Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for the reviews! I've also changed the wrong spellings from the last chapter, thanks to those of you who noticed that.

And, a big hug to my beta Chriss, hope you'll get better soon!
Chapter 5 - Dinner

Buffy stood outside Willow and Tara’s cute little house later that night and took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell. She had decided to wear a yellow sundress that was cut to her knees and her flip flops. Her hair was hanging down her shoulders with a little bit curled and she felt pretty content with herself.

“Buffy! You look awesome!” Willow exclaimed as she opened the door. “Come in, Tara and I am making the food. It will be done within ten minutes and Spike’s already in there. Make yourself at home.”

“Thanks, Will,” Buffy smiled and made her way into the comfy living room. Oh my God, he looks so handsome…

His breath hitched in his throat when he saw her. God, she’s beautiful, a natural beauty... “Hey, luv,” he said, standing up. “You look… absolutely perfect.”

Buffy blushed for what felt like the hundredth time in just two days and smiled. “Thank you; you don’t look so bad yourself.”

Spike curled up a slight smile. “So, what do you think of the town now when you been here for a while?” He said and poured her drink.

“Thanks,” she said and accepted the glass. “Well, I like it. It’s a nice change from good ole Sunny D, you know. I like the place, the people, the…”

“The people?” Spike interrupted.

“Yeah,” she said, slightly nervous. Why did I have to say that? “I’ve met a lot of interesting people on my trip and none of them have been an ass so… That’s quite a change. Good change.”

Spike nodded and was about to speak when Tara and Willow entered the room again with the food.

“Guys, dinner’s ready. Let’s sit down, shall we?”

---------------------------

“No!” Buffy burst out, hand covering her mouth hours later.

“Yes, big yes,” Willow nodded firmly.

“Please, say you’re kidding me!”

Tara smiled as Willow shook her head.

“So you’re actually saying that when you and Spike met you met at the women’s clinic? Oh, god…” She started laughing again and earned a light smack over her arm from Spike.

”Hey, give that up. I was actually going the wrong bloody –”

“Oh, no you weren’t,” Willow continued. “You were looking to get laid.”

Spike groaned and put his face in his hands. “Please, don’t ever tell anyone that story again.”

“Aw… And miss you squirm like that. No way, I’m having too fun, right, sweetie?” Willow turned to Tara who nodded.

Buffy wiped away a tear. “And I am glad, believe me, that you told me about it. I can really see you in there…” She started laughing again but quickly stopped when she felt her head slightly spin. “Whoa… Too much to drink, I guess.”

Tara turned to the clock. “Well, it is 3 am. You think we should call it a night?”

“Probably, or otherwise I’m gonna have a major hangover tomorrow and I really don’t want that. Not that I won’t have it anyway…”

“I can follow you home, pet,” Spike said, standing up.

“Oh, you don’t have to do-“

“I will follow you home,” he said, more determined.

“If you insist”, Buffy mumbled with a slight grin.

A few minutes later they were walking in silence on the small sidewalk through the village. Comfortable silence, Buffy added to her mind. It had been a long time since she’d felt so at ease with a new person. No… She had never felt so at ease with a person so quickly. Not even with Angel whom she had known really well before they started dating. It took her a good few months to totally relax. But not with Spike. Why?

“You still there, luv?” Spike asked, slightly tilting his head.

Buffy woke up from her deep thoughts and shook her head. “Yeah, sorry. Was just thinking.”

“’bout what?”

She shrugged. About how I really want to… kiss you and how I can’t. Arg, I’m so screwed up… “Nothing special. Just… Life.”

“Life, huh? There’s a whole lot to think about then.”

She chewed her bottom lip and Spike had to hide a smile when he saw her frown. “I don’t wanna leave. I like it here.”

“Good, ‘cus then I can have more of you.” Spike regretted saying that the moment the words were out of his mouth. Buffy stared at him with her mouth slightly opened. “Buffy, I didn’t mean to…”

“You know, I think I’ll just go home now,” Buffy said and started to walk but was stopped by Spike gripping her arm.

“No please, wait. I didn’t mean it that way. I…”

“Spike, I already told you that I’m not here to find a new guy. I wanted some time for myself. Recover and… I can’t do that if… I’m sorry, but I really need to go.”

“Please wait, Buffy. I’m sorry, it just slipped out. I just meant that if you were leaving in like a week, then I wouldn’t get the chance to know you better. Not what you thought or what it sounded like.”

Buffy looked at him and raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

No. “Yes, really.”

“Sorry, I’m being too hard on you… I just, well I don’t want to stop spending time with you ‘cus I really like you. As a friend,” she quickly added.

“As a friend, of course. What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Nothing that I know of. Why?”

“I thought we could take that surfing lesson. If you want to, that is,” he added, suddenly feeling insecure. What was it with Buffy that made him feel more… vulnerable? More like the old him?

Buffy smiled. “I’d love to.”

Spike leant forward and Buffy caught her breath and felt herself relax when his lips landed on her cheek for a chaste kiss. She didn’t know if she was really relieved or… disappointed. But she decided to not let herself think about that right now as they reach her house.

“See you tomorrow then.”

“Will do. See ya.”

-----------------------------

“Is it too late to change my mind?” Buffy said, looking nervously at Spike who just grinned.

“What? You’re scared? Scared of the… big, crashing waves that could devour you any minute if you don’t watch out or about those sharp rocks down-“

“Scared? No way. And, that really helps, Spike! Thank you for your very informative talk. So, again I’m asking you; is it too late to back out?”

“’fraid so, pet,” he said as he picked out a board to her. “But of course, if you’re too scared you don’t have to. I won’t make you, but I promise that if you do you will have the best time of your life.”

Buffy sighed and reached for her surfing board with a pout. “Okay. But you promise to help me?”

“No matter what. Come on, let’s get into the water now, shall we?”

“We shall.”

-----------------------------

“Okay, good… Keep your balance. Don’t lean to much forward, try to find a place you feel safe in… good,” Spike said about an hour later. He stood beside Buffy in the water and held out his hand to catch her if she fell.

“Would be easy if I wasn’t standing on a damn board out in the sea,” Buffy mumbled.

“It’s hard in the beginning, but you’ll learn.”

“Easy for you to say, I mean you’ve done this since you were what? Five? It’s harder the older you get, you know.”

“I know. I have surfing lessons for small kids and you’re acting just like one,” he muttered and earned a slap over the chest from Buffy. “Ow, that hurt.”

“That’s what you get if you compare me to small children.”

“They’re good, and nice. And, they know they have to be patient, ask them.” He turned around as if he searched for someone. “Hey, Lilly! Come over here,” he shouted at a small girl who immediately came up beside him.

“Spike, you’re gonna get me embarrassed, don’t-“

Spike smirked. “It’s no big deal. Lilly is a great girl, and you shouldn’t have any problem with kids, you work at a school.”

“Yeah I know but-“

“Hey, coach. Watcha doing?”

“Hey, nibblet. And you know you can call me Spike outside training. Don’t really mind if you doin’ it there either. Anyway, this is Buffy, Buffy this is Lilly.”

“Hi, Lilly,” Buffy said, struggling to not fall of the board. “I would shake your hand, but I’m afraid that would be a little difficult considering my lack of balance…”

“I’m Lilly, nice to meet you. You’re not from England are you?”

“No, California. I’m just here on vacation.”

“That sounds nice. Is Spike teaching you how to surf?”

Buffy nodded and the girl smiled. “Then you’re learning from the best.” Spike laughed and tousled her hair.

“That’s sweet, Lilly. Now, will you tell Buffy to have patience because she won’t listen to me.”

He turned to Buffy and smirked. God, what a sexy smirk… Stop it, Buffy! Listen to the girl…

“Yeah, it really isn’t that hard. I’m sure you will learn it by the end of the day. Spike probably won’t let you go before you can stand up.”

Buffy blushed at the part ‘won’t let you go’. Even though she knew that didn’t mean what she thought about right now.

“Thanks, Lilly. I’ll remember that. You’re gonna have to come by later and see how I’m holding up,” she smiled.

“Okay. Good luck! Bye Spike. Bye Buffy.”

“See you, Lilly,” Spike replied and turned smilingly at Buffy with a risen eyebrow. “So, what did I tell you?”

“You probably paid her to say that,” Buffy mumbled. “No, honestly, you’re both right. What a little cute girl by the way. She really seems to like you.”

“Yeah? She’s a good kid, a little angel. Although… I think she’s having trouble at home, so she’s not always up for everything. Lilly can be pretty down some days. But I think the surfing gets her to not think about it that much. It gives her some sort of… peace.”

Buffy felt bad for the little girl. She seemed so nice and sweet. “Oh, what kind of problems? I know that many of the kids at Sunnydale High find some sport or other activities as a peaceful haven when they’re having problems at home. I’ve seen it dozens of times. Do you know what’s going on at her house?”

Spike sighed and rested his hands on Buffy’s board. “I can guess. She won’t say much and I don’t want to pressure her or make her remember when she’s finally okay. But I’ve seen some damn horrible bruises on her a few times and I remember one time when she flinched as soon as anyone touched her.”

“How can someone do that to such a sweet, innocent girl? It’s horrible. Can’t someone do anything?”

“I’ve tried, but she refuses to be helped. But I swear if I see her hurt some other time in the near future I won’t listen to her anymore.”

“I’ll help you then. I’ve dealt with a lot of cases like this.” Buffy tilted her head. “You seem really attached to her. And you care. I’m sure they’re happy to have you here.”

Spike smiled at her. “They’re wonderful, all of them. Don’t wanna see them get hurt.” Buffy smiled back at him and then turned her attention back to the surfing board. “Okay, I think Lilly got me convinced. I will try again.”

Just a few moments later, Buffy was standing, keeping her balance. Spike applauded with a great smile.

“Woah, look I did it!” She exclaimed.

“Good work, Buffy. See, that wasn’t so hard now, was it?”

Buffy shook her head, but at the same time she did that she fell down into the water before Spike could catch her. Panic rose in him when she didn’t come up directly, but he breathed again when she suddenly came up again and crawled onto the board again in a sitting position, laughing hard.

“Oh, god, believe me when I say that I am the clumsiest person on the earth.”

Spike laughed with her. “No you’re not, I’ve seen way more clumsier people than you. But, I have to agree that you were pretty, well… clumsy, little miss-”

“Sunshine?” A hypnotizing, deep voice said from behind. Spike tensed up and turned around with a sigh.

“Drusilla...”