grabbed her he didn’t let go.

“Don’t I have something to say about it?” Angel said with anger filling his voice as he swirled around to face her. “We are going to talk, Buffy, or I swear I’ll – “

He didn’t have a chance to finish the sentence before he got a fist in his face that made him fly into the sand. Buffy took a step back in shock and looked up to see Spike standing there, glaring at Angel with his jaw firmly clenched.

“Spike!” Buffy exclaimed but he didn’t acknowledge her as he hovered over Angel, growling;

“Get the hell away from her.” With that, he threw another punch in his face that made Angel groan in pain. Buffy was too shocked to move, paralyzed she just stood there, gaping.

Suddenly Angel got to his feet, wiping away the blood that had escaped from his nose with a maniacally laughter. “Boy, you’re really screwed, aren’t you? Too bad she doesn’t feel the same for you,” he mocked and out of nowhere he threw a punch at Spike that made his head fly back.

Hank, who had been standing a few feet away, heard the noises and turned around to see the two men in a wild fight with Buffy on the side, her hands stunned, covering her mouth. In a few seconds he was over there.

“Hey! Hey!” He yelled trying to get a hold of Angel’s arm but failing as he launched forward at Spike, kicking him in the stomach that sent him sprawling into the sand.

“Spike!” Buffy exclaimed, waking up from her trance and rushing towards Spike, who once again was on his legs, blood sipping from his mouth. “Stop it, both of you!”

But neither man paid any attention to the girl as Spike sent his fist into Angel’s jaw. Not knowing what else to do, Buffy made a quick decision and placed herself between the two men. Angel just groaned at the pain in his jaw and pushed Buffy out of the way into the sand.

“Buffy!” Spike called out, only getting a punch from Angel. “I warmed you to stay away from her,” Spike growled.

“Didn’t ask to be warned,” Angel simply replied. “I wanted a talk with my girlfriend which you very much destroyed.”

Punch. Spike clenched his jaw, trying to make the pain go away. “She didn’t want to be here, you didn’t let her leave.”

“Girl needs discipline,” Angel shrugged.

“Why you little – “ Spike was just gonna put his fist into the wanker’s face once again when a voice behind him made him stop dead in his track.

“Spike! Spike, we need your help!”

It was Lily. Buffy started to get up from the sand and clumsily stood up with a little help from her dad. “Lily,” Buffy said, a mere whisper.

“Spike, please. It’s Connor.”

Spike frowned at the girl. “Connor?” He repeated.

“His friends were mocking him and he got enough of it. He wants to prove he can surf to them!” Lily shouted her breathing fast. “Connor is out at the Boneyard!”

Spike swallowed. Shit.