Author's Chapter Notes:
I couldn't wait until tonight (well, tonight here anyway) to update, so... here you go :)
I'm sorry I didn't update earlier, I had some stuff I needed to work out with my boyfriend for example before I could continue with the story. School is not getting calmer but it's not that hectic anymore and my boyfriend and I decided to take a break and just be friends for a while. So, maybe that'll give you more chapters? We'll see ;)
Chapter 30 - Love?

“Can I ask you something?”

Buffy glanced up from the newspaper to meet the brown eyes of the little girl who was sitting in front her at the kitchen table at her new home and tilted her head while nodding in agreement.

“Sure, anything.”

Lily averted her eyes from Buffy’s gaze for a few seconds and concentrated on the sandwich in front her, fingering on it as if she was thinking about was she wanted to say. Buffy made no move to push her; she just watched the girl and waited for her to say what she wanted.

Finally looking and shocking Buffy with a little smirk on her lips and a playful look on her face, she put down her sandwich and put her elbows onto the table, letting her chin rest in her palms. “Are you and Spike really together?”

Buffy raised an eyebrow, not really expecting the question. Lily had been living with Spike for almost a week now and Buffy had practically been spending each and every night at his place too, she thought it was obvious. “Well, I thought you knew we were seeing each other.”

“I thought so,” Lily clarified, her chin still resting in her palms before shrugging. “I just wasn’t sure because you haven’t mentioned it, really.”

Buffy nodded understanding. “We are, at least it’s…” No, it’s too complicated to explain, she told herself as she started to hesitate. She won’t understand. “I mean, yes.”

Raising an eyebrow at the adult, Lily said; “You know, I may be young and all but I’m not stupid.”

Buffy let out a little chuckle and ran a hand through her hair. “Nope, that I know.” With a sigh Buffy put down the newspaper onto the table and crossed her arms over her chest in a protecting manner as she leant back in the chair. “So what do you think that you know?”

“Simple; that you love him,” Lily stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Buffy’s eyes widened and she opened and closed her mouth without getting any words out of it.

“I-I…”

Seeing the shocked look on Buffy’s face Lily realized she had said something she shouldn’t have. “Buffy, I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable…”

Shaking her head and cutting off Lily’s ranting Buffy forced a smile. “It’s all right. I just…” Letting out a sigh Buffy leant forward and mirrored the same movements as the brown haired girl in front of her as she propped her elbows up on the table. “It’s something we haven’t talked about, Lily.”

Confusion crossed the girl’s face. “Why not? You obviously do.”

“It’s not that simple, Lily,” Buffy said scratched her neck. Lily didn’t look too convinced, though.

“Of course it is. You tell him you love him, and he’ll tell you. That’s the way it works.”

Buffy couldn’t hold back her smile. If it was as simple as that, then she wouldn’t have that nagging feeling that kept bothering her every time she thought about going home. “I think I’ve let you watch too many American movies, sweetie. Life is not always that easy.”

“In the movies they always come running after one another,” Lily said with a dreamy look on her face. “They have a fight, the girl goes away and then the guy comes after her and tells her he loves her. Then they live happily ever after.”

Buffy arched a meaning eyebrow at her. “Like I said, too many movies.”

Lily shrugged and picked up an apple from the bowl full of fruits that was placed in the middle of the table. “So you’re telling me you won’t live happily ever after with Spike?”

Was there an easy answer to that? Buffy thought and chewed on her bottom lip as Lily asked the question she kept asking herself every day. Would they have a future together or would this just be written off as history in a few weeks? Would she move on and meet another man who meant this much to her?

Truth was, she didn’t know. She didn’t know what would happen weeks from now, when she’d return home and start working again. When she would be going back to her life again.

Realizing she had avoided Lily’s question she met the young eyes of the girl and looked at her with soft eyes. “I don’t know.”

Not noticing the miserable voice, Lily shook her head and took a bite out of the apple. “I am sure you will. I like you both very much and you’re so perfect together. Everyone says so.”

Tilting her head, a look of confusion marred Buffy’s face. “Everyone?”

Rolling her eyes slightly, Lily stood up and made her way over to the sink with her dishes. “Well, at least I heard Willow and Tara say it when I was at their house the other night. But they didn’t think I was listening.”

Buffy just shook her head. Those two were really trying to play matchmakers. Looking back at Lily, Buffy called out her name and she turned around.

“I’d appreciate if you didn’t tell Spike that we had this conversation,” she said, seriously, afraid that it only would make things worse. Lily nodded.

“Okay, but I don’t really understand why I can’t – “

“Please, just don’t,” Buffy cut her off and looked at her with pleading eyes. Without another word, Lily nodded and silently promised Buffy she wouldn’t say anything.


“That was…”

“Amazing…” Spike filled in as he rolled away from Buffy. She could do nothing but agree with a happy smile.

“I second that.”

Spike chuckled and pulled her closer to him, wrapping his arms around her waist as she snuggled closer to the warm body beside her, a content smile on her lips.

After spending hours in bed that day, she was exhausted, but in a good kind of way. In an I-never-want-to-get-up kind-of one. Thank God, Lily had wanted to spend the night at one of her friend’s house.

Glancing at the man beside her she propped her head onto his shoulder, using it as a pillow. His hair was messed up and the curls he so badly wanted to flatten was sticking out everywhere – making him look absolutely adorable and sexy.

A smirk formed on Spike’s lips as she noticed how she kept watching him. “Seeing something you like, pet?”

Biting her lip to keep herself from smiling she tried to shrug casually. “Maybe.”

“Maybe?” Spike questioned, knowing that look all too well. He propped himself up onto one elbow so that he was hovering over her. He was gonna give her a snappy come back but one look at her and he was lost in her beauty, as cliché as it sounded.

Her blonde bouncy hair was tousled over the pillow as she started up at him, her lips twitching into a smile.

The last days had been wonderful. Buffy and Spike had been spending almost every hour of the day together, going to the beach, enjoying an evening with Willow and Tara and the rest of the gang, just having a calm movie night with Lily… Buffy barely ever visited her rented house, except from the times when she needed to get new clothes or something else of her stuff.

Today, she had once again taken her place by the big stone on the beach as Spike held the practice for the kids. She was actually surprised that she hadn’t gotten tired of it. She remembered those times Angel had gotten her to go with him to his football trainings, god how she had hated it… Buffy hadn’t seen it like that back then but now she realized Angel was acting like a high school boy, trying to impress the girls.

Watching Spike teach the kids, encouraging them, making them believe in themselves was something she never could get tired off. She was amazed by the way he worked with them; he was an excellent teacher and friend.

And then there was Lily.

Judging by the way things were going right now, Buffy presumed that Lily had kept her promise to Buffy and not told Spike anything about their little conversation, but after all, Lily was busy living the life she hadn’t be able to before.

People were still trying to get in contact with the missing mother without any progress, but Lily didn’t seem to be all too miserable because of that. She was enjoying her time with Spike and Buffy as much as they like having her there.

“What do you say?” Spike mumbled, getting Buffy back to reality with his soft voice. Buffy blinked a few times and watched him for a few seconds.

“What do I say about what?”

Spike chuckled and bent down to nuzzle her neck. “Thought I lost you there.”

Buffy closed her eyes in pleasure and let out a little moan. “You’re going to now if you keep doing that,” she let out and Spike pulled back, leaving a promising kiss on her lips.

“I was saying, what do you think about getting the most out of the time we have before I’ll have to pick up Lily?” Spike repeated and tucked a lock behind her ear.

“How much time do we have?”

Spike glanced to the clock on the night stand and made some quick math. “Half an hour. You up for it?”

“Always,” Buffy smirked and met his lips in a passionate kiss. For moments they just let their lips gently nib at the others, enjoying the comfort they were giving each other. But soon the kiss became more needy and Buffy trailed her hand down Spike’s back, digging her finger nails into his back, electing a soft groan from Spike.

Gently tugging her legs a part Spike placed himself between them and looked at Buffy as he slid inside. Watching the expression on Buffy’s face he almost forgot to breathe at the beautiful sight in front of him. He wanted to say the words, but he couldn’t. Instead, he slowly started to move with long, deep and slow thrust, hoping to show her how much she meant to him by the gentle lovemaking.

Once again meeting her lips in a hungry kiss. He let his hands travel down her warm skin, never getting enough of touching her as his breathing started to become more irregular.

Noticing that she was close, Spike sped up his thrusts and soon they both came together. Spike tore his lips away from her mouth as the sensation flooded through him and her name left his lips.

Burying his head in her neck, both of them tried to control their breathing. Buffy winded her arms around his back and held him close as she let her eyes drift close to enjoy the moment.

Slowly, Spike pulled back and looked down at her, softly stroking her cheek in appreciation none of them really caring about the ringing phone.


“Spike, are you coming?” Buffy yelled from the door, half an hour later, impatiently stamping her foot against the floor. They were already late to Lily’s friend since they had been caught up in another round of sex and Buffy couldn’t help but smirk at the thought. But right now they really needed to hurry and Spike was being really lazy.

“Coming, I just can’t find the bloody keys…” Spike bellowed from the bedroom, rummaging through his jeans pockets without any result. Starting to become frustrated he let out a sigh and went over to the desk and pulled out the drawer. “Where the bloody hell did I put it…” He mumbled moments before his eyes spotted it beside the phone.

Rolling his eyes as he remembered leaving them there the other day he picked them up and just happened to notice the red light flashing from the phone. Frowning, he looked at the displayer and noticed he had one missed call from a number he did not recognize. Weird, I don’t recall hearing the phone ring…

Pressing on the button to hear if the person had left a message he shrugged when there was no reply.

“Spike!”

Spike snapped out of it and grabbed his coat from the chair as he heard Buffy’s menacing yell from the hallway. “Bossy bint,” he mumbled with a smirk and made his way out of the room, not giving the call anymore thought.