Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm just gonna start with saying thank you to all of you who has reviewed this story and my new one! Wow, I was shocked to see that I had 20 reviews for the first chapter! Thank you all so much!




One important thing here that I know people will think about - the issue with time. I have never really said how many weeks Buffy has left because I didn't know how far I wanted to go with the story. I left that to imagination or something, but in this chapter you'll get to know. I hope it doesn't seem too weird that I told you this now, I just wanted to warn you :)
Chapter 29 - Family

“So what are we watching? My personal favorite is Bring It On but then again I know that Spike hates it,” Buffy finished with a small pout, holding two different movies in her hands, weighing them back and forth with a pensive look.

Spike grinned and cocked his head to the side. “Now, pet, I didn’t say I hate it.”

At that, Buffy only raised an eyebrow and left him to understand the meaning of it by himself. Instead, she turned back to Lily who was currently seated on the couch with a blanket wrapped around her small form, a pleased smile playing on her lips.

“Like I said,” Buffy continued, “this is my favorite. Doesn’t mean you’re gonna love it but you are after all a girl.” Grinning slightly she added, “but, of course, Spike’s favorite movie is Cry Baby and I’d definitely rate that one was a chick flick.”

“Oi!”

Lily laughed before shrugging. “I don’t know, you decide.”

Buffy pouted again at Lily and she could feel Spike’s eyes boring into her. She knew that pout was driving him crazy but she wasn’t about to stop. It was after all a bit fun to watch his hungry gaze. “I hate to choose.”

A frown appeared on Lily’s face as she seemed to think about her options before she clasped her hands together with a smile. “I think we’ll take Cry Baby, just to make Spike happy.”

“’m touched, nibblet,” Spike replied, putting a hand to his heart in a dramatic gesture that only made Lily giggle even more. Buffy playfully scoffed at them and put the DVD in the DVD player. As the theme for the movie started to play she made her way back to the sofa and placed herself between Spike and Lily.

Spike caught her look and smirked. “Not angry now, are you, pet?”

Buffy stubbornly shook her head. “Nope. Not the slightest.” He only laughed and kissed her on the cheek, both missing the curious look on the little girl’s face.

“Um… you’re not, are you?” Lily mumbled, the insecurity covering her voice and Buffy turned her head towards Lily in question.

“What, Lily?” She frowned.

“Angry,” Lily clarified and Buffy nodded knowingly, understanding what she was getting at. Swallowing a lump that was forming in her throat knowing that this was the after-effects of her so called dad’s attack. Putting a hand on her arm, Buffy looked her kindly in the eyes.

“Of course not, Lily. You’re free to say or think whatever you want. No one will be angry with you for expression your thoughts.”

Her sad face slowly faded away and was replaced by a small beam. “Good, because I thought it was just cruel to let Spike endure two hours of an insane ‘chick flick’.”

“Once again, touched,” Spike replied, leaning over Buffy to ruffle the girl’s hair. Giggling, Lily turned her gaze back to the TV, the smile never leaving her lips. Buffy watched her for a few seconds, a deep sadness in her eyes that she tried to hide. Oblivious to Buffy’s state, Lily laughed at the movie, and a small smile formed on Buffy’s lips.

When Spike had told her about Maggie Evan’s phone call she had been shocked, but at the same time thankful to the aunt. She hadn’t put her in a foster-home or even called social-services at first, instead, she contacted Spike. She wasn’t all that surprised actually when he told her he’d accepted Maggie’s offer. After all, the girl meant a lot to him.

Coming over to the house, Buffy realized that it was impossible to the Evans family to have Lily living with them. The house was small, too small for four kids and two grown-ups. Buffy noticed that Lily’s cousins didn’t seem all that sad that Lily was going and she guessed that their mom had kept her mouth shut about what really happened to Lily that fateful day.

Maggie had already taken care of all the papers, Spike just needed to sign them. Having Lily at his house wasn’t for good, just temporary until they could get in touch with her mother.

It hadn’t taken them long to pack Lily’s things into Spike’s Desoto and soon they were off towards Spike’s apartment.

Before they left, Spike had arranged one of the rooms of his apartment so Lily would be able to live there. They’d have to get a new bed, the one that was currently standing there had been slept in by many people before her and it had also been standing there for years. Two days from now, they were going to get the remaining things to her new home.

“I’m just gonna go get something to drink,” Buffy sighed and made a move to stand up. “You guys want something?”

“I’m fine,” Spike absently told her, his eyes never leaving the screen as he watched Iggy Pop enter the scene. Buffy shook her head and turned to Lily.

“What about you, honey?”

“Do you have lemonade?” She asked with a tilt of her head. Buffy nodded and clasped her hands together.

“One lemonade coming up!”

In the kitchen she started to arrange the drinks. Accidentally dropping one of the glasses onto the floor filled with liquid she let out a little ‘eep’.

“You okay in there, luv?” Spike called from the living room and Buffy bent down to pick up the broken glass as she reached for something to dry the floor off with.

“Fine, broke a glass though…” she yelled back and she heard Spike laugh softly. “Sorry, but you know me. I’m clumsy-Buffy!”

Picking up the remaining pieces, Buffy filled up a new glass of lemonade for Lily and also one for herself and put them on a tray. Smiling in triumph, Buffy made her way back to the living room where Spike was still as engrossed in the movie as ever. She stopped in the door way at the sight in front of her as something indescribable warmed her heart.

This picture; Spike sitting on the sofa with his eyes plastered on the TV, a content look on his face, with Lily beside him, looking nothing but pleased just seemed so… right. It was weird, but somehow she just felt like she could stand there all day watching them. Lily was one lucky gal, she’d be living with Spike and live the life she should’ve lived for all those years and somehow Buffy realized she didn’t want to miss it.

But, you’ll be going home in less than four weeks, she told herself, swallowing and looking away from the happy scene in front of her. I have to go back. I got my whole life in Sunnydale, my family, my job, my friends… As long as four weeks sounded, it was not enough.

“You seem to be in deep thoughts,” Spike stated and Buffy snapped her head up to meet Spike’s curious blue eyes. Buffy put a smile on her face walked into the room, placing the tray onto the table in front of the sofa.

“Zoned out a little,” Buffy shrugged and gave Lily one of the glasses. “Oh,” she then said, turning to Spike, “sorry about the glass. I can pay you for it.”

Spike waved her off and patted her on the shoulder with a small smirk. “Think you can make it up to me.”

Buffy grinned mischievously and moved closer to Spike. “Really? How now?”

He tilted his head and watched her with a pensive look before shrugging as an innocent look graced his features. “Well… You could give us a kiss?”

“Think I can handle that,” Buffy replied and softly pressed her lips to his in a sweet kiss. On instinct, Spike’s hands went to her waist as he kissed her. And, if the little voice behind them hadn’t interrupted them, they sure would’ve gone further…

“Ew…” Lily said, wrinkling her nose at the two of them.

Buffy couldn’t help but laugh at Spike’s look as she sat down on her place between the two persons she’d come to like so much. “You’re gonna change your mind about that, Lily, believe me.”

Lily raised her eyebrows in an ‘are-you-kidding-here’ look. “Don’t think so. Kissing equals ew.”

“You will understand when you get older,” Buffy sighed and leant back on the couch with a happy smile on her face, her own words ringing through her head. ‘Live in the moment’.