Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews! It means a lot to know that you guys like this story!
I have changed one thing in the first chapter, two people told me that it's quite a long way to Cornwall from London so I changed it to another one. Thanks for noticing :)
Chapter 4. Getting to know you

“It’s hot!” Buffy squealed and Spike laughed at her. They were sitting outside the Wicca again in the warm sun and eating their lunch together.

“Can’t say I didn’t warn ya,” Spike told her and took a sip of his water.

“Ho said I blaamed o?” She got out and Spike smiled even more. “Sorry,” she said and took the water from him, frenetically waving her hand against her mouth.

“Hey, that’s mine,” he said but she had already taken it and drank it all in a gulp. “Or, was.”

“Sorry, I didn’t want a burned tongue,” she smiled, blushing.

“Doesn’t matter, worth it to see you blush,” he said and leant on his elbows against the table. “And, as it seems, I got what I wanted?”

Buffy sighed and shook her head at his comment, but couldn’t hide the small smile that was forming on her lips.

“So, what do you say about surfing lesson tomorrow? I heard it’s gonna be great weather, well, perfect surfing weather anyway.”

The truth in the back of her mind dug its way forward to her conscious. She knew she shouldn’t do this, and yet she’d given in uncountable times.

“Spike, look,” she said. “I decided already before I went here that I wasn’t going to get involved with someone, considering I just broke up with my ex back home and this… It’s going to far, I-”

“Buffy, stop,” Spike interrupted. “Who said anything about that we have to be more than friends? Can’t we get to know each other? As friends I mean, if that’s what you want.”

Buffy tuck a strain of hair behind her ear and chewed her bottom lip. He was right, wasn’t he? At least she wanted him to be right. She had a lot of guy-friends back home, so why couldn’t Spike be?

“Sure. Okay, we’ll do that,” she said. “Is… is it okay with you?”

“Anything to get to know you,” he smiled.

“You know, you’re not as bad as everyone says you are,” she said with a slight nod.

“Why, thank you,” Spike mumbled with a raised eyebrow.

“No, I mean… I talked to Tara and it seemed like you… Well, was this mean, superior guy with no heart at all.”

“Ah,” he nodded. “Nice to know people speak so highly of me…”

“She didn’t mean it in a bad way, she just talked about you and she also said that you’re a very nice guy underneath the hard surface.”

“Don’t patronize me,” he smiled. “Now, shouldn’t we get to the knowing part, eh?”

“What about twenty questions? I’ll start. Where does the name Spike come from?”

“You’ve been waiting for this all day haven’t you?” Spike smirked.

Buffy shrugged. “Maybe. Now tell me.”

“’fraid I can’t do that, luv. Not yet anyway. That’s a question you can ask in the future.”

“Come on, is it that bad?” Buffy insisted but she gave up when she saw his determined face.

“Okay, your turn.”

“Well… What’s your last name?”

“Summers. Why don’t people call you William?”

“You’re really in for the name part, huh pet?” Spike sighed.

“Tsk. You’re one to talk.”

“Never liked the name, it… It brings back memories I’m trying to forget… How old are you?”

“I’m 25. You?”

“26.”

“Close enough.”

“What do you do?” Spike continued.

“I’m a guidance counselor at Sunnydale High School, which was were I went to high school by the way. I’ve been working there since I graduated from college. I repeat the question you asked. Tara told me that you do a lot of stuff.”

“She told a lot about me, huh? Well, I like music; singing, playing, you name it. And of course the surfing. During the other times of the year I work with Glenda at the Wiccan to get some extra money. Otherwise, not much.”

“Why are you staying here?” Buffy asked.

Spike was quiet for a few seconds, obviously thinking. “Why not? I mean, I have my friends here, my family and… I grew up here, so I’m not really in for the leaving part.”

“I can understand that. I felt like that when I was going to collage. I actually applied for going to UC Sunnydale and of course, it’s a beautiful village.”

“Speaking of hometowns, you said you left because of your ex?” Spike said and Buffy sighed.

“Yeah. That guy, I’m seriously trying to forget his name so I guess that tells you a lot, huh?”

“What did he do? I mean, if you wanna tell”, Spike added.

“It’s okay. He… We were together for almost a half year. Nice guy until I saw him uncountable times flirting with women in the bar. He denied, of course, and I don’t think it went as far as to more than a kiss but I wanted out of it before it turned out worse. He’s a tricky guy, Angel. I met him through my dad, Angel was a ‘student’ at his law firm and pretty much like the son he never had for him so I bet I’m not that popular anymore.”

Spike nodded and felt a jealousy spread through him at the thought of Buffy with someone else which he tried to shake off. He wasn’t supposed to feel anything for her, she obviously wasn’t interested.

“So you left for a vacation?”

“Yeah, that’s about it. I needed some time away you know the last weeks of this summer. It hasn’t really been the best, but I hope this can change that. So, my turn. Do you live around here?”

Spike nodded. “In the same house until I was eighteen, then I got my own place. Thought about moving into London but things happened and I decided to stay here.”

Buffy nodded and felt that she shouldn’t ask why he didn’t move. Actually she was kinda happy he hadn’t moved, because if he had then she’d never had met him.

“Then I have to ask, how come your name is Buffy?” Spike grinned. “I mean, it doesn’t have that… touch of classic elegance…”

“Naha, if I can’t ask about yours then you won’t know about mine and what’s wrong with Buffy?”

“Well, I’ve never met anyone named Buffy before. It’s a different name, pet. Sound more like a-“

“Oh, don’t you dare say it,” Buffy pointed.

“Okay, I won’t if you tell me your story.”

“That’s not fair, you know, so I won’t tell… Except that my mom calls me that.”

Spike smiled. “And your dad?” Buffy’s smile faded and she glanced down at her food.

“I don’t see him a lot. He left us when I was fourteen and he talked to me like… twice until I started seeing Angel. I don’t even think he cares about me at all anymore.”

Spike felt bad for brining this out of her and wanted more than anything just to hold her. “Sorry, love. I didn’t mean to bring him up…”

Buffy shook her head. “It’s okay. I’m over it.”

“You, uh… You wanna talk about it? You don’t have to, but I know things like that becomes simpler when you don’t keep it inside.”

“You’re right. The hardest time was right after he left because we didn’t talk about it at all, me and my mom. Not even with my sister. It was my friend Cordelia who got me out of it, her parents divorced when her dad lost everything because of false taxes during ten years and she understood me, even though mom wanted a divorce ‘cus dad cheated on her. It was the same feeling. Oh, look at that. You made me talk like a… talk person or whatever.”

Spike smiled a gentle smile.

“It’s good that you talk, it would be awfully quiet if you didn’t.”

“Hey, you talk too.”

“Yeah, but only with persons I feel comfortable with.”

Buffy tensed at first but soon let a smile play on her lips which was relief for Spike.

-------------

“Sweetie, look at them,” Tara sad and smiled happily through the window at the couple outside the Wicca. Willow came up behind her. “Aren’t they so cute together?”

Willow nodded. “They’re just as perfect. Buffy seems to bring out the real William there, and just after two days. Damn, it took me a half year!” She exclaimed.

Tara smiled at her. “He likes her, it’s obvious. I’d be happy if they became a couple.”

“Me too. I like Buffy, and she’s staying for another seven weeks so they have a lot of time. Hey, what do you say, we can invite Spike for dinner tonight too?”

“That’s a great idea. And, we could let them talk even more between dinner and stuff. It’s perfect.”

“Those two are gonna get together. I’m sure. See, my resolve face,” Willow said, pointing at her face.

“I can see that, sweetie.”