Author's Chapter Notes:
I feel like I need to explain the delay of the updates on both TW and EL but the reason is simple and dull - we (my beta and I) have been working/studying like hell for the last couple of weeks and there just was no time to update. I'm so sorry for that but I hope you understand and that you guys are still interested in this story!
It's getting closer to the end... Anyway, please let me know what you think! Thanks!
Chapter 36 - The Plan

“Please, fasten your seatbelts for take off. We will soon be heading towards sunny California.”

Spike barely heard the captain’s voice in the speakers but he quickly took a hold of the belt and put it on with shaking hands. For good measure, he pulled at it once, twice to see that it was actually holding him in the chair.

Letting his head fall back against the uncomfortable chair, Spike’s eyes drifted shut with a small sigh. He had always hated flying and over the years it hadn’t got better, if only not worse. As soon as he got on the plane he started having second thoughts about his plan and all his instincts were telling him to run as far away from the terrifying plane he could.

Yet, he found himself seated in the armchair, his hands holding on to the armrest so hard that his knuckles were starting to fade into white, matching his ghost white face. He was doing this for one reason only – and that was for Buffy.

It had been a week since Spike found out about Buffy’s real identity and he had almost punched himself to death when he realized how stupid he had been. With a little help from Willow’s computer he found out that Buffy Summers, or Elizabeth Summers to be exact, was living in a small area called Sunnydale in California. And that was where he was headed right now.

He glanced out the window and looked with longing eyes for the safe ground out there as the plane started to move with a hasty movement. Spike closed his eyes and inhaled sharply.

‘Oh, bloody hell, I must be out of my mind for doing this…’

He knew how right it would be when he actually got to Sunnydale, though. He had imagined it, dreamt about it for the last week and still all he could see was Buffy meeting him by her door with a gracious smile on her lips.

But the question was, would it be that simple? Did she want him there at all?

Spike didn’t dare to think about those questions running through his head. He would deal with the problems once and if they showed up. Now – he needed to concentrate on staying alive.

‘I can do this… Think of Buffy, you ponce, it’ll be worth it.’

“Ladies and Gentlemen, we’re just about to take off and I wish you all a pleasant flight.”

‘Oh, bloody, fucking, buggering hell...’




“Buffy!”

Buffy turned around at her name being called out through the corridors at Sunnydale High and smiled as she saw principal Woods approaching her.

“Principal Woods,” she greeted him with a slight nod. The young principal pulled a face.

“Ugh, Buffy, you know I prefer Robin, right?”

“I know that, principal Woods,” Buffy continued with emphasis on the title and a little smirk as her eyes traveled to the passing students, “but I believe it would be inappropriate for the guidance counselor to call the principal by his given name in the corridors.”

Robin Woods stared at her as if she was crazy before he started to laugh. “Funny, very funny.”

“It wasn’t a joke,” she simply replied and once again he shot her an annoyed look.

“I think you’ve been in England for too long.”

The mentioning of that land instantly made her remember what she had lost and her heart clench, the smile slowly drifted away from her face. Robin watched her curiously.

“I’m sorry, did I say something wrong?”

“Uh, no,” Buffy replied, shaking her head. “Just… memories.”

“Oh, I see,” Robin nodded and his eyes instantly traveled to her rounded stomach. Buffy noticed where his eyes were and suddenly felt the need to cover herself, but she had to be content with crossing her arms over her chest instead to not act too bluntly.

“Anyway, Buffy, I was hoping to talk to you in my office if you have a moment?”

Buffy shrugged. “Sure, Robin.”

A small grin appeared on her colleague and friend’s face. Buffy frowned at him. “What?”

“Your little rule didn’t last long, huh? Now it’s Robin again.”

Rolling her eyes slightly, Buffy gestured with her hand through the now empty corridors. “Look around, principal. You see any students?”

“I’m not getting into another fight with you, come on, let’s go to my office,” he waved it off and started to walk with a laughing Buffy behind him.

When they reached his office door he opened it and let Buffy step inside. She took her place in font of the desk, where usually the students would sit when it was time to get a lecture from the principal.

Robin closed the door and returned to his seat behind the desk and plopped down in the chair with a sigh. Buffy watched him in amusement.

“You getting comfortable yet?”

“Too much. I’m afraid I’ll start living in here, considering how much work there’s been over the last months.”

“It’s been much, yes, but it’s not that bad,” she tried.

“You know what time it is?” He suddenly asked, earning Buffy to scowl at him. “It’s two o’clock and guess how many students I’ve had in here today?”

“I didn’t really count ‘em, but I’d say… about five?”

“Eleven,” Robin corrected her. Buffy’s eyes widened a little and she formed a little ‘oh’ with her mouth with no sound coming out.

“That much…”

“Exactly that much and I can assure you it’s not over yet.”

Buffy worried her bottom lip before answering thoughtfully, “Well, you don’t know that for sure…”

“Wanna bet?”

“Not really, I always lose.”

“I don’t.”

“Good for you.”

The silence fell over the room for a few minutes, making Buffy start to laugh.

“No offence, but did you just bring me in here for small talk or did you actually have something in mind?”

Just as the words left her mouth she realized how wrong they sounded and she quickly closed her mouth. Considering the small history she and Robin had, that was not one of the brightest things to say. Buffy knew the principal still was interested in her but she had told him that since she was his employee it wouldn’t look good if they got together. They had gone on a few dates before she started seeing Angel but she had ended it before it got serious. Buffy enjoyed having him as a friend, but she guessed this was the disadvantage with having your ex as a friend.

“I didn’t mean…”

Robin smiled at her. “I know you didn’t, Buffy, and it’s totally fine.”

“But still, I –“

“Hey, no harm done here,” he interrupted her before she started to ramble again. “I know we couldn’t have a relationship, and I’m perfectly fine with having you as my friend.”

Buffy smiled. “Me too, you’ve been a good friend, Robin.”

“So, back to business,” he started and let his arm bows rest on the desk. “I just wanted to check how you’ll be working here from now on. When is the baby’s due?”

“They haven’t set a date yet but sometime next April,”
Buffy said. “But I promise you I will be working until you won’t be able to stand me any longer.”

“That won’t be a problem,” he laughed. “The thing is, I don’t want you to work off your ass here and risk getting stressed. If you want some time off, just call out.”

Buffy shook her head and insisted. “I want to work, and just because we’re friends you can’t give me privileges like that.”

“I’m not, but I want you to take care of yourself and the little one. You can’t risk the baby’s health.”

“Look, it’s nice that you care, Robin,” Buffy sighed, “but
I can take care of myself without you letting me leave work whenever I want.”

Buffy had always hated it when she was being told what to do, even if there were no offence intended. She knew Robin only wanted what was best for her, but letting her do things the other employees didn’t get to do was not her thing.

“Buffy, I know it’s hard for a single mom to work and take care of a child from experience,” he continued. “Trust me. My mother barley had any time left for me once she got home from work and I practically lived at the kinder garden.”

Buffy started to become a little irritated. “You’re saying I’m doomed to fail?”

“No, that’s not it, and you know it,” he said, looking into her eyes. “You’re my friend, and I care for you. I’m only giving you the chance my mother didn’t get from her boss. I don’t expect anything from you.”

“Robin, thank you, but I have my mom,” she said a little calmer this time, “and my sister. Even my dad and I are getting along. I’m not alone in this.”

“Good, then that’s only a plus,” Robin simply said and clasped his hands together as if the deal was settled and Buffy had to resist the urge to groan.

“I’ll be fine.”

“I know you will, and getting some time off work will only do you good.”

“But – “

“End of conversation.”

“I swear to God, Robin, I’ll –“

“Don’t get upset about it,” Robin said, trying to mask his amusement. “You’re a very independent woman and I admire you for that, but don’t push every help you can get away. I’m here for you whenever you need me.”

Realizing she was fighting a losing battle, Buffy finally let out a loud sigh and glared at her friend. “Fine. But don’t think I’ll let you get away with this that easily,” she warned with a pointing finger.

“Not a problem, darling,” he smirked just as a knock on the door took his attention. “Come in.”

The door was opened by Miss Calendar, holding a young boy by the arm who had his eyes on the floor in clear shame. Robin gave Buffy a sight that pretty much said ‘what did I tell you?’ and Buffy couldn’t help but smile.

“What seems to be the problem, Jenny?”

“Mister Fordham here was spending some quality
time in my classroom,” the teacher started with deathly glares at the boy in front of her, “watching porn on the computer before class. He denies it of course but it’s difficult for me to believe him since I personally saw him log into another site as I stood behind him, without him noticing me.”

Robin looked at the boy with disbelief. “And it never stops… This school is doomed, I’ll tell you.”




Spike had forgotten all about the statistics that informed him more people died in car accidents than by flying planes as he sat in the cab, moving towards the little town of Sunnydale with a smile on his face. He had actually made it!

All right, barley but still – now he was here, only minutes from Buffy. His stomach actually hurt after being nervous for hours and hours, but to be honest he was even more nervous now than he had been during the flight from England.

Before he left Cornwall Spike had written down all information he might need when he reached Sunnydale such as Buffy’s address, phone number… Willow had told him that she vaguely remembered Buffy mentioning that she had a sister by the name Dawn who lived with her mother. They’d ran a search on Dawn Summers and found out that she was living with a Joyce Summers on 1630 Revello Drive. Just in case, he had written down the address and that was just his luck since when he came to Buffy’s apartment he saw a note over her name on the door saying Cordelia Chase instead.

Spike remembered the name and figured it must be her friend living there and when he’d knocked on the door, an Irish guy had opened the door, telling him that Cordelia was in Los Angeles over the week and that they were living there while their apartment was renovated.

When Spike asked him about Buffy, he became suspicious and didn’t want to leak him any information, only telling him that she probably was at work. He didn’t blame the guy, he would probably have done the same thing if he was in his place.

That left him back at square one with two options. Either he could get to a hotel and try to look Buffy up the day after or he could go to the house were her family probably lived. Being too curious and impatient he had decided for the last one but as the cab pulled to a stop outside the house he started to become nervous.

This was it, if it was the right house that is.

Paying the cab, he stood and looked at the house for a few moments before he walked on shaking legs towards the door.

As she stood in front of it he reached his hand out to the knock but withdrew his hand from it just before his hand met the wooden door. His hand ran through his hair, suddenly remembering that he had spent nearly a day on a plane.

‘I must look like shit…’

Once again running a hand through his hair to get his curls under control, he took a deep breath and decided to do it. He knocked two times and stepped back with his heart drumming hard against his chest.
There was a moment of silence, only the soft sound of the birds’ chirping reached his ears. Then the door opened, by a young girl. She had her chestnut hair in a pony tale and was clad in blue jeans and a black tank top. Her face confirmed his suspicions – this was Buffy’s sister.

“Who are you?” She asked, confused.

“Hi, uh…” He smiled in embarrassment .”I’m… I’m

Sp – uh, William Giles. I’m looking for your sister.”

Dawn studied him for a moment. “You’re English.”

Chuckling slightly, he answered, “Yes, I am.”

“Buffy doesn’t have any British friends.”

“Well, we’ve only known each other for a few weeks,
when she was in Cornwall over the summer and – “

“Wait!” The girl held up her hand to make him stop
talking and watched him with her moment ajar. “You’re… You’re Spike?”

‘She’s talked about me?’

“Yeah, if you prefer that,” he said and started to become a little scared when the girl continued to stare
at him.

“Wow, I didn’t picture you like this.”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Am I supposed to take that as a compliment or…?”

“No, no. Just… you’re not the typical guy Buffy would hook up with. Definitely hotter.”

His eyes widened and he began to cough as Dawn laughed at him.

“Right,” he mumbled. “Uh, is Buffy… Does Buffy live here with you?”

“Yeah, she does. Her friends are borrowing her apartment and mom didn’t want her to live alone
during the circumstances. I just don’t get why she doesn’t tell Angel and move in with him, it’s the least he could do, you know?”

Spike shook his head. “What?

‘She’s back together with Angel?’ His heart clenched at that. ‘She’s moved on…’

“My God, I just realize you’re here!” Dawn suddenly exclaimed, putting her hands to her mouth. “Did you come here from England?”

“Obviously,” Spike grinned. “I wanted to visit Buffy, we didn’t really have a chance to say good bye so…”

“She’s gonna be so happy that you’re here. Buffy told me a lot about you. She should be off work by now,” Dawn mumbled and looked at her watch.

“Why isn’t she living with Angel?” Spike dared to ask. If he wouldn’t get the chance to ask Buffy the questions he could might as well ask her sister.

“I guess she hasn’t told him yet… Or that she doesn’t want to. I don’t blame her, he’s a dick according to me.”

“I know what you mean…” Spike mumbled at the memory of the git. “Wait, told him what?”

Dawn looked at him in confusion. “That she’s pregnant of course.”

Spike felt all the air knock out of him, he barley heard the car doors being slammed until he heard the so familiar voice greet her sister and then come to a sudden stop as she spotted the bleached blond standing on the door steps.

He slowly turned around towards the woman he loved and swallowed hard as she stared at him, a hand covering her mouth.

“Spike.”